Preview RD.2 Gold Coast Suns v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brennan and Ablett haven't played a pre-season game, but might play the intraclub match in the coming weeks. Bock has played the last 2 weeks (i think) and has been solid down back by all reports.

All three will play in Round 2 though.

Brennan and Ablett haven't played a pre-season game, but might play the intraclub match in the coming weeks. Bock has played the last 2 weeks (i think) and has been solid down back by all reports.

All three will play in Round 2 though.

Bock didn't play against the Lions last Sunday.

Fraser. If your bothered post a Blues 22 in here, would be interested to see some line ups.
Cheers, wasn't sure if Fraser was underdone or Gorringe would get a run.

This is the team I posted for round one. Ellard will be available back from suspension and Carrazzo will probably be right to go by round two.

B: Russell Watson Duigan
HB: Yarran Bower Laidler
C: Simpson Gibbs Scotland or Lucas
HF: Garlett Henderson Collins
F: Betts Waite Walker
FOLL: Warnock Judd Murphy
INT: Hampson Armfield Curnow
SUB: Robinson
EMG: Thornton Joseph Davies

Not ready: Kreuzer Carrazzo McLean Houlihan
Suspended: Jamison Ellard

Anyone bold enough to declare some odds of GC actually winning this match? ;)

I know I've seen some postings saying that GC will win this. Some people say by 2 points, others say by 2 goals. But is this hugely possible? Carlton looks to have a few injuries, but this will be the first time GC will play with its full strength side.

As far as I'm aware, anyway. Thoughts?

I'd be suprised if Zac plays as he hasn't had any match practise, whereas Fraser certainly isn't under done he played them all!
Love to see us beat Carlton and history shows upsets regularly occur when a team is playing on emotion.
Realistically Carlton at home to strong for our young list, plus hopes of a strong start probably tempered by the interrupted preseasons of Ablett, Brennan, Bock, Smith and Brown in particular. We would need most of these firing to beat reasonable sides.
Next year a completely different story.

I'd be suprised if Zac plays as he hasn't had any match practise, whereas Fraser certainly isn't under done he played them all!
Love to see us beat Carlton and history shows upsets regularly occur when a team is playing on emotion.
Realistically Carlton at home to strong for our young list, plus hopes of a strong start probably tempered by the interrupted preseasons of Ablett, Brennan, Bock, Smith and Brown in particular. We would need most of these firing to beat reasonable sides.
Next year a completely different story.

This.

It's going to be a huge ask but if our boys go at them hard from go to whoa we might be a chance. The Blues are a fast side that rely a lot on their midfield who move the ball with speed and skill, but aren't the best side at handling physical and perceived pressure. If we can upset them here we're a chance. If they get a hold of us like Brisbane did the other week it might get ugly. Our problem is trying to put physical pressure on them for the whole match with a team full of kids.

Zac probably shouldn't play given his lack of match practice as mentioned above, but I worry if Warnock and Co start feeding the ball to Judd and Murphy on a platter we could be in strife. If he's fit enough he's easily in our top two ruckmen on what I've seen. Zac's presence at the centre bounces would be of value. Warnock has about 3 inches and quite a few kilos over our other ruckmen. Should be an interesting night at the selection table for Bluey and Co.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really gotta just say that the Blues will have a MASSIVE advantage over the Suns, having played the week before.
Differences in experience aside, any team who has played a game at the highest level the week before, when their opposition hasn't played a game at that level recently (or at any stage in the clubs history) is just going to be so better prepared for the game, so much better tuned to the intensity of the contest than the other team..

You gotta take that into consideration.

I really gotta just say that the Blues will have a MASSIVE advantage over the Suns, having played the week before.
Differences in experience aside, any team who has played a game at the highest level the week before, when their opposition hasn't played a game at that level recently (or at any stage in the clubs history) is just going to be so better prepared for the game, so much better tuned to the intensity of the contest than the other team..

Get your facts right before you come post on the Suns board!

They play Richmond, hardly the highest level :p haha

Is anyone gonna be able to see the 'game like scenario' that our boys are going to do this weekend?

I'd be curious to see how the team runs around with Ablett and Brennan now in play. Them combined with Risk, Harris, Brown, Fraser, Bock and the other youngsters, we'd be able to see how well they're really gelling. Should give some sort of indication anyway.

Not to mention Carlton having the home ground advantage given they've actually played at the Gabba before.

Any worry with a few key players not playing much in the pre-season you think?

Yes, but it's either Ablett, Brennan, Bock and Brown or Weller, Joey Daye, Jeremy Taylor and Rex Liddy. Not much we can do about it unfortunately. We need the experience on the field or we'll get slaughtered.

The Blues are a fast side that rely a lot on their midfield who move the ball with speed and skill, but aren't the best side at handling physical and perceived pressure. If we can upset them here we're a chance. If they get a hold of us like Brisbane did the other week it might get ugly. Our problem is trying to put physical pressure on them for the whole match with a team full of kids.

Pretty fair assessment :thumbsu:

Hey guys sorry to intrude, heard a rumour that daniel harris has a back injury and is in doubt for round 2, is this true? (DT related question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back