Review Rd 19 Review - Freo Dont Lose Against Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else notice Logues one handed smother in the last 15 seconds on the far wing? That’s the kind of desperation you need in finals, every chance that would have been marked by a tigers player for sure.
One guy who’s under the radar and escaping scrutiny lately but is on notice for some ordinary performances is Schultz.
If he’s not kicking goals I’m not sure what he’s adding. He seems rather tired and flat footed and probably fortunate that Switta is out.

Normally don’t mind Richo on seven but jeez he was annoying last night. Kept banging in about Balta not hearing the play on call. Didn’t say a word about the suspicious Miller sub even when asked by Hodgy. And then whinging to Luke Ryan in the rooms about Balta again. BT was desperate for the tigers to win too. Not a word from them about the late siren either.
Schultz worked his ass off v Sydney last week. Had to compete in the air far too often last night to make a contest & chased out all night. Both teams had a plus 1 in the back half, it was a night for defenders, not forwards. Schultz is the very least of any worries.

Yeah and once Logue starts nailing them and hanging onto marks he will be a terrific forward. Why don't you bag Fyfe's horrible miss instead? He has much less of an excuse to miss those set shots.

So Logue just needs to hold his marks and nail those set shots? Just work on the 2 basic fundamentals of football? But what an athlete right?

Look he’s had a great year. Been moved around and performed admirably, but he had a mare yesterday.

Fyfe? Terrible miss too. There you go.

So Logue just needs to hold his marks and nail those set shots? Just work on the 2 basic fundamentals of football? But what an athlete right?

Look he’s had a great year. Been moved around and performed admirably, but he had a mare yesterday.

Fyfe? Terrible miss too. There you go.
Chill your nips you are taking this way too seriously. Logue has played 4 games up forward. Give him a preseason in the forwardline and there's no reason he can't shine as a forward. Has an awesome vertical leap, is pacey and can take a good contested grab.

Chill your nips you are taking this way too seriously. Logue has played 4 games up forward. Give him a preseason in the forwardline and there's no reason he can't shine as a forward. Has an awesome vertical leap, is pacey and can take a good contested grab.

Well he can’t kick. I’d say that a pretty big reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They never mentioned the only dropping the knees call all night. The third quarter deep in our forward line. Close tot he white square, Grimes takes the ball, drops to his knees and forces the high contact. Free kick. Only one like that I saw all night.

That Grimes knee drop was exactly what the AFL went to great lengths to explain as being illegal during the week. Come game day and the Muppet of an umpire turns a blind eye.

We can still make it, need to beat probably three of the remaining four

If we win all of our remaining 4 games we would most likely end up 2nd on the ladder.
Geelong now look likely to finish minor premiers with their relatively easy run home.
Melbourne and Brisbane both have some tough games against top 8 teams, including against each other in R23, so they could both easily drop 2 games during the remainder of the Home & Away season.

I'm not saying I think Freo will win 4 of our last 4, but the point is, if we are good enough, then Top 4 and even Top 2 are still on the table.
(NB: We can still end up anywhere from 1st to 10th at the end of the H&A, depending on our results and others).

Last edited:
The AFL has issued the please explain over Miller being subbed out of the game Friday night. Cramp isn't an injury that would keep a player out for 12 days.

They have or are you saying they have to? I can't see it anywhere.

The AFL has issued the please explain over Miller being subbed out of the game Friday night. Cramp isn't an injury that would keep a player out for 12 days.
Pity absolutely nothing will come of it. I've not kept track of it with other games, but that's the 2nd time this year a club as clearly absolutely rorted it against us.

Pity absolutely nothing will come of it. I've not kept track of it with other games, but that's the 2nd time this year a club as clearly absolutely rorted it against us.

There isn't anything that could happen, player on the field penalties are usually related to scores after the ineligible player took the field. Although I don't think Colyer is tackled if Rioli Jr isn't on the field, Richmond didn't score.

There isn't anything that could happen, player on the field penalties are usually related to scores after the ineligible player took the field. Although I don't think Colyer is tackled if Rioli Jr isn't on the field, Richmond didn't score.

I find this very interesting given I am just looking at the correlation of Freo's AFL tracker results with our win/losses.
In the 5 games we have lost so far in 2022, the opposition ran more total kms than us 4 times.
In our wins we average +3.9km's more than our opposition and -3km's in our losses.
And our Sprint Effort stats (which are generally quite poor for 2022) average almost twice as bad in our losses (ie. -8.6 for wins vs -15.6 for losses).

That is, when Freo are missing players like Lobb (high game kms), Switta and O'Driscoll (pace/sprints), it appears that we can be exploited for our lack of run.
And M. Rioli's fresh legs for the last 12minutes of the game meant he ended up the leader on ground for average speed in attack (and 4th in defence).

Playing with the AFL ladder predictor, Freo can still finish anywhere between 1st and 10th at the end of the Home & Away season.
Even if we win 1 of our next 4 games we can still miss playing finals footy in September with 13.5 wins ... so things are heating up.

This story reminds me of stuff my grandfather used to tell me about his job as a prison guard...

I won't go into gory details, but basically the moral of the story was, if you're one man charged with managing a large bunch of dangerous lunatics, the best way to do it is with humour, and make sure you keep the bastards on-side.

In that kind of environment, them dissing your team as a bit of a piss-take in public, then thanking you sincerely for cooperating in private, is a technique taken straight out Prisoner Management 101:

1. First build public rapport with the masses through feigned sympathy towards their feelings and depreciating humour that doesn't actually directly attack any individual you are trying to remove;

2. Separate the individual at risk from the potential threat with all speed for their own safety and yours

3. Connect and check in with the vulnerable individual(s), make sure they are okay and take them to a safer location - such as solitary confinement if they request it, or else back to their cell... Or in this case, take them to a different seat in a different section all together where they are no longer at risk.

In short, the security guard was just doing their job, and by all accounts did it very well. Whomever it was that called the security guard in the first place, actually did the right thing... What's far worse is when people DON'T call a security guard, and decide to deal with s**t themselves.

Please note this is on no way an attack on Tiger's fans, or any individual, or me casting aspersions on anybody... The following is sadly true of any large, overly emotional, rambunctious crowd who are feeling a bit antsy about something.

It's not an AFL thing, it's not a Tigers vs Dockers thing, it's basic crowd management and a rather sad reflection of human behaviour in general.
I didn't mind being led out of the cell on this occasion .. 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 19 Review - Freo Dont Lose Against Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back