Autopsy Rd 12 Carlton vs Brisbane - Blues suffer winning faTeague

Who played well for the Blues in Round 12 vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He's probably my favourite commentator.

I think he's actually quite complimentary of us...a few cheeky jabs at us but all in good fun.
I think in a way he really does want us to be better to get the Collingwood v Carlton rivalry roaring again.

He definitely has a soft spot for the big VIC teams and doesn't like the interstate teams much.

He's also just a good caller who is good at sounding excited that gets me excited.
Had to counter the two Bris boys in the box. Which by the way should be illegal in commentary circles. As it clearly isn't, can we have two ex Carlton boys in the box against the Bulldogs. Dont know who theyd be though.

A few indicators like marks almost double last week uncontested possessions were up so imo we played differently possibly running to create more rather than running to defend space if we can just tidy up our foot skills .

Despite fade outs visually and on the scoreboard i think our GPS numbers have always been pretty solid.

Just how we make use of our running a key difference.

Also stated above that we got the midfield mix better with less fit guys like Setterfield, Dow etc spending less time in the guts since they can't run both ways all game.

Walked out & couldn't watch it 10 mins into 2nd quarter, 37 pts down, said to my missus can't watch this crap, mistakes and turnovers were just getting the better of me. Couldn't watch it, thought it would be a 12 goal thrashing. 10 minutes later missus says come back in, they've kick 3 and back in it. Glad I came back to see Crippa dominate and all the boys followed him with season best games. Hope they continue play this way they are to play for the rest of the season and we could win 4 or 5 more games.

neale was best on ground in the first half. teague sends curnow and second half we obliterate them in the midfield.

that's a move that bolton simply refused to make and wouldn't have made today.
I said during the week Ed should go onto Neale. Not sure why they didn’t have Ed on him from the start.

Walked out & couldn't watch it 10 mins into 2nd quarter, 37 pts down, said to my missus can't watch this crap, mistakes and turnovers were just getting the better of me. Couldn't watch it, thought it would be a 12 goal thrashing. 10 minutes later missus says come back in, they've kick 3 and back in it. Glad I came back to see Crippa dominate and all the boys followed him with season best games. Hope they continue play this way they are to play for the rest of the season and we could win 4 or 5 more games.
Half time had me weeding furiously in the back yard (and no "weeding" is not a euphemism)

The play right before Walsh won a free kick late in the game... Multiple players were going for the ball, and he effortlessly trapped the ball in one hand (like he had a magnetic glove).

He doesn't LOOK like he does special stuff (in the way say Charlie takes spectacular marks or fisher weaves out of traffic)... But he's special all right.

He does all the standard stuff. And then the little things, then the 1%ers. Then the little 0.01%ers. And they all add up.
And the 0.001's you just don't see em

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got in from the match.
Got this to say

We are the navy blues
We are the old dark navy blues
We're the team that never lets you down
We're the only team old Carlton knows
With all the champions
They like to send us
We'll keep our end up
And they will know that they've been playing
Against the famous old dark blues
Sung the song on the train on the way home with strangers - bound by blue

On SM-T580 using BigFooty.com mobile app

know that the adrenalin has worn off, ive come to realise that we are heavily reliant on crippa (understatement). He had a monster game, 4 goals and a **** load of ball/tackles. Still needs help from the others.
As much as I loved Cripps game I didn't see it that way at all. We had many good players and all tried like mad and got better the more they ran for each other.
No way in the world was it a one man effort.

Last edited:
Walsh was a matchwinner. One of them. There were many times when he did the one thing that only he could see and it was the right thing.

As much as I loved Cripps game I didn't see it that way at all. We had many good players and all tried like mad and got better the more thay ran for each other.
No way in the world was it a one man effort.
Agree with this. Cripps was able to have such a monster game because many others stepped up. We want this. Doesn’t equal reliance in this situation.

I think the coach had a significant input into the win today by supporting Cripps at stoppages something that has been called for by some posters for oh I don't know - at least all year and half now...

1. Ed to center bounces tagging Neil and getting his own ball thank you very much - no brainer. Only 'stubbornness' on Bolton's part can explain the inexplicable regarding this simple move - this also allowed Kreuzer to clearly win the ruck duel as well - since Cripps and Ed offered more solidity around teh contests - pulling Cripps out to FF in first quarter was an interesting move - messing with tag ideas that every team has decided is teh way to go - and also puting faith in other mids to manage- which they did

2. Maintaining a forward structure also helped - although it didn't look like it in the first quarter - paid dividends as the game progressed - there were often multiple potential targets- too often ignored but that will improve I'm sure - polish in this area will see ( dare I sauy it) much easier scoring and wins to happen...

3. Playing through the center of the ground when opportunity arose - was a marked change - something only seen in JLT matches previously - Teague clearly allowed greater player discretion here and the effort was able to be accomplished because Gibbons and Walsh were prominent in a lot of midfield movement as was Fisher and Dow in second half...

Intangible Positives on the day...

1. Cripps had one of those games - even 2/3rds the quality of that game played would have merited 3 points Cripps
2. Fisher/Dow/SPS/Charlie/Setterfield looked very ordinary till half way through second quarter - they all improved from there and i though Fisher was the pick of the bunch from half way through 3rd till end of the game - so in game improvement was something I have been looking for and today it happened
3. Levi Casboult becoming a genuine AFL standard defender is an enormous win
4. Team decided to actually stick tackles today and continue making them all the game- something which led to contested ball domination in 3rd quarter

Stuff that can and should be fixed

No use having players make it to correct positions - get a beautiful kick / mark it and then they miss 30 meter regulation shots- signs of mental weakness very prevalent in too many high draft picks at Carlton...

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 12 Carlton vs Brisbane - Blues suffer winning faTeague

Back