Preview RD.2 Gold Coast Suns v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zac Smith is listed at FF, so he and Fraser will rotate I'd assume. The Hunt at CHB really is just to have him in the side. He'll still going to play on the smaller of the Carlton forwards, like perhaps Walker or something.

I'm so stoked for Sebby!:thumbsu: Was kinda expecting he might be an emergency, but can't wait to see his debut now! A few mates from school are flying up for the match, so he should have a little fan club amongst the crowd.:p He was pretty pumped when I spoke to him a little while ago too, like I'm sure most of the team is.

Good luck guys!

COad not in the team, that is suprising.

Coads omission is purely based on Carltons small forward line , im thrilled to see Seb Tape there , i think he is going to be a star backman in the future for us. On paper we look alright , not sure if big Zac will play FF but bluey is commited to playing 2 ruckman this year.

Preview of the game , not my work:D

Preview: Gold Coast v Carlton
VENUE & TIME: The Gabba, Saturday 2 April, 7.10pm (AEST)
HEAD TO HEAD: Never Played
LAST TIME: Not Applicable

WALKING WOUNDED: The Suns' official injury list comprises just two names - Jeremy Taylor (groin - 8 weeks) and Joel Wilkinson (knee - 4-6 weeks). The Blues will be without veteran Ryan Houlihan (calf), ruckman-forward Matthew Kreuzer (knee), youngster Luke Mitchell (shoulder) and Setanta O'hAilpin (ankle). Jarrad Waite, who was concussed in the Round 1 win over Richmond, is expected to be available.

FORM:
Gold Coast's Past Five:
NAB Cup R1: Win, 0.4.1 (25) - 0.3.4 (22) v Sydney, Blacktown
NAB Cup R1: Win, 0.8.4 (52) - 0.4.3 (27) v GWS, Blacktown
NAB Cup QF: Loss, 1.5.11 (50) - 0.12.15 (87) v West Coast, Patersons Stadium
NAB Challenge: Loss, 3.5 (23) - 14.11 (95) v Sydney, Southport
NAB Challenge: Loss, 7.12 (54) - 17.19 (121) v Brisbane Lions, Southport

Carlton's Past Five:
NAB Cup Rd 1: Loss: 0.3.8 (26) - 0.5.3 (33) v Collingwood, Etihad Stadium
NAB Challenge: Win: 29.9 (183) – 4.2 (26) v GWS Giants, Manuka Oval, Canberra
NAB Challenge: Win 15.10 (100) – 11.10 (76) v Adelaide, Visy Park
NAB Challenge: Loss: 11.15 (81) - 14.8 (92) v Geelong, Visy Park
Round 1: Win, 14.20 (104) - 13.6 (84) v Richmond, MCG

WHO'S HOT: Michael Rischitelli was a standout for the Suns in the club's NAB Cup quarter-final loss to the Eagles and final pre-season match against the Lions a fortnight later. Brandon Matera has been the best-performed of the untried youngsters while former Magpie Danny Stanley enjoyed a consistent pre-season. A galaxy of stars shone for Carlton in the club's first-up win over Richmond, including Marc Murphy, Bryce Gibbs, Mitch Robinson, Kade Simpson, Chris Judd, Andrew Carrazzo, Heath Scotland and debutant Ed Curnow, all of whom racked up 24 disposals or more.

WE THINK: If the Suns aren't fired up for this one, the club's historic first AFL match, they never will be. But do they have the cattle to get the job done? The short answer is, no. Last week Matthew Primus metaphorically described Port's clash with Collingwood as a contest between men and boys. On Saturday night at the Gabba, men will literally do battle with boys. Promise will count for nought. It's hard to know what to expect of the Suns' handful of ready-mades. Nathan Bock, Jared Brennan, Campbell Brown and captain Gary Ablett played just one pre-season match between them. It's reasonable to expect they'll be underdone, but Carlton should not take them lightly. The Suns stand to benefit more from Brown's energy and aggro than his stats. With their midfield already up and running, the Blues will be better and wiser for the win over Richmond and won't let this slip in their captain's 200th. It's Carlton by 33 points

33 point deficit is a bit optimistic. I think Carlton will win this one fairly comfortably, maybe 50-60 points.

Hunt and Tape over Coad, wasn't expecting that.

Well it's all coming together now! I can't wait.
I've only seen the Suns on the net so far, but from what I have seen, I'd have Hunt in ahead of Coad. I was surprised Tape was picked before Coad though. I thought Tape may have been the sub. Coad is probably better than Tape at this stage & I thought they'd want him there for a bit of stability, but Tape has more potential in the long-term & Coad may well have been exposed by the speed of Carlton's small forwards.

Looks like a pretty good side. You never know, we might be a chance on the weekend. A good blend of experience & youth.

I hope Alik Magin goes well. I was impressed with his effort in the NAB cup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Seb Tape, Nathan Bock, Campbell Brown
HB: Jarrod Harbrow, Karmichael Hunt, Nathan Krakouer
C: Trent McKenzie, Daniel Harris, Michael Rischitelli
HF: Daniel Stanley, Charlie Dixon, Alik Magin
F: Jared Brennan, Zac Smith, Brandon Matera
Foll: Josh Fraser, David Swallow, Gary Ablett
I/C: Marc Lock, Josh Toy, Harley Bennell, Dion Prestia

Emerg: Maverick Weller, Michael Coad, Daniel Gorringe

Amazing thing is we will probably never see this exact same side on the park ever again. Well done to all the boys who made it. I'm sure those who missed out will get a chance sooner or later.

Was surprised to see Coad in the emergencies but his non-selection isn't about Round 2 2011, it's about Round 1 2015. We simply must get games into our young guns. If it was Seb or Coadie I would've picked Seb as well, and that's nothing against Coadie who has done alright this pre-season.

Also very much looking forward to seeing big Zac play. The games I saw him in the VFL last year highlighted a combination of speed and skill that is rare in a big man. Let's hope he takes a few of the Blues by surprise.

Tear it up boys!!!!

Carlton need to improve. They won almost every centre, boundary and general clearance andstill could only beat Richmond - the worst list in the AFL - by 20 points. Good luck Suns

GC have not stolen any CFC players. They share a city with the bears who killed Fitzroy and did the fev trade. They take on everybody with no support. GC will be my 2nd team no doubt but I want us to deliver their 1st loss.Not a bad team on paper and all vision the kids looks great. Hope u have a big crowd, huge ratings, good game and Blues sneak a win. Any GC fans in Perth-I direct you to www.wablues.com and our facebook/twitter things if you would like to see the game live

GC have not stolen any CFC players. They share a city with the bears who killed Fitzroy and did the fev trade. They take on everybody with no support. GC will be my 2nd team no doubt but I want us to deliver their 1st loss.Not a bad team on paper and all vision the kids looks great. Hope u have a big crowd, huge ratings, good game and Blues sneak a win. Any GC fans in Perth-I direct you to www.wablues.com and our facebook/twitter things if you would like to see the game live

Act of washing your hands there....Carlton were one of the Clubs that voted to kill off Fitzroy when they approved the Brisbane proposal on the 4th July 1996 at the AFL Presidents' Meeting.

Act of washing your hands there....Carlton were one of the Clubs that voted to kill off Fitzroy when they approved the Brisbane proposal on the 4th July 1996 at the AFL Presidents' Meeting.
whatever:go to the bay-not about u but good luck 2 the suns

whatever:go to the bay-not about u but good luck 2 the suns

Got to say BG.. distorting the facts is a fairly unusual way to say good luck to a new team....

Not much has changed in 15 odd years... you're still trying to tell an old Fitzroy supporter on where they can go!....;)

Good Luck Suns!

Carlton need to improve. They won almost every centre, boundary and general clearance andstill could only beat Richmond - the worst list in the AFL - by 20 points. Good luck Suns

Nothing to do with shit kicking at goal and not taking our chances.:rolleyes: Reminded me of a game in September 2008 and some other team.

I've only seen the Suns on the net so far, but from what I have seen, I'd have Hunt in ahead of Coad. I was surprised Tape was picked before Coad though. I thought Tape may have been the sub. Coad is probably better than Tape at this stage & I thought they'd want him there for a bit of stability, but Tape has more potential in the long-term & Coad may well have been exposed by the speed of Carlton's small forwards.

If I was a betting man Id say Carlton by 14 - but I would not be at all surprised with what happens, Im just stoked to be there:thumbsu:

We will have to win and keep the ball,we have real match up problems in defence.

This is it, whatever the result do not want to hear excuses, no spin from the club.This is the chance to set the tone for the future and you only get one first chance.

Henderson is catching up on match fitness after a hip operation and should be back this week and straight back to CHF.

Stop making things up, Port did not offer a first round pick for Hampson last year, which is when they shopped Motlop around and when you made you suggestion. They were rumoured to have offered pick 9 the year before but it's nothing more than rumours. Jacobs asked to leave, we did not shop him around. Quit while you're behind.

Williams considering Hampson
Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams, in need of an established ruckman to replace the recently retired Brendon Lade, has turned his attention to Carlton big man Shaun Hampson, but the Blues have not yet agreed to trade him.

Hampson, 21, made enormous improvement this year in just his third season since coming from Queensland.

Williams is believed to be prepared to on-trade to Carlton the first-round pick Port Adelaide would receive from Hawthorn should the two clubs agree on a suitable trade deal for Shaun Burgoyne. But his willingness to hand the Blues selection No9 is not shared by the rest of his football department.

The Power has also sounded out the availability of Melbourne ruckman Mark Jamar. The Power-Hawks deal stalled yesterday because Essendon again entered negotiations with the Burgoyne camp in an attempt to block the move.

Heres some info on Ports interest back in the day.

FYI - in hindsight Port actually got a long way down the track with Jamar (this is prior to his big year last year) - to the point they were sorting salaries, but he had second thoughts based around loyalty to Melbourne....... so it quite likely that the talk we Hampson was secondary.

Good luck Suns. It's been a long time coming, but the weekend where your club starts is finally here. I'm sure you're all full of anticipation - and best wishes for the Suns.:thumbsu: And whatever happens, it's an exciting time for the game.
Good luck for the season ahead, I'm sure the Suns will have a red hot go. Looking forward to making the trip up to Carrara for Suns v Giants next year.

For what it's worth, I reckon the Suns will get up in a thriller tomorrow. :footy:

Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams, in need of an established ruckman to replace the recently retired Brendon Lade, has turned his attention to Carlton big man Shaun Hampson, but the Blues have not yet agreed to trade him.

Hampson, 21, made enormous improvement this year in just his third season since coming from Queensland.

Williams is believed to be prepared to on-trade to Carlton the first-round pick Port Adelaide would receive from Hawthorn should the two clubs agree on a suitable trade deal for Shaun Burgoyne. But his willingness to hand the Blues selection No9 is not shared by the rest of his football department.

The Power has also sounded out the availability of Melbourne ruckman Mark Jamar. The Power-Hawks deal stalled yesterday because Essendon again entered negotiations with the Burgoyne camp in an attempt to block the move.

Heres some info on Ports interest back in the day.

FYI - in hindsight Port actually got a long way down the track with Jamar (this is prior to his big year last year) - to the point they were sorting salaries, but he had second thoughts based around loyalty to Melbourne....... so it quite likely that the talk we Hampson was secondary.
It's written by Greg Denham and Patrick Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back