Game Day Rd 20 Roos v Cats Hobart 1.45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corr and Stephens on the goal line completely changed the face of the game. Both should receive brownlow votes for the cats.
IF we clean up our disposal inside 50 in the second half we could put on 5 or6 goals fairly quickly.

As ridiculous as giving up that goal was, if the team falls apart from one silly goal then we have bigger problems

Regardless of whether he should have ran back or gone forward, he wasn't even looking at the ball.
That's pretty shit.

We get the clearance from a missed mark on the half back flank. George flicks it out to RHJ, who handballs to Curtis, who handballs back to RHJ. We're on the wing. Larkey is inboard, running on the inside of SDK, with Jack Henry sitting about 20 metres in front of him. They're the only three players within 80 metres of goal.

RHJ kicks around the corner to Phillips, who picks it up and handballs back to RHJ. Larkey has gotten behind SDK and his movement towards goal instead of towards RHJ has rendered Henry a useless spectator. In order to come back to the footy, he'd have to not only get back past SDK, but also between RHJ and Henry. RHJ's not good enough to make that kick. But he is good enough to kick it 40-45 metres over SDK's head, into the 30 metres of space between Larkey and the goals.

And Larkey is looking at the footy the entire time; he's running back towards goal because that's the smart and only play. He has to turn around because RHJ burns the kick (and fair enough, probably knackered) kicking it straight down SDK's throat.

Larkey has played, as far as I'm concerned, to team instructions, and has nullified the Geelong spare (Henry) by leading back to goal. A skill error from RHJ is the only reason it's not a goal to Larkey.

I lost count of how many times Geelong players were allowed to take a tackle and end up flinging the ball into the air without it being HTB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FG there is no way Hansen was ever making that kick under that kind of presssure.
They always fall short. Was poor reading of the play by Larkey considering the the whole quarter the balls been falling short as Geelongs pressure increased around the contest.
Respectfully I disagree taz. The replay's pretty clear for mine, Larkey has basically the entire 50 to himself over the top. Hansen could have done anything but mung it and we probably end up with a goal.

I have lost count of the perfect tackles we have laid, resulting in either incorrect disposal, or holding the ball, blatantly ignored, if i'm frustrated, i'm sure the players are.

The kicking into F50 is disgustingly, and consistently atrocious, so momentum killing, lower the eyes

Larkey has played, as far as I'm concerned, to team instructions, and has nullified the Geelong spare (Henry) by leading back to goal. A skill error from RHJ is the only reason it's not a goal to Larkey.

Respectfully disagree. When you have a 1 on 1 against your defender, and you've got the oppo interceptor 20 metres in front of you with his back to the ball, you have to lead at the ball carrier to a space where it takes the interceptor out of the contest and you instead have a 1 on 1. Lead to the pocket, lead to the corridor...

But Larkey did none of that. He wasn't even looking at RHJ when the kick came, and was caught flat footed.

That's on Larkey 100%. Not RHJ.

1722056581041.png

Aside from our skill errors and some bad calls (non calls) we are way to cavalier kicking forward into the 50m. Patience required sometimes.

How about provide a leading option and make it a bit easier?

How many times this year have we had someone lead towards the ball carrier and take a set shot?

It is always long inside 50’s hoping for a contested mark or free, or long goals on the overlap E.g. Zurhaar.

We know our disposal is sub par, make it easier to hit leading options whilst in space

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Respectfully disagree. When you have a 1 on 1 against your defender, and you've got the oppo interceptor 20 metres in front of you with his back to the ball, you have to lead at the ball carrier to a space where it takes the interceptor out of the contest and you instead have a 1 on 1. Lead to the pocket, lead to the corridor...

But Larkey did none of that. He wasn't even looking at RHJ when the kick came, and was caught flat footed.

That's on Larkey 100%. Not RHJ.

View attachment 2060361

You've identified Larkey's leading lane and apparently leading straight at the ball carrier would mean he's leading directly into the back of Henry's head.

He can either lead to the pocket and have a more difficult shot at goal, or Hansen can kick it 40 metres to the literal acre of space to the right of Larkey.

come on boys, gotta stay in this one, at the very least not getting thrashed would be good lol, praying the second half belongs to us 🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back