RDFL Thread 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: R.d.f.l Thread 2008

The fact that they need to act quickly goes without saying. Having spoken to a couple of the younger guys myself, nothing is set in stone yet and at this stage they are still looking to stay with the Redbacks.

As far as the coaches are concerned I think that a comment like yours above is a little bit disrespectful. If you know the names then you would know that one of the applicants should be respected more than that and the other names are relatively unknown to this league, so it's a bit harsh to be labelling them as "not of great quality". I understand this is your opinion Pickles, but potting a person before they've even had a chance to either fail or succeed is a new low.

You start with a clean record when you take on a senior coaching role in a new league, the "unknown factor" can come in to it and with a fresh face sometimes comes fresh enthusiasm. Either way, we'll soon enough find out.

Sorry, my words were not properly put together. What I was meaning that their playing coach applications were not "superstars" on the field in other comps, some of less quality than the RDFL. As coaches, I have no idea of their capabilities.

lee james is a great player, but if i do remeber rightly they got beat in the grand final. will struggle to hold on to everyone from last year so would want to have picked up more than lee to be $1.40 favourites. i wouldnt mind taking a bit of the $6.50 for kangaroos. centrals @ $15 is ridiculous.

Sorry, my words were not properly put together. What I was meaning that their playing coach applications were not "superstars" on the field in other comps, some of less quality than the RDFL. As coaches, I have no idea of their capabilities.

As you should well know Matt that a good player doesn't mean automatically mean a good coach. The key when you are playing coach is to have suitably qualified guys on the magnetic board on the bench. Then you have to trust their collective judgement so it doesn't impact your own game. Saying this I reckon it reduces your influence in a game by 25% if you play and coach. So it is a tough gig. But the Redbacks are generally a well run club and would have ensured they came to the correct decision.

lee james is a great player, but if i do remeber rightly they got beat in the grand final. will struggle to hold on to everyone from last year so would want to have picked up more than lee to be $1.40 favourites. i wouldnt mind taking a bit of the $6.50 for kangaroos. centrals @ $15 is ridiculous.

Ridiculously too short or ridiculously great value?:confused:

As you should well know Matt that a good player doesn't mean automatically mean a good coach. The key when you are playing coach is to have suitably qualified guys on the magnetic board on the bench. Then you have to trust their collective judgement so it doesn't impact your own game. Saying this I reckon it reduces your influence in a game by 25% if you play and coach. So it is a tough gig. But the Redbacks are generally a well run club and would have ensured they came to the correct decision.

Spot on. The trouble is that if you employ a playing coach, you're basically employing them as a captain and a witches hat governor on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Therefore you need a quality assistant running the whiteboard and interchange. Unless you have a terrific club stalwart to do that, it means you probably have to employ someone to this job. So unless the player is a really capable player, you have to ask if it is really worth it to put him on as a playing coach.

A perfect example of a great playing coach these days is Alistair Meldrum at Heathcote. By his own admission he wasn't a great tactical coach, but the club put the right people on the interchange. Al got away with it because he was a great player and led by example on the field.

Big numbers on the track at the Rams, there lookin for a big year in 08 and are close to sign about 4 player for Wrfl, that played in Divvy 1 not 2 where the coach was from

Big numbers on the track at the Rams, there lookin for a big year in 08 and are close to sign about 4 player for Wrfl, that played in Divvy 1 not 2 where the coach was from

I am all for the rammers having a decent crack at it, and if Leroy can instil some of his playing magic and toughness into the boys they will give it a good shake. I do believe they need a hell of a lot more than 4 good players to achieve this. I wish I had a bit more to offer Leroy, it would be like the good ol' days... I have some good mates down there and I wish them all the best for 08.:thumbsu: Can anyone shed some light on the rest of his coaching staff and who is coaching the ressies.

I was down at the Romsey ground on Saturday and I must say, it was looking perfect. Green, lush and reasonably soft under foot. The boys playing cricket on it were raving about how good of condition it is in. This ground won't be a problem come start of the season 08. It is the best ground in the league hands down. You could play footy on it now.:thumbsu:

On another note, Romsey have appointed a President and a coach will be appointed by the end of this week. I attended an "Extraordinary General Meeting" yesterday, where all of the points of contention, ie. the fact that the President and Coaches positions hadn't been appointed, were bought to a head. The names will be announced on Friday. We will also have our training schedule arranged once the coaches position has been filled.

Everything seems to be getting back on track for the Redbacks, albeit a little later than first anticipated.

Do you have a name for the president position

looking forward to it too iceman27 - been far too long!!! was gooa to see ya at macs the other week though!!!

the no 1 rivalry in the rdfl is back!!!

Yeah was at macs on friday night and alot of the kilmore and wallan boys were very keen for it the rivallry to resume...it will be huge!:)

I am all for the rammers having a decent crack at it, and if Leroy can instil some of his playing magic and toughness into the boys they will give it a good shake. I do believe they need a hell of a lot more than 4 good players to achieve this. I wish I had a bit more to offer Leroy, it would be like the good ol' days... I have some good mates down there and I wish them all the best for 08.:thumbsu: Can anyone shed some light on the rest of his coaching staff and who is coaching the ressies.

Asst coach is his brother in law hasnt played for about 10 years and was a average twos when he did, dont think it was the right choice made by him name him as asst. Thats what afew people from around the club have said.

its gonna be a ripper - all the boys seem to get along pretty well too which is good for it - gonna be a long summer of sledging - myself and chazz are already lovin it haha!!!

Ooah yeah there was a fair bit of sledging friday night at the macs. How are you boys looking, many new recruits? Do you think yous will hold on to cornish, and whats collis's intensions, is he staying at kilmore?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Asst coach is his brother in law hasnt played for about 10 years and was a average twos when he did, dont think it was the right choice made by him name him as asst. Thats what afew people from around the club have said.

Bit disappointing he didn't look a bit deeper for an an assistant.. I know of at least one person who was interested and didn't get a look in...

Ooah yeah there was a fair bit of sledging friday night at the macs. How are you boys looking, many new recruits? Do you think yous will hold on to cornish, and whats collis's intensions, is he staying at kilmore?

from what i have gathered collis will be staying - not sure on cornish's intentions as i have only seen him at the coach's pres nite last monday, so not reading too much into the story last week. as for recruits we look to have secured 2 or 3 talls as well as one or two midfield types from there as well, i think they are all old friends of speersy and family of our assistants. also a chance of having robbie wittmer back for next year as he has been at training and from speaking with him looks a likely starter with us next year...but it is only november so wont be holding my breath....how are you guys lookin??

You doing ya push ups and sit ups Duff? I would never have even played a 2's game in my time if these targets were in place ;)

HUGE SCOOP!

Cornish signs on

by Matt Nicholls

KILMORE Football Club received a major coup on Tuesday morning when gun forward Dave Cornish announced he would continue with the Blues in 2008.
Speculation had mounted that Cornish would return to his former club Wallan if they were accepted into the Riddell District Football League.
Cornish, a sneaky small forward with terrific hands, was the leading goalkicker in the RDFL last season with 73 goals from 17 games.
Unbelievably, his tally would have exceeded the 100 mark if not for his poor inaccuracy earlier in the season.
In one game against Lancefield, he kicked 2.10 and one out of bounds on the full.
STRONG SIGNS
Cornish was one of around 60 footballers to attend a 'meet the coaches' night at J.J. Clancy Reserve on Monday night.
Incoming senor coach Campbell Speers impressed many with his presentation and expects to attract between 7-10 new senior footballers to the Blues in 2008.
Speers reinforced his motto that "the time is now" for Kilmore to win a premiership.
The coach was also able to announce that club president Dayson Carroll would coach the reserves.
Kilmore's pre-season training commences tonight and will continue on Monday and Wednesday evenings before the Christmas break.
For details contact Speers on 0417 152 371.

Great to see Dayson Carroll involved in a coaching role-great leadership from a president.

You doing ya push ups and sit ups Duff? I would never have even played a 2's game in my time if these targets were in place ;)

certainly have doona - handling the running fine - but even shocked myself when i found myself completing all the push ups sit ups and chin ups!! is it march yet :D

certainly have doona - handling the running fine - but even shocked myself when i found myself completing all the push ups sit ups and chin ups!! is it march yet :D

You and "The Gnome" doing push up's and chin up's, i would love to see. Kilmore must be doing alright, if you two are doing something other than sitting watching pr0n...

You and "The Gnome" doing push up's and chin up's, i would love to see. Kilmore must be doing alright, if you two are doing something other than sitting watching pr0n...

yet to receive confirmation on my myspace message trublue....and watching pr0n is fine, but i wont be working on my fore arms like another BF poster we know:D

Great to see Dayson Carroll involved in a coaching role-great leadership from a president.

Does anyone know what happened with Clears? I knew he was keen, thought he woulda re-applied, but I take it he either didn't or withdrew for Dayson to have to step in again. Sure does put a lot into the KFC, they're a dying breed in country footy blokes like Dayson.

Does anyone know what happened with Clears? I knew he was keen, thought he woulda re-applied, but I take it he either didn't or withdrew for Dayson to have to step in again. Sure does put a lot into the KFC, they're a dying breed in country footy blokes like Dayson.

I thought Cleary did a pretty good job last year considering the cattle he had. Dayson is a terrific club stalwart, but in one game I saw him play in last year all he did was mouth off at umpires. Not sure if he is a playing coach, I doubt it, but one thing that is pivotal in reserves footy is discipline. While Cleary was stiff, Dayson will do a good job.

I thought Cleary did a pretty good job last year considering the cattle he had. Dayson is a terrific club stalwart, but in one game I saw him play in last year all he did was mouth off at umpires. Not sure if he is a playing coach, I doubt it, but one thing that is pivotal in reserves footy is discipline. While Cleary was stiff, Dayson will do a good job.

Thanx for that, assuming he did apply but bombed out. I know he was pretty pumped when they apparently won at some joint (diggers/riddell??) for the first time in a decade or so. The last time we spoke he enjoyed the season and the fella's, hopefully this set back dont see him lost to footy.

huge news

bonnici to play for keilor in 2008

petran to play for kangaroos

climas to macedon

nicholls to kilmore

morgan to heathcote

robbie and anthony belcher to macedon

sullivan and burlak to sunbury lions

helmers to split from kangaroos

huge news

bonnici to play for keilor in 2008

petran to play for kangaroos

climas to macedon

nicholls to kilmore

morgan to heathcote

robbie and anthony belcher to macedon

sullivan and burlak to sunbury lions

helmers to split from kangaroos

Anything bold and italic is either untrue or no where near confirmed as yet as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back