Rd 3: Carlton v Essendon Umpiring discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL have been quite clear on this. If you make contact to the head, expect to be penalised. Imagine if this happened to Fev, you'd be expecting him to get a free.

No, I'm a Richmond supporter, I'm impartial regarding this particular match.

But he didn't. He made contact with Lloyd's head instead. That's a free kick every time mate.

Not "instead". He made clean contact with the ball. If he'd made contact with Lloyd and missed the ball, provided Lloyd didn't impede him, I'd agree with you.

Anyway I'm tired of illustrating how the game is going down the toilet. To the letter of the law, you & omahoney are correct and I'm wrong.

No, I'm a Richmond supporter, I'm impartial regarding this particular match.

That'll teach me for not checking. If it happened to Richo then.

Not "instead". He made clean contact with the ball. If he'd made contact with Lloyd and missed the ball, provided Lloyd didn't impede him, I'd agree with you.

Anyway I'm tired of illustrating how the game is going down the toilet. To the letter of the law, you & omahoney are correct and I'm wrong.

Whether he made contact with the ball is not the issue. He made contact with the head. That's a free kick every time. I can't believe anyone would dispute this, given how clear the AFL have made this issue.

The rules need to be changed so that cheats can't prosper.

As it stands (no pun intended), anyone who falls to the ground in a push and shove melee will get either a 50 metre penalty or a free shot at goal.

That is not just and the rules need to be changed. Ball it up in the midfield- but the best actor does not deserve the free kick. There is a loophole that stands right now for people to cheat - remove the loophole.

Dodgiest call of the night had to be the 50m penalty to Dempsey ... he was still juggling the ball when the Carlton player (allegedly held him / stepped over the mark).

I actually agree with this one. I didn't think the Dempsey controlled the mark so the Carlton player was well within his rights to go after him.

so "Harmsey 37" as for those very dubious 3 free kicks that were given to essendon that resulted in goals. Thats 3 goals ok. How many did fevola missed that he should have drilled and as for that not even fevola what about the other shots carlton should have kicked. My main point is people complain about decisions all the time when professional afl players that train 4-5 days a week should kick goals that they miss and no 1 says a word its always the umpires fault!! So its alright for fevola to miss 7 shots at goal which could have been at leats 5 goals but its not ok for the umpire to make 1 or 2 blunders??

There was nothing dubious about them at all. In fact, the only dubious free kick that resulted in a goal went to Carlton.

Were you watching the same match as me?

Essendon got 3 goals from free kicks - 2 from 50 metre penalties.

Carlton got 1 goal from a free kick - NONE from 50 metre penalties.

You do the maths.

Were you watching the same match as me?

Essendon got 3 goals from free kicks - 2 from 50 metre penalties.

Carlton got 1 goal from a free kick - NONE from 50 metre penalties.

You do the maths.

In what universe do you expect the same number of goals from free kicks to both sides? Maths has nothing to do with it. Essendon got 3 shots at goal from free kicks because Carlton gave away 3 free kicks in front of goal. Carlton got one shot at goal from free a kick, even though Essendon didn't actually give any away. That deliberate OOB was a ridiculously unprecedented call, while high contact in marking contests and decking a player after the kick a goal have long been punishable via a free kick.

Counting the number paid is pointless. Instead, count the number incorrectly paid. On that score, Carlton lead 1-0. And that's not including the ridiculous call to allow Judd to play on in the last Qtr, which also resulted in a goal.

In what universe do you expect the same number of goals from free kicks to both sides? Maths has nothing to do with it. Essendon got 3 shots at goal from free kicks because Carlton gave away 3 free kicks in front of goal. Carlton got one shot at goal from free a kick, even though Essendon didn't actually give any away. That deliberate OOB was a ridiculously unprecedented call, while high contact in marking contests and decking a player after the kick a goal have long been punishable via a free kick.

Counting the number paid is pointless. Instead, count the number incorrectly paid. On that score, Carlton lead 1-0. And that's not including the ridiculous call to allow Judd to play on in the last Qtr, which also resulted in a goal.

Essendon has obtained 4 goals from 50 metre penalties to date in the matches they have played against Carlton, Freo and Port.

Their opposition- can you guess? nil, zilch, nada, nothing.That is right. Essendon have got 4 goals from 50 metre penalties -their opposition none.

Now that tells me Essendon are either 4 times luckier than the opposition, that they know how to accentuate incidents to draw attention to the umpire (ie they are actors), or all four free kicks were warranted. You will probably say the last option is right. That is up to you to decide.

Re the Carlton vs Essendon match.

1) Thornton contested the ball with eyes on the ball. Thousands of times in a match such action is applauded for courage. This umpire decided to give a penalty and 50 metre penalty to Lloyd. Physical courage from all players involved should be applauded -not penalised.

2) Grigg contests a ball on the wing- the umpire's whistle has not gone to indicate he had paid the mark (it wasn't a mark as the Essendon player was still juggling it). Punishment for Grigg contesting the ball? a 50 metre penalty and instant goal to Essendon.

3) re: the push and shove of thornton and essendon player. the rules need to be changed as there is no way acting should decide who gets the free kick. if thornton fell to the ground - would you have paid the free kick to him then? is that all that is required to get a free kick?

re deliberate oob being "ridiculously unprecedented" - i have watched footy for years and seen thousands like it. Was it harsh? yes, but did he have options ? yes - he could have handballed it inbound or into someone's legs but instead went direct to the boundary.

In my honest opinion, i wouldn't have paid it... but i think by then the umpires realised they had to go some way to even up what was an atrocious night of umpiring.

what i want to see are more ball ups than free kicks if they are just guessing and get rid of the 50 metre penalties.

Essendon has obtained 4 goals from 50 metre penalties to date in the matches they have played against Carlton, Freo and Port.

Their opposition- can you guess? nil, zilch, nada, nothing.That is right. Essendon have got 4 goals from 50 metre penalties -their opposition none.

There is an assumption that you're making here and that is that 50m penalties only benefit teams if the penalty was awarded when the ball was 50m or less out from goal. Go back through all the matches and you'll find instances where other teams have been awarded a 50m from around the midfield resulting in a mark in the forward line and subsequent goal. These goals would not have been so definate had the 50m penalty not been paid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Terrible umpiring both ways...

Yes, but in terms of common sense, neither should have been paid. Davey was clearly staging both times.

:rolleyes: Yeah ok.

The infringements were there. The rules don't say anything about staging cancelling out a free kick. If you want to change the rules then that's a different matter, but the players understand them going into the game.

If you actually look at the replay you'll see that Thornton's shoulder hits Davey's chin because Davey is so short. Doesn't matter if he was staging or not. Makes no difference to whether the infringement was there.

Since when was it "common sense" to not apply the rules? Everyone has a different idea of what common sense is, which is WHY WE HAVE RULES.

:rolleyes: Yeah ok.

The infringements were there. The rules don't say anything about staging cancelling out a free kick. If you want to change the rules then that's a different matter, but the players understand them going into the game.

If you actually look at the replay you'll see that Thornton's shoulder hits Davey's chin because Davey is so short. Doesn't matter if he was staging or not. Makes no difference to whether the infringement was there.

Since when was it "common sense" to not apply the rules? Everyone has a different idea of what common sense is, which is WHY WE HAVE RULES.
Either you clearly don't understand the game, or your bias has completely blinded you. Put the shoe on the other foot, if say Didak did the same thing against Daniher. I'd say your take on the incident would change.

The umpire 'could' have plucked out a dozen free kicks from that scuffle. How many blokes were grabbed by the scruff during that scuffle?? All of them I'd suggest... technically that's a holding free kick. None paid, and rightly so. There were a dozen bumps alone that were just as bad as Thornton's on Davey during that melee, and nobody fell to the ground, and no free kicks were paid. Davey received a free simply because he fell to the ground. If he stands on his feet, the umpire lets it go.

By your logic, if you get tapped on the shoulder 50m behind play "technically" that should be a free kick. That's exactly what is ruining the game. Some free advice, the game is not learnt by reading a rule book.

Either you clearly don't understand the game, or your bias has completely blinded you. Put the shoe on the other foot, if say Didak did the same thing against Daniher. I'd say your take on the incident would change.

Put it this way, if you're stupid enough to bump a player, and cop him high, immediately after the ump has signalled "All Clear", and right in his full view, then you deserve to give away another shot at goal via a free kick. What I honestly couldn't believe was that they were stupid enough to do it a second time. Don't go blaming the umpires for Carlton's stupidity.

The umpire 'could' have plucked out a dozen free kicks from that scuffle. How many blokes were grabbed by the scruff during that scuffle?? All of them I'd suggest... technically that's a holding free kick.

How many times have you seen a holding the man decision given away in that situation? I can't think of one. On the other hand, decking a player after he kicks at goal has always been a free kick.

None paid, and rightly so. There were a dozen bumps alone that were just as bad as Thornton's on Davey during that melee, and nobody fell to the ground, and no free kicks were paid. Davey received a free simply because he fell to the ground. If he stands on his feet, the umpire lets it go.

He didn't "fall" to the ground, he was knocked to the ground. Did he dive? I don't think so. If he did, then why didn't he get another free kick by diving the second time?

By your logic, if you get tapped on the shoulder 50m behind play "technically" that should be a free kick. That's exactly what is ruining the game. Some free advice, the game is not learnt by reading a rule book.

Now you're just being silly.

The umpire 'could' have plucked out a dozen free kicks from that scuffle. How many blokes were grabbed by the scruff during that scuffle?? All of them I'd suggest... technically that's a holding free kick. None paid, and rightly so. There were a dozen bumps alone that were just as bad as Thornton's on Davey during that melee, and nobody fell to the ground, and no free kicks were paid. Davey received a free simply because he fell to the ground. If he stands on his feet, the umpire lets it go.

How many players were shouldered on the chin in the scuffle? My guess would be one, genius.

Thanks for your advice, but it if wasn't rubbish I'd probably consider it. The game is definitely learnt by reading a rule book in conjunction with precedent. That free would be paid any day of the week.

Letting an incident like Thornton's go would set the game back, and that's not something most fans want to go back to. The only thing ruining the game is sooks like yourself stuck in the past.

Put it this way, if you're stupid enough to bump a player, and cop him high, immediately after the ump has signalled "All Clear", and right in his full view, then you deserve to give away another shot at goal via a free kick. What I honestly couldn't believe was that they were stupid enough to do it a second time. Don't go blaming the umpires for Carlton's stupidity.
The point is there were dozens of illegal bumps, plenty of illegal jumper pulling etc etc, prior to Davey getting a free. Because he fell to the ground, he was rewarded.

How many times have you seen a holding the man decision given away in that situation? I can't think of one. On the other hand, decking a player after he kicks at goal has always been a free kick.
Exactly my point. There are none given, nor should they. Decking a player:rolleyes:... Davey dived and you know it.

He didn't "fall" to the ground, he was knocked to the ground. Did he dive? I don't think so. If he did, then why didn't he get another free kick by diving the second time?
Watch the incident again. A dive of the highest order. Davey saw Thornton coming, braced himself for the bump, then simply threw himself to the ground upon contact. He could quite easily have held his ground. That constitutes a dive in my book. The second time, although tempted, he didn't throw himself to the ground. He threw himself backward, yes, and the contact was about the same as previous, yet a free wasn't paid because he DIDN'T go to ground. The difference with the two is that he got a free first time round for throwing himself to ground, second time round he didn't go to ground and therefore didn't get a free. Same contact was made. The point is, umpires are effectively paying free kicks for players falling over. It only promotes diving.

Now you're just being silly.
Just making the point that common sense needs to be employed in umpiring. It's not that difficult.

How many players were shouldered on the chin in the scuffle? My guess would be one, genius.

Thanks for your advice, but it if wasn't rubbish I'd probably consider it. The game is definitely learnt by reading a rule book in conjunction with precedent. That free would be paid any day of the week.

Letting an incident like Thornton's go would set the game back, and that's not something most fans want to go back to. The only thing ruining the game is sooks like yourself stuck in the past.

HAHAHA!! :D:D

How is shouldered on the chin different to grabbing of the jumper, or grabbing someone by the scruff of the neck?? All are illegal... why wasn't any jumper grabbing paid?? The difference is that one player FELL to ground. He didn't pay the second free kick because Davey DIDN'T FALL to ground. Same contact, different result. Fact is, the game rewards players who cheat. If you reckon Davey was struck forcefully enough to give him no alternative but to go to ground, then your knowledge of football and concept of basic common sense is about in keeping with what I perceive it to be.

Read your rule book all you want pal, it will not advance your knowledge one iota. It doesn't give you a feel for the game, which you clearly lack.

They let Waite's bump go, and no-one seems to be upset about it... They pay Thornton's and people are howling about it. What does this tell you?? There's a difference between the game progressing, and turning it into soccer where whoever is the best at conning referees is most likely to win the game.

Decking a player:rolleyes:... Davey dived and you know it.

You're ignoring the fact that the contact was high. The fact he was knocked off his feet was obviously part of the reason the decision was given, but you can't simply ignore high contact when it suits you. Personally, I don't think he dived. There's not much of the man, and I reckon I could knock him to the ground quite easily. Thornton wouldn't have had any trouble at all.

But you seem to have missed the point I was making earlier. There's no good being pissed at the umpires for paying a free kick that has a long precedent, or Davey for taking what you think is a dive. You should be angry at Thornton, for giving it away in the first place. You should also be angry at the complete idiot who did the same thing right after Davey goaled.

HAHAHA!! :D:D

How is shouldered on the chin different to grabbing of the jumper, or grabbing someone by the scruff of the neck?? All are illegal... why wasn't any jumper grabbing paid?? The difference is that one player FELL to ground. He didn't pay the second free kick because Davey DIDN'T FALL to ground. Same contact, different result. Fact is, the game rewards players who cheat. If you reckon Davey was struck forcefully enough to give him no alternative but to go to ground, then your knowledge of football and concept of basic common sense is about in keeping with what I perceive it to be.

Read your rule book all you want pal, it will not advance your knowledge one iota. It doesn't give you a feel for the game, which you clearly lack.

They let Waite's bump go, and no-one seems to be upset about it... They pay Thornton's and people are howling about it. What does this tell you?? There's a difference between the game progressing, and turning it into soccer where whoever is the best at conning referees is most likely to win the game.

You're the one without a feel for the game pal. Most sensible footy fans agree that it should have been paid, and also agree that Waite's should also have been paid. If two players are grabbing each other by the jumper, how do you pay one and not the other? There's no precedent there for an umpire to make a decision. There is a clear precedent with Davey's bump on the chin. Thornton was reckless.

You make the assumption that Davey was paid because he fell to the ground - ridiculous. It was the type of contact made that warranted the free. And don't go repeating that he didn't get the free the next time because he didn't fall to the ground. I fully believe the umpire either didn't see it (unlikely) or chose not to pay it because he thought another free would be too much (more likely, but I disagree with this decision - if you pay one, you have to pay the next).

You're ignoring the fact that the contact was high. The fact he was knocked off his feet was obviously part of the reason the decision was given, but you can't simply ignore high contact when it suits you. Personally, I don't think he dived. There's not much of the man, and I reckon I could knock him to the ground quite easily. Thornton wouldn't have had any trouble at all.

But you seem to have missed the point I was making earlier. There's no good being pissed at the umpires for paying a free kick that has a long precedent, or Davey for taking what you think is a dive. You should be angry at Thornton, for giving it away in the first place. You should also be angry at the complete idiot who did the same thing right after Davey goaled.
I'm not ignoring the high contact at all... and he wasn't knocked over. He was bumped and could easily have stood on his feet, but chose to fall over in a successful attempt at conning the umpire. He knew full well that if he stood on his feet that he was no chance of getting a free. The point I am making is that the umpire could have pulled out several free kicks beforehand, either to Carlton or Essendon, but rightfully chose not to, because players were having a bit of a scuffle... that happens in the game. Many of those earlier infringements were of the same nature as the Davey one, yet weren't given, simply because the players involved stood on their feet.

The key point of my whole argument is that players are rewarded if they blatantly cheat, and fall to ground. I am angry at the umpires because they appear unable to differentiate between a player being forced to ground, and when they choose to go to ground. Thornton bumped different players about 10 times during that whole incident, why should I be pissed off at him because Davey chose to fall over??

You're the one without a feel for the game pal. Most sensible footy fans agree that it should have been paid, and also agree that Waite's should also have been paid. If two players are grabbing each other by the jumper, how do you pay one and not the other? There's no precedent there for an umpire to make a decision. There is a clear precedent with Davey's bump on the chin. Thornton was reckless.

You make the assumption that Davey was paid because he fell to the ground - ridiculous. It was the type of contact made that warranted the free. And don't go repeating that he didn't get the free the next time because he didn't fall to the ground. I fully believe the umpire either didn't see it (unlikely) or chose not to pay it because he thought another free would be too much (more likely, but I disagree with this decision - if you pay one, you have to pay the next).

Surely this is jocular?? Please take your red and black glasses off.

It's pretty simple. If Davey didn't fall over the first time, the kick wouldn't have been paid. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. The fact that the second kick wasn't paid comprehensively franks my argument.

Sorry, but if you think that soft, 'technically correct' free kicks should be paid, then you really have no place to comment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rd 3: Carlton v Essendon Umpiring discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back