Autopsy RD 22 - Exposed by the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting Bevo presser. Pretty much conceded that getting killed in the ruck is a big issue.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That is interesting. Did he come to this conclusion on the back of one match, or the last 300 matches? A slow burner šŸ”„ of an observation.

Really needed to freshen the team up after the hard 4 week slog, 9 days between games or not.

Buku and Coffield have been ordinary for long periods in the last 3 games. 2 of JOD, Freijah or Buss should have replaced them. Buss is at least as physically strong as Buku but also would provide better run and positioning, that hurt us.

When you have Sanders and Macrae playing as they have been there was no need to play half fit players even it is Bont.

VDM fumbles way too much and for that forward pressure role McNeil has moved past him.

Too many of our better players had poor games.

Garcia gets lost around stoppages, if he is in the team have him play VDM's role.

Need to go away and re group for the next 2 weeks. The only positive is it is in our hands but I am still not sure the overall maturity of the group is there yet

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

For some reason even when we are a very good side we can't string together a long sequence of wins. To be fair, it's normally only the very best sides that put together long sequences of wins ... but haven't we been one of them for at least some of the last decade?

Consider the premiers for the last decade:

Collingwood (2023 premier) won 8 on end. They also won 7 on end when they were runners up in 2018.
Geelong (2022) won 16 on end. Say no more. I haven't even bothered to look past that for Geelong. A truly professional and reliable side nearly every season.
Melbourne (2021) won 9 on end and 7 on end in the one season.
Richmond (2020) won 6 on end.
Richmond (2019) won 12 on end.
Richmond though eliminated in the PF in 2018 still won 6 on end and 7 on end that season.
Richmond (2017) won only 5 on end but did it twice.
West Coast (2018) won 10 on end.
Hawthorn (2015) won 8 on end. They also happened to win 9 on end in 2016 and 6 on end in 2018 not to mention their recent 5 on end in 2024. And of course they had long sequences of wins in 2012-2014 as well.

By contrast in 10 seasons under Bevo we have only ever won 6 on end once (in 2021) and 5 on end once (in 2023).

In fact we have won a mere 4 games on end just 5 times in that decade: 2024 (the last four games before today), 2017 (rds 17-20), 2016 (the finals series) and twice in 2015.

Lets put it in a table:
2024 - 4 wins once
2023 - 5 wins once
2022 -
2021 - 6 wins once
2020 -
2019 -
2018 -
2017 - 4 wins once
2016 - 4 wins once incl the flag
2015 - 4 wins twice

Does anybody else see a problem here? For a supposedly powerful side over the last decade this looks decidedly flaky to me. Is it any wonder we can't secure a top 4 spot with this sort of brittleness?

Or is this just telling us that we have never really been top echelon and we were lucky to snag the cup with a purple patch in 2016?

I could try to analyse it every which way (including the bewildering late season losses to lowly teams when finals beckon) but the most positive way I can view it is to look forward and say that if we can beat North next week, then lose to GWS but still somehow make the finals then that will be our best shot at a flag.

Because we can hope to play out of our skins for 4 consecutive weeks as we did in 2016 and again in 2024 over the last 4 weeks, but anything longer than that and the elastic breaks.

Well beaten all day margin should have been less but our continued goal kicking woes which are a worry. It was a game I was worried about, they got their best player back in Rankine and I rate Fogarty plus AO has been a graveyard since 2021 PF. However, to be spanked by an average midfield was poor. It happens so often when Tim gets taken to the cleaners in the ruck.

In a year were there have been so many come backs from 5 plus goals behind you know we are gone as soon as we get more than the 3 goals down we just to not have the mental fortitude to get back into the game. It is like we say in the first 10 minutes we are not on today maybe next week.

Please no 2023 WCE performance next week against North. It is now a danger game especially if Xerri belts Tim in the ruck.

Lobb's usually good marking deserted him today. Grassed a lot of balls you would normally back him to mark That one on the switch on the forward flank was hideous and Crows slingshot from there for an easy goal
Did seem like the setting sun was causing us a fair bit of grief in the first quarter when the game got away from usā€¦ in fairness itā€™s not something our guys have to deal with very often

I was actually getting excited about finals and thought we had turned the corner.

So excited in fact that I told my girlfriend that the holiday we had planned to go to Thailand and Hong Kong in the next school holidays needed to be completely rearranged in order to allow me to have the flexibility to get back to Melbourne because the Dogs could make the Grand Final and I couldnā€™t miss it. I rearranged our accommodation, built in flexible airfares and booked a ticket to get me back into Melbourne on Grand Final morning.

Massively pissed off my girlfriend who is planning to still go onto Hong Kong and I have told her I would love to join her but had to plan to get back to Melbourne and break up our holiday plans.

And then the Dogs go and do this, I mean shit what was I thinking? It is absolutely typical of this team though to do something like this, to win the games we are underdog in and then go and play like shit against a bottom team. Very similar to last year and the year before that.

I shouldnā€™t have trusted them but they sucked me in.

I expect we will win next week and then drop the final game against the Giants and need other results to go our way with Carlton and/or Freo losing their last game or else we finish 9th.

Thatā€™s the outcome from this piss poor effort. Finals are not guaranteed and thereā€™s every chance we miss now. We need to win both of our remaining games to be sure of being there and quite frankly we arenā€™t doing shit if we do make it. Canā€™t kick straight for goal and just not good enough.

Why do they make us believers and then do something like this?
Mate relationshipss first, hopes for the dogs to make you happy has to go last!

For some reason even when we are a very good side we can't string together a long sequence of wins. To be fair, it's normally only the very best sides that put together long sequences of wins ... but haven't we been one of them for at least some of the last decade?

Collingwood (2023 premier) won 8 on end. They also won 7 on end when they were runners up in 2018.
Geelong (2022) won 16 on end. Say no more. I haven't even bothered to look past that for Geelong. A truly professional and reliable side nearly every season.
Richmond though eliminated in the PF in 2018 still won 6 on end and 7 on end that season.
Hawthorn (2015) won 8 on end. They also happened to win 9 on end in 2016 and 6 on end in 2018 not to mention their recent 5 on end in 2024. And of course they had long sequences of wins in 2012-2014 as well.

By contrast in 10 seasons under Bevo we have only ever won 6 on end once (in 2021) and 5 on end once (in 2023).

In fact we have won a mere 4 games on end just 5 times in that decade: 2024 (the last four games before today), 2017 (rds 17-20), 2016 (the finals series) and twice in 2015.

Lets put it in a table:
2024 - 4 wins once
2023 - 5 wins once
2022 -
2021 - 6 wins once
2020 -
2019 -
2018 -
2017 - 4 wins once
2015 - 4 wins twice

Does anybody else see a problem here? For a supposedly powerful side over the last decade this looks decidedly flaky to me. Is it any wonder we can't secure a top 4 spot with this sort of brittleness?

Or is this just telling us that we have never really been top echelon and we were lucky to snag the cup with a purple patch in 2016?

I could try to analyse it every which way (including the bewildering late season losses to lowly teams when finals beckon) but the most positive way I can view it is to look forward and say that if we can beat North next week, then lose to GWS but still somehow make the finals then that will be our best shot at a flag.

Because we can hope to play out of our skins for 4 consecutive weeks as we did in 2016 and again in 2024 over the last 4 weeks, but anything longer than that and the elastic breaks.
Interesting analysis. It all probably does indicate that we don't have / haven't had a list with the natural ability that favours long sequences of wins [or even long periods of dominance in matches :oops:] ... So we are more reliant on other factors, mainly above the shoulders stuff - confidence, enthusiasm, determination etc. But these are all part of what makes a great team, so I don't think we were lucky in 2016, just great!
The flakiness speaks for itself :(

Lets put it in a table:
2024 - 4 wins once
2023 - 5 wins once
2022 -
2021 - 6 wins once
2020 -
2019 -
2018 -
2017 - 4 wins once
2015 - 4 wins twice

I disagree that we've ever been a powerful side during the H&A season, other than pre-bye 2021. Thats half of one season across 10 years of Bevo. We've otherwise been decidedly average (sometimes a little above average, sometimes a little below average).

Bevo has the ability to get the side rolling for stints but they've been proven to be relatively short, as your stats show.

I will add - whether it's coincidental or not, teams based at Marvel have never really achieved much better than this since the early 2000s outside of Saints 09/10 and half a season of North 16.

Feeling so flat after that.

This team really gives you hope and crushes it:

2024 - Loss against 15th placed Adelaide in a crucial game, after one of the best 4 game periods in the regular season for the WB

2023 - Loss against 16th placed Hawthorn and loss against one of the worst teams in history (at the time) in West Coast to miss the 8

2022 - Elimination final, 35-1 up against Freo at QT and lose by 13

2021 - 3rd QT collapse in the GF

Maybe itā€™s my fault for being too hopeful, but itā€™s so frustrating supporting this club.

Last edited:
Where to start?

A gutless, insipid, pea hearted effort against a bottom four side.

A seven goal loss JHC, so pathetic.

What's worse is that yet again we're caught drinking our own bathwater, yet again exposed when the expectation is there, yet again fail dismally to take advantage of a golden opportunity (top 4). It happens every time and every bloody year. Every year.

All credibility gained over the past month p***** down the drain in a few hours.

You just hope one day things might click from Round 1 and these games where we play like corpses just don't happen.

Likely to screw it up against the Giants in the final round and miss finals which would be fitting for a team that has plenty of ability and has the talent and capability to compete and beat the best, but whose worst is absolutely deplorable.

Lose to Adelaide by 39 points, I would never have imagined that this morning.

Do we employ any sports psychs? We need to quickly because this mental fragility and the horrific goal kicking is really something. Absolute headcases.

Every year since the flag we've messed up and had our pants pulled down and been totally embarrassed either at pivotal sliding doors moments during the season (go right up the ladder or fall back in the pack) or in finals. Games where we don't give a yelp, are weak or just roll over in a meek and feeble fashion are still too frequent.

Gutted. Very flat after that one. Going to take a hell of a lot to get me back up from here.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wait until Xerri gets hold of Tim next week. I hope there is plenty of media heat on him this week, he has a brass neck attempting to hold us to ransom over his contract.

Wow Tim English with 15 Hit-Outs for the game that is shocking but hey he had a sexy 16 disposals and kicked a goal.
The 3 things that stood out to me at the game were:
1. how many clean hit outs we lost which gave their mids massive advantage. English got slaughtered.
2. The shocking goal kicking. We missed sitter after sitter and they nailed their chances
3 . A big part of them nailing their chances were how many goals they kicked under no pressure, whereas everytine we went forward it felt like we were kicking to a 5 on 5.

It never felt like we were in the gane from the 1st bounce horrible day

Last edited:
Feeling so flat after that.

This team really gives you hope and crushes it:

2024 - Loss against 15th placed Adelaide in a crucial game, after one of the best 4 game periods in the regular season for the WB

2023 - Loss against 16th placed Hawthorn and loss against worst teams in history in West Coast to miss the 8

2022 - Elimination final, 35-1 up against Freo at QT and lose by 13

2021 - 3rd QT collapse in the GF

Maybe itā€™s my fault for being too hopeful, but itā€™s so frustrating supporting this club.
You can add:

2024 - The coach sensed a bit of trepidation before a loss to 17th place team ended the season.

For those looking for a silver lining to today's loss, remember that Bevo does not like to change winning teams very much.

Hence having this loss gives us an opportunity to make some changes and hopefully get us closer to our strongest combination.

Interesting Bevo presser. Pretty much conceded that getting killed in the ruck is a big issue.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think that's the first time I've heard him be critical of the ruck situation. Normally he brushes it over but I guess the numbers were just too hard to ignore this time around and the fact that even though Tim often loses the hitout count we generally capitalise on the intercepts from clearances lost, which we did not do today.

For those looking for a silver lining to today's loss, remember that Bevo does not like to change winning teams very much.

Hence having this loss gives us an opportunity to make some changes and hopefully get us closer to our strongest combination.
Wow that's an indictment.

David King mentioned through the week our goal kicking accuracy will cost us a big game. He was spot on with his analysis and it dismissed any chance of being in the game today
Agree, David King, along with Dwayne Russell, are incredibly insightful with a highly developed strategic acumen

Wow that's an indictment.
Not really, it's a fairly standard coaching practice.

He will bring his stars straight back in when they're available, but fringe and role players don't tend to get swapped unless something significant happens to prompt change.

Arguable it's a weakness, but one balanced against Bevo's strengths, which still make him a great coach, just not a perfect infallible one.

Garcia worth persisting with in the midfield? They just walked it out of there today.

Probably watching a different game but I thought Poulter was solid again. Some dump kicks but he's got more aggression and can take a mark
Admittedly, I didn't see all of today but what I've seen of Garcia recently, the more I understand why he's not a start in our 23 and won't crack the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy RD 22 - Exposed by the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back