AFLW Rd 1 West Coast vs Richmond, 30/08 9:15 Vic Time.

Remove this Banner Ad

While I don't think we have a quick backline, I also don't think we are slow, Isobel Bacon would be the quickest of that group, but as a first year defender I think she would be a break glass in case of injury player, as probably still behind others in her disposal at this stage. our forward line, Milsy the exception, lacks pace. If we don't turn things around quickly I'd play McKenzie Ford who's very quick asap.

Is Tamara Luke an option for McKinnon?, or is it too early as she's the late call up replacement for McKinnon?
Not in raptures with hicks very small , I’d easily push bacon into that role
Hope Ryan shows a bit more sec up to

While I don't think we have a quick backline, I also don't think we are slow, Isobel Bacon would be the quickest of that group, but as a first year defender I think she would be a break glass in case of injury player, as probably still behind others in her disposal at this stage. our forward line, Milsy the exception, lacks pace. If we don't turn things around quickly I'd play McKenzie Ford who's very quick asap.

Is Tamara Luke an option for McKinnon?, or is it too early as she's the late call up replacement for McKinnon?
Not sure how she moves , peck should come in to , she looked really good late last year

Not in raptures with hicks very small , I’d easily push bacon into that role
Hope Ryan shows a bit more sec up to
yep Hicks, Lynch and McLelland didn't show much or provide any run and carry
Miller and Graham are a risk 1 on 1, heart in the mouth type stuff unfortunately

can't have Ryan, Jones and Reid in the team at the same time
Greiser is not up to AFLW standard, game has gone past her
if Brennan has an off game there's no-one to kick goals

OK, yes they handball quickly, but they kick to a leading or spreading player as well, which we only do spasmodically. I mean look at their first two goals and the build up.

The undisciplined acts are a feature of our play, sadly. Not sure they were as impactive as the missed shots on goal though.

We won virtually every metric except uncontested possessions, because we don't play for that, and we should at times. I get we are a contested team, but a coach doesn't have to be a slave to that ethos.
that's on the coach, not having all the strings to the bow
undisciplined acts are RFC's DNA, again the coach needs to stamp that out

not sure Ferguson is the man going forward, Erin Phillips maybe?

Ellie will get better by the week , she’s missed like 2 seasons with bugger all footy played , Egan is like the cumbo of the side capable of dumb play that was just plain stupid to pop the ball up like that . I really hope they intro some of the younger players for pace as we still look slow at times , especially when it goes in f50 and milzy isn’t on the scene
McKenzie and Egan are not the problem
sure Egan made a dumb kick, but where was the defensive set up?
who was manning up, setting up the defence, showing some leadership?

the MC are ballsing up the side, taking out Sheerin and Shevlin, replacing them with Hicks, Mclellend and Lynch......recipe for disaster
why have Miller kicking out?
couldn't see 1 kick out directed at our best mark in Seymour
why not put Eastman down back (where she's played her best football), instead of trying to make her a pressure fwd?

our backline, as well as our fwd line are our Achilles heel

Miller and Graham are risky 1 on 1, Peck has to come in for 1 of them
there's no run and carry, kick outs are whoa full, no one showing some leadership down there
send Eastman to the backline, send Bacon back there as well and tell her to run, run and run some more

Woods has to play in fwd line, get Greiser out of there, not up to it
Brennan not getting any younger and it's starting to show, have to find another KPF sooner rather than later
Reid and Jones aren't the answer up fwd for the future
we need someone like a Bodey, Ponter or Hore who are goal kickers and we have to find them fast

Tamara Luke won't be ready until around Rd3, has to get fitness up

Ferg said in presser that "we anticipated what WCE were going to do" and "everything can be fixed quickly"
WOW, we really were ready for them weren't we
seems not much has changed at RFC since last year, probably won't until we get a new coach

there's no run and carry, kick outs are whoa full, no one showing some leadership down there
send Eastman to the backline, send Bacon back there as well and tell her to run, run and run some more

Brennan not getting any younger and it's starting to show, have to find another KPF sooner rather than later
we need someone like a Bodey, Ponter or Hore who are goal kickers and we have to find them fast

Ferg said in presser that "we anticipated what WCE were going to do" and "everything can be fixed quickly"
seems not much has changed at RFC since last year, probably won't until we get a new coach
I think you are being a bit tough on Ferguson, I am sure he didn’t tell the players to give away stupid free kicks and miss from 10 metres out, that is all on the players. If they didn’t do that we still would have won comfortably despite playing poorly for most of it.

Maybe he didn’t have them ready, maybe they were a bit off. Complacent etc.
Like you said we don’t have top quality talent in the fwd line after Brennan and I do worry about Miller.
He looked really disappointed to me, probably the more than I’ve ever noticed.
No doubt we’ll come out red hot next game but then we got after GWS
Syd (away)
Carl (ikon)
Port (Ikon)
North (Tassie)

We need to kick goals.

yep Hicks, Lynch and McLelland didn't show much or provide any run and carry
Miller and Graham are a risk 1 on 1, heart in the mouth type stuff unfortunately

can't have Ryan, Jones and Reid in the team at the same time
Greiser is not up to AFLW standard, game has gone past her
if Brennan has an off game there's no-one to kick goals
Tbh mclleland could do min what greisner does , both slow as buggery tho , Laura prob better kick . Jones I reckon is best of that lot , has a real knack of finding a goal , frustrating as hell that she stuffs up the easier chances , nothing new in that tho. Reid hasn’t improved at all , her spot should be opened up and as mentioned earlier hope Ryan can show a bit .
Anyways , all would be forgiven if we could beat top of the table GWS , good luck girls

Like you said we don’t have top quality talent in the fwd line after Brennan and I do worry about Miller.
Syd (away)
Carl (ikon)
Port (Ikon)
North (Tassie)

We need to kick goals.
Well the promising sign was we did have a lot of scoring opportunities and perish the thought we’d kick that bad again ,,,,if we can get sheerin back into the side and Ellie Mc will get better by the week , she’s played fa footy last 2y …she gave us a lot of drive 4q , I still think we will win our share of games .

McKenzie and Egan are not the problem
sure Egan made a dumb kick, but where was the defensive set up?
who was manning up, setting up the defence, showing some leadership?

the MC are ballsing up the side, taking out Sheerin and Shevlin, replacing them with Hicks, Mclellend and Lynch......recipe for disaster
why have Miller kicking out?
couldn't see 1 kick out directed at our best mark in Seymour
why not put Eastman down back (where she's played her best football), instead of trying to make her a pressure fwd?
Good call , I didn’t have a problem with Egan apart from that dumb play and you're right , someone should have ran past for a handball receive, something , anything . And yep shevlin as a running back is a much better idea , graham is a big worry , good lord she went back that far to kick from a free that she ended up kicking about 15 yards left of her oppo on the mark, turnover and then goal ,,,you can’t make this up , did I mention when she stubbed her foot on the ball and Kicked it 30m into oppo i50
lol anyways good to have the footy back

I will reserve judgement on Ferguson & recruiting until later in the season, as maybe it was an off game. Yet I'm not overly confident after watching some of the newer teams work ethic & skills, as they look way better than ours at the moment.

Well the promising sign was we did have a lot of scoring opportunities and perish the thought we’d kick that bad again ,,,,if we can get sheerin back into the side and Ellie Mc will get better by the week , she’s played fa footy last 2y …she gave us a lot of drive 4q , I still think we will win our share of games .
None ofthem played like they need to win in the first quarter, it was flipping diabolical and our Captain( alotve kicks hits the ground in front of her all game) should have a scruffed all of em and told them to get fair dinkum but it didn’t happen.
I’m disappointed with that.
Brennan is in real danger of drifting into the Moana Hope category of a footballer who could have been something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None ofthem played like they need to win in the first quarter, it was flipping diabolical and our Captain( alotve kicks hits the ground in front of her all game) should have a scruffed all of em and told them to get fair dinkum but it didn’t happen.
I’m disappointed with that.
Brennan is in real danger of drifting into the Moana Hope category of a footballer who could have been something.
Kb is like 31 , last 2y of her career , she’s been pretty ok 1000% better than hope,,,, but she ain’t perfect

I will reserve judgement on Ferguson & recruiting until later in the season, as maybe it was an off game. Yet I'm not overly confident after watching some of the newer teams work ethic & skills, as they look way better than ours at the moment.
My fear , happy to be proven wrong is that the newbs didn’t look much chop , that’s why I’m eager to see what the draftees look like as they looked good in junior tapes

Kb is like 31 , last 2y of her career , she’s been pretty ok 1000% better than hope,,,, but she ain’t perfect
When KB was at her best she was good, as some of these younger players, that have obviously been exposed to AFL from a younger age, are showing that these original players are just average now. KB as a player would now just be a pass mark for any new recruit, so over the next few years that the standard should lift significantly. The only player I rate as above average in our team at the moment is Conti, there are a few others that could also lift to be there as well. Which is my main concern with our team, when you watch other teams that seem to have multiple above average footballers in the team & will only improve in leaps & bounds, which could leave us languishing towards the bottom of the ladder.

I think you are being a bit tough on Ferguson, I am sure he didn’t tell the players to give away stupid free kicks and miss from 10 metres out, that is all on the players. If they didn’t do that we still would have won comfortably despite playing poorly for most of it.
yeah i am being tough on him, but i'll include the leadership group as well
the buck stops with them, how do you dish up that performance for 2 1/2 Q when you want to play finals?

3 x 50 metres and 3 goals resulting from free kicks, didn't see Daisey's WC do that
this has been happening far too long under Ferg
he's a nice guy, doing the best he can and all that, but who's holding the reins on the horse?

yeah i am being tough on him, but i'll include the leadership group as well
the buck stops with them, how do you dish up that performance for 2 1/2 Q when you want to play finals?

3 x 50 metres and 3 goals resulting from free kicks, didn't see Daisey's WC do that
this has been happening far too long under Ferg
he's a nice guy, doing the best he can and all that, but who's holding the reins on the horse?
I certainly understand your disappointment I think we were all shocked with such a poor effort, Ferguson included. I never blame any coach for undisciplined acts as it isn’t as if they are instructing them to do that, it is purely selfishness on behalf of the player. It hurts even more in women’s football as 50 metres is a huge penalty. If any player is a repeat offender this week I would hope he deals with it appropriately.

Syd (away)
Carl (ikon)
Port (Ikon)
North (Tassie)

We need to kick goals.
in the presser he said he had the team ready, but did anyone see it for 2 1/2 Q?
he looked deflated as well, i'm not sure he'll take us any further up the ladder

with 5 already by far better, i'd count 4 extra teams that look better than we are ATM
that leaves us mid table and by the end of the North game we could be 3w or worse

I certainly understand your disappointment I think we were all shocked with such a poor effort, Ferguson included. I never blame any coach for undisciplined acts as it isn’t as if they are instructing them to do that, it is purely selfishness on behalf of the player. It hurts even more in women’s football as 50 metres is a huge penalty. If any player is a repeat offender this week I would hope he deals with it appropriately.
yeah disappointed but not surprised
if it was an isolated case okay fair enough, but it's not
been happening every year and the bad discipline will keep happening until Ferg drops someone
i doubt he will tho, he seems too nice a person and that's what worries me
can't remember him giving the team a rev up, ever

Tbh mclleland could do min what greisner does , both slow as buggery tho , Laura prob better kick . Jones I reckon is best of that lot , has a real knack of finding a goal , frustrating as hell that she stuffs up the easier chances , nothing new in that tho. Reid hasn’t improved at all , her spot should be opened up and as mentioned earlier hope Ryan can show a bit .
Anyways , all would be forgiven if we could beat top of the table GWS , good luck girls
agree with you
Greisner, when the ball hit the ground, was toast
hasn't taken a contested mark, can't remember her having a score involvement, didn't goal
Brennan and Yassir had more contested marks than the whole fwd line

Yep, not a like for like replacement, not all all
Eastman is not a pressure forward.

I'm for playing Bacon, throw her in the deep end, couldn't be any worse than that trio were, at the very least gives her a taste of senior footy.

When KB was at her best she was good, as some of these younger players, that have obviously been exposed to AFL from a younger age, are showing that these original players are just average now. KB as a player would now just be a pass mark for any new recruit, so over the next few years that the standard should lift significantly. The only player I rate as above average in our team at the moment is Conti, there are a few others that could also lift to be there as well. Which is my main concern with our team, when you watch other teams that seem to have multiple above average footballers in the team & will only improve in leaps & bounds, which could leave us languishing towards the bottom of the ladder.
I’m not sure we’ve seen KB at her best in the yellow and black.
I might’ve been a little hard on her in my post but I’m sure she is still the most complete footballer in our team (until Ellie starts to hit top gear)

She may have been a bit embarrassed…
She is a Champ, I doubt we’ll see another game like that

Sheerin won't be back until Rd 3-4, from what Ferg said

i hope you're right about winning our share of games but will it be enough to play finals?
after this Rd, the top 4-5 teams are still out there but you can add Freo, Saints, Hawks and Swans who look better than us
the only games left that we have a good shot at are GWS, Blues, Port, Pies and Dons
we have to win all of them and win a couple against sides that look better

Sheerin won't be back until Rd 3-4, from what Ferg said

i hope you're right about winning our share of games but will it be enough to play finals?
after this Rd, the top 4-5 teams are still out there but you can add Freo, Saints, Hawks and Swans who look better than us
the only games left that we have a good shot at are GWS, Blues, Port, Pies and Dons
we have to win all of them and win a couple against sides that look better
Well I’ll revise that if sheerin only plays like half a season , we ll be battling

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Rd 1 West Coast vs Richmond, 30/08 9:15 Vic Time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back