Scandal Racist fan throws banana at Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

Why don't people want to hear 'that shit'-what the truth hurts or something?
And you clearly have not read the whole speech because if you had, you would realize its not a divisive speech at all. The fact you seem to have taken that out of the speech and label it 'that shit' tells me more about your attitudes than his I suspect.

Maybe. I'm certainly not responsive to it. Don't want to go any further on Goodes other than to say I think he was poorly advised.

Once again, you lot will not accept that other people see shades of grey where you see only black & white. You want nothing less than complete acquiescence to your views.

Maybe. I'm certainly not responsive to it. Don't want to go any further on Goodes other than to say I think he was poorly advised.

Once again, you lot will not accept that other people see shades of grey where you see only black & white. You want nothing less than complete acquiescence to your views.

Uhuh.
There is a place for the gentle responses of Eddie Betts and there is a place for the confrontational responses of Goodes. And the path for people's reactions to the Bett's incident were almost certainly made a whole lot easier because of the work of Goodes.

Uhuh.
There is a place for the gentle responses of Eddie Betts and there is a place for the confrontational responses of Goodes. And the path for people's reactions to the Bett's incident were almost certainly made a whole lot easier because of the work of Goodes.

That's certainly likely. It's also the case that nobody could reasonably fault Betts other than that he once wore a Carlton jumper. There has been nothing about the response to the incident (except from the media and maybe Gil who "knew" immediately that it was a racist act) that could reasonably be criticised.

Well Goodesy getting up and saying Australia is a nation built on lies is akin to a Brownlow winner saying footy fans are stupid in his acceptance speech. Even if there's a grain of truth to it, people don't want to hear that shit. Trashing the platform wins nobody over.

I really do think you need to read that speech, and not what various commentators said was contained in that speech, because you'll find the two are quite different.

I read it at the time. Sure, that quote was cherry-picked, but why say it?

Boooooo, Jim!

Well if you read the whole speech, and you think the speech was divisive, then your hate for Adam Goodes is of such an irrational nature that I can only conclude that you are, indeed, a racist.

But I don't think you read the whole speech because I think you are probably too articulate to be a racist and are probably just being lazy in relying on others' reports of the speech.

That's certainly likely. It's also the case that nobody could reasonably fault Betts other than that he once wore a Carlton jumper. There has been nothing about the response to the incident (except from the media and maybe Gil who "knew" immediately that it was a racist act) that could reasonably be criticised.
Yep, but surely Gil was correct to recognize this instantly for what it was-you say there are grey areas, but strikes me that there was no grey in this incident and good on him for calling it immediately. No use pretending and hiding here-the banana speaks volumes re her intent.

Yep, but surely Gil was correct to recognize this instantly for what it was-you say there are grey areas, but strikes me that there was no grey in this incident and good on him for calling it immediately. No use pretending and hiding here-the banana speaks volumes re her intent.

That was later established. But as has been discussed in detail ITT, whilst acknowledging the possibility, not everybody drew that conclusion immediately.

As such I deleted my initial post ITT after reading of the "monkey" comment (which was only an allegation at that stage). But alas, too late to avoid being drawn in...

Whilst there has been a post or two I've later regretted, my stance towards Aboriginals has been consistently tough but fair. I've probably done more to help than a good many people flaming me.

Last edited:
That was later established. But as has been discussed in detail ITT, whilst acknowledging the possibility, not everybody drew that conclusion immediately.

The few people that didnt draw the conclusion immediately also had a strong corellation towards being the same people who advocated (or at the very least defended) the booing of Goodes. Many of the same people also corellate with an argument that Aboriginal themed rounds are 'racist against white people' or an example of 'political correctness gone mad'. More than a few of these people also post in SRP with strong support for more 'right wing' political positions.

Yourself included.

Im sure its all just a co-incidence of course.

The few people that didnt draw the conclusion immediately also had a strong corellation towards being the same people who advocated (or at the very least defended) the booing of Goodes. Many of the same people also corellate with an argument that Aboriginal themed rounds are 'racist against white people' or an example of 'political correctness gone mad'. More than a few of these people also post in SRP with strong support for more 'right wing' political positions.

Yourself included.

Im sure its all just a co-incidence of course.

Pretty sure I've never used the phrase "PC gone mad" (although I am partial to "Leftist jihad"), nor clamoured for "Straight White Male Round". Much of that is simply a reaction to constant brow-beating by unreasonable activists, like support for Trump.

Otherwise, so be it. It's similar in nature to other causes like action against global warming/gay marriage/equal representation in employment. These things take time, but certain people want to flick a switch and make it happen today through e.g. data falsification/media shaming/quotas. I'm content with my lot IRL, where nobody's ever called me a racist.

Otherwise, so be it. It's similar in nature to other causes like action against global warming/gay marriage/equal representation in employment. These things take time, but certain people want to flick a switch and make it happen today through e.g. data falsification/media shaming/quotas. I'm content with my lot IRL, where nobody's ever called me a racist.

It happened three posts up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Goodesy getting up and saying Australia is a nation built on lies is akin to a Brownlow winner saying footy fans are stupid in his acceptance speech. Even if there's a grain of truth to it, people don't want to hear that shit. Trashing the platform wins nobody over.

Yeah he should have just behaved himself and been a good little Aboriginal and not say a word

1. its a colloquial term.
2. Nobody misrepresented Goodes. We all know he could've handled things better. people just didnt like him for his sliding, kneeing, ducking, squirrel gripping etc. and then when he calls the whole country racist and accepts an AOTY award under the premise that he thinks the award is BS in the first place.
3. How long do you think goodes was going to play on? he was 35 at the end of last season.

1. It's term has different meanings dependent on its context. When used with someone I like, it means good friend. With a stranger it means potential friend. With someone who is being passive aggressive and starts with mate when he is contradicting you it means "I am patronising you". But you should know that.
2. You are lying. I explained how Ron The Bear misrepresented Adam Goodes a few posts earlier and he had no answer to the explanation except to call me an angry Leftie.
The calling the whole country racist thing is another exaggeration as well. Funny how racists don't like to be called racists. It hurts their feelings.
3. Goodes' retirement was sad, because of the manner in which he left, not the timing.

Im sure some of the people that lynched blacks and erected burning crosses in their front yards were just along for the community spirit also.

You wanna throw your lot in with a bunch of racists, knowing they're a bunch of racists, you're no different in my books.
I guess if you boo Goodes you might as well be lynching blacks and erecting burning crosses then, in your books :$

Do Freo have this level of hatred towards WCE? Port are on another level when it comes to their hatred of us.

Generally no, but we both can be whipped in a fervour depending on the positions of the teams on the ladder, what the pre game banter is between the coaches and players, and the incidences on the ground.
I'm thinking of games in the past where a coach has talked up the rivalry a bit too much, or where a Carr has given a football lesson to the drugged up Eagles midfield of Cousins and Kerr.

I think the success of the Crows has probably been quite galling to many Power fans, especially when they were expecting success this year. I'm sure Crows fans have been obnoxious about it. So in a close game , many Power fans were trying to be as loud as possible to help win the game for their team, to make their week and off season better. And some, such as the angry children and the racist woman took it too far and crossed the line of decency.

It was only a year ago that Crows and Power players were arm in arm in mourning for their coach. For the most part, I'm sure it's friendly banter, though I understand that non-Port supporters have had a long history of hating Port Adelaide because of their domination of the local competition.

Tl;dr Its a greater level of hatred and distain between the South Australian teams because of their history, but it needn't be as bad as we saw last weekend.

Uhuh.
The Betts incident is so clear cut that I don't think there could've been any other response except what we have now, regardless of the Goodes incident.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Racist fan throws banana at Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back