Preview Rd 24 - Brisbane Lions v Essendon @ GABBA Sat 24th August (7.25pm AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is controvercial and some of you will go , take it easy man. it's only a game.
Okay.
Get rid of the songs, get fair dinkum.
No more over celebrating , I'd like to know f they are actually a distraction for the players concentration, STEEL.
Now I love it , but , think about it, does this over celebration from us fans rub off on to the boys.
Funnily enough, I heard one of the footy media heads talking about how selfish we’ve been in front of goals in recent weeks acknowledging that players songs aren’t played away, but anyway, it did make me think there is a bit of me, me, me for our players to kick the goal at home given they then get their song played and more attention brought to themselves.

They also highlighted that Geelong the past few years have always celebrated the player that gave the assist as opposed to the player kicking the goal, which is not true of us and reduces the me, me, me attitude of some of our players.

Funnily enough, I heard one of the footy media heads talking about how selfish we’ve been in front of goals in recent weeks acknowledging that players songs aren’t played away, but anyway, it did make me think there is a bit of me, me, me for our players to kick the goal at home given they then get their song played and more attention brought to themselves.

They also highlighted that Geelong the past few years have always celebrated the player that gave the assist as opposed to the player kicking the goal, which is not true of us and reduces the me, me, me attitude of some of our players.
I thought the songs were a distraction on the players and pretty much BS as far as doing anything other than amuse some in the crowd.

That's just me . Don't like them as far as improving our footy goes but I know others seem to think it's cool.

I don't mind the songs, Country Roads by far the best, really sends shivers up the spine when the crowd keep singing it after the recording stops. The closest we will ever get to English Football crowds singing, which is terrific.

However if they ever stopped it it wouldn't worry me in the least.

I thought the songs were a distraction on the players and pretty much BS as far as doing anything other than amuse some in the crowd.

That's just me . Don't like them as far as improving our footy goes but I know others seem to think it's cool.
I loved it for the first couple of years.
This year it's been , yeah , I just want to watch the footy and cheer that on.
I would love us to not play them if we have a home final.

I don't mind the songs, Country Roads by far the best, really sends shivers up the spine when the crowd keep singing it after the recording stops. The closest we will ever get to English Football crowds singing, which is terrific.

However if they ever stopped it it wouldn't worry me in the least.
Interesting i am close to being over the songs a bit too.
I still love country roads it's just we are hearing it less and less this year ;)

I recently mentioned this to my daughter she is 32 and she says no way should they stop the songs.
She also mentions some players need to put more effort into their choices.

Fagan on Berry this morning before training: "He's a good chance [of playing this weekend]. The scan was very positive, so we'll see how he goes today at training. He was running on Tuesday and running quite well, seemed to be pain free. We'll just wait and see, we won't take any risks"
I prefer he misses.
Our finals hopes dive considerably if Berry is missing.
Looks like he may play, so we cross our fingers he gets through the game and plays up to standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is Brandon Starcevich's issue, very important player for finals.

Fingers crossed Jarrod Berry gets through unscathed.

Surprised McKenna is an in, been ordinary in the VFL.

What is Brandon Starcevich's issue, very important player for finals.

Fingers crossed Jarrod Berry gets through unscathed.

I hate the injuries that seem to come out of the blue ruling out players when they arent on the injured list or appear to be injured from the previous game - could understand if it was Bez. I suspect that Dev will be in for Bez on the day of.

What is Brandon Starcevich 's issue, very important player for finals.

"Hamstring awareness" according to the AFL website article.

I get the reasoning though. I think one of Answerth or McKenna needed to come in for Brain in terms of getting more experience into the back line. Whoever plays better keeps their spot when Starce comes back.

LIONS

B: D.Zorko, H.Andrews - C, C.McKenna

HB: D.Wilmot, R.Lester, D.Joyce

C: J.Fletcher, W.Ashcroft, H.McCluggage

HF: C.Rayner, J.Daniher, J.Berry

F: C.Cameron, E.Hipwood, C.Ah Chee

FOLL: O.McInerney, J.Dunkley, L.Neale

I/C: K.Lohmann, L.Morris, H.Sharp, Z.Bailey, N.Answerth

EMG: D.Robertson, J.Prior, H.Smith

IN: C.McKenna, N.Answerth

OUT: B.Starcevich (Injured), S.Brain (Omitted)

BOMBERS

B: A.McGrath, B.McKay, J.Laverde

HB: N.Martin, M.Redman, D.Heppell

C: M.Guelfi, S.Durham, A.Roberts

HF: H.Jones, N.Caddy, D.Parish

F: K.Langford, J.Stringer, D.Shiel

FOLL: S.Draper, J.Caldwell, Z.Merrett - C

I/C: B.Hobbs, J.Gresham, A.Perkins, N.Bryan, J.Kelly

EMG: E.Tsatas, P.Wright, L.Lual

IN: D.Heppell, M.Guelfi

OUT: S.Weideman (Injured), J.Menzie (Omitted)

I get the reasoning though. I think one of Answerth or McKenna needed to come in for Brain in terms of getting more experience into the back line. Whoever plays better keeps their spot when Starce comes back.
I'd have honestly preferred Prior in way more over McKenna.

Dead-set surprised Sharp wasn't omitted; very limited footballer.

I'd have honestly preferred Prior in way more over McKenna.

Dead-set surprised Sharp wasn't omitted; very limited footballer.

I personally don't think Prior even at his best (from what he's shown so far) is the small defender we need going into finals, whereas the ceiling for McKenna is to the level required (IMO) even though he looks so far off that at the moment. I see the merit in giving it another go to see if he can recapture his form against his former club.

Sharp has improved a fair bit when playing at VFL level, but doesn't seem to be able to make the (admittedly big) step up to AFL where he just seems lost. I reckon we might see Reville get that spot back if he gets through next week's VFL game (provided we make finals).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back