Scandal Racist fan throws banana at Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

That was later established. But as has been discussed in detail ITT, whilst acknowledging the possibility, not everybody drew that conclusion immediately.

As such I deleted my initial post ITT after reading of the "monkey" comment (which was only an allegation at that stage). But alas, too late to avoid being drawn in...

Whilst there has been a post or two I've later regretted, my stance towards Aboriginals has been consistently tough but fair. I've probably done more to help than a good many people flaming me.
Can't agree re the 'later established' view. If you don't recognize the inherently racist intent re the banana after all the educating we have had, well...

The Betts incident is so clear cut that I don't think there could've been any other response except what we have now, regardless of the Goodes incident.
Perhaps, and we can't know but I suspect at not too long ago in our history, that incident would have been ignored, or tolerated. Goodes, whether you appreciated his methods or not, has contributed greatly to having these issues firmly placed in the the spotlight. And that is a good thing.

Can't agree re the 'later established' view. If you don't recognize the inherently racist intent re the banana after all the educating we have had, well...

Koch purposely held off declaring it an act of racism until the facts were established. I have nothing to add to what's already been said on that point.

Koch purposely held off declaring it an act of racism until the facts were established. I have nothing to add to what's already been said on that point.
Yep, and that is probably a prudent way for Koch to go publicly. But, as I have said, there is no grey area re the banana connotation.
Anyone who says these days 'I didn't know'.. well just sounds like an athlete who takes a performance enhancing headache tablet-I don't buy it.

Yep, and that is probably a prudent way for Koch to go publicly. But, as I have said, there is no grey area re the banana connotation.
Anyone who says these days 'I didn't know'.. well just sounds like an athlete who takes a performance enhancing headache tablet-I don't buy it.

That's OK that you don't buy it, we're allowed to differ. Doesn't mean those who wanted to wait should be criticised.

A parallel for you. You may well have missed it if you read The Age, but a savage stabbing murder took place near Townsville yesterday with the French assailant shouting 'Allahu Akbar' as he attacked. The police commissioner declared soon after that the murder had nothing to do with religion. I'm calling bollocks since murderers don't normally praise their deity in the act, but others might want further proof.

That's OK that you don't buy it, we're allowed to differ. Doesn't mean those who wanted to wait should be criticised.

A parallel for you. You may well have missed it if you read The Age, but a savage stabbing murder took place near Townsville yesterday with the French assailant shouting 'Allahu Akbar' as he attacked. The police commissioner declared soon after that the murder had nothing to do with religion. I'm calling bollocks since murderers don't normally praise their deity in the act, but others might want further proof.

It's thoroughly unsurprising that you'd jump on as soon as you think Islam is involved yet you want more evidence about whether throwing a banana at a black man has racist undertones.

It's thoroughly unsurprising that you'd jump on as soon as you think Islam is involved yet you want more evidence about whether throwing a banana at a black man has racist undertones.

Well if he'd yelled 'Hare Krishna' I wouldn't have made the connection. Maybe the fact that you instantly connect black people with bananas is significant somehow.

PS Congrats on the 20+ likes on the first page.

Last edited:

Nope, doesn't mean they should be criticized but does mean they are inexplicably ignorant!
Can't really see the parallels sorry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aboriginal <=> banana
'Allahu Akbar!' <=> Islam

Maybe you have a point.
Ok-fair enough -shows we have to be careful in making assumptions. So we wait and find that the investigations into the Betts incident showed that racism was involved. The police investigations into the Townsville incident have so far found no links to terrorism-nothing on the laptop etc.
Seems a bit much bringing that case into this discussion when its so recent and so dreadful I must say.

Ok-fair enough -shows we have to be careful in making assumptions. So we wait and find that the investigations into the Betts incident showed that racism was involved. The police investigations into the Townsville incident have so far found no links to terrorism-nothing on the laptop etc.
Seems a bit much bringing that case into this discussion when its so recent and so dreadful I must say.

Well the commissioner said it had nothing to do with religion. Even if the perp turns out to be an insane Buddhist, that statement is patently wrong.

You may well have missed it if you read The Age, but a savage stabbing murder took place near Townsville yesterday with the French assailant shouting 'Allahu Akbar' as he attacked. The police commissioner declared soon after that the murder had nothing to do with religion. I'm calling bollocks since murderers don't normally praise their deity in the act, but others might want further proof.

Is that you Pauline Hanson? Murderers often scream out God or the Devil told them to do it, or claim to be Jesus.

Do you blame that on Christians too?

The guy was completely mental, whose workmates say snapped, started acting 'highly erratically' prior to the attack, was telling people the girl and him were married for about a week prior, and basically went completely bonkers before the attack. He was binging on meth and other shit too. He could have just as easily been screaming anything. Blind Freddie can see what happened here, and it certainly doesnt look anything like a religious or political attack, or an act of 'terrorism'.

Trying to pin this act on 'Islam' despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary demeans your entire (already thin) argument to date. He wasnt radicalised, he was just bonkers.

Well if he'd yelled 'Hare Krishna' I wouldn't have made the connection. Maybe the fact that you instantly connect black people with bananas is significant somehow.
Are you honestly attempting to claim that because I'm aware of the history of denigrating black people by comparing them to primates that I'm subconsciously racist?

Well the commissioner said it had nothing to do with religion. Even if the perp turns out to be an insane Buddhist, that statement is patently wrong.

Ron, if I (an Agnostic) go to your house and gun you down simply because I dont like you (or maybe because I like you too much), but happen to scream 'Allah Akbar', or 'Hail Buddah', or 'Amen' while doing it, or claim to do it only becuase my God told me to in my head, does that in any way link the crime to religion?

Is that you Pauline Hanson? Murderers often scream out God or the Devil told them to do it, or claim to be Jesus.

Do you blame that on Christians too?

The guy was completely mental, whose workmates say snapped, started acting 'highly erratically' prior to the attack, was telling people the girl and him were married for about a week prior, and basically went completely bonkers before the attack. He was binging on meth and other shit too. He could have just as easily been screaming anything. Blind Freddie can see what happened here, and it certainly doesnt look anything like a religious or political attack, or an act of 'terrorism'.

Trying to pin this act on 'Islam' despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary demeans your entire (already thin) argument to date. He wasnt radicalised, he was just bonkers.

I didn't try to "pin" anything on Islam. I merely disputed the commissioner's statement that the murder was not connected to religion.

Anyway we are once again getting into SRP territory. The incident was introduced only for the sake of discussing assumptions based on sketchy details.

Are you honestly attempting to claim that because I'm aware of the history of denigrating black people by comparing them to primates that I'm subconsciously racist?

No, I'm merely highlighting the fact that some people made the connection and formed the conviction that it was racism faster than others.

The incident was introduced only for the sake of discussing assumptions based on sketchy details.
But it was a terrible example. In one case you assumed that throwing a banana at a black man wasn't racist until it was proven, and in the other case you assumed that the attack was a religious one until disproven.

Ron, if I (an Agnostic) go to your house and gun you down simply because I dont like you (or maybe because I like you too much), but happen to scream 'Allah Akbar', or 'Hail Buddah', or 'Amen' while doing it, or claim to do it only becuase my God told me to in my head, does that in any way link the crime to religion?

Yeah, because you've screamed a tribute to God as you did it. Maybe this guy only did it because he knew it would cause people to be terrified, I don't know. But there's still a religious connection.

SRP...
But it was a terrible example. In one case you assumed that throwing a banana at a black man wasn't racist until it was proven, and in the other case you assumed that the attack was a religious one until disproven.
Religious connection. SRP.

I didn't try to "pin" anything on Islam. I merely disputed the commissioner's statement that the murder was not connected to religion.

Ron, I hate to break it to you but the QLD Police Commissioner knows a thing or two about crime. More than Ron the Bear on Bigfooty in any event.

It had as much to do with religion as it would if the perp was wearing a 'Jesus is awesome' T-shirt, or was wearing a Kippah on his head. He was a bloke with (from the looks of it) some pretty serious mental health problems, whose health was obiusly deteriorating in the weeks prior and snapped in some kind of psychotic episode (or similar).

Ron, I hate to break it to you but the QLD Police Commissioner knows a thing or two about crime. More than Ron the Bear on Bigfooty in any event.

It had as much to do with religion as it would if the perp was wearing a 'Jesus is awesome' T-shirt, or was wearing a Kippah on his head. He was a bloke with (from the looks of it) some pretty serious mental health problems, whose helth was obiusly deteriorating in the weeks prior and snapped in some kind of psychotic episode (or similar).

Why are they playing it down? SRP...

Edit: Case was shut down for the next two months today. I won't be surprised at anything that emerges from it.

Last edited:
Why are they playing it down? SRP...

They're not playing it down, they're just telling the truth in response to the inevitable curiosity that results thanks to a wave of Islamist attacks, based on what this idiot said. Its fools like you on social media (and of course, Pauline Hanson) that are trying to ascribe some kind of motivation to this crime that from the looks of it, doesnt exist.

You're now insinuating some kind of nefarious leftist agenda to the QLD Police.

Unreal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Racist fan throws banana at Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back