Preview Rd7 Carlton v St.Kilda Monday 14th May 7.40pm @ Etihad - Final Team - post #282

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rd. 7 St.Kilda v Carlton Monday 14th. May 7.40pm @ Etihad

I'm a bit concerned about our clearance work of late. We have been absolutely annihilated in there the last few weeks. Surely it can't just be put down to missing Carrazzo, even though he's a very important cog in our midfield. We really need to get it right tis week otherwise we will find it hard to win, as the Saints mid has some quality in there still.

I agree. The talent is there I just think the boys have been mentally weak of late. A lot of players playing for themselves and not doing the 1%'s.

Winning clearances in the VFL =/= Winning clearances in the AFL

He won 8 against Essendon, the second most on the ground.

What everyone criticises him about is his speed

I thought it was interesting that both ruckmen effectively played the ball today, with little resting forward. I suspect that will change next week and yet I wonder if thats part of the plan to prepare for Warnock to return.

Hampson spent more time in the middle than I think he will moving forward, that was perhaps a plan to give Kreuzer a less taxing game but he just works himself into the ground.

The three ruckman debate rears its head in almost every thread on the Carlton Board. But after yesterday I think the case for playing Hampson as a permanent forward is getting stronger for the following reasons.

- Hampson: is dangerous around goals both in the air and on the ground. Some times he is a little untidy but in the forward line this isn't so problematic with Eddie Jeff and Walks swooping on the deck.
- Kreuzer: Much tidier in the middle of the ground, also reads it better defensivley, and is better at stoppages. Also as much I love him (favourite players) I don't actually know if he is a natural goal kicker.

We can't play 3 'ruckman', we can play 2 ruckman and a tall forward.

He won 8 against Essendon, the second most on the ground.

What everyone criticises him about is his speed

Not just that but also what he did with those clearances. There's no point getting a clearance if you're going to set your team mate up with hospital handballs and bombs to nowhere in the hope of finding someone.

The INS are easy

the OUTS are harder...

#1 Lucas really let himself and the side down against GWS - he played soft against kids. The two handed tap outs were signs of showboating and taking easy options - every time leading to turnovers and pressure on other players on back foot. I mark him as OK in attacking situaitotns and very second rate regardign defence and pressure - at this stage of his development.

Duigan isn't running with same spark as last year- but he is also missing natural partner in Laidler - Duigan is a better pick than Bower every time and needs time on field to make up for lack of pre season. We will need him firing for big games coming and finals.

* I would love to be proven wrong here over the next few months: Bower is being given every chance - maybe someone needs to teach him how to take a mark, not play behind taller opponents and how to run straight. He lacks speed off the mark, - an essential element for any defensive rebound player, but gathers speed as he runs - usually sideways. BTW he isnt a rebound player if he runs sideways - he is a player that is looslely marked ie he is #1 source of providing +1 man for other teams ) because other teams WANT him to have the ball as Carltons #1 T/O and bad decision making king. We will (likely) persevere with Bower which means ( unfortunately)

#2 because of Ratts love affair with Bower - Thornton out - even though Thornton can take a mark forward and is a better defensive player than Bower - he lacks leg speed - my only criticism of him.

#3 - Boots(ma) what a fabulous long racking kick and a natural competitiveness he has - needs to put on 10 kilos to become a star for us over the next couple of years - expect to see him given more sub time on lower ranked teams.

#4 pick from JR , Ellard, Jospeh - these guys know that they are on periphery and are playing accordingly. Ellard provides potential for one goal a game but isnt running as hard or playing as hard as last year. Joseph a good run with defender - but Tuohey probably has more versatility and class.

JR is the mystery man - went missing for long stretches against GWS - but also did some great things - and has class. Would rather see him play if he could get some confidence in himself and some rebound running - a much cooler head than Bower.

There was one hospital ball to Scotto in that game. He was good in close and got free plenty of times. The big issue is his defensive side and run, pure and simple.

Lucas kicked 2 goals as well when we couldnt hit the side of a barn door early. Thornton wouldnt have any better legspeed than Bower, and I believe Bower is considerably quicker - case in pont being his 50m run and goal from outside 50 yesterday.

Bower is coming along fine.

Didn't like the two instances when Sugar tried to tap the ball to a teammate for it to be turned over on both occasions. I get a feeling Ratts hates that too :) He's actually probably applied more pressure in the forward line than Garlett so far though. Jeffy was great when he had a spell in the midfield half way through the game. Wouldn't mind seeing Jeffy play more on a wing next week.

When it works it looks great, like Thornton in the Elim Final to a runner zooming past only centimeters away. Not when you're in the air fading backwards and trying to open palm it 2 metres Sugar! He did kick goals when we need them, he has been good at this all year except for when he missed two crucial ones against the Dons. I'd back him in more than Simmo's set shots though.

Ellard had 11 tackles btw, surely he retains his spot for this week at least.

IN: Judd, Curnow, Yarran, Waite
OUT: Lucas, Russell, Bootsma, Thornton

No midfielders out and two come in.

OK. So currently this is our Best 22 IMO:

B: Laidler Jamison Yarran
HB: Bower Henderson Scotland
C: Simpson Carazzo Robinson
HF: Walker Waite Gibbs
F: Betts Hampson Garlett
R: Kreuzer Judd Murphy
I/C: Russell, Thornton, Curnow S: Armfield

Which would mean for this week, given neither Carazzo or Laidler line up:

OUT: Ellard, Joseph, Bootsma, Lucas

IN: Judd, Waite, Yarran, Curnow.

Ellard battled gainfully and certainly can tackle, but I'm still getting Bentick vibes. Largely ineffective with pill in hand. Curnow a direct replacement

Joseph had his moments, but his disposal was a liability at times, can't carry him Armfield, Tuohy and Yarran and I feel he has the least to offer of the four.

Bootsma showed a lot for a debut, but this was always a one week prospect. Waite to come in and make our forward line work again.

Lucas omission is mostly because he doesn't offer as much versatility as Armfield or Tuohy, who both can do defensive jobs. Judd comes in, I hear he can play.

Was just coming here to post about a couple of times when Lucas tried to tap the ball to advantage but it looks like you guys are all over it.

I think Lucas will become a good player but those efforts just looked so soft. Not only did they not go to where he intended but they probably ended up in the oppositions hands. I would rather see him take the ball even if he is tackled straight away. Its much better to have a stoppage than hit it straight to an oppenent.

Needs to become alot harder if he wants to get a game every week.

Was just coming here to post about a couple of times when Lucas tried to tap the ball to advantage but it looks like you guys are all over it.

I think Lucas will become a good player but those efforts just looked so soft. Not only did they not go to where he intended but they probably ended up in the oppositions hands. I would rather see him take the ball even if he is tackled straight away. Its much better to have a stoppage than hit it straight to an oppenent.

The other advantage of taking the ball is that it draws the man into the tackle and even if its a take and then handball to space once tackled it would leave his team mate with a paddock. ..

Edit: Even if those taps had come off and gone to his team mate, then the tackler would have nailed the team mate instead. ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to see one just one break out game from Lucas to give me an idea of what's so special about him that he was taken with our top pick 3 years ago.

The only thing that he can hang his hat on is the ability to pop up and kick a goal or 2 but his efforts around the ground have been very disappointing. Frawley said he was a very good user of the ball yesterday but when I saw him kick inside 50 straight to a giants player I thought he's kidding himself.

If he isn't dropped this week he has to step up or he will be out for the Adelaide game.

I would like to see one just one break out game from Lucas to give me an idea of what's so special about him that he was taken with our top pick 3 years ago.

The only thing that he can hang his hat on is the ability to pop up and kick a goal or 2 but his efforts around the ground have been very disappointing. Frawley said he was a very good user of the ball yesterday but when I saw him kick inside 50 straight to a giants player I thought he's kidding himself.

If he isn't dropped this week he has to step up or he will be out for the Adelaide game.

Check out last years Round 24 game against St Kilda. Had 27 posessions, and used it pretty well. Dropped the next week for the Essendon final.

Plenty to work with and well worth persisting, reads the ball well, has a good turn of pace and knows what he should be doing. Problem is his execution is largely sub-par.

I reckon it will come with time, and that we should lay off the pressure

You watch Lucas and he has all the tools, decent kick, great overhead, can get into space. The one thing lacking from his game is the contested ball.

Was ok in his first year, second year ruined by injury and has just been good enough to not get dropped this year.

He is a player for the future if he can improve a little, currently sitting in the 20-25 range on the list.

Reckon we can handle them at either end but the middle will be crucial, particularly with our recent losses in the clearances.

Saints still have some good players in there who use the ball well so I wouldn't want to be giving them any leg up at the stoppages.

Unfortunately in Carrots absence Judd is probably the only player we can rely on to do the job Carrots was doing which obviously robs us of Judd's outside work from the early rounds.

Bet he's spewing Carrots got injured.

Ins are obvious so I'd assume the likes of Ellard and AJ for Judd and Ed. Didn't see the game on the weekend so I'll defer to others in terms of who would come out for Yazz and Waite.

You watch Lucas and he has all the tools, decent kick, great overhead, can get into space. The one thing lacking from his game is the contested ball.

Was ok in his first year, second year ruined by injury and has just been good enough to not get dropped this year.

He is a player for the future if he can improve a little, currently sitting in the 20-25 range on the list.
Similar type in shape/style to Dale Thomas and he was able to turn around his early "soft tag" somewhat but it took MM really putting the acid on him!

Hopefully Lucas can turn it around also as I think he can develop into a real player with his athleticism and developing skill level.

I still think he should keep those options open, just needed to execute alot better, but the one near the centre and used two hands to tap, lost his footing, play the percentages and take the ball to ground.

Lucas has had half a dozen senior matches to make his case. The jury on this board overwhelmingly finds him guilty of softness. No doubt the MC is also aware of this. If ever there was a time to send someone to the VFL to work on their deficiencies for a few weeks this is it. Not as punishment but as development.

There will always be a few blokes in the senior team who are struggling a bit but being given a chance to click into gear. At the moment I would include Duigan, Russell, Bower and even Tuohy in this group. While its good management in a lot of ways it is also risky because if they all have howlers at once your whole structure is in trouble. With Lucas in that group as well it is a lot of players. Ellard, Jospeh and Army since his injury are also in marginal form.

We need a cull this week.

Ellard, Bootsma, Thornton, Lucas out

Four guns back in.

Id keep Thornton over Bower anyday. Also Lucas I would keep in. Joseph, Ellard, Bower and Bootsma out and in come Curnow, Waite, Yarran and maybe Judd if he proves hes up to AFL standard ;)

looking at the saints line-up, Fisher is out, McEvoy is also out. Is Blake injured as well?

No excesses in the ruck this week but our clearance work is going to have to increase 10 fold.

Saints have a couple of young kids that might slip under the radar, i like that Jack Stevens, really hits the contest.

Kosi looked like he has some touch again watching him against the Hawks. Jammo should be a good match up. He might be needed a little more in the ruck though.

Hopefully with Waite coming back in out forward structure looks a lot better. Saints still like to get numbers behind the ball and it just doesnt work kicking to Eddie or Jeff in a 2 on 1 contest.

Normally Carrots does a job on Dal Santo so will be interesting to see who gets that job, most like Armfield i would think.

Curnow might also have a crack at Lenny.

Going the other way I expect Clint Jones to go to Murphy as he normally did under Lyon.

Blues by 4 goals.

Id keep Thornton over Bower anyday. Also Lucas I would keep in. Joseph, Ellard, Bower and Bootsma out and in come Curnow, Waite, Yarran and maybe Judd if he proves hes up to AFL standard ;)

Suspect Joseph will be retained to cover Milne, cannot just rely on Rusty as who do you use if he gets a bath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back