- Drinking XXXX Gold

- Drinking Little Creatures with acuguy

- Listening to a conversation between Chris Judd and his wife

- Listening to a conversation between Chris Judd and Marc Murphy

- Listening to a monologue by Chris Judd

- Lions board match day threads

- Lions board match review threads

- Wondering who that bloke is in my avatar

Anyway, having taken one for the team and watched replays of both the Lions and Tigers games, it is time to get on with the job.

Other than ordinary form, the one thing these clubs currently share is a mutual appreciation for the Carlton Footy Club. Without Mick, Marc and their Merry Men, the spotlight in Melbourne would be well and truly on the boys from Punt Rd. Meanwhile, up in God’s country, the spotlight never wavers from the Brisbane Broncos which allows the Lions to escape relatively unscathed, despite two desperately poor performances and what appears to be a long road to recovery.

Both sides can be justified in shaking their fists furiously at the heavens, having had an ordinary run with injuries thus far in 2014. Maric and Leuenberger are top 10 ruckmen in the league and neither will play. Deledio and Rich would be their respective side’s most penetrative midfielder – Deledio is listed as a test and Rich is out. Both fullbacks are out (one with injury, the other with a case of stupidity). Both sides have 10 players listed as injured or requiring a test. Most are best 22 on close to it. And I suspect neither side has the depth to counter those sort of absences.

Despite being completely uncompetitive last week (the scoreboard actually did the Tigers a favour IMO because they looked deplorable for most of the game), Richmond actually won the contested footy stats against the Pies. However, for whatever reason (fitness, confidence, wherewithal), they did not seem capable of running into space and providing options. They were described as “lethargic” and that fits perfectly. Richmond at its best wins the footy and then spreads hard. All year, they’ve done OK in contested footy and are actually one of the most effective clearance sides in the comp. Yet, having done the hard work inside, they seem incapable of capitalising on the outside. Their ball movement is stilted and they don’t create overlap run, allowing the opposition time to work back and cover options.

If this sounds familiar, it is because it mirrors the Lions’ performances in the first 2 rounds, where a competitive effort inside the contest was undone by run and ball movement or a lack thereof. Even last week, while the Lions copped a shellacking in just about every area of play, they actually only lost clearances 35-32 a stat which stands out like the proverbial dog’s balls considering the dominance of Port in every facet of play.

I believe Richmond’s issues are probably just a combination of no confidence and a lack of work rate. That is far more easily remedied that the Lions’ issues which are more to do with a complete lack of understanding of gameplan, immaturity, structural issues up forward and a base line level of skill across the 22 which is not at senior standard. Until the Lions can get some senior experience back in the side (who’d have thought that Luke McGuane would be seen as somewhat a saviour!), then we’ll struggle to beat time with a stick.

Notwithstanding these problems, plus the fact that the Lions travelled interstate and play after a 5 day break, I’m not completely discounting an upset. Based on the last two weeks, the thought of a Lions upset seems ridiculous. But the hole Richmond is in will take some time to climb out of. Given this match is at the Gabba, there is a tiny bit of hope that something out of the box could happen. Certainly, the bookies think so with Richmond ($1.30) not favoured as heavily as I thought they would given the Lions’ struggles and lack of personnel.

If the Lions are going to win, it will come down to (a) enthusiasm returning to rd 1-2 levels and (b) substantially better ball movement. If nothing else, the Lions under Leppitsch have started games well. If we can get a couple of goals on the board early, the fragile Richmond psyche might come into play.

However, it is near impossible to tip the Lions in any sort of informed way. In reality, most Lions supporters will simply be satisfied with a competitive performance and more signs from the kids who, after all, have been thrown in at the deep end.

Richmond by 6 goals.

Well at least we got some FTA coverage for once. Hopefully we can at least be competitive.

It's PFK Prediction time!

1st Quarter: Lions to kick the first two goals, then get steam rolled.
2nd Quarter: More steamrolling. Team starting to resemble paper.
3rd Quarter: Most Lions supporters turn off, when BAM! Towards the end of the quarter Patfull smothers a Jack Riewoldt certain goal, gathers it and bombs it long in what looks like a hope and pray situation - but no, it's because he's spotted Zorko all by himself. Zorks bolts to the 50 and kicks a goal.
4th Quarter: Richmond have no answers to the brick wall that is Joel Patfull - everything that goes into Richmonds forward 50 gets chewed up and spat back out for a Lions goal at the other end.

Lions by 10!

Excellent review their POBT although I thought the XXXX gold reference a bit of a stretch.

Part of me wants to believe that we can bounce back at the gabba and sneak a win. The rest of me seems resigned (or re-signed if you were to take the meaning of the two words by their usage on this board) to a fairly significant loss once again. I just hope we see some better signs from our senior players this week.

Great effort on the preview POBT - needed some cheering up. :thumbsu:

Haven't beaten Richmond since Round 7, 2009. And the "hey, at least we can beat Gold Coast" quip is pretty much dead in the water. *sigh*

Jack to come into some form and kick a bag (would prefer Paine, but am thinking Riewoldt).

Lester with 35 possesion 3 goal game.
Taylor with 26 possesions and two goals for rising star.
Lions by 23

Richmond by 75. Cotchin 40 possessions and 3 goals, 30 touches and 3 goals for Martin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even with the afore mentioned confession I will still be imposing rigorous standards of performance when marking this weeks preview.
Paralles to? “The Doors of Perception is a short book by Aldous Huxley, first published in 1954, detailing his experiences when taking mescaline. The book takes the form of Huxley's recollection of a mescaline trip that took place over the course of an afternoon, and takes its title from a phrase in William Blake's 1793 poem The Marriage of Heaven and Hell."

However, for whatever reason (fitness, confidence, wherewithal), they did not seem capable of running into space and providing options.
Wherewithal; an underrated highlight of your preview POBT – Run into space and provide options – a well meant, well intentioned, and in most cases eminently sincere plan for both teams on Thursday but… progression in life is often impossible without contraries – for us over the last couple of weeks has been more of a - what once was space gets quickly turned into a two against one by shrewd opposition zoning.
One needs to ask, when will Mensa testing become part of the player profile testing come combine time? Dare I say it, lauded be the coach that teaches their team to find the wherewithal to translate vision into substance, for they will not only win the quarter but ultimately win the game!

Under the circumstances or should that be influences? POBT recalls the insights he experienced, which range from the "purely aesthetic" to "sacramental vision". He also incorporates later reflections on the experience and its meaning for footy as a religion. - with BIG apologies to wiki ;)

Either way, another brilliant preview. :thumbsu:

Sad when I am going into a match saying "Just win 1 quarter"

I think with our injuries and confidence, we have to forget about a win this week and just focus on winning one 30 minute patch of footy.

In saying that, if the 30 minute patch is the first quarter, you never know!!!!

Surely it's now highly unlikely Leuenberger will play again this season.

How many more years can we sit him out for the year, I think part of his confidence issues the first 4 weeks were simply he just doesn't get on the park enough to get confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back