Preview Rd 8 Geelong v Melbourne Sat May 4th 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out: Parfitt.

Some of his tackle efforts were lame.
agree he had some walk thru's but he wasnt alone there - Kolo and SDK had some too - and they aint getting dropped for it.

Ill give Parf another go this week especially with PFD out. He was ok V Blues - would want to lift back up again and his defensive worj is still pretty on point.

GO Catters

In: Stewart Rohan
Out: Dangerfield Dempsey

FB: Stewart De Koning J.Henry
HB: Duncan Kolo Z.Guthrie
C: Holmes C.Guthrie Blicavs
HF: Stengle Cameron Miers
FF: O.Henry Hawkins Rohan
FOL: Stanley Bruhn Bowes
IC: Close Tuohy Atkins O'Connor Parfitt(sub)

Agree with that team. Bit of a shame we have got to the point where all the green horns - Dempsey, Clark, Conway, Neale, Mullin, COS etc - could be all out of the team but if we can go WW for the next two we can start managing players and sprinkling them back in.

Parfitt doesn't deserve to be dropped off 1 poor game when he has been brilliant this year

Danger out in Stewart Guthrie into the mids will be the most likely out come

Atkins into the 22 Parfitt or Dempsey sub would prefer Dempsey gets a full rest though

What i would do

In Stewart Rohan/Neale
Out Danger inj Dempsey rest
Atkins into the 22 Parfitt sub

Regarding Stanley and Conway i would be doing this Schedule if we can

Melb Stanley
Port Conway
Suns Conway
GWS Stanley
Rich Conway
Sydney Stanley

Bye which we can reassess for the second half

Parfitt doesn't deserve to be dropped off 1 poor game when he has been brilliant this year

Danger out in Stewart Guthrie into the mids will be the most likely out come

Atkins into the 22 Parfitt or Dempsey sub would prefer Dempsey gets a full rest though

What i would do

In Stewart Rohan/Neale
Out Danger inj Dempsey rest
Atkins into the 22 Parfitt sub

Regarding Stanley and Conway i would be doing this Schedule if we can

Melb Stanley
Port Conway
Suns Conway
GWS Stanley
Rich Conway
Sydney Stanley

Bye which we can reassess for the second half
I'd do the opposite. We can't afford Stanley another performance like that against Gawn, nor can we afford to lose clearance that badly again either. At least Conway will get his fair share of taps.

That's the worst game I've seen Rhys play in a while and doesn't deserve to hold his place ... Pittonet of all people gave him a bath.

Brilliant is a stretch. He's been decent.
I'd do the opposite. We can't afford Stanley another performance like that against Gawn, nor can we afford to lose clearance that badly again either. At least Conway will get his fair share of taps.

That's the worst game I've seen Rhys play in a while and doesn't deserve to hold his place ... Pittonet of all people gave him a bath.
Conway's tank on the G worries me. Watched him live on Saturday. Sucking in the big ones 2nd half.

Brilliant is a stretch. He's been decent.

Conway's tank on the G worries me. Watched him live on Saturday. Sucking in the big ones 2nd half.
Conway's tank worries me. How much more can he build it? His lack of aerobic capacity doesn't look to be fitness to me.

Stewart straight back in. Guthrie to move into midfield to replace Dangerfield, so it effectively makes Stewart take Cam's role from the weekend.

Rohan to return and cause havoc, creating a mismatch. I would say Dempsey could be rested simply for management purposes. He's had a lot of miles and minutes so far. Stengle, Close and Miers can all push up the ground.

Atkins into the starting line up as a contested pressure player, fresh from fewer minutes on the weekend. His efforts late in the game against Melbourne last year were legendary. Parfitt looked a bit jaded so maybe they can swap and he comes on as a sub.

Stanley plays better with at least a little continuity so I'd back him in against Gawn (with help from Blicavs) and then bring Conway in against Port.

In: Stewart Rohan
Out: Dangerfield Dempsey

FB: Stewart De Koning J.Henry
HB: Duncan Kolo Z.Guthrie
C: Holmes C.Guthrie Blicavs
HF: Stengle Cameron Miers
FF: O.Henry Hawkins Rohan
FOL: Stanley Bruhn Bowes
IC: Close Tuohy Atkins O'Connor Parfitt(sub)
I think you could have nailed it. Dempsey will no doubt get a rest sometime over the next few games - it will just be a matter of MC determining when best time for him and maybe match up. He has been valuable in his sprint efforts (our top each week) on the wing but maybe with less damaging Melbourne forward line not needed as much (and someone else can step in?).

Plus Rohan does have to get a shot. Maybe as sub? Although getting Parfitt a rest via sub is also smart

I am not 100% sure that Stewart will be back. They will be conservative and at 7-0 there is no point taking any risks at all. Again I reckon our backline handles Demons forwards without him.

Rohan has a great record v Melbourne, was BOG against them last year in the game Jezza was knocked out, reckon we will be really keen to get him in after what sounds like a strong showing in the VFL.

I wouldn't be opposed to moving Dempsey to sub to manage his minutes.

Cam Guth to the middle and Atkins to play a full game to help negate the loss of Danger are no brainers.

The idea of resting another veteran is appealing, but who? Stanley and Tuohy have both been managed recently, Blitz is desperately needed to counter Gawn, Duncan is building into good form, Cam Guth has only just returned. If Hawkins is carrying some type of injury, him out for Neale could be an option.
I went from supporting your view to never wanting Rohan and Jezza to play in the same team again. That ruined our back to back aspirations. Jezza to this game last year was seen as the best player in the competition. Jezza this year is clearly the best player in the competition.

So if Rohan is in, I want to rest Jezza!! 😳

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MC may want Guthrie to have a couple of games at half back before putting him back in the middle.
They might give Stewart another week to make certain he has recovered. In that case Guthrie will have another one in the backline

Conway's tank worries me. How much more can he build it? His lack of aerobic capacity doesn't look to be fitness to me.

There’s no much he can do in-season but if he gets a good run next pre-season he can build it considerably for the 2025 campaign.

He’s tracking fine but IMO this season is really about gaining experience to be no.1 next year, being ready if called upon, and ideally playing enough to keep Stanley fresh/healthy for the finals.

It cannot get worse than getting your arse comprehensively and completely handed to you by Pittonet.

Conway.

I don’t mind the idea of giving Stewart another week given where we are at. Was probably more of a need vs Carlton and we got through that. Melbourne will probably lower the eyes and we have players that can cover the role.
It’s rare nowadays to only have a week off for concussion. Brain health comes first

So I have been thinking about the “squad” rotation being discussed regularly.

Coming with BF family calls for a lot of players to get a game “Knocking down the door”. “See how they go at the level”. “Deserving”…. Collating that list… of those who were not in the 23 (24 including Stewart) saturday

Hardie, Knevitt, Mannagh, Neale, Conway, Clark., Mullin and then the coach says Bew “will play this year” and we have Lawson and COS who we would all want to find a game for not to mention one of my VFL favs in Ted… to stop his brother getting all the glory!

That is 11 players who the BF family would want to get a game and half of them would want multiple games.

Now let’s assume we always have 1 injury to that “best 24” (swapping Stewart for Danger this week)… I can’t see us resting more than 2 players each week ever. In fact going back over history I reckon it is closer to 1 player a week average

So just to back my view up my view looking back to 2022 after the bye. Our “poster child” for managing the squad. In 10 round we had 26 changes of which 8 were omissions (eg narkle, Stephens, Neale, Ceglar, Higgins, Dal etc. all genuine omissions who played VFL next week). We have 6 managed in 4 of those 10 games. In fact 5 of those game in the last 3 rounds (after we had won 7 straight!) leading into finals. We also had 1 suspension and a few of the injuries were “soft” to key players (illness, niggles) so I think we get to the average of 1 per round with max of 2 in any round…

And it was largely the same in and outs (squad of 26 not 30 players!). The “equivalent” 27-30 players then of Dempsey/Knevitt etc did not get a look in. Stephens and Frank got a couple of looks between them. But it was best 22 with the emergencies (Higgins, Dal, Narkle) getting rotated in along with Ceglar as a chop out for Stanley.

So in my mind the notion that managing the sqaud somehow gets players in that 28-35 on the list games doesn’t stack up to history - without injuries. You can manage (by definition) 2 a week (which they won’t do every week) and have 1 injury and use 26 players. On top of that some have specific roles (ie. Conway for Stanley and Neale for KPF) to rotate in and out.

What I am saying I suppose is that without injuries I just don’t see a lot of players on our wish list getting a look. The management squad for my mind will come from the 24 (including Stewart) and 3 emergencies (Neale, Clark, Conway). Remembering also that we can use the sub as a “management” tool. If they go outside of that 26/27 players then they will be managing too much in terms of not having continuity of the team?

Anyway just a thought bubble

So I have been thinking about the “squad” rotation being discussed regularly.

Coming with BF family calls for a lot of players to get a game “Knocking down the door”. “See how they go at the level”. “Deserving”…. Collating that list… of those who were not in the 23 (24 including Stewart) saturday

Hardie, Knevitt, Mannagh, Neale, Conway, Clark., Mullin and then the coach says Bew “will play this year” and we have Lawson and COS who we would all want to find a game for not to mention one of my VFL favs in Ted… to stop his brother getting all the glory!

That is 11 players who the BF family would want to get a game and half of them would want multiple games.

Now let’s assume we always have 1 injury to that “best 24” (swapping Stewart for Danger this week)… I can’t see us resting more than 2 players each week ever. In fact going back over history I reckon it is closer to 1 player a week average

So just to back my view up my view looking back to 2022 after the bye. Our “poster child” for managing the squad. In 10 round we had 26 changes of which 8 were omissions (eg narkle, Stephens, Neale, Ceglar, Higgins, Dal etc. all genuine omissions who played VFL next week). We have 6 managed in 4 of those 10 games. In fact 5 of those game in the last 3 rounds (after we had won 7 straight!) leading into finals. We also had 1 suspension and a few of the injuries were “soft” to key players (illness, niggles) so I think we get to the average of 1 per round with max of 2 in any round…

And it was largely the same in and outs (squad of 26 not 30 players!). The “equivalent” 27-30 players then of Dempsey/Knevitt etc did not get a look in. Stephens and Frank got a couple of looks between them. But it was best 22 with the emergencies (Higgins, Dal, Narkle) getting rotated in along with Ceglar as a chop out for Stanley.

So in my mind the notion that managing the sqaud somehow gets players in that 28-35 on the list games doesn’t stack up to history - without injuries. You can manage (by definition) 2 a week (which they won’t do every week) and have 1 injury and use 26 players. On top of that some have specific roles (ie. Conway for Stanley and Neale for KPF) to rotate in and out.

What I am saying I suppose is that without injuries I just don’t see a lot of players on our wish list getting a look. The management squad for my mind will come from the 24 (including Stewart) and 3 emergencies (Neale, Clark, Conway). Remembering also that we can use the sub as a “management” tool. If they go outside of that 26/27 players then they will be managing too much in terms of not having continuity of the team?

Anyway just a thought bubble
A good thought bubble.

Lets go boys "Lucky Lobster" 8-0

homer simpson GIF

My thought bubble if we get to GC 9-0 with GWS to come at home.

Mullin SDK Zuthrie
Holmes COS Humphries
Knevitt Clark Mannagh
Conway Hardie Bowes
Dempsey Neale Miers
Stengle OHenry Wiltshire

Bruhn Close Clohesy Willis
Bews

Knock over them all at once ;)

He's been off his feet for the best part of two years.

Club being very cautious with him, as they should.

This guy could be generational, I'd rather we take our time than ruin him early.

The tank will come, just needs the continuity that he has now for another year or so to build fitness.

The bloke is 21, he's a toddler in ruckman terms.

Might not be his time yet, but in a couple years when he's tapping it down the throat of Bruhn, Clark, Holmes, & dare I say LDU...it's going to be a thing of beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back