Preview Rd 24 - Brisbane Lions v Essendon @ GABBA Sat 24th August (7.25pm AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brisbane Lions v Essendon

Saturday 24th August 7.25pm.

The Gabba

In the Rearview Mirror

I really don’t know where to start. The last two weeks have been so deflating and, maybe it’s just me, but this week it is hard to get excited about this game. In the last two weeks we have basically thrown away a Top 4 finish, most probably blown a serious shot at a Premiership and in the process, confirmed our reputation as a team that fails to rise to the moment in make-or-break games. Too harsh? Leaving the MCG on Saturday night, you could see the disappointment in the faces of every Lions fan. We had done our bit. There were 60,000+ people at the game and the turn out from Lions fans was the best I had ever seen for a ‘home and away’ game in Melbourne. Deep in the last quarter, the Lions fans were willing the team home. The Lions chant went up. We were there for our team, but it was all to no avail. It was a carbon copy of the previous week. Once again, we threw away a dominant first quarter lead, Once again, we missed the simplest of set shots. Once again, we cracked under pressure. We were beaten by a team that was really only playing for pride and in the process, in that moment, it was hard to feel much pride ourselves.

I’m sorry, but post-game comments about “learnings” just don’t cut it anymore.

This Week

So, this week we front up at home against Essendon, in a game that we really should win. Our record against Essendon in our last five game is 4 wins and 1 Loss. We haven’t played them since May 2023, but on that occasion, we won by 42 points. Daniher kicked 6, Bailey 2, with singles from McInerney, Hipwood, McCarthy and Rayner.

Brisbane Lions 12.15.87 defeated Essendon 6.9.45

From the Vault

As far as previews go, I’ve even managed to depress myself with this one. Time for some comfort viewing.

Selection Questions

I am thinking that Berry will be rested this week, which means that we will be making some changes. Based on what I saw at the game against Collingwood, I would like to think we line up something like this.

B: Starcevich, Andrews, Joyce

HB: Zorko, Lester, Wilmott

C: Bailey, McCluggage, Fletcher

HF: Ah Chee, Daniher, Rayner

F: Morris, Hipwood, Cameron

Foll: McInerney, Dunkley, Neale

I/C: Lohmann, Robertson, Prior, Ashcroft

SUB: Brain

On paper, that looks like the right mix. Certainly, you would expect that anything that Essendon could put on the park wouldn’t trouble this side.

It would be nice to see the boys kick straight this week and just as importantly, to play unselfish team-oriented football, particularly in the forward line.

Getting a semblance of momentum going before the finals is going to be important, especially now that we are looking at a Home Elimination Final and then three AWAY finals, if we are going to win the Flag.

Lions by 10+ Goals

Last edited:

Time to make a statement...kick 0 goals, 25 behinds
Looking forward to Saturday night more out of morbid fascination really. How many behinds will we kick from set shots inside 35m from in between the point posts (ie the corridor)?

And what sort of lead will we throw away this time? Our PB this year is 46... I reckon we can top that on current form if we really put some effort into it 💪

Berry - test. Positive news on scans.
Payne, Reville - 1 week away, set to return next week via VFL Finals.

Payne and Reville are both set to return for week one of the VFL finals next weekend, in hope to then be available for selection for AFL finals the following week.

At least we'll have them for finals.

Please give Berry another week.
Anyone knows the rules regarding AFL players playing in a VFL final.
Payne 1 game in 2024 & Reville with 6.
Last year was min 6 VFL games and max 12 AFL games (only applies when AFL team isn't also playing). Assume there's no change this year. Unqualified players coming back from injury can get dispensation at the league's discretion.

Please give Berry another week.
Anyone knows the rules regarding AFL players playing in a VFL final.
Payne 1 game in 2024 & Reville with 6.
They said on 360 last night that Geelong were going to play Hawkins in the VFL in the bye weekend before the finals and said that if your AFL team is still playing finals then everyone is eligible to play irrespective that Hawkins hasn't played VFL in a decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane Lions v Essendon

Saturday 24th August 7.25pm.

The Gabba

In the Rearview Mirror

I really don’t know where to start. The last two weeks have been so deflating and, maybe it’s just me, but this week it is hard to get excited about this game. In the last two weeks we have basically thrown away a Top 4 finish, most probably blown a serious shot at a Premiership and in the process, confirmed our reputation as a team that fails to rise to the moment in make-or-break games. Too harsh? Leaving the MCG on Saturday night, you could see the disappointment in the faces of every Lions fan. We had done our bit. There were 60,000+ people at the game and the turn out from Lions fans was the best I had ever seen for a ‘home and away’ game in Melbourne. Deep in the last quarter, the Lions fans were willing the team home. The Lions chant went up. We were there for our team, but it was all to no avail. It was a carbon copy of the previous week. Once again, we threw away a dominant first quarter lead, Once again, we missed the simplest of set shots. Once again, we cracked under pressure. We were beaten by a team that was really only playing for pride and in the process, in that moment, it was hard to feel much pride ourselves.

I’m sorry, but post-game comments about “learnings” just don’t cut it anymore.

This Week

So, this week we front up at home against Essendon, in a game that we really should win. Our record against Essendon in our last five game is 4 wins and 1 Loss. We haven’t played them since May 2023, but on that occasion, we won by 42 points. Daniher kicked 6, Bailey 2, with singles from McInerney, Hipwood, McCarthy and Rayner.

Brisbane Lions 12.15.87 defeated Essendon 6.9.45

From the Vault

As far as previews go, I’ve even managed to depress myself with this one. Time for some comfort viewing.

Selection Questions

I am thinking that Berry will be rested this week, which means that we will be making some changes. Based on what I saw at the game against Collingwood, I would like to think we line up something like this.

B: Starcevich, Andrews, Joyce

HB: Zorko, Lester, Wilmott

C: Bailey, McCluggage, Fletcher

HF: Ah Chee, Daniher, Rayner

F: Morris, Hipwood, Cameron

Foll: McInerney, Dunkley, Neale

I/C: Lohmann, Robertson, Prior, Ashcroft

SUB: Brain

On paper, that looks like the right mix. Certainly, you would expect that anything that Essendon could put on the park wouldn’t trouble this side.

It would be nice to see the boys kick straight this week and just as importantly, to play unselfish team-oriented football, particularly in the forward line.

Getting a semblance of momentum going before the finals is going to be important, especially now that we are looking at a Home Elimination Final and then three AWAY finals, if we are going to win the Flag.

Lions by 10+ Goals

Oh … and it’s Joe Daniher’s 200th game.

In business and marketing, timing is everything. I can’t see this “offer” making much appeal. With the prospect of a single home Elimination Final looming and then a Semi-Final in either Sydney, Adelaide or Melbourne and then a possible ‘away’ Preliminary final, before a highly unlikely Grand Final appearance at the MCG, I imagine sales will be low.
IMG_0664.png
IMG_0665.png

Really hope we don't risk Bez... he's more important in September than round 24. And surely we have enough motivation with redemption and restoring self belief to cover him??

Shadeu has been really impressive and I think has a big role to play in the coming years but Answerth's ability to negate and lock down needs to be bedded into the team for finals. I'm not sure we can play against the dogs or hawks or giants without someone in that role. Get him in and settled.

I somehow want to give Bailey a wake up call but it's too late in the season to make too many changes... if the Pies game wasn't one then I'm not sure what would be. He needs to lift in every aspect of his game.

The Bez replacement is the thing... I think Sharp has promise (still)... but and it's a big one, the choice between Dev and Harry is doing my head in. If we are getting opened up in the middle it has to be Dev. If we are getting run down Harry is it.

Coin toss... Dev it is.

Come on boys... History starts Saturday night!!!

What’s the rest of the team kicking after Joe does that?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
IMG_0667.jpeg
IMG_0666.jpeg
Cam and Zac should be able to contribute to our behind tally.

In business and marketing, timing is everything. I can’t see this “offer” making much appeal. With the prospect of a single home Elimination Final looming and then a Semi-Final in either Sydney, Adelaide or Melbourne and then a possible ‘away’ Preliminary final, before a highly unlikely Grand Final appearance at the MCG, I imagine sales will be low.
View attachment 2085759
View attachment 2085761

😆 It's almost (but not quite) false advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back