News RD 17:- Blues v Pies prematch discussion & changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of you have no clue when you call for bentley to be dropped. he's there cos he's the big bodied centreman that we have lacked all season. sure his skills and decision making can be suspect at times, but he makes it easier for the likes of Juddy, Murph and others to extract the ball. if we drop him, who else will come in and do the job that the MC have given him(cos it's certainly not to damage the other team by foot or hand)?

only realistic ins i can see are jamo and setant depending on injuries, and walker on his shoulder and form for the ants. harts' fate has been sealed for this season, depending on injury to any of our tall backmen.

Ins: Jamo, Setant, Walks
Outs: Hartlett and two more.

Not sure who else I'd drop(dont go saying Hoops/Russell/Fisher, all three deserve to stay) But I like having this problem, depends on matchups and structure. Maybe Setant for Anderson? Who'd come in for Walks if he deserved a shot?

In Summary, all our changes should be like for like. When we find a gameplan(which i hope we have/will do soon), we cant be bringing in a tall for an outside midfielder for example)

Walker had a good game in the reserves today, Stevens another shocker got dragged. But Walker wont be coming into the seniors for the Pies game. Because it's only a 5 day turn around, good thing is that he is very fit, so one more week in the reserves and sweet Walkers will be back.

Blues4flag I don't want him in the team, he has done nothing for 2 years now. A selfish, lazy, insipid player, good riddance, I have said a few times I would rather kids that give 110% for the team, over a so called leader who gives 40%.

Cloke and Austin seemed to put their hands up.
Shame about Army
NO NO NO to Stevo. Teague is full of it. If Stevo cannot shake a VFL tag he should not play AFL

our Garlett played right through to the end... maybe norths garlett was injured?
yeah i read he got injured, but acually kicked the winning goal in the end.
a few players did well in reserves, will be interesting to see who comes in.

yeah i read he got injured, but acually kicked the winning goal in the end.
a few players did well in reserves, will be interesting to see who comes in.
Ants reserves got flogged but I assume you mean the Ants snr team

In: Jamison, Austin
Out: Hartlett, Bentley

Bower - Cloke
Jamison - Anthony
Austin - Medhurst
Thornton - Didak
Joseph - Davis
Anderson on Thomas or any other rotating small.

Personally I think we're in need of another defender to keep the Collingwood forward line in check, hence Austins inclusion over Bentley who I believe has offered very little in his games at senior level.

Would really love to see Walker and Robinson tear it up in the 2's next week and force their way into the team for the game against North. Would give us a fair bit of grunt, x factor and confidence to take the game on and run run run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Jamison, Austin
Out: Hartlett, Bentley

Bower - Cloke
Jamison - Anthony
Austin - Medhurst
Thornton - Didak
Joseph - Davis
Anderson on Thomas or any other rotating small.

Personally I think we're in need of another defender to keep the Collingwood forward line in check, hence Austins inclusion over Bentley who I believe has offered very little in his games at senior level.
BD like your thinking again

IN: Setanta, Jamison
OUT: Bentley, Hartlett

Will Jamison definitely pull up? Still haven't heard why he was omitted yesterday. Still think we need that extra option down forward (i.e. setanta) to really stretch the collingwood defence. After the ruck tap is done i wouldn't mind seeing a forward line of:
FF: Kreuzer Fevola Hampson
HF: Yarran Setanta Betts
Only issue is who will do the rucking around the grounds, even though collingwood's ruck stock is useless.

Thoughts???

Rejoicing in broken limbs is so very Carlton-like.

Bless.
I think he meant good news for our chances. Shame if Presti is no good. Would rather beat a full strength team if we are dinkum about finals anyway. Presti has been very good - maybe AA

I was happy that Ratten used Hartlett in the ruck rotations in the 2nd half ,which enabled Kreuzer to spend more time forward.

WE could go with the same rotation this week except bring in Cloke or Setanta in the ruck rotation rather than Hartlett.

Setanta & Cloke can also play forward & ruck.

Pies rucks are very average.

I'll go Cloke, if Setanta comes back he has to beat Fisher for a spot.

Ins:Cloke,Jamison ( if fit )

Outs: Hartlett,Anderson ( unlucky )

I'll concede Jamison should replace Hartlett and this is no means an apology but some perspective:

1. His direct opponent only conceded 2 goals, which in the overall scheme of things...
  2. Jesse White is going to be a very good forward for Sydney post Hall.
  3. The delivery into their forward 50 during the first quarter and a half was exceptional. Where was the accountability of the players up the ground to allow so many lace-out passes to White?
  4. Harts gave Hampson a rest allowing Kreuzer to spend time forward. So, ahead of Cloke.
  5. When Harts was getting towelled up, Bower and Thornton weren't moved on to him earlier. If Ratten was really concerned, he'd have made the switch. Ratts still has a smidgen of faith in the lad.
  6. Jamison has how many games of experience? Throw young Austin to the wolves like that and he wouldn't have done too much better I suspect.
So, Harts isn't ready for full back but Ratts at least gave him the opportunity. Bower and Thornton should have started on him but Ratten wanted to see what he was made of. Most of you have made up your mind long ago but despite him being towelled up, head in the sand perhaps, I think he still has potential. Time may have run out but certainly there's a handful I'd delist before him currently playing for the Bullants - this is not to say I'd pick him every week but in times of injury crisis he, ironically, could still add value.

Now on to Bentley... Many of the 'selectors' here want Austin or Setanta to replace him. Well for starters, he's a midfielder and they're key position players. Second, he actually played well this week. He was hard at the contest in the third quarter when the game had to be won. Perhaps he doesn't have pace but that's not what's required against Sydney. We're developing depth here and given his youth is now ahead of Stevens, Hadley and Bentick.

Hadley's disposal is better, yes, but he never seems to string enough games together. He's been injury plagued the whole of his career. :(

I'm just trying to see the positive in all our squad - Bentley has been maligned since he got here. Saturday was his best game and when starting to find his feet I don't think he deserves to be dropped for that performance. Provided he shows that same level of consistency, he at least deserves a second year on the rookie list. Unless his form drops away I'd leave him in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

News RD 17:- Blues v Pies prematch discussion & changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back