Play Nice Random Chat Thread VII

Remove this Banner Ad

I've ditched the tent to become a camper-trailer guy.

Picked up a pretty decent second-hand soft floor camper-trailer - need to become proficient in setting it up and packing it up as well as installing some 12 volt power stuff.

I've ditched the tent to become a camper-trailer guy.

Picked up a pretty decent second-hand soft floor camper-trailer - need to become proficient in setting it up and packing it up as well as installing some 12 volt power stuff.
Its a natural progression, we went tent, camper , poptop caravan now full height caravan. I beleive RV is the end of the progression, then i imagine you go back to a swag?

The 12v stuff shouldn't give you to much grief, your a techo kinda guy iirc.

Last edited:
Its a natural progression, we went tent, camper , poptop caravan now full height caravan. I beleive RV is the end of the progression, then i imagine you go back to a swag?

The 12v stiff shoulnt give you to much grief, your a techo kinda guy iirc.
It should be fine. Have bought a lithium battery and one of these.

Might get an auto-electrician to run the wiring from the battery to a 3-pin Anderson plug near the towbar though. I'm fine with the actual wiring it's the routing of the cable through the vehicle that I'm not sure about.

I'm going to wire the camper with some outlets, wireless charging stations and lighting and put some plugs in for the DC, solar and AC charger which should be a nice little project. Will get some portable solar panels down the track.

The 12v stiff shoulnt give you to much grief, your a techo kinda guy iirc.
I'm not sure I want to know what you get up to at your camp sites!

It should be fine. Have bought a lithium battery and one of these.

Might get an auto-electrician to run the wiring from the battery to a 3-pin Anderson plug near the towbar though. I'm fine with the actual wiring it's the routing of the cable through the vehicle that I'm not sure about.

I'm going to wire the camper with some outlets, wireless charging stations and lighting and put some plugs in for the DC, solar and AC charger which should be a nice little project. Will get some portable solar panels down the track.

IMG_6694.gif

Who tf knows. Its an interesting video tho.

If its real one thing it shows is how hard it is to get good footage with a mobile phone. The resolution isn't great and the object is barely moving but its still hard to keep it in frame. I've seen weird shit in the sky multiple times so I'm more inclined to think this stuff could be real.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know why, wanted to share a chat I had with an old timer today, he just turned 80 and got home two weeks ago after a month of assisted living. He's been diagnosed with CTE, the brain/concussion thing, and his golf game has turned to shit. They can't tell from his scans if he's got the type that kills ya, but his working memory, and putting, is farked.

Ron/Don (could never quite tell) from the Maryborough region was getting scouted from the vfl clubs at 17yrs, there being no zoning at the time apparently. Enticed by the offer of free meals and lifts in from his new accommodation near *Essington airport, he'd moved to study for/start uni, he began trialing with Melb and impressing them was about to be oferred a senior list spot. He'd gone undefeated against Barassi at table tennis, a game RDB often used to test new kids mettle, and he reckons that went a way to make an impression. Also trialling was hard being that no bloke wanted to help others look good so if they didn't know ya good luck getting a kick. Ron/Don's dad suggested he meet and listen to this bloke from the Scum because he knew the travel was messing with his boy and they were a lot closer. He did and the don's of the day version of the dodo oferred him a spot in the under 19's for two years but our man spruiked a seniors offer from GoDees with a possition in the middle, cough cough he was played back flank. Dodo caved and a seniors spot was found, with the $18 or $16/game bonus everyone got, same for everyone.

Anyway he left in '62 or 3, after not being able to bust into the team he went to Coleman for advice telling him he could get $65 a week to play in the country, Coleman said mate, go clean out your locker.

He Cap't local side winnings flags and BnF's for a long time and was head hunted for his efforts. Multiple concusions, towards the end blacking out 40-50 minutes after games, ensued. His last game was an exhibition at Arden st, he'd just retired and so had old mate Barassi. He was back pocket and played on the legend, who didn't know him from joe. Sometime in the game he took a grab over Barass and ran off him, showing him the ball as he took off mind you, and as Barassi went to jump off in pursuit he pulled a hammy, ending it as they'd begun, beaten by our small town hero.

Many more memories were shared, meetings with Norman (shorter than you'd think), Faldo (tall) and Trevino (funny giving Langer shit for his dirty mo). Getting caught out behind an the 'G off Peter Hudson, losing table tennis to a future Wimbledon champ, getting the advice to wear his club blaser out to meet the girls on the weekend and sign anything with a stars name, the names of first players who protested the pay they were getting, them getting dropped and then more the next week all of whoom eventually banded together to form the first players association etc etc.

I asked Ron/Don if he'd skip footy if he knew what he knew now. He was noncommittal. Footy saw him bonding with other country kids trying to make it in the city, got him to a town where he began teaching which meant his has housing payed for and he was married and starting a family at 22. Said his last game was at 31 or 2 and he'd gone a couple years too long. Asked him if in 20yrs time afl was a game of touch on a rectangle field would he be rolling in his grave. He said it depends, how was his putting stroke.

Yeah we'd bumped into each other a couple times before Covid and recognised each other today at a local golf club, my first time there in years. For him I was the guy who had a modern short game sorted and for me he was the guy who didn't know shit about cleaning his grooves or high spin golf balls. He's told me a bunch of stories of local legends that I'd never know otherwise. He split with his wife ten years ago, they reconnected somewhat since his deterioration but even so his independent days are dwindling. Time catches up with us all eh. We're gonna catch up again, he was saying he could talk footy for hours.. after the third time I relented and arranged a time/place. Yeah he was on *EFC list, but I think he never got a game so it's all good... I think?

Just to put a full stop on my contribution here. You know that feeling when you're sitting somewhere reading a book and a cat that you don't really give a toss about walks up to you, looks at you lap like they want to jump up but then they hesitate, and you say something like Ok come on then.. and they take another long look before deciding to walk away? What is that called, the prick doesn't look like coming back. Had him for 2wks and it feels like a NMFC two weeks.

Its great. I don't know shit about golf myself but old bastards have alot of knowledge about all sorts of things. I've seen a few go on their merry way to nirvana or oblivion or whatever it is (or isn't) and always regret the times I didn't spend doing things like what you did with them. And value the times I did spend with some of them.

Like this old American bloke, huge bastard, Cherokee I think. Came to Australia after being involved in the occupation of Alcatraz around the time I was born. Fought fires with him for decades up north. He lived up there since the 70s, knew everything about the joint. I wish I'd written it all down or taped it cos he's a bit out of it these days.

Its great. I don't know shit about golf myself but old bastards have alot of knowledge about all sorts of things. I've seen a few go on their merry way to nirvana or oblivion or whatever it is (or isn't) and always regret the times I didn't spend doing things like what you did with them. And value the times I did spend with some of them.

Like this old American bloke, huge bastard, Cherokee I think. Came to Australia after being involved in the occupation of Alcatraz around the time I was born. Fought fires with him for decades up north. He lived up there since the 70s, knew everything about the joint. I wish I'd written it all down or taped it cos he's a bit out of it these days.
Was yacking to a bloke today, mentioned how when people die, we lose all of the stories of their life. Like this old bloke I know, Jim, though his real name is Uwe. Came out after the war, wanted just to work and have a family and live a normal life. Which he has. He's 93. Anyway, he was telling me about his dad. He was a nuggety little bloke so he went into the U Boats in WW2. He had twin brothers that were apparently big strapping lads - they got "recruited" by the SS, went to Russia and never came back. His dad however, got rescued after his U Boat got sunk .... ended up as a POW in the UK. Him and a mate bribed this Irish fella to help them escape .... he got them to Ireland, then grassed them up, claimed a reward, and the old bloke and his mate got sent to a POW camp in Scotland.
I love the spark in old folks eyes when they recall a tale ... life comes back to them.

Don't know why, wanted to share a chat I had with an old timer today, he just turned 80 and got home two weeks ago after a month of assisted living. He's been diagnosed with CTE, the brain/concussion thing, and his golf game has turned to shit. They can't tell from his scans if he's got the type that kills ya, but his working memory, and putting, is farked.

Ron/Don (could never quite tell) from the Maryborough region was getting scouted from the vfl clubs at 17yrs, there being no zoning at the time apparently. Enticed by the offer of free meals and lifts in from his new accommodation near *Essington airport, he'd moved to study for/start uni, he began trialing with Melb and impressing them was about to be oferred a senior list spot. He'd gone undefeated against Barassi at table tennis, a game RDB often used to test new kids mettle, and he reckons that went a way to make an impression. Also trialling was hard being that no bloke wanted to help others look good so if they didn't know ya good luck getting a kick. Ron/Don's dad suggested he meet and listen to this bloke from the Scum because he knew the travel was messing with his boy and they were a lot closer. He did and the don's of the day version of the dodo oferred him a spot in the under 19's for two years but our man spruiked a seniors offer from GoDees with a possition in the middle, cough cough he was played back flank. Dodo caved and a seniors spot was found, with the $18 or $16/game bonus everyone got, same for everyone.

Anyway he left in '62 or 3, after not being able to bust into the team he went to Coleman for advice telling him he could get $65 a week to play in the country, Coleman said mate, go clean out your locker.

He Cap't local side winnings flags and BnF's for a long time and was head hunted for his efforts. Multiple concusions, towards the end blacking out 40-50 minutes after games, ensued. His last game was an exhibition at Arden st, he'd just retired and so had old mate Barassi. He was back pocket and played on the legend, who didn't know him from joe. Sometime in the game he took a grab over Barass and ran off him, showing him the ball as he took off mind you, and as Barassi went to jump off in pursuit he pulled a hammy, ending it as they'd begun, beaten by our small town hero.

Many more memories were shared, meetings with Norman (shorter than you'd think), Faldo (tall) and Trevino (funny giving Langer shit for his dirty mo). Getting caught out behind an the 'G off Peter Hudson, losing table tennis to a future Wimbledon champ, getting the advice to wear his club blaser out to meet the girls on the weekend and sign anything with a stars name, the names of first players who protested the pay they were getting, them getting dropped and then more the next week all of whoom eventually banded together to form the first players association etc etc.

I asked Ron/Don if he'd skip footy if he knew what he knew now. He was noncommittal. Footy saw him bonding with other country kids trying to make it in the city, got him to a town where he began teaching which meant his has housing payed for and he was married and starting a family at 22. Said his last game was at 31 or 2 and he'd gone a couple years too long. Asked him if in 20yrs time afl was a game of touch on a rectangle field would he be rolling in his grave. He said it depends, how was his putting stroke.
the bolded is a timeless tale of playing footy to long, even myself being a part timer due to shift work i probably played to long but at the time you think nothing of it as its generally a pretty decent core of people you play with, my Dad played to Long and he is really paying the price with quality of life issues. mostly arthritis.

i think the medical side is better these days but we really wont know how much better until the current generation of players are old farts like many of us. its also nice from a locality perspective to know the local bloke who took one of the pros to the cleaners. my uncle from up Upway is still dining out on his mate Kevin Sonogan taking the scalp of viv richards in an exhibition game,

Dcs7XXTU8AAE53Z

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Random Chat Thread VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back