Preview RD.2 Gold Coast Suns v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Really impressed with Zac Smith and Charlie Dixon. Both showed BIG potential. Bright futures ahead.

Would love for Karmichael Hunt to be released into the midfield for the final 5 minutes of each quarter to inject some tackling pressure and a seriously big body in there.

Also Danny Stanley should see time as an inside mid, big body and can help with winning some hard ball to take the pressure of Gaz, Harris and the younger bodies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much what I expected for a first time game against a side gunning for the top 4. No surprises. First quarter just got rolled! Second quarter (most of it) nerves seemed to go away. That or Blues switched off.

Anyone see Dixon's final mark? Caught it right in the goal square, and someone pretty much bounced off him. The dude's huge. Bigger than I remember him being. Going to be a big force.

Zac Smith in the ruck too. He's tall and looks like he can fly when he jumps!

Gee, I really wasn't expecting such a mauling. It is all about the experience though, you guys will be better for the run.

Well, OK, now we all have some information on how GC are going to go this year. Obviously it did play out as men vs boys, because it WAS men vs boys.

Some of the boys, though, looked fantastic. Dixon and Smith are HUGE. They look ready to deliver right now.

Swallow is clearly born to be a star, and Bennell has tricks.

Riska and Harris are seriously good mature recruits.

GAJ looked like he hadn't played a pre-season game. I HOPE for GC he is truly up to the challenge of being a club leader. Sure will be different for him than in a dominant Cats side.

I felt flat out sorry for Seb Tape. Clearly a good, talented kid, but it wasn't fair seeing him get mauled by guys who've done ~7-8 pre-seasons.

Overall, pleased my team defended their honour. We didn't have much to gain tonight. GC will simply get better and better, but it's gonna be a long year.

Was a disappointing result tonight by the boys. The thing that showed was the lack of defnesive pressure and the lack to push back and help out defenders. They look poor under pressure and have a lot to learn.

The postives... They looked great when the ball was out in the open and some of the guys showed some good skills and class. The Suns will improve over the year hopefully they can get some wins up.

Big Roast to the Blues supporters near us at eth ground tonight. The calls of "The Suns are s&$t" all night was quite boring and not what a new side to the comp needs. Cheer your team but whats the point of bagging out kids especially from a club that has been dwelling down the bottom of the ladder for most of the decade.

To all Suns supporters keep going to the games was a good size crowd there and great to see such a sea of Red. Results will come in time

It'll take probably 8-10 rounds I reckon, but the Suns will be properly competitive. Will be happy when they get their first win.

Ok, back from the game, and over my shock and disbelief.
I've been doing what Gazza said and put the game into perspective.
Good to get the first one out of the way.

Agree with prev poster that Coad would have been a better choice than Tape for the first game. Tape has the size but he was lost on the field.

THANK GOD RISKA WENT BACK AND stopped the hamoeraging in the second half. Bock was deliberately run out of posi by Carltons no 30, exposing defence early on

The team played like 22 strangers. Glimpses of hope from Gazza and Bennell.
To coach McKenna's credit he get his cool, only pulling out the odd player at 1/4 and 3/4 time to give direction.

Good crowd. We can only be satisfied that the waiting is over, and that the team will begin to gel during the season. :)

Plenty of reasons to be positive GC; saw this stat on the main board, puts things in perspective.

GC were reasonably competitive in the early part of each quarter, but their fitness wasn't up to AFL standard.

Q1 - Carlton scored the last 28 points (4.4)
Q2 - Carlton scored 26 of the last 27 points (4.2)
Q3 - Carlton scored the last 25 points (4.1)
Q4 - Carlton scored 25 of the last 31 points (4.1)

GC was outscored 16.8 to 1.1 in the latter stages of each quarter, i.e. under half a game. Scores were 10.7 to 6.9 in the rest of the match.

Can actually see them improving significantly within a month or so.

Was a disappointing result tonight by the boys. The thing that showed was the lack of defnesive pressure and the lack to push back and help out defenders. They look poor under pressure and have a lot to learn.

The postives... They looked great when the ball was out in the open and some of the guys showed some good skills and class. The Suns will improve over the year hopefully they can get some wins up.

Big Roast to the Blues supporters near us at eth ground tonight. The calls of "The Suns are s&$t" all night was quite boring and not what a new side to the comp needs. Cheer your team but whats the point of bagging out kids especially from a club that has been dwelling down the bottom of the ladder for most of the decade.

To all Suns supporters keep going to the games was a good size crowd there and great to see such a sea of Red. Results will come in time
Harden up princess.
Hows your 33 point prediction going?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back