AFLW Rd 1 West Coast vs Richmond, 30/08 9:15 Vic Time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Typical Richmond loss - men’s or women’s.

Start the game on the back foot lacking energy giving the other team the jump.

Poor discipline giving away frees in dangerous spots plus 50 meter penalties

& then top it all off by kicking woefully at goal

Very familiar and frustrating

They’d be super disappointed in that loss. WC kicked 1 after half time. Only 10 rounds in their season? Gotta hit the ground running.
Anyone know why we let Jess Hosking go? Was surprised at the time I must admit…

Our skills are absolutely disgraceful for this stage in the comp and players are too slow to make up for it. Dump kicks forward and pressure game plans do not work in this league.
There were a few times we hit up a key forward , missed the goal every time from <20m bloody disgraceful

They’d be super disappointed in that loss. WC kicked 1 after half time. Only 10 rounds in their season? Gotta hit the ground running.
Anyone know why we let Jess Hosking go? Was surprised at the time I must admit…
Good clubmen the hoskos, pretty avg footballers , this will be Sarah’s last year I’d say , didn’t surprise Jess put up a spirted performance, never did much for us ,that said I wasn’t to Impressed with the recruits, I’d be putting up the draftees asap
Alloway 5/10
And the short one hicks like coxy too small and terrible disposal

Last edited:
I think coaching was the difference. WC had Daisy Pearce as their coach. Daisy Pearce was a champion player. Scott had a direct line to Daisy Pearce when she was at Geelong because she sees the game so well.
Daisy Pearce was destined to be a coach. Daisy Pearce, Daisy Pearce, Daisy Pearce.................
We kicked 4G 6 sec half that aint coaching
We had more
I50
Clearance
Contested
Scoring shots
And lost by a point

We kicked 4G 6 sec half that aint coaching
We had more
I50
Clearance
Contested
Scoring shots
And lost by a point
Totally agree, Ferguson wasn’t giving away those 50 metre penalties or missing simple shots, the players need to take responsibility and bounce back this week. They had played well in the preseason so can definitely improve on that effort.

HTF do u miss everything 20m out directly in front
Thats not just a red flag thats three fat bastards on each other’s shoulders waving a red flag on a red truck driving around Punt Rd.

FMD

What a disappointing game that was. Coming up against WC should have been an easy win to start the season. Full credit to the WC girls for there effort & tenacity in the first half, simply outworked us all over the ground. I'm not sure what we have worked on in the pre-season as we played as bad as last season. I thought Conti was best on ground out of both teams, she never stops trying, even trying to get other players involved. Kelly needs to be main ruck for the remainder of the season, as we look so much better when she is in the middle. McKenzie had short burst's of great play, then disappear for periods of the game. Hopefully as the season goes on she will become more consistent. Yassir looked good once she got the opportunity to see the ball in the second half, Dempsey was the only player that performed well enough to get a mention. As for the rest of the team, they need a big rocket for the effort tonight. Egan's mistake towards the end of the last quarter was cringeworthy, someone with her experience should not be making amateur mistakes such as that & ultimately cost us the game with such a bad turnover. Also our forward line structure would have to be close to the worst in the competition, there is no cohesion with any of the players there, which then puts the questions on the coaches, what are they actually teaching them in the pre-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles look quick and they do like to hand ball quickly but overall they aint much chop. If it wasnt for our undisciplined acts in that first half which cost us 3 out of the eagles 5 goals we win easy. With all that we should've still won once we hit the front.

Miller not to blame as we still won the ball from her kick at half back but Egan should've gone as long as possible past the wing but a silly little inboard kick cost the team the game. It was that bad kick that led to the eagles winning goal with 55 secs left on the clock.
OK, yes they handball quickly, but they kick to a leading or spreading player as well, which we only do spasmodically. I mean look at their first two goals and the build up.

The undisciplined acts are a feature of our play, sadly. Not sure they were as impactive as the missed shots on goal though.

We won virtually every metric except uncontested possessions, because we don't play for that, and we should at times. I get we are a contested team, but a coach doesn't have to be a slave to that ethos.

Last edited:
Sheerin, Lavey and Sarah Hosking out robs us from some speed especially with Sheerin and Lavey.
It's obvious we lack direction down the middle without Sheerin.

I didn’t see the game but not sure if this would explain the performance at all. Got told by a mate to back the eagles at $6 due to an illness that went thru half of the Richmond girls!
Hmm tbh it came down to bad kicking ,4G 6 in sec half , and lots of sodas , 20m out right in front , we did enough to win it , gave away a lot of 50s , they got a wtf free for goal in the sq ,,,wasnt our night

What a disappointing game that was. Coming up against WC should have been an easy win to start the season. Full credit to the WC girls for there effort & tenacity in the first half, simply outworked us all over the ground. I'm not sure what we have worked on in the pre-season as we played as bad as last season. I thought Conti was best on ground out of both teams, she never stops trying, even trying to get other players involved. Kelly needs to be main ruck for the remainder of the season, as we look so much better when she is in the middle. McKenzie had short burst's of great play, then disappear for periods of the game. Hopefully as the season goes on she will become more consistent. Yassir looked good once she got the opportunity to see the ball in the second half, Dempsey was the only player that performed well enough to get a mention. As for the rest of the team, they need a big rocket for the effort tonight. Egan's mistake towards the end of the last quarter was cringeworthy, someone with her experience should not be making amateur mistakes such as that & ultimately cost us the game with such a bad turnover. Also our forward line structure would have to be close to the worst in the competition, there is no cohesion with any of the players there, which then puts the questions on the coaches, what are they actually teaching them in the pre-season.
Ellie will get better by the week , she’s missed like 2 seasons with bugger all footy played , Egan is like the cumbo of the side capable of dumb play that was just plain stupid to pop the ball up like that . I really hope they intro some of the younger players for pace as we still look slow at times , especially when it goes in f50 and milzy isn’t on the scene

I agree, I thought her and the last quarter from McKenzie were about the only highlights and of course Mon is just Mon, never plays a poor game.

You can add Yassir too, some nice over head marks and kicks which resulted in goals plus the chase down and goal to put us in front.

Hmm tbh it came down to bad kicking ,4G 6 in sec half , and lots of sodas , 20m out right in front , we did enough to win it , gave away a lot of 50s , they got a wtf free for goal in the sq ,,,wasnt our night
Trust me mate, the guy that told me this doesn’t just make this stuff up and he is very much in the know. 100% could/should have still won but the eagles are likely to be bottom 2. Im just saying by knowing this it might be worth holding judgement on the girls for this performance.

Watching wardlaw put on a masterclass in kpp forward craft , was what I was hoping we’d get with our star recruit McKinnon. I hope the coach works out damn quick we need to inject pace into this side we labored unless millzy was around , a trend in last 3 seasons ,,,,fix it

While I don't think we have a quick backline, I also don't think we are slow, Isobel Bacon would be the quickest of that group, but as a first year defender I think she would be a break glass in case of injury player, as probably still behind others in her disposal at this stage. our forward line, Milsy the exception, lacks pace. If we don't turn things around quickly I'd play McKenzie Ford who's very quick asap.

Is Tamara Luke an option for McKinnon?, or is it too early as she's the late call up replacement for McKinnon?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Rd 1 West Coast vs Richmond, 30/08 9:15 Vic Time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back