Rate A Player: Rhyce Shaw

What do you think of Collingwood's Rhyce Shaw?

• He is a fantastic player and Mick Malthouse should give him more game time.

Votes: 19 16.1%
  • He is very mediocre and very much deserves to be a benchy.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • He is total and utter crap! If Collingwood were smart they would have ditched him long ago.

Votes: 61 51.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

jimmy35 said:
Agreed. Kerro was a tough little unit. Good lockdown player. Never shirked it and had reasonable footskills.
Seemed to have a running battle with Jimmy Krakouer as well.

In 88-89 when we didnt have a proper rover, Kerro and Tony Shaw did the job as fulltime taggers, each taking an opposition rover. Both had to run all day and did it with ease, Kerros fitness was the equal of Tony Shaw. Of course in 1990 we recruited some "proper" rovers, Russell and Francis, and the rest is history, :) :)

jimmy35 said:
Agreed. Kerro was a tough little unit. Good lockdown player. Never shirked it and had reasonable footskills.
Seemed to have a running battle with Jimmy Krakouer as well.

So you think Jimmy Krakouer and Shane Kerrosin were as good as each other. Hmmm Interesting. LOL

this is poll has such a heavily weighted question. either a fantastic player or a useless player. why not have an option for where he truly sits on the playing list (10th - 20th)

i don't think he is either fantastic or useless.
he is certainly not in the top echelon (Bucks, pebbles, tazza etc) but at the same time he is useful to the club and has the potential to fill an important role on the ground (fast hard running back flanker)

i wonder why everyone keeps picking on him. is it because supporters from other clubs want to get a bite from Collingwood supporters and he is the only regular starting player they can target - or is it because of his name and there is residue hate for Tony

if it is soley because of the grand final then get over it. one major mistake in several years of football is OK by me - even in a grand final. no one played the perfect game that day - even Black! anyone who thinks they can point the finger at a person for one mistake in a whole game and blame them for a loss hasn't played the game at all.

It's not picking on him. It's your Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse who is leaving on the bench most of the match and his uncle Tony Shaw who is saying that Rhyce should leave the club cos he isnt getting game time. You Collingwood people need to work out if you want to him to stay or go??

I think Rhyce has been harshly dealt by the coach.I concede he is no superstar & his foot skills often let him down,but he has one attribute our side is lacking in,PACE!He should be in the side in front of Williams without doubt.From all reports he has had a good pre season,hopefully he can translate that to good,consistent performances when the season gets under way.First he has to get onto the ground for longer than 5minutes,thats his biggest hurdle!

local said:
When ever I hear someone talk about Rhyce Shaw I always think of the 2003 grand final against Brisbane. He'll never live it down.

He always looked like he was on the verge of taking the next step and start playing some real good footy. But sadly he never did. I’ll say this will be his final year at Collingwood.
Cole hearing footsteps was the most glaring mistake in that grand final .....that and Malthouse playing Cloke in attack ...DUH !

Sorry to butt in Noel - hope there's room for someone else other than YOU in this thread, but I rate Rhyce.

He has terrific pace, flair and usually very neat skills - however he is a confidence player in every sense of the word.

As I've previously said, he is flying - and I mean FLYING in training at the moment, with all the confidence in the world. He cant keep his mouth shut, and he's having a ball mucking around with the boys.

He has pushed himself to exhaustion twice throwing up, so clearly he is determined to make his mark in 2005.

Whether he will or not remains to be seen, but he couldn't have done anything more since October last year, so I'm pleased.

Oh and a thread about us by you Noel - what a shock!

Well said LM to a point. I think his skills are O.K. His left side needs a lot of work though. I absolutely agree with you though that Rhyce is a confidence player. If he can get his head right he will be half way there to being a pretty decent player. At the moment that is his biggest hurdle imo.

As for THAT mistake, its something that people carry on about a bit unfairly imo. He lost his feet. Big deal. Happens all the time. It just happened to be in a GF when we were getting pumped. The actual error itself was no worse than many others you see all the time.

NoelMugavin said:
160990an.jpg

So is he good or is he as c r a p as his head shape?

Noel - thanks for providing a menu to select from. Made it much easier to respond to your question.

I found it impossible to construct a sentence using the words Rate and Rhys Shaw

:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've said it for about six months, but if Malthouse tells him to go play on a wing all Wizard Cup/pre-season, that he won't be moved if he stuffs up having a crack, he'll really come into his own and become that quick, skilful player we desperately need in the midfield.

Unfortunately, using the Malthouse "any fringe player is automatically off at any mistake" policy, this won't happen.

I agree that by the choices provided, this poll is heavily stacked against Shaw in an unfair manner, presumably to arrive at the desires result. You should consider rinning polls for political parties. :D

On the topic of Shaw, he has been his own worst enemy over the years, particularly his early years at the club.

I think it is well understood by most that he suffered from Chronic Fatigue in his teens, the remnaants of which remained at the time he was drafted. While this may have been an initial impedement to his progression when he first arrived at the club, Rhyce basically got ahead of himself and wasted his first two years due to lack of focus and commitment. I think he was more focused on his hair style and colour than his football. It was not until after the first two years that he knuckled down.

Has Malthouse done the wrong thing by Shaw? No. Malthouse initially gave him the opportunity to stay on the list when some believed he didn't deserve it. Perhaps it was his name tyhat kept him his spot, perhaps his pace which Collingwood so cleary lacked.

In 2003, Shaw repaid the faith. With the exception of the GF, and he was not alone there, he had a good year. In 2004, I believe Malthouse tried to toughen him up. Yes, he has spent some time on the bench, but equally has been given some challenges, tagging players of the calibre of Akermanis and Judd.

Rhyce knows where he stands. He knows that he has some work to do. He is also a very determined individual who will work extermely hard to make every Post a winner and so I give him every chance of making it. Not as a star, but as a 'good average' player.

Hard work and determination are Shaw traits, and in the end, they generally succeed. Wasn't his uncle in the same predicament? Leigh Mathews considered chopping him when he took over the Pies list as coach. Tony Shaw worked his backside off to prove himself to Leigh. He also went on to become the clubs games record holder and a premiership captain.

The problem people have with writing ANY player down is that there are no guaratees as to how good or bad a player will become.

In terms of experience and age, Shaw I am prepared to give a "the jury is out" assessment on Shaw until I witness a few more games.

There is no doubt he improved slightly last year and, having worn the public scorn of Collingwood's capitulation in the 2003 GF (Shaw wasn't the ONLY reason Collingwood lost that game!) he had several demons to exercise in 2003 and I think the guy has got to be given credit for not disappearing into a hole!

This year will be the test of whether he is actually over the mental torment and can be allowed to play the game.

His saving attributes have been that:
1. he is still very young
2. he has genuine pace (a feature lacking in the 2004 side)
3. he is training hard to overcome weaknesses
4. he was not the worst player on the list by any means

Everyobody should be given an opportunity to redeem themselves and Shaw has perhaps another season to demonstrate redemption.

Until then, I am not prepared to judge!

TB

A hack in a teamful of hacks bar one or two players.

Collingwood is crap.

Bentleigh said:
Wouldnt make Richmonds 22.

Hack.

Who are you trying to kid?
Of course he would be in Richmond's 22.
I would go as far to say that because of TW's love of players who go out and play a specific gameplan regardless of their own personal opinion, and after watching Shaw's tagging roles on Akermanis & Judd, Rhyce would be in the starting 18 every week.
What other 'run with' players have you got?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rate A Player: Rhyce Shaw

Back