Autopsy Rd 1 - We Flog Brisbane, But at What Cost

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been telling yas he is very good backup ruck with little fwd craft. Now obviously I got that last part wrong (at least last night)

That was his best game for freo yesterday. Loved his physicality, especially in the ruck.

He looked a determined player, just can’t drink the bath water and back it up v North.
Agree 100%

That's the thing for him now isn't it..do it every week.

On the back of this Hughes will make some mistakes & it’s enhanced because supporters are looking for them specifically from him.

But if you want someone to throw themselves at a contest with no care for his own safety, Hughes will do it.

Current coaching is about enhancing players strengths, there a reason he plays & instead of looking at his negatives, look at what he brings to his teammates.

You can put Banfield in that basket as well. You can’t play 22 potential Brownlow medallist’s, the salary cap doesn’t allow for it, a number of players are there to play a role.

Sharp played a great role too & will get even better.
Winning shouldn't gloss over the fact Ethan is lucky to be still on our list.

He has been here since December 2014 it will be 10 years this year.

He shouldn't still be such an average kick after 10 years in the system.

Every player throw themselves at the contest so Ethan isnt special when it comes to that regard.

I thought our composure was a bit shaky in the final quarter though.
We got let off the hook by some bad misses from them. Had Lohmann and Hipwood kicked those two goals we might have been under severe pressure.
That’s definitely something to improve on. A few times in the first 10 min of the final quarter we were out and attacking and one more goal would have killed it off but some players made some really poor decisions and butchered what should have been easy goals, leaving them in the game.
Happy to put the fumbling in the last quarter down to game one fatigue late on.
The misses are fairly par for the course though.

We missed a few easy shots as well in that last quarter that would've killed off the contest well and truly. The fact they did too validates accuracy on goal gets harder as the game gets to it's latter stages and the pressure of establishing a good lead at 3/4 time.

Ebbs and flows. Got to surge on the flow.

I think he shouldn't commentate Freo games at all. Then he wouldn't be so contrived in his commentary and it would probably be good.

I like Schofield though.
Pav has done a few SA games with no WA teams involved and its a lot better.

Pav has always been a humble person its clearly deliberate not wanting to be seen as bias when it comes to Freo

It'll be interesting to see how we go in the first quarter next week.

I get the feeling playing a team that has already played had a big part in it tbh. Also don't give away a dumb rushed behind free kick and 50m penalty we go into quarter time less than a goal down.

It obviously looks bad because of the last 18 months but there's circumstances in this one that don't help imo.

Winning shouldn't gloss over the fact Ethan is lucky to be still on our list.

He has been here since December 2014 it will be 10 years this year.

He shouldn't still be such an average kick after 10 years in the system.

Every player throw themselves at the contest so Ethan isnt special when it comes to that regard.
Compare his stats with any medium defender, they will stack up. Here’s Brandon Starcevich for example.

The thing about Hughes is he tries to be creative with his kicking which is something we have all been crying out for off half back, not to mention the run he provides. It wont always come off, but he’s not one to continually bomb it down the line.

I don’t know what games you watch, but Hughes is in the top 10% when it comes to attack on the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That undersells what Throwning Himself at it means in reference to Ethan Hughes, he wins the bravery award for reasons.

For all the flaws in his game, you don't need to play down his physical commitment to the contest.

Can anyone run me through their thoughts on the Zorko - Young 50m penalty for the Lions' third goal? Should Zorko not have been asked to go back and kick over the mark? Was Young really penalised for encroaching a "mark" that was several metres AHEAD of where Zorko actually caught the ball? If so, how did the "mark" get moved upfield from the point where he caught the ball?

About 4 and a half minutes into the game on the game clock.
He was told to stand and didn’t. Its 50m

What an absolute grub this Tom Morris is. Had this shitty segment ready to go after tonight’s game then it looked ridiculous after a great win - he goes and does it anyway. The other two (actual afl players) thought it was stupid.

This show is basically Morris giving his opinion.

What a smarmy little flog! ‘We all disagree’ .. bullsh.. Two out of three disagreed with him and they are the ones with opinions that carry weight. Bet your arse if we’d signed JL for 2 more year he’d have been railing about that too and if nothing at all had been done he’d be on the under pressure bandwagon…

What a smarmy little flog! ‘We all disagree’ .. bullsh.. Two out of three disagreed with him and they are the ones with opinions that carry weight. Bet your arse if we’d signed JL for 2 more year he’d have been railing about that too and if nothing at all had been done he’d be on the under pressure bandwagon…
Morris prepared that before we beat the Lions and I'd be a lot of money he assumed we'd lose.

Matty Lloyd called them all out on AAA this morning, never seen tat level of vitriol directed towards a coach re-signing before.

Damo going red next to him.

Great win. Didn’t think that was possible after first 15 minutes of the game. Speaking of that, that was putrid and comical. Let’s chalk it up to rust but far out I saw some of those shocking handballs in the last quarter too. But really, them starts are still an issue and the quicker we fix that, better off we will be.

Everyone already mentioned Serong, Amiss, JT etc. and they had awesome games. I thought Luke Ryan was brilliant, some of his kicks were deadly l. Fyfe made a big difference in the midfield, he still has a lot to offer and his physical presence make others walk a bit taller I teckon. I thought Worner was pretty good as well (that was very brave going for that mark like that, hope he recovers quickly) and Sharp didn’t look out of place.

Very happy and I’m looking forward to next week

Treacy playing the way he did after very underwhelming pre season games was a nice surprise. One of his best games for us
thought it was his best game in purple.

if he can peform at that level more consistently, our FWD line looks exciting for a decade. will definitely be all about consistency for JT.

and of course McDonald kicked a bag for Swans right after i say i don't get why we're interested, but i did note that all his goals bar one were goal-tending, marked in the square more or less. i don't think he offers anywhere near as much for halving contests/crashing packs etc.

also Darcy Moore didn't know where the f his man was half the night, lol.

He was told to stand and didn’t. Its 50m
I get that he was told to stand, but why there? - my question is why he was told to stand metres away from where the mark was taken. Shouldn't the defending player stand on the point where the mark was taken and the marker / kicker back up and kick over the mark?

Morris prepared that before we beat the Lions and I'd be a lot of money he assumed we'd lose.
They also said he was 3 years in when it’s actually 4 done by JL.
Can’t even get the basic facts right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 1 - We Flog Brisbane, But at What Cost

Remove this Banner Ad

Back