Autopsy Rd 1 - We Flog Brisbane, But at What Cost

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe I didn't explain my question enough.

First how it usually works - In this example (freo kicking to left of screen) the ball is marked by freo player and the marker goes back along the red line and kicks over the mark. the man on the mark (lions) can stand on the x or anywhere on the green:

1710723714550.png

And the defending player stands on the X and this is normal:

1710723763158.png

But in the Hayden Young case (Lions kicking to right of screen) it was different. Zorko takes the mark:

1710723808118.png

Then the the marker, Zorko, walks forward:
1710723870842.png

So Hayden Young was penalised for standing in the green.

I guess my question is more "why in this case was the point of catching the ball no longer "the mark" and why could Young be penalised for being in an area normally allowable?" Shouldn't Young have been allowed to stand on the X and Zorko have to back up along the red line and kick over the X? What am I missing?

Maybe I didn't explain my question enough.

First how it usually works - In this example (freo kicking to left of screen) the ball is marked by freo player and the marker goes back along the red line and kicks over the mark. the man on the mark (lions) can stand on the x or anywhere on the green:

View attachment 1931551

And the defending player stands on the X and this is normal:

View attachment 1931552

But in the Hayden Young case (Lions kicking to right of screen) it was different. Zorko takes the mark:

View attachment 1931553

Then the the marker, Zorko, walks forward:
View attachment 1931556

So Hayden Young was penalised for standing in the green.

I guess my question is more "why in this case was the point of cathing the ball no longer "the mark" and why could Young be penalised for being in an area normally allowable?" SHouldn't Young have been allowed to stand on the X and Zorko have to back up along the red lin and kick over the X? What am I missing?

I'm not entirely sure, but my take on it was Ryan was the one who was supposed to stand on the mark. When he rolled off to be outside the 5, then nobody is allowed to stand right on the mark. So when Young came in, then Young was pinged for encroaching into the protected area.

It seemed the right call to me from the stands and after watching it on the big screen. I haven't watched the replay, so don't know what the umpire/commentators said.

I'm not entirely sure, but my take on it was Ryan was the one who was supposed to stand on the mark. When he rolled off to be outside the 5, then nobody is allowed to stand right on the mark. So when Young came in, then Young was pinged for encroaching into the protected area.

It seemed the right call to me from the stands and after watching it on the big screen. I haven't watched the replay, so don't know what the umpire/commentators said.

I see where you are coming from but why was the protected area so far in front of where the mark was taken? How did the protected area move downfield? Somehow in the situation, the "mark" got transported several metres toward the goal and the Zorko wasn't called "play on" for being 2 steps forward of where he took the mark. Is it to do with the confusion of who was going to stand on the mark? As far as I can see, the rules allow for a defending play to be penalised if he crosses between the "mark" and the player taking their kick. I can think of several examples of players - even a couple of them being in the green area without penalty.

Can anyone run me through their thoughts on the Zorko - Young 50m penalty for the Lions' third goal? Should Zorko not have been asked to go back and kick over the mark? Was Young really penalised for encroaching a "mark" that was several metres AHEAD of where Zorko actually caught the ball? If so, how did the "mark" get moved upfield from the point where he caught the ball?

About 4 and a half minutes into the game on the game clock.
Someone was already on the mark.

Winning shouldn't gloss over the fact Ethan is lucky to be still on our list.

He has been here since December 2014 it will be 10 years this year.

He shouldn't still be such an average kick after 10 years in the system.

Every player throw themselves at the contest so Ethan isnt special when it comes to that regard.
We all need a whipping boy and Hughes is one that cops it regularly. He was poor by foot in Q1 but after that he was fine. He is the hardest bloke at the club so we absolutely need him while others recover from injury for sure…

Someone was already on the mark.

If that is the call then... ok but the two isues with that:
- the other guy never got within several metres of the actual point the ball was caught so was he really on "the mark"? Its not like he took up position and then ran away.

- if we accept that he WAS on the mark and has run away then Zorko has played on by crossing the mark. far from being penalised, Young could have tackled him.And young didn't go to the mark - he went 3 or 4 metres downfield

(sorry for sounding like I am arguing with everyone! but I am not getting it )

I'm pretty sure the broadcasters (FF or 7) orchestrate at least one or two of the commentators to take on the perspective of one of the sides. Especially when teams from different states are involved. So that way the viewers/supporters can feel vindicated (and more inclined to watch even if their side is struggling). They had both Pav and Kath Loughnan (plus 2 other "West Aussies") on the panel, Pav could easily be the one to have that role.

Likewise I could imagine Pav wanting to be "objective", but not quite get the swing to the middle to land bang on either.
Well, if it was Pav he does it bloody well.
He must get that role at all our games. What’s worse is he isn’t TTP ; **** him.

Last edited:
If that is the call then... ok but the two isues with that:
- the other guy never got within several metres of the actual point the ball was caught so was he really on "the mark" Its not like he took up position and then ran away.

- if we accept that he WAS on the mark and has run away then Zorko has played on by crossing the mark. far from being penalised, Young could have tackled him.

(sorry for sounding like I am arguing with everyone! but I am not getting it )
The other player is standing the mark or outside 5 (whichever) and Young isn't allowed to run within 5 to take either of those positions.

I see where you are coming from but why was the protected area so far in front of where the mark was taken? How did the protected area move downfield? Somehow in the situation, the "mark" got transported several metres toward the goal and the Zorko wasn't called "play on" for being 2 steps forward of where he took the mark. Is it to do with the confusion of who was going to stand on the mark? As far as I can see, the rules allow for a defending play to be penalised if he crosses between the "mark" and the player taking their kick. I can think of several examples of players - even a couple of them being in the green area without penalty.
Young came from behind and arguably ran within 5 m of the player as he was running to the mark. Umps will let players do that if they're running to the mark, but Ryan was already standing the mark and Young was moving in to switch with him. Thus he infringed on the protected zone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I enjoyed the tackling intent, and specifically the timing of allowing the opposition player to get the ball then taking them down a second later with a tackle to trap the ball. We trust our stoppage game

There were a few times we could have gotten to the ball first, and chose to sit off the man instead. A team that soccers the ball forward more will counteract us, but then the ball isn't under control by anyone

Man, midfield just looked completely different to last year. Adding Youngy and Fyfe makes us look so much tougher around the ball. Thrilled.

Amiss on track for 93 goals ✅

Loved that kick-out from Luke Ryan in the first quarter. First kick-out of the year and it was an absolute bullet to Youngy on the centre square. Set the intent for the game perfectly. Terrific game from Luke.

Sharp, Jeremy. Loved his game. For a lean looking guy he has a booming kick. Perfect for that wing spot.

Genuinely think everybody played a brilliant game other than Johnno who was a bit shakey and Tommy who was fairly quiet. Back them in to go again though.

No idea if he's ready or not but I'd love a Draper/Davies debut. Heartbreaking for OMac. Really hope we sign him on for another year, goes to show how important depth is.

Also kinda love that Nev didn't go for a checkside in that left pocket. Backed himself in for the drop punt. Nearly got it too. No fuss, no frills.

Bring on the boomers.

Compare his stats with any medium defender, they will stack up. Here’s Brandon Starcevich for example.

The thing about Hughes is he tries to be creative with his kicking which is something we have all been crying out for off half back, not to mention the run he provides. It wont always come off, but he’s not one to continually bomb it down the line.

I don’t know what games you watch, but Hughes is in the top 10% when it comes to attack on the ball.
This. I think some of turnovers he had in the first quarter was a result of taking a riskier option and combined with rust and perhaps not having skill to pull it off..

What's not mentioned much is after those, there was one play in front and not far from goals he went in hard and prevent Brisbane player almost getting their hands on it which would of resulted in a goal

The other player is standing the mark or outside 5 (whichever) and Young isn't allowed to run within 5 to take either of those positions.
I will take that as my best answer. And I will let it go..... (but Zorko had played on by being over the mark... )

It's a loop hole in the rules if umpires are calling stand when players are behind the notional mark but have the protected zone move forward with the player. What Young did though was 50 as it's written (swap players on the mark coming back through the protected zone, even if it was on a pretty shallow angle).

The whole point of the protected space rule though was to prevent opposition players blocking space for teammates of the the player with the ball from running past from behind to receive. When you see players pinged for swapping the mark to the side in front a stationary player 4 metres away with no-one behind on the whole field, let alone teammates, we're well into the rules for the sake of rules zone.

'Stand' and the Protected zone as they are officiated are now continually leading to a large penalty for players not trying to gain an advantage, rather more often its the team with the ball trying to game it.

Man, midfield just looked completely different to last year. Adding Youngy and Fyfe makes us look so much tougher around the ball. Thrilled.

Amiss on track for 93 goals

Loved that kick-out from Luke Ryan in the first quarter. First kick-out of the year and it was an absolute bullet to Youngy on the centre square. Set the intent for the game perfectly. Terrific game from Luke.

Sharp, Jeremy. Loved his game. For a lean looking guy he has a booming kick. Perfect for that wing spot.

Genuinely think everybody played a brilliant game other than Johnno who was a bit shakey and Tommy who was fairly quiet. Back them in to go again though.

No idea if he's ready or not but I'd love a Draper/Davies debut. Heartbreaking for OMac. Really hope we sign him on for another year, goes to show how important depth is.

Also kinda love that Nev didn't go for a checkside in that left pocket. Backed himself in for the drop punt. Nearly got it too. No fuss, no frills.

Bring on the boomers.

I was sitting right behind Amiss for that goal. We ( me & my mate) both said right goalpost let the wind bring it through & he hit it perfectly but the ball stayed dead straight.
He’s a brilliant kick.

So many great performances, so standouts only:

Fyfe was a beast. We got beaten up in the middle last year. This game Fyfe got the ball from the tap, they tried to manhandle him instantly, he didn't notice and got the ball out to our advantage. Players passed to his fingertips which would have been missed by others and probably gone back the other way. Instead, the Fyfe buckets held on and again kept it going forward. Brissie remonstrates and fyfe is holding off two big dudes with a hand each. Awesome stuff. Good to have him back, in the middle, staying on the ground, playing his role as extractor and enforcer.

Pearce literally kept us from getting demolished in the first in the back half. He was Hodor.

Switta's effort to spoil turned the momentum

Serong and his ever largening quads owned the ball.

Treacy and Amiss and Jackson are the tall goal-kicking forward line we have been waiting for since Pav's retirement.

Downers:

Injuries obviously.

MJ had a shocker but he's young, we have high expectations of him, and so he will learn a lot from those mistakes.

Hughes kicking straight to the chest of Brissie players 3 times early in the game was not impressive.

We tried to be a bit cute at times in the first and it often went pear shaped (e.g. Ryan's drop back off the mark to cause Young to step in and get 50). Once we removed that things went better.

Amiss on track for 93 goals ✅

Bring on the boomers.
Midfield looks big again. Serong and Andy have really grown into their bodies. Youngie prob another preseason away from being a physical specimen too.

i dont like about amiss doesnt snap around the body on those tight angles. Walters showed how its done. Though who am I to tell Jye how to kick for goal.

Yeah Sharp absolutely flushed a couple of 50-60 metre kicks, the equivalent to 3 Liam Henry kicks. And he has serious wheels. Once he gets confidence in his game and what he is expected to do with our style, he'll be a gun running up and down Optus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 1 - We Flog Brisbane, But at What Cost

Remove this Banner Ad

Back