Scandal Racist fan throws banana at Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

Oddly that footage disturbs me more than banana throwing girl

Why?

For one he's a kid and what kind of hate have parents bread into this kid that makes him do that
As opposed to what kind of hate is "bread" into someone that they would refer to an Aboriginal person as a monkey?

Last edited:
However Goodes, after learning of the girl's age, declared "Racism has a face, and it's a 13yo girl." He then held a full-scale presser the next dayand continued his diatribe as AOTY.
Misquoted what Goodes said, put events in an incorrect timeline and then made vague, damning statements about his AOTY speech which I would wager you probably still haven't watched in its entirety.

Oh wow.. who would've thought that Eddie would be applauded for his non-confrontational approach. The little black fella kept in his place and didn't get uppity about it..

Adam Goodes, on the other hand, well he brought it on himself, standing up like he did

Don't change, Australia... We can stay in the 50s if we try hard enough

And here they come, the infamous angry Left. Ask yourself why Betts was well received and Goodes wasn't. There's an element of Betts being a cheeky little scamp whereas Goodes cuts an imposing figure, but that's peripheral.

Well done Eddie Betts and PAFC. Out.

Betts plays for a much more likable team. If he had played for Sydney no doubt that campaigner Ireland will come out and put some words in Eddie's mouth and we'll be booing Eddie till he quits.

Misquoted what Goodes said, put events in an incorrect timeline and then made vague, damning statements about his AOTY speech which I would wager you probably still haven't watched in its entirety.

I have, and he made more than one speech. But as said earlier, it's old ground. You're just looking for an argument. No sale.

Oddly that footage disturbs me more than banana throwing girl

Why?

For one he's a kid and what kind of hate have parents bread into this kid that makes him do that

Do Freo have this level of hatred towards WCE? Port are on another level when it comes to their hatred of us.

I have, and he made more than one speech. But as said earlier, it's old ground. You're just looking for an argument. No sale.
You've deliberate misconstrued what Goodes said and, did then when it's pointed out you avoid it, accusing me of looking for a fight. That's absolutely pathetic.

No. That's central.

It seems we still like our blackfellas to be of a certain type. Little goalsneaks with permanent cheeky grins. God help us if one doesn't fit our blackfella stereotype.

The only difference I can see between the situations is that Betts wasn't immediately aware of the particular act of racism. I applaud Eddie Betts and his handling of the situation. I also applaud Adam Goodes. And PAFC and SSFC.

I don't applaud those who still think they can hide in a crowd and racially abuse Aboriginal footballers.

Buddy you little goal sneak with cheeky grin...

1. You are not my mate
2. You misrepresented Adam Goodes. As did some media reports.
3. The mob mentality resulted in one of the greats leaving our game under very sad circumstances. It was as much about tribalism trying to take Sydney down as it was reactions to his behaviour in the way you have misrepresented, but there was a significant level of racism amongst the mob.

1. its a colloquial term.
2. Nobody misrepresented Goodes. We all know he could've handled things better. people just didnt like him for his sliding, kneeing, ducking, squirrel gripping etc. and then when he calls the whole country racist and accepts an AOTY award under the premise that he thinks the award is BS in the first place.
3. How long do you think goodes was going to play on? he was 35 at the end of last season.

If you read carefully, Ron acknowledges Goodes was booed because he was 'an outspoken minority'. He directly corellated Malcolm X v JLK.

Apparently being an outspoken minority in the face of overwhelming racism is 'a bad thing'.

In other words, If I were to hang shit on Ron, and he were to speak out about it, he's the one that deserves public ridicule, and not me.

Pretty warped logic.

There are different ways to be outspoken.
Goodes didnt attempt to 'shed a light' on it so that the problem could be fixed, he inflamed the problem and acted in a divisive manner.

Comparing him to either MLK or Malcolm X is quite frankly insulting to either of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodes didnt attempt to 'shed a light' on it so that the problem could be fixed, he inflamed the problem and acted in a divisive manner.

Comparing him to either MLK or Malcolm X is quite frankly insulting to either of them.

Adam Goodes acted in an inflamatory manner, but Malcom X didnt?

Bro, you need to read up on Malcom X.

Divisive manner? I thought Lincoln acted in a divisive manner when he declared war on the south.

Don't want to derail this thread because Goodes discussions only end one way. However Goodes, after learning of the girl's age, declared "Racism has a face, and it's a 13yo girl." He then held a full-scale presser the next day and continued his diatribe as AOTY.

Said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think Goodesy is a bad person. However public reaction towards him remains divided, because his approach was confrontational and accusatory. I'm glad he has resisted the urge to weigh in on this incident and perhaps turn a generally positive outcome into something nasty.
Nope- the words, the approach Goodes took- perfectly reasonable, conciliatory. I suspect the objections to Goodes are really based on the fact he calls racism for what it is, and because he doesn't conform by being passive about racist attitudes, and people don't like to be reminded of their flaws.

Nope- the words, the approach Goodes took- perfectly reasonable, conciliatory. I suspect the objections to Goodes are really based on the fact he calls racism for what it is, and because he doesn't conform by being passive about racist attitudes, and people don't like to be reminded of their flaws.

It's pretty complex. The people who dislike Goodes (or at least, his public persona), do so for a variety of reasons. That much is undeniable. You can't simply cry "Racist!" at every boo-er or detractor as the AFL tried to do.

Not saying he didnt, but comparing Goodes to either of those men is quite frankly disgusting.

Malcom X (in his first incarnation with the Nation of Islam) was an borderline Islamic extremist and Black nationalist (the Black version of the KKK) who advocated violence and thought the white man was the Devil.

He recanted those positions (and left the Nation of Islam) after a pilgrimage to Mecca.

Im fairly confident you have no idea what youre talking about here.

It's pretty complex. The people who dislike Goodes (or at least, his public persona), do so for a variety of reasons. That much is undeniable. You can't simply cry "Racist!" at every detractor as the AFL tried to do.

Im sure some of the people that lynched blacks and erected burning crosses in their front yards were just along for the community spirit also.

You wanna throw your lot in with a bunch of racists, knowing they're a bunch of racists, you're no different in my books.

It's pretty complex. The people who dislike Goodes (or at least, his public persona), do so for a variety of reasons. That much is undeniable. You can't simply cry "Racist!" at every booer or detractor as the AFL tried to do.
Its sort of complex. Its couched in a variety of ways and people find various justifications for finding his methods offensive. But if he was a Dane Swan type, I wonder if he'd be called a 'character' and people would be a lot more indulgent. We are quite a racist country really, whether you like it or not.

Its sort of complex. Its couched in a variety of ways and people find various justifications for finding his methods offensive. But if he was a Dane Swan type, I wonder if he'd be called a 'character' and people would be a lot more indulgent. We are quite a racist country really, whether you like it or not.

Well Goodesy getting up and saying Australia is a nation built on lies is akin to a Brownlow winner saying footy fans are stupid in his acceptance speech. Even if there's a grain of truth to it, people don't want to hear that shit. Trashing the platform wins nobody over.

Well Goodesy getting up and saying Australia is a nation built on lies is akin to a Brownlow winner saying footy fans are stupid in his acceptance speech. Even if there's a grain of truth to it, people don't want to hear that shit. It wins nobody over.
Why don't people want to hear 'that shit'-what the truth hurts or something?
And you clearly have not read the whole speech because if you had, you would realize its not a divisive speech at all. The fact you seem to have taken that out of the speech and label it 'that shit' tells me more about your attitudes than his I suspect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Racist fan throws banana at Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back