Bumped Rant of a 40 y/o fan about 30 years of Hawk torment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
O.K......i've looked at the thread on the main board about 'who would you like to win' and it seems to be a situation where maybe a 60-40 split of neutral fans would like the Hawks to win. Well, here are 30 years of reasons that i would so much like those tables to be turned.

First of all, my first memories of the VFL supporting the Cats was in 1977, a season where Hawthorn inflicted a whopping 107 point win over us. Indeed, Geelong has suffered very few 100 point losses in that span, Hawthorn have been a side to inflict three (1977, 1986 and 1990). Only Collingwood in 2006 and Sydney in 1998 have done so in that period.

Since 1977, Hawthorn have won 38 of the 56 games played against Geelong. They have been the one big bogey side in that time, our record against almost all others now is close to 50-50 at worst, except Brisbane Lions.

Hawthorn have also won an amazing number of close games over us, indeed about 13 instances of a win by say 12 points or less, from that late 1978 game where Gary Malarkey just about spiked the ball into the crowd from a John Hendrie kick, which was awarded a goal to give the Hawks a two point win, to the 1987 last round, where Dunstall kicked the last two goals to deny our place in the finals by 3 points, to the 1988 pre-season final also by 3 points, to 1989, with the comeback game and the Grand Final, by 8 and 6 points respectively.

Lets also not forget that Leigh Matthew's incident where Bruns headbutted 'Lethal's elbow' in 1985, which also started a run of 10 successive Hawk wins until Geelong broke the drought in 1991, the day Gary Ablett Sr announced his return from retirement.

The 1991 2nd semi, where a miracle snap by Jarman got the Hawks in front, and Poole's long shot from 55 was touched on the line, a heartbreaking and finals defining two point defeat. To the litany of frustrating narrow losses at Skilled in the mid-late 90's where by then a poor performing Hawthorn would 'get up' for the game against our Cats who always seemed then to drop 'one of those games they would usually lose'. Four times in five years we lost by 6 points or less to those infernal Hawks.

The mere fact that after a massive, and phenominal 8 flags in 20 years (1971 to 1991), the Hawks somehow find themselves fending off merger talk, and having tin-rattling to save a club, which had success that we as Cats could only dream about. Can any Cat fan in their wildest dreams think that if we had won 8 flags in 20 years, just five short years later we would have our hands out? I cannot work that out!!

The 2000 elimination final, where Crawford jaw-jacked young David Spriggs late in the game when he kicked a goal as a result of a soft 50 against the 1st year Cat, rubbing more salt into our wounds. To the fact that in the short-lived period when sides winning fewer than five games were allowed a priority pick before anyone else saw the draft. This saw Hawthorn bottom out at the right time to pick the two best young K.P.P's in the draft for years, in Roughead and Franklin. Besides Reiwoldt and Pavlich, hardly any other tall K.P.P's drafted from the mid 90's has done anything like these two, especially after just four years. Kudos for the Hawks development, but their timing was impeccable. Pity it wasn't 2003 when they could have got say Brock McLean and Colin Sylvia! Huge difference there!

And now, as Geelong has assembled a magnificent team, devoid of any priority picks, fortified really only by Ottens from outside as a recruit, and a magnificent team in Costa, Cook and Bomber Thompson, who despite difficulties, had the strength, belief and vision to produce what we see now. Geelong stands on the verge of a chance to go back to back, and also stands son the verge of producing statistically the equal best season on record. The leadership of our player group, the focus, the sheer winningness of our side is unprecedented in our history. No side has ever gone 42/44...ever. This win, over a side that has given me, and most likely any Cat fan of Generation X vintage, heartache and constant pain, would be the sweetest victory of all. I am confident that the Cats, our magnificent Cats, will do what it takes, take every chance, and leave no stone unturned for the chance to make football history.

Let us all hope and pray, that our mighty season will be rewarded with victory next Saturday, and that our Cats can be heralded as the 'Greatest team of all'!! A win in the Grand Final, will expunge these 30 years of demons that have haunted me as a fan in my lifetime of following Geelong.

Nice post man. Good read, i enjoyed it. I may not be 40 (25 :p) but i understand, in a small way, the pain in which you speak about. Also a victory for me will be double as sweet because i have a mate who goes for the hawks & has been talking it up how they will "DESTROY" us come GF day.

CARN THE CATS!

O.K......i've looked at the thread on the main board about 'who would you like to win' and it seems to be a situation where maybe a 60-40 split of neutral fans would like the Hawks to win. Well, here are 30 years of reasons that i would so much like those tables to be turned.

First of all, my first memories of the VFL supporting the Cats was in 1977, a season where Hawthorn inflicted a whopping 107 point win over us. Indeed, Geelong has suffered very few 100 point losses in that span, Hawthorn have been a side to inflict three (1977, 1986 and 1990). Only Collingwood in 2006 and Sydney in 1998 have done so in that period.

Since 1977, Hawthorn have won 38 of the 56 games played against Geelong. They have been the one big bogey side in that time, our record against almost all others now is close to 50-50 at worst, except Brisbane Lions.

Hawthorn have also won an amazing number of close games over us, indeed about 13 instances of a win by say 12 points or less, from that late 1978 game where Gary Malarkey just about spiked the ball into the crowd from a John Hendrie kick, which was awarded a goal to give the Hawks a two point win, to the 1987 last round, where Dunstall kicked the last two goals to deny our place in the finals by 3 points, to the 1988 pre-season final also by 3 points, to 1989, with the comeback game and the Grand Final, by 8 and 6 points respectively.

Lets also not forget that Leigh Matthew's incident where Bruns headbutted 'Lethal's elbow' in 1985, which also started a run of 10 successive Hawk wins until Geelong broke the drought in 1991, the day Gary Ablett Sr announced his return from retirement.

The 1991 2nd semi, where a miracle snap by Jarman got the Hawks in front, and Poole's long shot from 55 was touched on the line, a heartbreaking and finals defining two point defeat. To the litany of frustrating narrow losses at Skilled in the mid-late 90's where by then a poor performing Hawthorn would 'get up' for the game against our Cats who always seemed then to drop 'one of those games they would usually lose'. Four times in five years we lost by 6 points or less to those infernal Hawks.

The mere fact that after a massive, and phenominal 8 flags in 20 years (1971 to 1991), the Hawks somehow find themselves fending off merger talk, and having tin-rattling to save a club, which had success that we as Cats could only dream about. Can any Cat fan in their wildest dreams think that if we had won 8 flags in 20 years, just five short years later we would have our hands out? I cannot work that out!!

The 2000 elimination final, where Crawford jaw-jacked young David Spriggs late in the game when he kicked a goal as a result of a soft 50 against the 1st year Cat, rubbing more salt into our wounds. To the fact that in the short-lived period when sides winning fewer than five games were allowed a priority pick before anyone else saw the draft. This saw Hawthorn bottom out at the right time to pick the two best young K.P.P's in the draft for years, in Roughead and Franklin. Besides Reiwoldt and Pavlich, hardly any other tall K.P.P's drafted from the mid 90's has done anything like these two, especially after just four years. Kudos for the Hawks development, but their timing was impeccable. Pity it wasn't 2003 when they could have got say Brock McLean and Colin Sylvia! Huge difference there!

And now, as Geelong has assembled a magnificent team, devoid of any priority picks, fortified really only by Ottens from outside as a recruit, and a magnificent team in Costa, Cook and Bomber Thompson, who despite difficulties, had the strength, belief and vision to produce what we see now. Geelong stands on the verge of a chance to go back to back, and also stands son the verge of producing statistically the equal best season on record. The leadership of our player group, the focus, the sheer winningness of our side is unprecedented in our history. No side has ever gone 42/44...ever. This win, over a side that has given me, and most likely any Cat fan of Generation X vintage, heartache and constant pain, would be the sweetest victory of all. I am confident that the Cats, our magnificent Cats, will do what it takes, take every chance, and leave no stone unturned for the chance to make football history.

Let us all hope and pray, that our mighty season will be rewarded with victory next Saturday, and that our Cats can be heralded as the 'Greatest team of all'!! A win in the Grand Final, will expunge these 30 years of demons that have haunted me as a fan in my lifetime of following Geelong.

Hawthorn was the first team I truly hated it. Some of it was because they were just so damn good. Mostly though it was because they always seemed to enjoy crushing our hopes the most.

You've already mentioned the three 100 point thumpings. Geelong has only ever had 11 100 point losses, of which Hawthorn has had 4. This includes our greatest ever loss, 135 points in 1986. That day was also the highest score we have ever conceded, 35.15.225.

We needed to beat them in the last round in 1984 and 1987 to make the finals and couldn't. They handed out 3 of our most hurtful finals losses in 1989,1991 and 2000. Then there was our last game at Waverley, which we lost by 2 points, and also ended our finals hopes.

Those wins against us at Geelong during the 90's were of 5, 2, 6, and 2 points. I remember the Harford game all too well.

They also rolled us for the 1988 night flag in a performance eeirily similar to the last round of 1987.

Then there was the comeback from 54 points down in round 7 1989.

And thank god Jason Dunstall isn't out there this weekend :eek:

They have been the team that has owned us well and truly in my time of following the Cats, and lord almighty i'm hoping we can get some Hawk on our forks this Saturday. They ****in deserve it.

Awesome post.. .couldnt have summed it up any better & highlights all the reasons i have such a passionate hatred for everything HAWTHORN...

The chance to bury all those demons of the past 2 decades has arrived :)

I didnt read the OP, I dont need to.

Its well documented that Hawthorn have tormented us for far, far too long. I couldnt think of a better GF opponent.

Its payback. :thumbsu:

Nice post man. Good read, i enjoyed it. I may not be 40 (25 :p) but i understand, in a small way, the pain in which you speak about. Also a victory for me will be double as sweet because i have a mate who goes for the hawks & has been talking it up how they will "DESTROY" us come GF day.

CARN THE CATS!

Funny that, I've been receiving similar treatment from my hawks supporting mates. Seems infectious eh? Be ace if we win this, oh yeah.

Funny that, I've been receiving similar treatment from my hawks supporting mates. Seems infectious eh? Be ace if we win this, oh yeah.

Yep i have been gettin it 2. Cocky litle bunch. Guess its not a little bunch. I know more hawk ppl than any other club apart from mine. Primary school i was the only non hawk fan in my class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep i have been gettin it 2. Cocky litle bunch. Guess its not a little bunch. I know more hawk ppl than any other club apart from mine. Primary school i was the only non hawk fan in my class.

:eek::eek::eek:
Monday mornings must have been ****ing hell for you then mate
all those kids giving you crap!

:eek::eek::eek:
Monday mornings must have been ****ing hell for you then mate
all those kids giving you crap!

Lol yeah it was only a small school though. About 8 boys all of whom went for hawks. However there was a couple of kids below who supported the Cats. But also an eagle fan. So if it was not hawks winnin, i still had a kid younger than i reminding me.

91 was hell.

Great post. One of my first threads was about this very topic but you've done a much better job here.

Could think of nothing better than seeing the torment on their faces come this Saturday. Losing a Grand Final after many years of not winning one is a pain I will gladly like to see passed on to Mr & Mrs Hawthorn.

Great OP. Shows how much this weeks game means to both sets of fans.

Most of my friends were Cat fans so my school years contained 4 Geelong GF losses along with many of the close matches diablo mentioned. Wasn't too bad for me but the banter every monday was awesome and I know what it would mean to my mates to kick us this Sat. And naturally I would love to deny them that redemption too. :)

Just to give some extra fire: I still have my 'Geelong losing streak tally' from my last school year in 1999 where you lost a 9 in a row or something after another 2 pt loss to us. Round 21 that year and Crawf chasing down Mansfield(?) at the death still stands out as an all-time highlight for me.

Going to be a corker.

Just to give some extra fire: I still have my 'Geelong losing streak tally' from my last school year in 1999 where you lost 9 in a row or something after another 2 pt loss to us. Round 21 that year and Crawf chasing down Mansfield(?) at the death still stands out as an all-time highlight for me.

I'm certain I've never met you but it's clear we remember similar moments in time. I'm sure in another life we could be friends. Certainly not this one though.

My Wife is from Geelong
So I go to see the Hawks Geelong at Cardinia Park every time they play there.
(they where too scared to drive in the big city)
As you all know the Hawks go quite well, down at Cardinia Park over the last few years.
Even when we where crap we pulled out something speacial for the Cats.
Boy does her family not like me.
And I am a good winner.
Though I do smile alot.

Any how I hope they still dont like me after the weekend

Loved that post. I used to hate the Hawks for all the reasons (read losses) that you mention. Now I hate West Coast and Carlton having sat through those three GFs. Don't really hate the Hawks anymore and I hope it stays that way on Saturday:)

And now, as Geelong has assembled a magnificent team, devoid of any priority picks, fortified really only by Ottens from outside as a recruit

But you have had some magnificent luck with Father Son picks!

It should be an absolutely cracking game on Saturday, and almost certainly a lot closer than last year.

But I wholeheartedly hope we can torment you for 1 more year at least :D

I am also in the vintage of Catsace and wholeheartedly agree and empathise with his magnificent post. Not only have the Hawks been the bain of our existence, they have been smug and near-impossible to be around. Especially when they have to delve back 19 years to remind us of the day they beat us in the '89 GF. Their last great moment of a glorious (for them) era.

Every moment mentioned in Catsace's post is almost like the dagger being twisted more firmly into our collective backs. I remember each and every moment (I hardly missed a game between 1986 thru to 1995).

This is THE time, the MCG is THE place, and god-willing we WILL hold (should I say Tom Harley and Bomber Thompson) the premiership cup.

Last year's demolition of PA was the beginning of our healing process. It's true that time heals all wounds, and the best bandage is another Cup.

BACK TO BACK! Let's go Cats!!!!

Great post. I too remember copping it no end from hawk supporters. I still can't bear to watch the 89 G.F and i've had the video?!?!?! for 10 years. I need this win to exercise the demons (hawks lol):p
I want to watch this tape back to back with an 08 win!!!!
P.S I still shudder with thoughts of the game in Launceston last year sitting there on my own as the only male staring blankly at the tv and copping it from my now ex and her female hawk supporting friends. :eek:

I am also in the vintage of Catsace and wholeheartedly agree and empathise with his magnificent post. Not only have the Hawks been the bain of our existence, they have been smug and near-impossible to be around. Especially when they have to delve back 19 years to remind us of the day they beat us in the '89 GF. Their last great moment of a glorious (for them) era.

Every moment mentioned in Catsace's post is almost like the dagger being twisted more firmly into our collective backs. I remember each and every moment (I hardly missed a game between 1986 thru to 1995).

This is THE time, the MCG is THE place, and god-willing we WILL hold (should I say Tom Harley and Bomber Thompson) the premiership cup.

Last year's demolition of PA was the beginning of our healing process. It's true that time heals all wounds, and the best bandage is another Cup.

BACK TO BACK! Let's go Cats!!!!

The members all rise with applause after your stirring speech! I reckon that some of the locals in the side, such as Gaz Jr, Ling, Bartel may well remember themselves the hurt certainly of the 90's....they would likely all have followed the Cats as youngsters.

The thing i reckon is that this group have progressively won the VFL flag in 2002, the NAB Cup in 2006, and the AFL flag in 2007. They are a group of winners, and i take great heart in their demeanor of the last two seasons, the focus and determination to make a name for themselves. I am sure that the Geelong we see on Grand Final day is going to do us proud.....and in doing so, will be like a mass dose of penicillin for all us long suffering fans, from the disease of Hawk Torment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back