Autopsy Rd 10 v Saints. Not good enough when it counted.

Which players do you think had a good game in Round 10 vs the Saints?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

i have OME question. Seriously. Please someone answer me:

WHY DOESNT DOW EVER EVER CHASE?????????????

I wanted LDU but North are mismanaging him too.

Yeah...today really was a 'no excuses' game. More than any other.

We were older and more experienced than the Saints team today.
They were missing more of their best 22 than us.
We had a rev up week after being smashed by GWS.

And still lost in pretty poor fashion.

We had more talent but they looked more structured and disciplined - which is an indictment on the coaches.
We have always been their bitches.

How’d Kennedy go today?

Rusty and average. Really didn't do enough of anything but wasn't bad enough that he's an easy out next week. Didn't butcher the ball (2 clangers out of 16 disposals) like many of his teammates but didn't really hurt the opposition with what he had.

I hope they give him another opportunity. He'll either hang himself or earn his selection.

How’d Kennedy go today?

I thought okay for first game back. 16 disposals at 81% efficiency in a 50% contested game, 3 clearances. Maybe working his way back into the tempo considering it is his first game at the level for the year.

They obviously know more than other recruiters who rated Dow highly as well. Why aren't they working in the industry? What is their record like with the rest of the drafts? Any phantoms and analysis you can link us to?

Given someone at the club wasted a first round pick on Blaine Boekhorst that says it all to me about instantly thinking recruiters are somehow smarter than anyone else out there in football land.

That woeful pick was made by someone who had a job in the industry.

A stopped clock is right two times a day.

Which sums up our recruitment success strangely enough.

See, even those looking for excuses and trying to stay the course are hurting badly. I don't understand why posters think they need to heap on the pain for the sake of a rant. Make yourself feel better and make everybody else feel worse.

These things are opinions and that's all you have offered. Stop being so definitive with your calls. Leaves no room for discussion.

Every year the club makes definitive calls. I don't see why fans shouldn't be able to make them.

Maybe the angrier the fans get the better. Nothing is going to change if no pressure is put on those not getting the job done.

If you pile a heap of money into a car and when you see it next it's still running like crap you'll get angry and make demands. So too will football fans.

Dumb. The endeavour is there. Hell, even the effort was there today.
Alas; we are just simply dumb.

Example A; Two mins to go. Down by two goals. Kreuzer and McKay in the middle expecting the big bold corridor kick. Nope, Plowman ever so predictably of our ridiculous gameplan, chips it to the pocket.

If I had the patience to watch the replay you could pick a thousand others.

It’s starting to hurt this and the pressure valve is at boiling point.

The fumbles, the indecisions, the lack of confidence. The skill level of these top end draft picks...
Where is the spread, the work rate to ensure we get the loose man on the wing (like every fckg club seems to do to us!)

The development of our players is a concern. The way we structure up is a concern. The cohesion between our mids to forwards is a shambles. The overall forward set up is a mess. It has been for a very long time.

The slow, predictable and painful way we move the ball in from a kick in. Chip to pocket. Chip across ground. Long kick to a one on one. Boundary throw in in the black flank.

Bolton, in my view, is a wonderful teacher and mentor but he’s getting brutalised on game day. Do we need another Neil Craig or do we need to find an alternative coach(es)?

I am firmly in Bolton’s corner but geez I wish our players played for their coach the way you see Collingwood & Richmond do.

So hard to stay positive at the moment.

You have just highlighted 2/3 of our game plan, which is deployed and fails week in - week out, yet you are in his corner? I like everything he has done with our group, he is a great teacher, good with the media, good at staying positive and getting the players up, except that he crucifies us every game day, with the same rubbish coaching.

Dow must be the most sidesteppable (not a real word) player in the AFL. He starts running in a straight line, and if any aspect of the play deviates from his original trajectory, he is absolutely out of the contest and unable to recover.

It's not an ideal trait when the ball is an oval shape.
I think a lot of our players suffer from this malady to be fair. Agility/use of centre of gravity seems off.

Dow does have a decent step with ball in hand though.

I keep reading post after post but the fact is, we are like gws after 2 or 3 years, heaps of talent, not developed yet, and not enough senior bodies. It seems like silvagni has tried to create a list in gws's image without as many draft concessions. Time will tell if it works in the ensure, but not looking too flash atm.This mess we have atm in 20 years in the making and it's going to take another 5 to play out unfortunately, they are just the facts.

There was a moment where Cripps day on the bench and he and Docherty seemed to be in discussion when Cripps gestured his hand towards our defensive side of the ground and said something in an almost exasperated manner.

The last 2 weeks with cripps is really starting to worry me in regards to his frustrations.
After the game today we didn’t see the frustrated because we got close but still lost Cripps, yet was basically a smile, the kind of smile one makes when he has internally accepted losing.

We are dangerously close to breaking Cripps like we have broken so many players before him, slowly but surely we are sapping his drive out of him with losing every week, like we didn’t to Murphy years and years ago when we had the same losers culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Summed up my main thoughts. Did not care about any talk in week. All I care about at moment is what we do on field. There was effort but as a team just poor decision making and too many talls in 22 to have enough numbers to ball at times meant Saints got plenty of turn over opportunities and was the difference in the end. I've had more than enough of seeing a team too tall out there, week after week. One win from Ten games should show the coaching staff it is not the way to go. Also have an issue with what it seems Dow needed to be released to VFL to just get back some form and more fitness base but for some reason they did not do that and for mine it shows on field he is making poor decisions and lacking tackles at right moments. Give the kid a break and let him find his own game again in VFL. Next week Lang needs to come in for him and at least one tall like Mcgovern or Casboult out of 22 also. As for rest , just got to play better team football in coming weeks.

Deck chairs!

Given someone at the club wasted a first round pick on Blaine Boekhorst that says it all to me about instantly thinking recruiters are somehow smarter than anyone else out there in football land.

That woeful pick was made by someone who had a job in the industry.

Lots of shit calls have been made by recruiters. Lots more have been made by supporters, grass roots footy players and their Dads too, but you don't get to hear about those, and they can also improve their ledger in hindsight.

Every year the club makes definitive calls. I don't see why fans shouldn't be able to make them.

Because fans are speculating, the club have a mandate to make those calls. Speculate on here as though it is gospel and it turns discussions to shit. Some acknowledgement that it is your opinion, not a cold hard fact would be helpful.

I thought okay for first game back. 16 disposals at 81% efficiency in a 50% contested game, 3 clearances. Maybe working his way back into the tempo considering it is his first game at the level for the year.

Started like a bomb in the middle, probably got half those touches inside the first 20 minutes.

Then......didn’t see him in the middle again.

Getting stuck into Dow or SPS or anyone else isnt going to achieve a thing. The guys can play. All of them out there today can play. But they arent playing well.
Why is the thing that needs figuring out.
In my opinion that is the only real thing a coach controls. Getting them in form and most of that is mental.
And not playing them when they arent in form.
Basic stuff forever.

Wanted to take a few hours to digest that performance and also use the forum as a cheap form of much needed therapy:

Concerns:

• The coach. You can check my posting history, I’m a big fan but I’m increasingly concerns and based on recent performances questioning whether he is the right man. The structure and game plan is a mess, as soon as we turn over the ball we get opened up and concede.
There was also a number of times where despite having 3 tall forwards, the only option in the forward line is a JSOS who is outnumbered against 3, worrying.

• Development especially of the midfield.
  • Did we cut too deep? I’m concerned we’re heading towards a Melbourne situation where we moved on too many of the older players too quickly and the kids aren’t ready to step up.
  • Based on current performances, are we risking the rebuild? I’m concerned we might start to see some of our young talent requesting a trade. Obviously losing a Cripps would be soul destroying, but I also wouldn’t want to lose a McKay or a Weitering because they’ve had 4 years of being smashed on a regular basis.
  • Have concerns about some of the second efforts of SPS and his development – has regressed since the WB game.
  • I’m hoping McGovern is still rusty because he is not doing enough at the moment to justify anything near what we paid for him.
  • The trade with Adelaide. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but on the balance it was probably too risky/a year too soon.
  • A number of the players haven't progressed as we'd like and it's unacceptable to have a 1st year player like Walsh trying to drag the players across the line.
  • Too reliant on the old guard. Simpson, Kruezer and Thomas are very important at the moment and we don't have any real talent ready to take their place.

Considerations:
  • Obviously the coach is one. I’d only want the club to do it if they’re certain Bolt’s isn’t the right man for the job.
  • If Bolt’s is the man, then we need to get a serious senior coaching talent like St Kilda did with Ratten. Robert Walls is absolutely not that.
  • If Bolton is the coach, we need to inject more flair into the game plan and change our defensive zone. It is clear the players don’t have the skills to execute the game plan
  • Senior Players. Perhaps we look at a few top-up players ala Gold Coast this year. From an off field and on-field perspective, we desperately need to be competitive. While this might deviate from the ‘pure’ rebuilt model, the kids must be getting deflated being 1-9 and the supporters are sick of losing. Next year can’t bee the same as this.

What not to do:
I’ve heard whispers Tom Elliott and his band are agitating behind the scenes and preparing a challenge against the board. I’m not a huge fan of our president, but the Elliott’s must be kept as far away from this club as possible.

Knee-jerk removing Bolton without a better option lined up AND taken learnings about what went wrong with the Bolton years.

/End Rant.

Can’t we just be good again? :(

There was a moment where Cripps day on the bench and he and Docherty seemed to be in discussion when Cripps gestured his hand towards our defensive side of the ground and said something in an almost exasperated manner.

The last 2 weeks with cripps is really starting to worry me in regards to his frustrations.
After the game today we didn’t see the frustrated because we got close but still lost Cripps, yet was basically a smile, the kind of smile one makes when he has internally accepted losing.

We are dangerously close to breaking Cripps like we have broken so many players before him, slowly but surely we are sapping his drive out of him with losing every week, like we didn’t to Murphy years and years ago when we had the same losers culture.

yes saw that also....hes looking deflated,poor guy.

Summed up my main thoughts. Did not care about any talk in week. All I care about at moment is what we do on field. There was effort but as a team just poor decision making and too many talls in 22 to have enough numbers
Here< I will help you out

Under 50 games = Us 11 Saints 9

23 - 27 year old age bracket = Us 5 Saints 16

Let that sink in
Yep and who's choice is this ?
Also add Obrien and Macreadie went out of the side today...

If/when Cripps stops caring, we are even more ****ed.

Wouldn't mind just ending the season now and coming back next year, hopefully with Docherty there to ease some of his pain.

Started like a bomb in the middle, probably got half those touches inside the first 20 minutes.

Then......didn’t see him in the middle again.

It would be interesting to see how many centre bounces he attended. Really should be in there 80% of the time instead of Dow, SPS and Fisher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 10 v Saints. Not good enough when it counted.

Back