RDFL Thread 2011 (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see McMahon's transfer complete. If he is fit he will be an incredible in for Riddell. Add Chooka Henry for the 2nd half of the year and it really puts Riddell in a strong postion in the run into the finals.

Been a couple of interesting clearances in the past week or so, Arnel Davis back to Diggers, not sure if he has been playing, but well known he is handy sort of pick up for the Burra if he does. Linton Kemp has left Kilmore again, but Robert Rowe returns. Last day of clearances today, will be interesting if there are any more late signings!!

This is how I see the ladder after the end of the home and away.

1) Romsey - may go undeafeated - they don't play Riddell again and have Sunbury and Macedon at home. Maybe the last round playing Diggers at Diggers their first loss. I won't tip against them - 18-0
2) Sunbury - Romsey and Riddell away will be tough. Still good enough for 2nd after losing some key players. 15-3
3) Riddell - will be happy with 3rd after injuries - with a couple of players to come in and 6th spot not looking very strong it will be a good spot to finish. They don't play Romsey again and out of the top 5 it is only Diggers they play away - 14-4
4) Diggers - play Sunbury, Romsey and Riddell - still if they can pick 2 of these up may pinch 3rd. The finals experts - a lot of team will be keeping on eye on where they finish - 14-4
5) Macedon - looking like another Diggers elimination final - would be a tough ask after the previous years. Finish with Romsey and Sunbury and also have Riddell away. - 12-6

There is a lot of interest in 3rd as well as 6th!! I think Wallen will pick up the last spot but I am not overly confident with Woodend also a great chance.

6) Wallen - think they will finish 6th - the round 17 game at home to Woodend is massive and may determine who gets 6th. - 8 -10
7) Woodend - has improved and is now a danger game - expecially at home. Play Diggers, Sunbury, Romsey and Riddell in a horror 4 weeks starting this Sat. If they can pinch one of these then 6th is a huge chance. - 7 - 11
8) Rockbank - 7 -11 - improving as a club and look to be on the right track.
9) Kilmore - 6 - 12
10) Melton - 5 - 13
11) Broady - 4 - 14
12)Lancefield - 0 - 18

Top 6: Romsey, Riddell, Sunbury Kanga's, Diggers, Macedon, Woodend.
Premiers: Romsey
Runners Up: Sunbury Kanga's
Bowen Medal: Green (Romsey) and Zerafa (Rockbank) from Galea (Wallan) and Robertson (Riddell).
Roughie: Sims (Diggers)
Goal Kicking: M. Davidson (Romsey)
Rising Gun: Sobotniki (Rockbank) and Johnson (Lancefield)
Biggest Improver 2nd half of year: Kilmore

Top 6 - Romsey, Riddell, Sunbury, Diggers, Macedon, Wallan
Premiers - Sunbury
Bowen Medal - Galea Wallan, Green Romesy, Fishendon Sunbury, Ross Riddell
Roughie - Strack Romesy
Goal Kicking - Davidson Romesy.

Round 10

Lancefield (0-9, 12th) Vs Riddell (6-3, 4th)
The Bombers travel to Lancefield Park to take on the struggling Tigers. The Bombers are motoring along nicely as always at this stage of the season and while their win/loss record isn't as clean as the past couple of years, they are right in the mix as proven by their narrow loss to the Redbacks and Roos who sit one and two. With the injury list reducing, the Bombers will be looking to hit their straps at the perfect time, heading into finals fit and firing. Brian Ruffell returned last week and will play a role in what is a very good forward line, he joins Mick Allen, Matt Baird and Rick Elliott as well as, at times, Peter Robertson, Haydn Ross and Troy Scoble, its a very dangerous forward set up that will take some stopping. The midfield has suffered from injury as well, but with Climas, Robertson and Casson all up and running, they are maintaining a solid group that has the ability to rotate through the middle. The biggest question mark surrounding Riddell this year was whether they were going in too short in the back line, they have responded by having the 3rd lowest "against" score in the competition, having conceded only 15 points more than the Kangaroos who have the best record.
The Tigers are without question having a rough year. It's not going to get any easier this week. But a positive for the Tigers is that, like Broadford last year, they have a solid group of youngsters that will only get better with senior experience. If the Tigers can keep getting games into these young men, they will only be better off for it in 2012, and that is where they sit at the moment, they need to build for next year and beyond and see improvement over the 2nd half of the year. 200 point losses certainly wont show that, so everyone hopes that the young guys keep putting their hand up to play senior footy and that sees the Tigers improve.
Key Players
Lancefield:
Daniel Rebbecchi, Glen Caton, Dale Joesph, Phil Conway
Riddell: Peter Robertson, Mick Allen, Brian Ruffell, Matt Baird.
Result: Riddell by 120 points.

Rockbank (3-6, 8th) Vs Kilmore (3-6, 9th)
Nothing should be taken away from the importance of this game for these two clubs. When it comes to any chance of finals football in 2011, a win here keeps you in the race, a loss pretty much ends your chances.
Without being too disrespectful to the Rams, a 3-6 record at this stage of the season simply isn't good enough. They have the talent, they have proven it, they ran top sides right to the line in games against Sunbury and Diggers Rest and were only a handful of points down at 3 quarter time against Riddell before being overrun. The Rams are a good side, but against the sides that they are competing with for a spot in the final 6, the simple fact is that so far, they have failed and failed badly. Losses to Wallan and Woodend/Hesket have them firmly on the back foot and right in the pack in the chase for 6th spot. With young guns Sobonitcki and Armistead getting senior game time alongside the likes of Jackal, Johns and Krul, they should have improved, and they may well have done, but at this stage, it is questionable whether they have improved as much as they should have.
The Blues have had nothing but turmoil, but they are hanging in there. With all the issues of coaching and clearances now behind them, the only issue they are dealing with now is injuries, but every side has them and unfortunately you have to deal with them. With Jacobs and the Gordon Brothers, they also have several talented young kids, Alex Desmond is a star of the future, and the returning Robert Rowe adds another option through the midfield. A win this week will have the Blues up and going and a real threat for 6th spot on the ladder.
Key Players
Rockbank:
Nathan Jackal, Jamie Zerafa, Jake Armistead, Leigh Sobotnicki
Kilmore: Shane Jacobs, Brent Gordon, Alex Desmond, Travis Hede.
Result: Rockbank by 15 points.

Wallan (4-5, 7th) Vs Melton Centrals (2-7, 10th)
This is another game that could impact that final spot in the finals. The Magpies currently have themselves well positioned in the race, but only a win here will show that they should be the side that makes it. Last week they pushed Diggers Rest right to the wire with the Burra winning by 8 points. Dave Cornish in his return to the Magpies is providing a solid forward target while Matt Robertson continues to show each week why he is rated one of the best players in the competition. But it is from the youngsters where the Magpies are getting extra drive. Ben Schraven has been in great form while Josh Barber is putting scoreboard pressure on the opposition. The Magpies will be confident going into this game that they can draw closer to that top 6 spot come finals time.
Centrals are still quietly working on getting positive results, they have been one club that has been hit very hard with injuries and with a lack of depth they have been found out. Sitting at 2-7 doesn't have them completely out of the race, but they are on the brink, a loss against Wallan will almost see their finals hopes dashed for 2011. Unfortunately for Centrals, it is the same names that step up, week in, week out. Kane Bullen, Glen Nankervis, Jono O'Brien, Timmy O'Brien, Brett Payne, Josh Armstrong. It's fantastic that these names provide so much to this football club, but they need support from the rest of the list.
Key Players
Wallan:
Matt Robertson, Dave Cornish, Justin Collis, Shannon Galea
Melton Centrals: Kane Bullen, Josh Armstrong, Jono O'Brien, Brett Payne.
Result: Wallan by 30 points.

Macedon (6-3, 5th) Vs Broadford (2-7, 11th)
The Cats, with the win last week, are out of any danger zone when it comes to finals and should finish in the top 5 now. They have been cruelled by injury in recent weeks with Coach Al Meldrum going down to add to the woes, but the return of Darren Goodwin is a positive for the club, and the league. Over the past month though, the Cats have slipped, from contenders to almost also rans. They have struggled to match it with 3 of the top 4 sides in the past month and unfortunately for a struggling young Roos side, they are in dire needs of an fresh kill. Was good to see a couple of the recent players that have struggled with injury listed in the best and goal kickers last week and hopefully that is a turning point for the Cats. Jason Davies and Goodwin will only improve, while the Cats had 3 big men in their best in Wilton, Hansford and Strickland. They will also hope for the return of James Wright for this weeks game.
The Roos have to be disappointed with last weeks game, even in the darkest days of last season they didn't face a scoreline like that, a solitary rushed behind from a side that has vastly improved simply has to be a disappointment for Matty Finch. Expect to see a much improved performance this week. The Roos midfield is as competitive as any, and the Roos will certainly need them to be up and going this week. They have talented talls in Wearne, Gillard, Collier and Littlewood, but it is these guys that are the ones that need to do more when it comes to the crunch.
Key Players
Macedon:
Ash Fleming, Jae Wilton, James Wright, Jason Davies
Broadford: Grant Wearne, Michael Gillard, Sean Duggan, Matthew Coomans
Result: Macedon by 40 points

Diggers Rest (7-2, 3rd) Vs Woodend/Hesket (4-5, 6th)
Another massive game this round, the Burra a game clear in 3rd position and an opportunity to put a stamp on it. They have been getting the job done as usual, during the regular season stepping to the level required to do so. Of course, led the way by skipper Shaun Sims, the Burra are a difficult proposition for any side. From reports they received good news during the week regarding Brett Caton who earlier in this thread had been killed off, he may even return this week. But again for the Burra it is the midfield rotation group that seem to be doing the damage each week. Heritage, Clarke, Sims, Marshall all playing huge roles for the Burra while Kris Marsh is in great form playing the floating role across the half back line. With some players hopefully returning from injury in coming weeks, the Burra a really well positioned in the run into finals.
The Hawks are flying. Despite our good friend from Macedon giving them the bullet a few weeks ago when I said they were in the mix for 6th spot, they find themselves sitting in 6th and giving themselves a real shot at a finals berth. The key has truly been the youngsters that have stepped up from Under 18 level, they all have quality and all have left their stamp on the senior line up. Add to that the form of the forwards, Ross Waters, Fennell, Hepburn and Co and the Hawks are showing that they are indeed capable of pushing for that final spot in the 6. The trouble for the Hawks is the run they have in the next 4 weeks. Diggers, Riddell, Sunbury, Romsey, they play the top 4 sides in succession, if they drop all 4, will they be too far behind to catch up?
Key Players
Diggers Rest:
Shaun Sims, Jeff Heritage, Kris Marsh, Stuart Clarke
Woodend/Hesket: Ross Waters, Jesse Waters, James Hepburn, Brendan Fennell.
Result: Diggers Rest by 18 points.

Match of the Round
Romsey (9-0, 1st) Vs Sunbury Kangaroos (8-1, 2nd)
The best offence against the best defense.
The 2nd best defense against the 2nd best defense..

This game is going to be a ripper..
Result: Romsey to win.

On another note...

I just want to wish both Brian Wheelahan and Dean Helmers all the best for whatever they do in football after both have been forced into retirement with career ending injuries. Wheels is one of the gentlemen of our competition, a quality bloke and a quality player and it is a true shame to see his career cut short with knee injuries. Wheels lives and breathes the Centrals footy club and hopefully he can play a part off the field in helping the club return to finals. Deano is one of the best players that I had the pleasure of playing/coaching against and with, he put a bucket load of work into getting himself back into shape to play this year and I am disappointed for him that his career had to end in the way it has. I wish Deano all the success off-field for the rest of this year (at least in finishing 2nd :D) and into the future..

Congrats to both guys on fantastic careers on field and here's to a fantastic career off field.... :thumbsu:

Re: Round 10

Good reading, IMS. Just gotta correct you on something, though...

With young guns Sobonitcki and Armistead getting senior game time alongside the likes of Jackal, Dodd and Krul,

Not sure who you mean by Dodd. No Dodd currently playing for Rockbank, but I'm guessing you might mean Travis Johns, and may have been getting confused with the Soccer player (Travis Dodd).

Re: Round 10

Good reading, IMS. Just gotta correct you on something, though...

Not sure who you mean by Dodd. No Dodd currently playing for Rockbank, but I'm guessing you might mean Travis Johns, and may have been getting confused with the Soccer player (Travis Dodd).

Correct... Fixed it up.. I had it in my head for some reason :confused:

Interesting signing last night at Romsey, keeping an eye on the clearances page to see when the league does an update.. Luckily it was a straight registration so that no waiting for a clearance... :thumbsu:

Go REDBACKS!!!

Like who redblue, still 3rd last on the ladder. Kilmore need way more recruits to get them near the top 6
Jacobs the Gordons Robinson!! I disagree with u there mate i think they are on the right track they have alot of young talent in Zac Treacy Matt Traynor Alex Desmond Ryan Crowly i reckon if they could get a key forward and key back they could be a great side and wouldnt be surprised if theyb finished the year off really well not saying they will make finals but they will have a crack and good on them the boys have had to put up with alot of turmoil so far and alot of players walking from the club so all the best boys

On another note...

I just want to wish both Brian Wheelahan and Dean Helmers all the best for whatever they do in football after both have been forced into retirement with career ending injuries. Wheels is one of the gentlemen of our competition, a quality bloke and a quality player and it is a true shame to see his career cut short with knee injuries. Wheels lives and breathes the Centrals footy club and hopefully he can play a part off the field in helping the club return to finals.

heard from a reliable source may be coaching above in 2012

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was all hush hush this time, but the last time Cousins was rumoured to be playing for romsey it was all over the radio through out the week and it would have pulled a massive crowd.
I heard from a reliable source then that it was being organised with sponsors for 6 or 7 weeks time. well that would put it about now!
Great to see the brownlow medalist is registered with the Romsey football club NOW.
Is it just a mind tactic, Why would they not want to take full advantage of it.
Or do they feel threatened :D :D

It was all hush hush this time, but the last time Cousins was rumoured to be playing for romsey it was all over the radio through out the week and it would have pulled a massive crowd.
I heard from a reliable source then that it was being organised with sponsors for 6 or 7 weeks time. well that would put it about now!
Great to see the brownlow medalist is registered with the Romsey football club NOW.
Is it just a mind tactic, Why would they not want to take full advantage of it.
Or do they feel threatened :D :D

Bwahahahahaha... You're funny :D

Final Scores.

Lancefield 5. 2. 32. lost to Riddell 22. 20. 152.
Diggers Rest 11. 11. 77. def' Woodend 6. 4. 40.
Romsey 8. 17. 65. def' Sunbury 9. 9. 63.
Macedon 12. 6. 78. def' Broadford 5. 6. 36.

Big third qtr from Diggers into the wind today tore the game apart, Woodend just couldnt take advantage of it in the last. Semmo would have given himself a vote today, seriously bad calls against both teams, an abundance of 50 mtr penalties and a send off to boot. Why oh why do you have to involve yourselves ( im not sure which of the two it was ) in the game so much?. Very good, tight game of football was ruined by the over-enthusiasm of this extremely frustrating umpire.:confused:

The humility of romsey.lol. it was a great game of footy, dont ruin it by blaming missing players because the kangas were missing a lot more:thumbsu:

are you kidding mongrel i watched the last 1/2 & you were clearly beaten by a better side
the only highlight was a coach from another side there watching instead of coaching his own side

Big third qtr from Diggers into the wind today tore the game apart, Woodend just couldnt take advantage of it in the last. Semmo would have given himself a vote today, seriously bad calls against both teams, an abundance of 50 mtr penalties and a send off to boot. Why oh why do you have to involve yourselves ( im not sure which of the two it was ) in the game so much?. Very good, tight game of football was ruined by the over-enthusiasm of this extremely frustrating umpire.:confused:

I know where you are coming from there mate. This issue has been around in my view for about the last 6 rounds.(at least !) Whilst I am always well aware of that "old chestnut" of NOT criticising umpires, something just HAS to be done....... & done NOW ! So lets just put this down to a little friendly advice shall we. :) Here are a few points I see that need urgent attention-

1. Some of our umpires are just way to OLD, they cant keep up with the play & are guessing from just too far away from the action when making decisions......... & some just aint fit enough & are doing the same ! (& I dont just mean field umpires)
2. Some of our umpires are GRANDSTANDING, & just wanna be part of the action, rather than being OBSERVING officials.
3. Some of our umpires are obviously watching to much AFL, & are trying to emulate their heros on tv.... ie,penalising the sling tackle for instance.
4. Some of our umpires are obviously being advised to focus on a particular area of concern. ie, the kicking in danger rule. Only problem with this is - it only lasted for the ONE round of games. 4 decisions of that rule at the game I attended (& was told a similar thing happened at 2 other games) that round. NONE for every game preceeding that round....... & NONE since !!!
5. Some of our umpires need to understand the SINGLE most important aspect of their job...... CONSISTENCY !!!! This makes the whole game easy for EVERYONE concerned. Their interpretation of decisions should not alter from the first bounce, til the final siren. If they were even able to get somewhere near this, then player & spectator frustration alike would almost certainly be non existent.
6. Some of our umpires are saying way too much to players, almost childlike, trying to provoke or incite an outburst. :thumbsdown:
Good umpiring IMHO:eek: - Is umpiring you dont tend to notice.
Look I understand some umpires are just NEVER going to embrace this concept. We need look no further than that attention seeking recidivist whos name seems to come up EVERY year now for as long as I can remember. And I am not gunna name him here, (everyone knows who he is !) ONLY because - I think he LIKES it. I think he gets off on it ! I think he is a pityful little old man 5 days a week. But come the week-end he gets his chance. He gets to be in control of all those big bad footballers, & they'll do exactly what he says...... or else ! He loves his moment in the sun, his 100 minuts of fame. Its his "Juice" ! & he has been hooked on it for a very long time now ! The SAD thing is, (& this wont register to a self absorbed control freak like him) is that this regularly annual focus on "HIM" does nothing but bring the role of umpires into disrepute, & furthermore makes the job harder for the rest his colleagues ! :thumbsdown:

I know where you are coming from there mate. This issue has been around in my view for about the last 6 rounds.(at least !) Whilst I am always well aware of that "old chestnut" of NOT criticising umpires, something just HAS to be done....... & done NOW ! So lets just put this down to a little friendly advice shall we. :) Here are a few points I see that need urgent attention-

1. Some of our umpires are just way to OLD, they cant keep up with the play & are guessing from just too far away from the action when making decisions......... & some just aint fit enough & are doing the same ! (& I dont just mean field umpires)
2. Some of our umpires are GRANDSTANDING, & just wanna be part of the action, rather than being OBSERVING officials.
3. Some of our umpires are obviously watching to much AFL, & are trying to emulate their heros on tv.... ie,penalising the sling tackle for instance.
4. Some of our umpires are obviously being advised to focus on a particular area of concern. ie, the kicking in danger rule. Only problem with this is - it only lasted for the ONE round of games. 4 decisions of that rule at the game I attended (& was told a similar thing happened at 2 other games) that round. NONE for every game preceeding that round....... & NONE since !!!
5. Some of our umpires need to understand the SINGLE most important aspect of their job...... CONSISTENCY !!!! This makes the whole game easy for EVERYONE concerned. Their interpretation of decisions should not alter from the first bounce, til the final siren. If they were even able to get somewhere near this, then player & spectator frustration alike would almost certainly be non existent.
6. Some of our umpires are saying way too much to players, almost childlike, trying to provoke or incite an outburst. :thumbsdown:
Good umpiring IMHO:eek: - Is umpiring you dont tend to notice.
Look I understand some umpires are just NEVER going to embrace this concept. We need look no further than that attention seeking recidivist whos name seems to come up EVERY year now for as long as I can remember. And I am not gunna name him here, (everyone knows who he is !) ONLY because - I think he LIKES it. I think he gets off on it ! I think he is a pityful little old man 5 days a week. But come the week-end he gets his chance. He gets to be in control of all those big bad footballers, & they'll do exactly what he says...... or else ! He loves his moment in the sun, his 100 minuts of fame. Its his "Juice" ! & he has been hooked on it for a very long time now ! The SAD thing is, (& this wont register to a self absorbed control freak like him) is that this regularly annual focus on "HIM" does nothing but bring the role of umpires into disrepute, & furthermore makes the job harder for the rest his colleagues ! :thumbsdown:
amen to that, brother.

Didn't end up making it to Romsey yesty as the Broady boys were hanging in there at Macedon til the last term. Anyone care to give us a run down, I did hear Romsey was down a fair bit, any key injuries or match changing moments or did they just chip away to get themselves back into it?

are you kidding mongrel i watched the last 1/2 & you were clearly beaten by a better side
the only highlight was a coach from another side there watching instead of coaching his own side

I dont think Mongrels post was silly as stated in earlier posts think he was just stating it was a good game and didnt want anyone posting excuses. Romsey had some big names missing and were nothing short of outstanding in the 2nd half strangling Sunbury and only allowing 1 goal to be scored in 50 odd mins of play, Clearly the best side at the minute very well coached and very fit. I asked the question when Sunbury ran out when I couldnt see the likes of McInerney,Walsh,McGovern and Welsh. So both sides was with out some of its stars... And a special mention to Leigh McInerney and Danny Harrison who competed very well for the first time against thier old clubs both boys conducted themselves with total class:thumbsu:, Well Done to both clubs and bring on September and remember there is still a side that resides in between driving from Romsey and Sunbury (Not Clarkefield haha)that are just warming up at the minute!:)

Didn't end up making it to Romsey yesty as the Broady boys were hanging in there at Macedon til the last term. Anyone care to give us a run down, I did hear Romsey was down a fair bit, any key injuries or match changing moments or did they just chip away to get themselves back into it?

imho....match changing moment was the half time siren 6g down at half time and sunbury was trying to save the game not win it...stopped running and doing the 1percenters..if it wasnt for a 40 something y/o busting his a..
would have lost by a lot more..players arguing amonst themselves is never a good sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back