Injury Ratugolea - Broken Ankle - Tibia + Fibula (VFL RETURN 25 AUGUST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Menzel goes I'd like to see those three in the forward line next year.

Breaking down at half forward has been our issue forever.

Henry could play that Tom Lynch (crows)/Mitch McGovern sort of role we just haven't had anyone to play.

We always find scoring much easier with 3 marking options up fwd.

I absolutely love Esava, but it wasn't long before his injury that he was struggling to fully run out four quarters of a game. Why is he all of a sudden going to be able to come back after ? months off and get finals fit within the space of one VFL game?? If he returns for finals, to me it seems very much like they are "pinning our finals hopes on Esava" which concerns me greatly.

Id like to see him get thru 1/2 a vfl game with no issues and pull up fine first.

GO Catters

Yup. A fortnight of VFL where the MC can't even dream of bringing him into the seniors beckons. Let's see where he ends up after that - healthy being the number one priority.

I absolutely love Esava, but it wasn't long before his injury that he was struggling to fully run out four quarters of a game. Why is he all of a sudden going to be able to come back after ? months off and get finals fit within the space of one VFL game?? If he returns for finals, to me it seems very much like they are "pinning our finals hopes on Esava" which concerns me greatly.

The rest and conditioning focused work probably hasn't hurt...

Either way his last full game of footy he kicked 1.2 had 15 touches and 3 marks. Not a great return, but not too shabby and I actually thought he was playing out games better as he went on tbh.

Let's go full Melbourne 2009 ala Jack Watts. That didn't turn out too badly :oops:
I barely remember yesterday - what the Demons did with Watts in 09 - ill take your word for it.

GO Catters

I barely remember yesterday - what the Demons did with Watts in 09 - ill take your word for it.

GO Catters

Not really a good comparison.

They threw him in on debut to try to increase interest in the QB match to get more Dees fans to the game.

He got absolutely rag dolled by Collingwood.

Sav wouldn't get rag dolled he would just get gassed and tire badly.

I hope he comes back for finals if he is able. I think he’s a really exciting talent. Gee we have some young players with exciting attributes - Sav, Narkle, Henry, Cocky, Parfitt. Our future is looking good.

Sav and Henry have the potential to be our forwardline for 10 years IMO.
Narkle, Parfitt and Kelly could be our starting midfield in 4 years as well, sure potential doesn't always turn out to be reality but the signs are very promising.

Sav and Henry have the potential to be our forwardline for 10 years IMO.
Narkle, Parfitt and Kelly could be our starting midfield in 4 years as well, sure potential doesn't always turn out to be reality but the signs are very promising.

all one can really hope for is obvious potential ..and both Sav and Jack have plenty.

The question I ask myself is - will an underdone, non-match fit Esava provide more or less than the hobbled Menzel.

There is the school of thought that believes, Menzel at 70% is better than Parsons at 100%

Same could be said for Sav, who improved his endurance remarkably. His aerobic fitness + endurance were given focus during rehab. We all remember his contribution to the team. He'll play VFL next week? Then we wait + see. Plus it depends upon our opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recko we should put him on ice. Cocky shouldn't play finals this year either (if anyone mentioned him). Put 'em on ice, big pre-season and then full-focussed forward-line fire on all our enemies next year.

Of course if either is selected in a final and plays a blinder I'll be happy too.

Ratugolea will now front up in the VFL qualifying final against Casey on Saturday but when asked if he felt he would be right to take on Melbourne if the selectors opted to pick him, his reply was unequivocal.
“Of course, definitely, that’s why this weekend coming up will be important for me as it is a chance for me to put my hand up for selection,” Ratugolea said.
“Last week was just getting back into it, but this weekend I will put my head down and put my hand up for selection and hopefully play well.
“The aim of these couple of games was just to get confidence in myself and my body, and when I play well I pride myself on my jumping and contests in the air, so these games have been to get some confidence in my ankle and my landing and jumping for the ball and just backing myself.
“So as long as I start getting that confidence back then they (the Geelong coaches) will be happy with how I am going and that is all they want me to do.”

Basically nothing too surprising in what he says - really it's no shit that a player who was best 22 prior to injury wants to get back into the 22. Let's see what happens & if he actually does force his way back into the side, because if the MC is being honest, we seemed to have found a good formula the last couple of weeks & those guys deserve the opportunity to face Melbourne week 1.

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...y/news-story/8c038d1e8bd1eb52325e34b2025bd3f3

Listening To Bazza Stoneham in his interview... his injury and repair really was a cluster muster ... screws in the wrong way.. bones still with cracks ..training on it ... dead bone ... what a total 100% woeful outcome.. turns possibly the best CHF in the league into a VFL type player...

so with Sav back playing I can only hope that its all gone to plan ..and he is not in too much pain playing...

Ratugolea has to put up a good showing in the VFL this week but I wouldn't discount him. I'm a little worried we'll be going in with a ridiculously tall team though......we've seen that in far too many finals. Two weeks of VFL is probably enough if he hits the ground running but if there is even a hint of rust I wouldn't select him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back