acker

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2005
Riverina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
We picked him (4) ahead of Kane Tenace (7) and Raphael Clarke (8). In hindsight I am starting to think we picked the wrong player and should have went with one of them or Kepler Bradley (6).
With the exeption of Cooney, we have had a pretty ordinary run with our higher draft picks since we picked up Nathan Brown in 1996 and Robbie Murphy in 1999.
1997........Mark Alvey.....Traded and struggling to get a game with Essendon now
1998........Luke Penny.....Waste of space
1999........Robert Murphy.....Great pick
2000........Jordan McMahon.....Took ages to come on but looks OK now
2001........Sam Power.....Still just looks like he is a plodder
2002........Tim Walsh.....Probably on his last chance, I have my doubts about him
2003........Adam Cooney.....Rare diamond amongst a pile of rough rocks (Farren Ray (4).....Wants to pull his finger out or he will join Alvey )
2004........Ryan Griffen.....Miles ahead of Farren Ray at the moment

Your kidding, this thread is a joke!!! Ray is a class act and will be a prominent player for us, if not this year then next. He is very skillful and highly creative. He has only been in the game for 3-4 years? Obviously you have been watching the start of the season with your eyes closed, if they were open you WOULD of seen that he is going to be all class.

SirBloodyIdiot said:
No, 1999 he means.

I know that but he obviously didnt, claiming that Alvey was our "high" pick in the '99 draft.

Somehow Walsh is also on his last chance and Jordy only looks OK.

Seems like the we lost, we are the worst team on Earth posting is back. Yay! :eek:

• Banned
dogupya said:
Your kidding, this thread is a joke!!! Ray is a class act and will be a prominent player for us, if not this year then next. He is very skillful and highly creative. He has only been in the game for 3-4 years? Obviously you have been watching the start of the season with your eyes closed, if they were open you WOULD of seen that he is going to be all class.

My eyes have been open either at a match or watching it tele, thats seniors matches though and unfortunately Farren Ray has been much of a part of them, I wish that was different (but its not) Ryan Griffen is ahead of him (Ray) at the moment. I hope stories of theads like this one gets back to Ray and even Power and they respond via improved on feild performances and make me eat my words.
But at this stage the kid is a disapointment for a number 4 draft pick 18 months into his carreer.

You have got to be kidding. I haven't found anything at all 'disappointing' about Farren Ray. His class as a footballer is patently obvious.

Pugsta said:
You have got to be kidding. I haven't found anything at all 'disappointing' about Farren Ray. His class as a footballer is patently obvious.
Not to some it would seem. A bit strange given that it's taken the likes of Bob Murphy, Gia, Hahn and the like quite a few years to reach their potential and calling for the head of a player that has only been at the club 18 months is a bit rich. He is loaded with talent, and it's safe to say that you most defiantly will be eating your words Acker.

Re: Alvey I thought he got taken at pick 16 in "97" that year we had finished 3rd but Brisbane and Sydney were still getting draft priority picks "1&2".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Red House said:
Shhh, this is comedy gold right here.

1997 AFL National Draft

1. Melbourne - Travis Johnstone (Dandenong U18)
2. Richmond - Brad Ottens (Glenelg)
3. Hawthorn - Trent Croad (Dandenong U18)
4. Essendon - Mark Bolton (Eastern U18)
5. Brisbane - Luke Power (Oakleigh U18)
6. Fremantle - James Walker (North Ballarat U18)
7. Carlton - Kris Massie (Dandenong U18)
8. Collingwood - Chris Tarrant (Bendigo U18)
9. Port Adelaide - Chad Cornes (Glenelg)
10. Brisbane - Shane O'Bree (North Ballarat U18)
11. Sydney - Jason Saddington (Eastern U18)
12. West Coast - Jaxon Crabb (Claremont)
13. West Coast - Callum Chambers (Gippsland U18)
14. Kangaroos - Shannon Watt (North Ballarat U18)
15. Geelong - Joel McKay (Murray U18)
16. St Kilda - Ben Walton (Central District)
17. Adelaide - Lance picione (Western U18)
18. Western Bulldogs - Mark Alvey (Bendigo U18)

http://www.thepowerfromport.net/afl/drafts/afldraft1997.htm

For cheapshot dipsticks like redhouse etc heres the draft and note he is our first pick.

interesting that most of those players listed are still playing
could of been worse, we could of got ben walton.
At least we got something out of alvey.

In regards to farren ray?,
he's going to be a champ,
it's just hard for him to get a real shot at the moment because we
have two excellent in and under players in west and cross in the side
and farren really needs to play there to get into the game.
Someone like griffen can play anywhere.
Farren is still pretty thin and isn't quite ready for the role he naturally plays.

i think this criticism of him is not warranted at all.

acker said:
1997 AFL National Draft

1. Melbourne - Travis Johnstone (Dandenong U18)
2. Richmond - Brad Ottens (Glenelg)
3. Hawthorn - Trent Croad (Dandenong U18)
4. Essendon - Mark Bolton (Eastern U18)
5. Brisbane - Luke Power (Oakleigh U18)
6. Fremantle - James Walker (North Ballarat U18)
7. Carlton - Kris Massie (Dandenong U18)
8. Collingwood - Chris Tarrant (Bendigo U18)
9. Port Adelaide - Chad Cornes (Glenelg)
10. Brisbane - Shane O'Bree (North Ballarat U18)
11. Sydney - Jason Saddington (Eastern U18)
12. West Coast - Jaxon Crabb (Claremont)
13. West Coast - Callum Chambers (Gippsland U18)
14. Kangaroos - Shannon Watt (North Ballarat U18)
15. Geelong - Joel McKay (Murray U18)
16. St Kilda - Ben Walton (Central District)
17. Adelaide - Lance picione (Western U18)
18. Western Bulldogs - Mark Alvey (Bendigo U18)

http://www.thepowerfromport.net/afl/drafts/afldraft1997.htm

For cheapshot dipsticks like redhouse etc heres the draft and note he is our first pick.
For garden variety dipsticks like Acker, we traded our first pick to Geelong as part of the Matthew Robbins deal.

Melbourne were the only team to get a priority pick in '97 trading pick 2 & 18 to Freo for Jeff White (Freo on-traded pick 2 to Richmond for Chris Bond). We got Melbournes second round pick - pick 18 - from Freo for Danny Hargraves.

BTW - Acker < Batman

People expect too much too early.

There's no doubt Ray has the poise and talent to be a star, but we need to nurture him and let his body develop. We knew that when we took him.

scooter600x said:
For garden variety dipsticks like Acker, we traded our first pick to Geelong as part of the Matthew Robbins deal.

Melbourne were the only team to get a priority pick in '97 trading pick 2 & 18 to Freo for Jeff White (Freo on-traded pick 2 to Richmond for Chris Bond). We got Melbournes second round pick - pick 18 - from Freo for Danny Hargraves.

BTW - Acker < Batman

Good on ya "scooter" 4th or 5th into the punch up "cant be to carefull can u"
Your right about Robbins but at the end of the day Alvey was and still is our 1st draft pick in 1997, and if you and some other mathematic short people like borgsta can remember how to count for a second that makes him our highest draft pick.
And I've got another big word for you "scooter" its called "plagarise" and you did that when you repeated the word I used earlier in the thread "dipstick"
Your a soft moron scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acker

acker said:
Good on ya "scooter" 4th or 5th into the punch up "cant be to carefull can u"
Your right about Robbins but at the end of the day Alvey was and still is our 1st draft pick in 1997, and if you and some other mathematic short people like borgsta can remember how to count for a second that makes him our highest draft pick.
And I've got another big word for you "scooter" its called "plagarise" and you did that when you repeated the word I used earlier in the thread "dipstick"
Your a soft moron scooter

plz explain the mathematical midget theory. What did I get wrong?

Was it when I corrected you with Murphys draft year?
Was it when I informed you that Alvey was a 2nd round pick?
Was it when you somehow thought that Ryan Hargrave would have somehow been magically traded in 1997?

Please what was it that led you to believe that I am a mathematical midget?

Borgsta said:
plz explain the mathematical midget theory. What did I get wrong?

Was it when I corrected you with Murphys draft year? True and I apologised and corrected it
Was it when I informed you that Alvey was a 2nd round pick? He was still our highest pick
Was it when you somehow thought that Ryan Hargrave would have somehow been magically traded in 1997? I only asked you for clarification Daniel or Ryan your telling me about magic trades
Please what was it that led you to believe that I am a mathematical midget?
"Even then pick 18 isnt a very high pick" Its still our highest

Is this thread about Ray or Alvey? Anyways… Ray is going to be a gun. No doubt about it. Just because someone isn’t setting the world on fire 18months into their career doesn’t mean they’ll never be any good. We should be happy that this young, skinny kid doesn’t have to go and get his body smashed up in AFL packs before he is ready to do so… giving him time to mature now will mean a longer and more productive career at the doggies in the long run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ray is a disapointment "so far"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back