Autopsy Rd 12 Lacklustre Blues Break Our Hearts Again

Who played well for the Blues in Round 12 vs the Eagles?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I see petraca deep in Melbourne's defence helping out, I see libba and mccrae deep in bulldogs defence, I see boak and wines with Port Adelaide, when the ball goes in our defence all I ever see is out backman with no help.

More than half the time Jones isn't on his man or falls over or fumbles when he does make a contest, I can't remember apart from Walshy taking Mark of the Year against Port Adelaide last year the last time I seen a mid helping out our backline.

We've gone into this soft recruiting phase! signing or investing in players who are Carlton supporters? and have lost the notions of recruiting tough players, our team are players who would prefer to smell the roses rather than drawing a line the sand, that was evident when Yeo started to man handle Walshie. We have no player on our list that any opposition respects nor fear, and I don't mean in playing sense (simmo), players like Joel Selwood or Michael voss, Byron Pickett.
Plain and simple. and this would apply to coaching someone with presents and not allowing players to dictate how a club is run on and off the field.

I'm a glutton for punishment, just watched the first quarter again.
At one stage, the scores were 3.6.24 - 4.0.24. 9 shots to 4 and we're level!!
Their 4 goals all as a result of leading in to space inside their attacking 50. This should not still be happening, especially on the smaller SCG. But alas, it is still happenong, every week.
3 of our 6 behinds were from set shots. Setters set shot from 45m out did not even make the distance and was punched through. Laid back on the kick and kicked it nonchalantly, like he was at training.
Can't watch any more of the replay. Even though i know what happens, the tv is in danger of getting a remote control thrown at it.

Dont bet on Murphy being dropped next week, there was nothing to suggest he should have come back in this week, but I think Teague is so soft that he either felt sorry for, or felt embarrassed from Murphy's comments, re: loyal servant of the club.

I’m hoping he got given a kick up the arse, didn’t respond so go back to the VFL and earn it.

I see petraca deep in Melbourne's defence helping out, I see libba and mccrae deep in bulldogs defence, I see boak and wines with Port Adelaide, when the ball goes in our defence all I ever see is out backman with no help.

More than half the time Jones isn't on his man or falls over or fumbles when he does make a contest, I can't remember apart from Walshy taking Mark of the Year against Port Adelaide last year the last time I seen a mid helping out our backline.
Sps' one game on the wing. Brilliant d50 pack Mark.

SPS in the last quarter against *fc ;)

You obviously have not read as much of my work on here as I have of yours. No damage done. I was quite outspoken re Worsfold when they came out with the announcement, thought it was a stupid idea then, have no reason to think anything different now but happy for someone to change my view.
Totally agree.

Yes Teague is....and the buck stops there as they say

But that doesnt answer why we have been that way for 20 odd years.
No Mongrel basically.
Succesive coaches unable to instill any hardness at all.

Whether it's a lack of development or just plain old recruiting the wrong types ( and I think it has a lot to do with the type of player we recruit) we haven't produced any leaders at the club since the 90's, that took us into the mid 00's. Since then we haven't had a group of genuine onfield leaders at the club.

The players we are bringing in from other clubs have no leadership qualities either.

Walsh has those qualities in that department it appears but while that's good for the future, somewhere down the track, as of today we have no competent experienced leaders.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how he is...might be waiting for a scan or scan results. Ignore the unwarranted attack.
Do some research.
Check the posters history of trolling Carlton at every opportunity on the main boards.
Rivals Fadge with the continual negative bullshit.
I'm sorry, on the main board that's fine (Although I believe continual negative posting should be pulled up more often)
It's faux olive branch posting at its finest. Dickheads like this have the rest of the forum to pollute, don't need them here.
Shouldn't cut it.

You get on here every week after a loss and have a go at people for being emotional about their footy club losing, a pretty normal human response.

You rarely post more than six words and never contribute anything original, just judge people.

Why you think you have the right to judge anyone who posts in beyond me. You’re the entitled one on here, you seem to think because you’ve made 100k posts you can dictate how people are allowed to feel/ post. Arrogance of the highest order.

The Ignore button is you're friend here cobber,
did it last year. blocks out the crap that's posted. adds nothing as you say.

I'm a glutton for punishment, just watched the first quarter again.
At one stage, the scores were 3.6.24 - 4.0.24. 9 shots to 4 and we're level!!
Their 4 goals all as a result of leading in to space inside their attacking 50. This should not still be happening, especially on the smaller SCG. But alas, it is still happenong, every week.
3 of our 6 behinds were from set shots. Setters set shot from 45m out did not even make the distance and was punched through. Laid back on the kick and kicked it nonchalantly, like he was at training.
Can't watch any more of the replay. Even though i know what happens, the tv is in danger of getting a remote control thrown at it.

This has been happening all year, we don't hurt our opposition enough on the scoreboard when we are in the ascendancy. Once the inevitable shift comes we haven't a buffer to be able to withstand it. It's very frustrating.

Do some research.
Check the posters history of trolling Carlton at every opportunity on the main boards.
Rivals Fadge with the continual negative bullshit.
I'm sorry, on the main board that's fine (Although I believe continual negative posting should be pulled up more often)
It's faux olive branch posting at its finest. Dickheads like this have the rest of the forum to pollute, don't need them here.
Shouldn't cut it.
Have no idea about his history OWWK.
Was surprised at your post I'll admit. That explains it. Ta.
Taking the post on it's merit ...seemed like a genuine enquiry. :thumbsu:

Sps' one game on the wing. Brilliant d50 pack Mark.
Yes, I understand. My point is I pointed out one example and you also pointed out one example,but the players from the other clubs I pointed out get multiple possessions per game in the backline, and are down there helping out for lengthy periods of time during the game.

I feel like, with our structure and game plan the couple of times that we have pointed out that Walshy and sps have been in the backline they were down there by accident after getting lost due to not knowing where to go.

I was supporting you..I agree with everything and more that you said.
Sorry, all good. I was just frustrated that three replies all said something about me not mentioning the coaching.
I didn't mention it because, well, I didn't mention it. It felt like the suggestion was that a lack of a mention on my part meant the presence of support.

Echo my position and thoughts beautifully, mate. Almost four year old, similar story. Except I only jumped on in 2007 so I've only ever know mediocrity and false hope.

That was hit with a sledgehammer last night.

Similar: I grew up in Brisvegas and jumped on after I moved down here.
Sad that the only season highlights I've ever had have been watching the some great individual play, or with the excitement of "who's the gun we'll get with pick 1??"

Now Carlton is a verb (and even Cripps looks like he's been Carltoned) and there's no Good Old Days to console myself with.
I don't even like watching us play any more. I watch, but pretty much hate every minute of it. I prefer watching other games, so I can see what good footy looks like without the pain of watching it used again us.

I will start my rant with this: I support the Carlton Football club, however, I do not support those who are running the club.

We have blokes like Jack Martin earning big coin running around playing bruise free football. At this point in time the bloke would not be getting a game at NME with the current form he is in. DROP!

We have another bloke running around earning big coin in Zac Williams, who is too overweight and unfit to be going in the midfield so we have to throw him at half back. Another one who is unwilling to put the hard yards in but willing to take the paycheck every week. Had anyone else heard of this Jermaine Jones bloke before yesterday? Bloke came on and gave Williams and absolute bath. I hope he realizes it ain't going to be that easy every week.

Murphy, not AFL standard. Seeya later.

We are playing Liam Stocker, a bloke who was recruited off his brilliance in the midfielder, in the backline. To make matters even worse we are played him on Liam Ryan who was tearing him a new one. Not his fault, he can only do so much. Where are all the Plowman haters now?

Didn't mind the Dow selection, but he isn't AFL standard. He is actually petrified to go in any contested situation. I am not an old school supporter who thinks we need 22 blokes on the field all hard as nails but when your not willing to go into any contested situations for fear of being hurt, your signing your own papers.

Is that new ruckman we recruited in the mid-season draft ready yet? Pittonet surely isn't best available.

I actually switched off in the 3rd qtr, I couldn't keep watching the absolute crap we were dishing up. It's another year wasted. Start getting people into the club that aren't going to accept mediocrity that has been dished up by some blokes taking the field.

I know you're probably just fishing for a reaction here, and as Blue Healer said, how would any of us know?

BUT, I got the impression when SOS said upon exiting that 2021 is a very important year for the club, that he thinks something is not right with the coaching. He obviously believed we underachieved last year.

Realistically, we have 2 scenarios for where we currently are:
1) SOS has stuffed his draft picks apart from the talls, and we lack the talent to take us anywhere soon. Rebuild has essentially failed to this point.
2) SOS (and Austin) have drafted well enough for us to be playing significantly better, but the coaching is not up to it.

Which is it? SOS clearly believes it is not number 1. Of course he has a vested interest in thinking like that, but he also has access to a lot of inside info. enabling an informed opinion.

If 1) is correct then we have more years of pain ahead. We can't know for certain that 2) is the reason, but there is only one way to find out.

Regardless of game plan, yesterday was a soul-less display. Weakened opponent, chance to go into the bye with a genuine belief that finals were still a chance, but where was the intensity? Too many players "cruised" in that game. sh*t tackle count. The players just didn't want that as much as most of us do. Sadly, some of the ones that did are just bumbling liabilities in a skill sense.

I don't want to see another coach gone for the sake of it, but there is every chance we just got this one wrong from the start, like Richmond did when Gieschen was appointed off a honeymoon caretaker period.

IMO it is #2 - Our coaching/development is poor (with injuries also being a contributing factor). We just don't have enough mature bodies performing at their peak and there is very little progression of our younger players. We've seen what SPS/Dow/Obrien etc has been capable of on occasion but realistically they don't seem to have progressed at all since their first couple of years at the club. Docherty is inconsistent post-knees, Curnow hasn't played for 2 years, Cuningham/JSOS/Marchbank have shown good signs but keep having injury interruptions. Of the players that should be at their physical peaks now, Cripps is a shadow of his former self, McGovern cant get a consistent run at it (and has been poor).

Most importantly though, we still have no recognisable/consistent game style or brand of football. Effort/fitness is also sub-standard. Imo what we've been doing clearly hasn't worked and we should seriously consider taking a hit on performance and undertake a mini rebuild/reset with a particular focus on the midfield (this would involve see what we could get for Cripps)

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 12 Lacklustre Blues Break Our Hearts Again

Back