Review Rd 19 Review - Freo Dont Lose Against Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Short break (tigers played day slot last sat vs our night), travel and a mini elim final for tigers

I’m ok with the 2 points, takes % out of the equation now for us… just gotta win

I wondered how we would adjust with fyfe going in the 2nd, better than expected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLo in his SEN interview this morning said the younger guys are tiring and it’s taking a club wide approach to get their energy up

Expects the energy to naturally ripen later in the season when finals come but it’s a challenge atm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have depth why not use it?

Load management is a thing.

Yeah I'm pretty ok with it today. Thought about how many big games Richmond have played in over the last 5 years or so, how many Friday night games, how many finals etc.

Our team by contrast is very young and inexperienced, particularly playing in that timeslot on the big stage.

I do wonder at what it must do to the circadian rhythms starting a game at what would be 8pm here and not finishing till basically 11pm at night. The football conditioning people, psychologists, dieticians etc must have made massive strides in recent years to get players performing at optimum at all times of day and in so many different environments from week to week - Tassie, Canberra, NT, Alice, QLD, Melbourne, Sydney, Perth.

In so many years past our team would have gone to water under the pressure the Tigers, the Vic media, the crowd brought to a big Friday game.
This group of mostly youngsters are made of solid stuff. Our backline particularly is exceptional.

Chapman is one of the most unique talents I've seen for a long time. His concentration, composure and competitive nature combined with a brilliant football brain is very special.

Young is elite and he's a baby still. He & Clark are one of the best rebounding combos in the league.

Cox is incredible, his composure under pressure, the way he backs himself to get through or past anyone is incredible to watch.

Pearce is the general, all the young players say so. And he is one of the best lock down players in the league. His kicking last night was fine except the one awful one.

Walker is another unique player. Yes he does crazy stuff but he is fearless and creates play others wouldn't dare attempt. I love him.

I thought Henry showed in his last couple of outings that he's going to be very good. Not necessarily prolific but you can't teach the class and vision he has.

Serong, Brayshaw, Brodie, Darcy is such a brilliant young core of mids. Johnson and Erasmus in the wings waiting.

Obviously the forward half is a different story. Not going into detail there but surely if ever there is a time to give Sturt a chance again in the big-time its now? He could literally be the difference in a final.
Except as has been pointed out the game started around 6.00 pm Perth time, the usual starting time for night games in Perth.

I was impressed with how they've reacted to pressure this year, holding up and winning, or not losing the majority of times. Many teams have ramped it up against us this year and you can't replicate that in practice.

Can train for set shots under perceived pressure, have to be better at subbing in the last quarter, it's not that hard and maybe a few selection queries, which should all be easily addressed.

Also love how instinctive acts from the players haven't been stomped out of them with JLo!

Not sure if Logues game has been mentioned on here as I have only read the last few pages of this review

I am a fan of his and am sure the club will come up with a suitable contract.

However last night he had a mare and was the most disappointing of our team in my opinion.... fumbled ,dropping marks he got his hands to and generally seemed overawed..maybe it was just the Friday night big stage combined with rucking for the first time..he's better than that
Treacy would be a better 2nd ruck option but you can't have a forward line of Tabs Lobb Logue and Treacy

Last edited:
Man… just watching the first 10 mins of that last quarter again.

Here’s how many chances we had:
Serong snap = no score
Aish snap = out of bounds
Walters = out of bounds
Logue 35m directly in front = 1 behind
Brodie off his left = no score
Logue drop mark 35m out
Colyer puts it on Taberner head when clear of opponent.
Walter tries to through 2 tacklers.

Then the ball gets whipped down the other end and they score.

Game should’ve been 2 goals up to us in all seriousness and although Tigers came home hard late and couldn’t score we had ample opportunities to get a decent lead.

The young players are mostly playing WAFL, isn't that what he's talking about? Or is he referring to the AFL players in their early 20's?

Our depth isn't great. Blakely, Crowden, Tucker, Wilson, Hamling, Meek. All have had plenty of opportunities and they're at their right level. Wilson and Meek are the only two that you could make a case for, and Darcy up until now has been far superior to Meek, and Clark and Young better than Wilson. We need to win games.

Serong snap = no score
Walters = out of bounds
Logue drop mark 35m out

Game should’ve been 2 goals up to us in all seriousness and although Tigers came home hard late and couldn’t score we had ample opportunities to get a decent lead.
Tbf same could be said about Richmond putting the game away early on

Not sure if Logues game has been mentioned on here as I have only read the last few pages of this review

However last night he had a mare and was the most disappointing of our team in my opinion.... fumbled ,dropping marks he got his hands to and generally seemed overawed..maybe it was just the Friday night big stage combined with rucking for the first time..he's better than that
Tracey would be a better 2nd ruck option but you can't have a forward line of Tabs Lobb Logue and Treacey

Logue was horrendous. If we’re going to bang on about his ability to be a ‘swing’ player he just needs to nail those 35m out directly in front goals. There’s zero excuses. That would’ve given us the lead at a time we were all over them.

It's quite valuable teaching young players how to drag more out of themselves when they are sore and tired.

The player I'd expect to get rotated in would be Meek but I'd argue that the games we have won have been when Darcy stepped up at the stoppage and that's something Meek hasn't done yet at this level.

Andrew Brayshaw was shown how to play fatigued in his first few years and he pushes through.

They will be better for it.

We are probably playing finals this year as hoped.

Tracey would be a better 2nd ruck option but you can't have a forward line of Tabs Lobb Logue and Treacey
Lol
You know he played full forward, full back and Ruck he's allowed to be lost

Serong snap = no score
Walters = out of bounds
Logue drop mark 35m out

The other one I'd like to know more about was when Colyer had it on the run about 60 out and had I think Freddy running outside him in what on the tv looked open space but Colyer handballed inside into trouble. Anyone at the ground remember that one and can you shed light on whether the outside player was the better option?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man--give me a Sunday arvo at 2:30 slot with the dulcet tones of Papalia and co. anyday of the week.

The commentary and coverage of the game last night was agonizing. A team of the most unprofessional sounding louts ever assembled. Painful to listen to. Sick to death of the procession of boofhead ex-players they trot out every year. Lo and behold as "fan favourite" Paddy Dangerfield joins the Seven commentary team. Spare me.

Oh yeah and Youngy is now my favourite Docker.

Man--give me a Sunday arvo at 2:30 slot with the dulcet tones of Papalia and co. anyday of the week.

The commentary and coverage of the game last night was agonizing. A team of the most unprofessional sounding louts ever assembled. Painful to listen to. Sick to death of the procession of boofhead ex-players they trot out every year. Lo and behold as "fan favourite" Paddy Dangerfield joins the Seven commentary team. Spare me.

I agree and am not a fan of Danger but I was super surprised by the job he did in one of our recent games. Good voice, but most importantly gave real valuable and interesting insight into the game unlike all the others.

Unfortunately the comp is Victorian based and therefore you're going to mostly get Vic players or ex- players that fit the "good bloke" vibe and or are marketable e.g. Daisy. Just the way it is, and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it, other than tune out.

Logue was horrendous. If we’re going to bang on about his ability to be a ‘swing’ player he just needs to nail those 35m out directly in front goals. There’s zero excuses. That would’ve given us the lead at a time we were all over them.
Yeah and once Logue starts nailing them and hanging onto marks he will be a terrific forward. Why don't you bag Fyfe's horrible miss instead? He has much less of an excuse to miss those set shots.

Tbf same could be said about Richmond putting the game away early on
I mean I get that… but I prefer to look at what our side has control over and what it can do with it.

We scored 7 points in as dominant a 10 mins as any team could have in any game. We were absolutely all over them. 7 points.

Where as I wouldn’t say Richmond were dominant… they just missed opportunities.

Logue played three positions at time last night. Forward then ruck then following Soldo into the defence. Shit coaching.

Treacy would be a better 2nd ruck option but you can't have a forward line of Tabs Lobb Logue and Treacy
This is just a poor take. Logue had a poor game? The guy being flung into the forward line with little to no training, with Richmond (an elite defence) playing a plus one all night. And then pulled up the ground to ruck with even less training? Given the position he was put in he did amazing. Would you like to ruck when your 15kg lighter and 10cm shorter than your opponent?

You’d think fingers would be pointed at Schultz, walters, and Taberner, who are actually forwards who fumbled all night and played awful, or the selectors and who left out Treacy and meek

Agree re commentary team. Commentary!!!! barracking more like it.
I am surprised that the shot clok issue late has not been raised.
I saw Pickett begin to kick the ball. the time clock disappeared, and seemed like an eternity for the siren to go. Should have sounded before the mark was taken. Then we wouldn't have had to put up with 7and Fox bleating about the kid playing on.
They talked about Boltas lack of knowledge about the time clock. How about they talk about Frederick and his footy smart, watched the shot clock, listented to the umpires call, smothered. How about they sing his praises.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::poo::poo: commentary.

I mean I get that… but I prefer to look at what our side has control over and what it can do with it.

We scored 7 points in as dominant a 10 mins as any team could have in any game. We were absolutely all over them. 7 points.

Where as I wouldn’t say Richmond were dominant… they just missed opportunities.
We just struggle so badly against teams that just set up defensive zones 60-70m out from goal. Sure we have so much of the ball, however it almost exclusively ends up in the same play… long high kick into the 50. Just didn’t have any talls influencing the contest at times

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 19 Review - Freo Dont Lose Against Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back