Autopsy Rd 16 Blues last quarter comeback ends in heartbreak

Who played well for the Blues against the Dees in Round 16?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Really disappointing effort today, we played horrible for 3 quarters. Had one decent quarter which was helped by Melbourne having a number of injuries. Didn’t deserve to win that, but in the end they should of won that.

Jones played a terrible game, plays too far off his opponent and cost us a lot of goals. Newman and Plowman’s disposal is woeful, Carlton are their own worst enemies. 3 minutes left and they stop attacking, if they kicked one more goal they win that game.

Hopefully McKay is back next week, McGovern is either playing injured or seriously out of form.

Credit to Silvagni and Casboult, have turned it around.

You can’t keep giving teams 5 goal plus leads and expect to come back and win. They really need to improve their first halves. While I’m disappointed we didn’t win we didn’t deserve that game and it would of been highway robbery.

Don’t blame the umpires, we are our own worst enemies. No excuses for poor disposal, poor decision making and not playing accountable football. Those are the areas we need to clean up if we are going to win more games of football.

Today raises questions about Teague's ability to do more than coach a forwardline. He is not a great midfield coach and has demonstrated no aptitude to get the team switched on from the first bounce

Not being able to win the ball cant be down to Teague. I thought the effort was there we were just outgunned early. They have damn good inside mids.

12 of Melbourne's goals were from either free kicks or plays beginning with free kicks.

Carlton has it in our forward line. Umpire pays advantage, nothing there - Melbourne get the ball. Results in a Melbourne goal.

Nathan Jones plays on CLEARLY, turns it over. Umpire called advantage and then brings it back. Result is a Melbourne goal.

Absolute ******* farce.

If the umpires are even remotely legitimate we win today by 8-10 goals.

Worse than the Pies game and Leigh Fisher's antics in our game against the Saints by the length of the Flemington straight.

The umpires have a lot to answer for. Not just today because they’re a ****ing joke every single week!! They actually make me feel like not going to the footy.

We seriously need to be asking questions of the umpiring department. Enough is enough!!

To our boys, great fight back but seriously, PLAY FOUR QUARTERS OF FOOTY!!! FFS!

As with the gold coast game I am glad we didn't pinch it.

While the fightback should be praised the rest of the game was inexcusable...

It really does look like we are in a daze sometimes, quite bizzare.

And the boundary line play along with corralling killllllls me.

JSOS monstered it, and after some really soft efforts from setters he worked he way back into it forward.

Setterfield should have taken the mark in the first place.

Don't blame the umps

But seriously our horrendous skills are the reason we lost. Disposal efficiency must be close to a world record low.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
This. We all but handed the ball back to Melbourne in the first qtr

SOME OF THE MOST CORRUPT UMPIRING I HAVE EVER SEEN.

The AFL has got to suspend number 29. I want his head.
I know for a fact he drives an expensive car...... coincidence?

Last edited:
We are all starved for success, I can understand that. Just really respect the positives and work on the negatives.

Big positive is Jack, looks like he knows that he belongs out there now. Classy and smart.

Levi is a genuine all rounder now. Can play forward back and ruck. I would imagine that a team in contention would be interested.

Murph strong second half. Our best ball user.

Setters and Bam Bam. Contributed up forward. Setters disappointed early but nearly became the match winner.

Walsh - Not his finest but willed himself back into the game.

Kreuze = As always tried his guts out

There will be plenty of posters who will tell us who was bad so I will leave it to them.

Just a couple of other thoughts.

Jones needs to calibrate himself and his attacking belief based on the quality of his opponent.

Our transition game is doomed without an elite kick or decision maker back there. Sadly Simmo is neither any more and Newman or the Plow are ever likely to be. Clearly Doc, Willo or maybe Schumaker could help uf there. Might be worth trying to invent one in the short term. If Caleb Daniel can do it maybe Fish??

I asked for grit and we almost stole it, after the high of last weekend and the dees last year, I’m cool with that.
We were terrible all game bar 10 mins, kicked 100 points and almost stole it.
Let’s beat an improved Sydney and Teague might almost be “our man”.
Go baggers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, umps created momentum swings against us 3 times in the third quarter with absolutely horrible decisions.

The Petracca HTM

The McDonald "push" from Jones

This.

For everyone saying we only played 1 quarter.

We were good after half time. Those 3 horrific goals from the umps in the 3rd quarter kept them in it.

That performance is as bad as a 100 point lost and reflects our culture accepts mediocrity. We did not turn up for 3 qtrs and relied on a weak opposition to incur 3 injuries and miss vital goals to get us back in it. Most of the young players could not find the ball. At the death when we were 1 point up our game awareness was so poor, we held the game up instead of take it on.

Silvagni was exceptional today
Your little story about culture was way of the mark, it didn't cost us this win.

The umpires have a lot to answer for. Not just today because they’re a ******* joke every single week!! They actually make me feel like not going to the footy.

We seriously need to be asking questions of the umpiring department. Enough is enough!!

To our boys, great fight back but seriously, PLAY FOUR QUARTERS OF FOOTY!!! FFS!
And another one.

Gutted. We almost won a game we had no right to win. Not sure what to make of this game

I’m sure the media’s narrative will be about how we’re much more competitive, kicked 100 points blah blah blah.

I’m disappointed. You can’t decide to play with that sort of urgency & intensity we saw in the last qtr and leave it the locker room for the first three quarters. Our pressure on Melbourne in the first half was inexcusable. They dominated ball movement, ran & spread far too easily.

Melb had only 1 player left on bench for that last qtr. Agree with some others here. We were flattered.

Setterfield should have taken the mark in the first place.

Don't blame the umps

But seriously our horrendous skills are the reason we lost. Disposal efficiency must be close to a world record low.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
No one is saying we didn’t play poorly for 3 quarters. But **** me there was some very poor umpiring today.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Well that last qtr was brilliant. The other 3 totally shithouse.

Could have held on but for a fumble (from Newman I think) that then put Simpson under pressure and he made that dumb kick. He was filthy on the kick but more filthy on newman and the fumble.

Would have been an awesome win but could have also covered some ordinary performances out there.

3 goals from settrrs, sos and Kennedy were good contributions. Some things are working in their form but we missed McKay and Charlie enormously.

We were lucky Melbourne were just as bad with their kicking to be in striking distance at the last break.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 16 Blues last quarter comeback ends in heartbreak

Back