Bumped Rant of a 40 y/o fan about 30 years of Hawk torment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe i should write a thread eulogising the Hawks and saying how good they are...reverse psychology. :p

Meh, as it turns out the poor kick by Christensen that went OOF early in the last quarter of that 2013 PF was like the turning point in everything. Hard Harry Taylor on his own for a 26 point lead, instead the turnover saw Buddy kick a goal to make the difference 14 points. Hawks win, and the next three Grand Finalists against the Hawks chose to show the combined grit and skill on the big day as Australia's batsmen does on a swinging pitch in England. But there's no animosity anymore, we won three Flags, which until '07 i had never thought we'd ever do, and this season promises to be a good chance as well. Maybe old age has mellowed me, but Hawthorn deserve their success, and their record in Finals is simply peerless.

The illuminating stat is that they have won as many finals as Geelong, yet have lost a substantial 30 less matches in doing so. Their record in finals is about the best of any side. I'm not sure if that can be simply an accident. They just know how to win, and they seem to intimidate other sides into playing below par as well, the last two efforts of Sydney and West Coast took insipidness to new levels. Hawks just too good.

Very depressing read that opening post Catsace. Such anticipation and mere joy at the prospect of what may have come that infamous Saturday the 27th of September, 2008.
They beat us again! The fact they have merely tormented us once more in recent times is why some on here are at breaking point.
I cannot see how anything changes anytime soon.

We all get ready for another year and expectations are at an all time high since the 2011 premiership.
Funny how it will again be that one team which quickly dampens our spirits in prophetic fashion. It's no longer about the players on the park, it's all a mental battle and Hawthorn just have it over us in bundles the same way they did in the 80's.

What is this bullshit I'm reading? Tormented us in recent times? How what changes?

Mental battle? No thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
We won 11 in a row after 08 (11 right?) and they have owned us 5 times since then. My God their support base has become arrogant. It will be so sweet if we do them this year.

I really hope the banner is good this year. It was a giant advertisement last year. Like Wed already given up.

Go you Catters.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What is this bullshit I'm reading? Tormented us in recent times? How what changes?

Mental battle? **** off.

I saw this was bumped and just added a reply. I think in any case as others have rightfully said, there's no need to lose any sleep over what's transpired now. The opportunity was there in 2008, that failed to come to pass, but we won two more flags in '09 and '11 and i doubt any Cat fan alive would have been anything but totally stoked at that. The Hawks have won a hat-trick since, but it's done, no point complaining now or worrying about what's happened.

I'm looking forward to 2016 with superstar Dangerfield ready to join our midfield along with the return of several important players like Duncan, Vardy, Motlop and Stanley, plus the continued improvement of the youngsters. Our list demographic now is pretty good, and i feel the club has done well to actually get all the players they had their eyes on in the post-season. It's all about the future now, the rant was perhaps a bit of a reaction to what back then was a series of narrow losses to the Hawks. We had our sequence of narrow wins, and we won the '11 Flag with the Hawks a signpost we successfully passed en route to that victory. It's kind of had it's day, it's all for the future now. We are Geelong, and we cannot be, nor have any impact upon the vicarious success other sides have.

Although secretly i am hoping the Hawks go all out for the 4th, and end up doing a Brisbane Lions kind of thing where all the ammo is spent and they kind of disappear for a while....i think their fans would be pretty satisfied with their success in the last decade too...;)

Love to know why this idiotic thread was bumped in the first place. Some just crave attention I guess.
You are very negative.

It was bumped to add a positive vibe on an extremely dead negative board. I simply added to the discussion saying how we are going to get them this year. Try being a little optimistic for once, crack a smile here and there.

We won 11 in a row after 08 (11 right?) and they have owned us 5 times since then. My God their support base has become arrogant. It will be so sweet if we do them this year.

I really hope the banner is good this year. It was a giant advertisement last year. Like Wed already given up.

Go you Catters.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The problem with the streak was that it culminated in an excruciating cut-throat finals loss. The absolute worst time for it to end. Beating them in the QF in 2011 was great, but it would be nice to beat them in a prelim or GF, because that's certainly where they've had our number for a long time. Between 2008 and 2013, the only times they beat us were in a GF and a prelim, and those were the most important games of all.

Very depressing read that opening post Catsace. Such anticipation and mere joy at the prospect of what may have come that infamous Saturday the 27th of September, 2008.
They beat us again! The fact they have merely tormented us once more in recent times is why some on here are at breaking point.
I cannot see how anything changes anytime soon.

We all get ready for another year and expectations are at an all time high since the 2011 premiership.
Funny how it will again be that one team which quickly dampens our spirits in prophetic fashion. It's no longer about the players on the park, it's all a mental battle and Hawthorn just have it over us in bundles the same way they did in the 80's.

You say it's a mental thing and in your post you've already given up the fight.

One thing I noticed was all the trolls suddenly disappeared after that final in 2011. The tone of their posts before that final suggest they thought they had that one in the bag as well ... their disappearing act confirmed it.

We'll get 'em in a grand final before I pass, I'm confident of that.

One thing I noticed was all the trolls suddenly disappeared after that final in 2011. The tone of their posts before that final suggest they thought they had that one in the bag as well ... their disappearing act confirmed it.

As Hawk fans do they just shifted the goal posts after that as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They already did when you were young in 1963 :p

Mental battle? No thanks

giphy.gif

You are very negative.

It was bumped to add a positive vibe on an extremely dead negative board. I simply added to the discussion saying how we are going to get them this year. Try being a little optimistic for once, crack a smile here and there.

I smile at lots of things. Permanently disfigured gun enthusiasts for example.

It's not negative, it's wary. Some prefer to wait until evidence comes in before deciding how incredibly awesome we are. Beat Hawthorn in round 1 and I think a few will start to be convinced.

The problem with the streak was that it culminated in an excruciating cut-throat finals loss. The absolute worst time for it to end. Beating them in the QF in 2011 was great, but it would be nice to beat them in a prelim or GF, because that's certainly where they've had our number for a long time. Between 2008 and 2013, the only times they beat us were in a GF and a prelim, and those were the most important games of all.

They weren't good enough from 2009 to 2011 to play us in a game of that nature, hardly our fault there. We stitched them up in with a leg in the air in the most important game in that period by over 5 goals.

They weren't good enough from 2009 to 2011 to play us in a game of that nature, hardly our fault there. We stitched them up in with a leg in the air in the most important game in that period by over 5 goals.
should have been at least twice that as well

For a supporter group who have enjoyed so much success over a 3, and 30 year period, they sure don't know how to handle it.

The fact they have probably all got this thread bookmarked speaks volumes on their insecurity. Never have I encountered people who crave acknowledgement more than Hawthorn supporters, or handle their clubs fortunes with less grace, which is hilarious as half of the Hawks I know in real life jumped off the Saints or Demons, and the other half when you actually talk about footy properly with them can't go with you and say they don't really follow that closely.

Blokes like nuggets here think the success of a bunch of blokes who have no idea he exists, somehow reflects on him. Couldn't be more wrong.

For a supporter group who have enjoyed so much success over a 3, and 30 year period, they sure don't know how to handle it.

The fact they have probably all got this thread bookmarked speaks volumes on their insecurity. Never have I encountered people who crave acknowledgement more than Hawthorn supporters, or handle their clubs fortunes with less grace, which is hilarious as half of the Hawks I know in real life jumped off the Saints or Demons, and the other half when you actually talk about footy properly with them can't go with you and say they don't really follow that closely.

Blokes like nuggets here think the success of a bunch of blokes who have no idea he exists, somehow reflects on him. Couldn't be more wrong.
Yep, My step-dad openly admitted he started following Hawthorn after a few flags in the 80's. Low and behold he jumped on Geelong half was through 08 much to his chagrin at the completion of that season...

You guessed it, he's back on the Hawthorn wagon along with the majority of their supporter base. Therein lies the explanation as to their entitlement, insecurity and personality issues.

I remember reading this thread before joining BF. Was a wonderful post at the time Catsace :thumbsu:

Along with 2008, 2013 was a missed opportunity. It quite possibly might have been a Hawks/Cats GF but when you keep bombing it to the tallest man in the world, you don't go far.
As Hawk fans do they just shifted the goal posts after that as well
Heard quite a few of them say had they beaten Collingwood they would have beaten us in the Grand Final because it was a game that mattered :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back