RDFL Thread 2011 (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RDFL Thread 2011 (Part 1)

Yep. on a great day for footy at Macedon, it could have got very very ugly, Macedon did'nt even look like beating the Redbacks, Davo kicking a lazy 4 goals, obviously having an off day, poor fella, god help yers when he gets his eye in. Riddel, or maybe the Kangas might prove to be a better challenge. Game of the round, i think not.
wellthe players @ romsey have only hade 1 match payment and are unlikly 2 get another one

Re: RDFL Thread 2011 (Part 1)

well the romsey boys have only hade 1 payment and it is unlikly they will get another one

I dont think Mongrels post was silly as stated in earlier posts think he was just stating it was a good game and didnt want anyone posting excuses. Romsey had some big names missing and were nothing short of outstanding in the 2nd half strangling Sunbury and only allowing 1 goal to be scored in 50 odd mins of play, Clearly the best side at the minute very well coached and very fit. I asked the question when Sunbury ran out when I couldnt see the likes of McInerney,Walsh,McGovern and Welsh. So both sides was with out some of its stars... And a special mention to Leigh McInerney and Danny Harrison who competed very well for the first time against thier old clubs both boys conducted themselves with total class:thumbsu:, Well Done to both clubs and bring on September and remember there is still a side that resides in between driving from Romsey and Sunbury (Not Clarkefield haha)that are just warming up at the minute!:)

Make no mistake, there are four clubs well and truely in the race for the flag. Both Romsey and Sunbury not at full strength yesterday, played at Romsey's home ground, 2 point result game could have gone either way. Riddell and Diggers both well and truely in the frame as well, will be a very interesting finals series, injuries will play a big part, a healthy list at any of those clubs in September will make a huge difference. Good luck to all !

Make no mistake, there are four clubs well and truely in the race for the flag. Both Romsey and Sunbury not at full strength yesterday, played at Romsey's home ground, 2 point result game could have gone either way. Riddell and Diggers both well and truely in the frame as well, will be a very interesting finals series, injuries will play a big part, a healthy list at any of those clubs in September will make a huge difference. Good luck to all !

Im with you Bomba, I don't understand any of the negativity toward either side after the weekend's game, it was a fantastic example of why we all love local football, hard fought, physical, exciting contest.. Nothing but congratulations should go to all 44 players competing in that contest...
Just how good is Jamie Cuffe.. The guy just never stops competing, his contested marking around the ground is worth paying an entry fee for. Dylan Wright was excellent for the Kangaroos, especially in the first half, Shannon Green was able to reduce some of that influence in the 2nd half, although a timely hand from Andrew Pendlebury as Dylan was streaming out of the middle right at the end of the game was certainly leaving a few of us breathing a sigh of relief.. :)
But the Kangaroos could take plenty out of the game, while the belief and fighting spirit of the Redbacks boys in the 2nd half made for an outstanding game of football, possibly one of the best games of the year to be a spectator at I would have thought!!! :thumbsu:

As for the "new" member of Big Footy, every year we hear this about the top sides, no one is getting paid, blah blah blah....

Big third qtr from Diggers into the wind today tore the game apart, Woodend just couldnt take advantage of it in the last. Semmo would have given himself a vote today, seriously bad calls against both teams, an abundance of 50 mtr penalties and a send off to boot. Why oh why do you have to involve yourselves ( im not sure which of the two it was ) in the game so much?. Very good, tight game of football was ruined by the over-enthusiasm of this extremely frustrating umpire.:confused:

Agree there were some interesting decisions that went both ways. Although the send off was warranted as the abuse that player was giving semmo was not on.

So another interesting round passes by.. Some big results and makes the next few weeks very interesting..

Centrals knocking over Wallan @ Wallan is a fantastic achievement for a club that has copped some stick in recent weeks, questions have to be asked over the ability of Wallan to make the top 6 now.

Run home in the race for top 6. (Wins in blue, 50/50 in red)

Wallan - Currently - 6th, 4 wins 6 losses
They have the Kangaroos this week and if they don't respond to the loss against Centrals they could well and truly be staring down the barrel.. Very very disappointing and most would expect much better from them, question MUST be asked now. Looking at the draw, of the remaining 8 games, Expected wins 1, expected losses 4, 50/50 games 3.
Kangaroos (A), Kilmore (A), Rockbank (H), Macedon (A), Romsey (H), Broadford (A), Woodend/Hesket (H), Riddell (A)
Predicted - 6 wins, 12 losses.

Woodend/Hesket - Currently - 7th, 4 wins 6 losses
The Hawks have put themselves in a position to fill a top six position at the end of the year, but to guarantee they need to sneak a win against a top 5 side, they also cannot afford to get blown out of the water as percentage could become very important. They have a tough 3 weeks ahead, but could win all of their last 5 games. Expected losses 3, expected wins 2, 50/50 games 3.
Riddell (A), Kangaroos (H), Romsey (A), Centrals (H), Lancefield (A), Macedon (H), Wallan (A), Kilmore (A)
Predicted - 7 wins, 11 losses

Rockbank - Currently 8th, 4 wins 6 losses
The Rams win over the Blues on the weekend means finals is well and truly on the radar, the way the Rams have performed so far against top sides mean that every game could be a 50/50 for them. They do have a tough run though, if they can manage to pinch one of the games they will be expected to lose, they should leap frog the others. Expected wins 2, expected losses 4, 50/50 games 1.
Romsey (H), Wallan (A), Kangaroos (H), Riddell (H). Centrals (A), Diggers Rest (H), Lancefield (A)

Centrals -
Currently 9th, 3 wins 7 losses
What a win to put Centrals back in the mix, a win away from home against a more fancied opponent, the commitment of the top level of players at Centrals could never be questioned, it is why they are still in the race, only one game out, in reality, everyone expects them to drop most games in the run home, but they can never be discounted. Expected wins 2, expected losses 6. No current 50/50 games, but much of that will depend on performances against Romsey and Diggers Rest, have they turned the corner with the weekend's win?
Lancefield (H), Romsey (A), Diggers Rest (H), Woodend/Hesket (A), Macedon (A), Rockbank (H), Kangaroos (A), Broadford (H)
Predicted - 5 wins, 13 losses

Kilmore - Currently 10th, 3 wins 7 losses
Would be disappointed with the loss to the Rams, really need to win those games if they want to finish in the finals mix, they certainly have the list, but have just failed to win some games that they really should have. A massive couple of weeks ahead, need to pinch a win or two that they are not expected to, starting this week with the Cats. 2 expected wins, 4 expected losses, 2 50/50 results.
Macedon (H), Wallan (H), Kangaroos (A), Riddell (H), Broadford (H), Diggers Rest (A), Lancefield (A), Woodend/Hesket (H)

So in my view it comes down to the Rams and the Hawks.. But we are all well and truly aware how quickly that can all turn around in one week... From here on in, just about every week is season defining for these teams... God I love local footy :thumbsu:

Performance Ladder - Round 10
Riddell
Diggers Rest
Melton Centrals
Macedon
Rockbank
Romsey

Sunbury Kangaroos
Broadford
Kilmore
Woodend/Hesket
Lancefield
Wallan

So another interesting round passes by.. Some big results and makes the next few weeks very interesting..

Centrals knocking over Wallan @ Wallan is a fantastic achievement for a club that has copped some stick in recent weeks, questions have to be asked over the ability of Wallan to make the top 6 now.

They have the Kangaroos this week and if they don't respond to the loss against Centrals they could well and truly be staring down the barrel.. Very very disappointing and most would expect much better from them, question MUST be asked now. Looking at the draw, of the remaining 8 games, Expected wins 1, expected losses 4, 50/50 games 3.
Kangaroos (A), Kilmore (A), Rockbank (H), Macedon (A), Romsey (H), Broadford (A), Woodend/Hesket (H), Riddell (A)

The Hawks have put themselves in a position to fill a top six position at the end of the year, but to guarantee they need to sneak a win against a top 5 side, they also cannot afford to get blown out of the water as percentage could become very important. They have a tough 3 weeks ahead, but could win all of their last 5 games. Expected losses 3, expected wins 2, 50/50 games 3.
Riddell (A), Kangaroos (H), Romsey (A), Centrals (H), Lancefield (A), Macedon (H), Wallan (A), Kilmore (A)

The Rams win over the Blues on the weekend means finals is well and truly on the radar, the way the Rams have performed so far against top sides mean that every game could be a 50/50 for them. They do have a tough run though, if they can manage to pinch one of the games they will be expected to lose, they should leap frog the others. Expected wins 2, expected losses 4, 50/50 games 1.
Romsey (H), Wallan (A), Kangaroos (H), Riddell (H). Centrals (A), Diggers Rest (H), Lancefield (A)

Centrals -
What a win to put Centrals back in the mix, a win away from home against a more fancied opponent, the commitment of the top level of players at Centrals could never be questioned, it is why they are still in the race, only one game out, in reality, everyone expects them to drop most games in the run home, but they can never be discounted. Expected wins 2, expected losses 6. No current 50/50 games, but much of that will depend on performances against Romsey and Diggers Rest, have they turned the corner with the weekend's win?
Lancefield (H), Romsey (A), Diggers Rest (H), Woodend/Hesket (A), Macedon (A), Rockbank (H), Kangaroos (A), Broadford (H)

Would be disappointed with the loss at home to the Rams, really need to win those games if they want to finish in the finals mix, they certainly have the list, but have just failed to win some games that they really should have. A massive couple of weeks ahead, need to pinch a win or two that they are not expected to, starting this week with the Cats. 2 expected wins, 4 expected losses, 2 50/50 results.
Macedon (H), Wallan (H), Kangaroos (A), Riddell (H), Broadford (H), Diggers Rest (A), Lancefield (A), Woodend/Hesket (H)

So in my view it comes down to the Rams and the Hawks.. But we are all well and truly aware how quickly that can all turn around in one week... From here on in, just about every week is season defining for these teams... God I love local footy :thumbsu:

Riddell
Diggers Rest
Melton Centrals
Macedon
Rockbank
Romsey

Sunbury Kangaroos
Broadford
Kilmore
Woodend/Hesket
Lancefield
Wallan
You have far too much time on your hands Gav!

Centrals -

Would be disappointed with the loss at home to the Rams, really need to win those games if they want to finish in the finals mix, they certainly have the list, but have just failed to win some games that they really should have. A massive couple of weeks ahead, need to pinch a win or two that they are not expected to, starting this week with the Cats. 2 expected wins, 4 expected losses, 2 50/50 results.

Riddell
Diggers Rest
Melton Centrals
Macedon
Rockbank
Romsey

Sunbury Kangaroos
Broadford
Kilmore
Woodend/Hesket
Lancefield
Wallan
kilmores loss was away not at home

I know where you are coming from there mate. This issue has been around in my view for about the last 6 rounds.(at least !) Whilst I am always well aware of that "old chestnut" of NOT criticising umpires, something just HAS to be done....... & done NOW ! So lets just put this down to a little friendly advice shall we. :) Here are a few points I see that need urgent attention-

1. Some of our umpires are just way to OLD, they cant keep up with the play & are guessing from just too far away from the action when making decisions......... & some just aint fit enough & are doing the same ! (& I dont just mean field umpires)
2. Some of our umpires are GRANDSTANDING, & just wanna be part of the action, rather than being OBSERVING officials.
3. Some of our umpires are obviously watching to much AFL, & are trying to emulate their heros on tv.... ie,penalising the sling tackle for instance.
4. Some of our umpires are obviously being advised to focus on a particular area of concern. ie, the kicking in danger rule. Only problem with this is - it only lasted for the ONE round of games. 4 decisions of that rule at the game I attended (& was told a similar thing happened at 2 other games) that round. NONE for every game preceeding that round....... & NONE since !!!
5. Some of our umpires need to understand the SINGLE most important aspect of their job...... CONSISTENCY !!!! This makes the whole game easy for EVERYONE concerned. Their interpretation of decisions should not alter from the first bounce, til the final siren. If they were even able to get somewhere near this, then player & spectator frustration alike would almost certainly be non existent.
6. Some of our umpires are saying way too much to players, almost childlike, trying to provoke or incite an outburst. :thumbsdown:
Good umpiring IMHO:eek: - Is umpiring you dont tend to notice.
Look I understand some umpires are just NEVER going to embrace this concept. We need look no further than that attention seeking recidivist whos name seems to come up EVERY year now for as long as I can remember. And I am not gunna name him here, (everyone knows who he is !) ONLY because - I think he LIKES it. I think he gets off on it ! I think he is a pityful little old man 5 days a week. But come the week-end he gets his chance. He gets to be in control of all those big bad footballers, & they'll do exactly what he says...... or else ! He loves his moment in the sun, his 100 minuts of fame. Its his "Juice" ! & he has been hooked on it for a very long time now ! The SAD thing is, (& this wont register to a self absorbed control freak like him) is that this regularly annual focus on "HIM" does nothing but bring the role of umpires into disrepute, & furthermore makes the job harder for the rest his colleagues ! :thumbsdown:

I guess the old saying goes.. "if you can't beat them, join them".. the league is absolutely shot for field umpire numbers as it is.. quite a few lads are doubling up on Saturday and there are a large number of junior games that aren't getting Riddell Umpires to officiate.. then there is another saying .. "you can't have a game without umpires".. umpiring is a hard gig.. anyone who has given it a crack will say the same thing.. you make more decisions in quick fire succession than most people realise.. the more umpires on board.. the merrier..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the old saying goes.. "if you can't beat them, join them".. the league is absolutely shot for field umpire numbers as it is.. quite a few lads are doubling up on Saturday and there are a large number of junior games that aren't getting Riddell Umpires to officiate.. then there is another saying .. "you can't have a game without umpires".. umpiring is a hard gig.. anyone who has given it a crack will say the same thing.. you make more decisions in quick fire succession than most people realise.. the more umpires on board.. the merrier..
Your spot on, no umpires no game! it is a very hard game to umpire and getting harder every year due to rule changes, we must shut up and except the umpire secission! I think the umpires have done a great job this year, i think what ims is on about, is two blokes making it harder for the rest!

Your spot on, no umpires no game! it is a very hard game to umpire and getting harder every year due to rule changes, we must shut up and except the umpire secission! I think the umpires have done a great job this year, i think what ims is on about, is two blokes making it harder for the rest!

Hey!!! I didn't say a thing about the umpires... I reckon they are doing a pretty good job too... Sometimes you can get caught up in the game and react, but I agree, it's a job that the vast majority would never put their hand up to do, you cop a fair whack of grief, yet they keep showing up and are passionate about the game.. I reckon give em a fair go..

Cept for Icely... That guy can pirouette to save himself :p:D

The thing is, though, no one is bagging the Riddell Umpires Association at all. In fact, over the last five years I can't recall any umpires (except for the Semmos) being criticised for the job they do. The fact is that there are one or two individuals dragging down the whole reputation of the umpires. The sooner those one or two people retire or are tapped on the shoulder, the better. Let's be honest, there are days you are better having club umpires than those one or two people.

Hey!!! I didn't say a thing about the umpires... I reckon they are doing a pretty good job too... Sometimes you can get caught up in the game and react, but I agree, it's a job that the vast majority would never put their hand up to do, you cop a fair whack of grief, yet they keep showing up and are passionate about the game.. I reckon give em a fair go..

I thought that might upset you! I ment OMNI

The thing is, though, no one is bagging the Riddell Umpires Association at all. In fact, over the last five years I can't recall any umpires (except for the Semmos) being criticised for the job they do. The fact is that there are one or two individuals dragging down the whole reputation of the umpires. The sooner those one or two people retire or are tapped on the shoulder, the better. Let's be honest, there are days you are better having club umpires than those one or two people.

Touche' mate, couldn't have said it better myself. At least someone gets my point ! :thumbsu:

Centrals - Currently 9th, 3 wins 7 losses

Would be disappointed with the loss to the Rams, really need to win those games if they want to finish in the finals mix, they certainly have the list, but have just failed to win some games that they really should have. A massive couple of weeks ahead, need to pinch a win or two that they are not expected to, starting this week with the Cats. 2 expected wins, 4 expected losses, 2 50/50 results.

Riddell
Diggers Rest
Melton Centrals
Macedon
Rockbank
Romsey

Sunbury Kangaroos
Broadford
Kilmore
Woodend/Hesket
Lancefield
Wallan

&............ An alternate, perhaps more objective Performance Ladder -

Romsey
Melton
Rockbank
Diggers
Sunbury
Macedon

Riddell
Woodend
Broadford
Kilmore
Wallan
Lancefield

I thought that might upset you! I ment OMNI

Well at the risk of stating the BLEEDING obvious boys - You two wouldn't wanna comment on the men in white now would you ???? :cool:

&............ An alternate, perhaps more objective Performance Ladder -

Romsey
Melton
Rockbank
Diggers
Sunbury
Macedon

Riddell
Woodend
Broadford
Kilmore
Wallan
Lancefield

Less objective?? What are you suggesting??

Riddell - Won by 20 goals, any language thats well performed.
Diggers Rest - Defeated a side that was in great form by 6 goals.
Melton Centrals - Travelled away from home amid rumours of turmoil.
Macedon - Several injuries, solid win.
Rockbank - Performed, a pretty good end result.
Romsey - Disappointing first half.

Sunbury Kangaroos - Disappointing second half.
Broadford - Responded to last week's belting by pushing a top 5 side for 3Q
Kilmore - Disappointing loss, but weren't disgraced
Woodend/Hesket - After having a strong 4 or 5 weeks, a let down.
Lancefield - Battling hard, young kids had a crack.
Wallan - Horrible horrible loss when fighting for 6th spot.

I reckon my ladder is far more objective than yours. :D

I'm not quite sure how to take that mate!!! It seems no matter how much I watch "Dancing with D Graders" on a Sunday night, I can't seem to nail the perfect piruette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back