RDFL Thread - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Have they maintained most the playing list from last season? Will make them very hard to beat if so.

I believe so. Farmer is mates with Brewer so it would appear that he remains. Also that there maybe another mate of his from the Sunbury Lions heading out there as well. Have been reliably informed that the Davidsons are staying, Erwin, Smith-Whiting have committed and also the Henderson brothers.

Have also heard that Damian Niki has been training out with the Redbacks as well as a young ruckman from Broadford way. Someone mentioned two brothers heading north to play with another brother but that could be the other way round with Daniel Carroll a chance to return to the Redbacks to play alongside Luke and Jimmy.

Found it on a VCFL thread, article was in print down Warnambool a few weeks back . . . .

Clubs and communities pay a high price for sporting success
JOHN PATTISON
02 Dec, 2011 04:00 AM

Why is football bad for a community when it was once seen as being central to a community’s well-being?
Let’s think about the basic objective of a football club: it is to provide a social outlet for people who enjoy the game, people who wish to participate and probably, in most cases, to be successful.
Trouble is, success is now measured, particularly by those who play it, on where you finish on the ladder and for many clubs the cyclical nature of on-field failures drowns them eventually.
So how does a football club run?
Effectively, a lot of people spend hours and hours as volunteers to raise sufficient funds to ensure they can buy a team of players each year (no matter how poor the standard of the league).
This approach means a coach who is employed for a significant amount as well is pressured to create performances, so they look at ways to do so.
The game itself demands fitness and as a result the coaches crawl further and further into summer existence with pre-season training. Examples of minor leagues training in November and December are widespread.
Thus football becomes a 10 months of the year sport at every level.
Because of the transient nature of senior footballers and the culture of having to pay players that have become established, these players contribute very little long-term to any of the communities they become attached to via the club and, apart from attending football club functions and other club-based commitments, they very rarely become involved at a real community level with other sports, clubs, schools etc. In other words, they are takers.
Due to the demands on volunteers simply to keep on affording to buy these players, the turnover is extreme and magnified even more by the fact those people (the good community people) are often then lost from other areas of the community as well due to burn-out etc.
Now think about football and the culture of many clubs where it is actually about football and not the magnificent and hard-working netballers who, for no pay, essentially keep football afloat in many areas. We are putting 10 months of the year into community resources and people power into a team of senior footballers.
No one can begrudge the footballers as this is the system it has created.
But look at the enormous number of cricket and tennis players who no longer play the game between 18 and 35 years of age and ask why?
Simple maths would say no wife or girlfriend who has had their partner away from home for 10 months playing football will want them to then say “right, it is cricket season now and away we go”.
To the players not impacted like this, why would you want to involve yourself in a summer club that also has some commitments when you are totally burnt-out with the last 10 months, compounded by how many years you have played?
The sting in the tail is that eventually football will shoot itself in the foot with this approach, as many community volunteers are just that — they volunteer for football, cricket, school, fire brigades etc.
If we continue to jeopardise those other sports and commitments by placing an even bigger demand on the volunteers who run football, we eventually won’t have any left.
So the golden game that is propped up by Auskick figures and magnificent gate and TV ratings will fail to exist in communities that have so passionately allowed it to thrive all this time.
Then we have destroyed community sport for good, as smaller centres race to the larger centres for any fix of sport still available.
And later, as those young men arrive at 35-plus and have children wanting to play cricket and footy locally, it won’t exist because football has killed the golden goose.
Yet we have an opportunity to change this.
Football leagues (apart from the national and state leagues) that are often run by very well-meaning volunteers could restrict clubs from pre-season training until the end of January (people can keep fit themselves). The thousands of people who chat each week about how hard it is to find volunteers, how little the AFL really contributes to small clubs and nervously consider the divide they are creating in the general community by further alienating those who enjoy summer sport and contribute to the whole community wellbeing, could make a stand and say we are no longer going to pay players and they would be more likely to stay loyal to their respective clubs.
Cricket and tennis could then also put a hand out and pull down the wall by beginning in November to give players, partners and families a break from the grind of continuous weekend sport.
Although it is great to be involved, a break is always appreciated.
The alternative is an end to community sport and the growth of middle-management dreaming up ways to save both games that are not sustainable.

- John Pattison is a Warrnambool cricket and Auskick coach, teacher and parent.

Meant to ask this one a few weeks back - like years previous, were clubs afforded a look at a "draft" version of the 2012 draw prior to its release?

The Riddell Umpires are now recruiting for the 2012 season.
  • No experience required
  • Girls, Boys, Women and Men of all ages welcome.
  • Expert coaching
  • All payment is tax free
  • Earn over $2000 in your first year!
For more information visit our website, Facebook or come down to training.
Training begins Wednesday 15th Feburary at 6pm. MacPherson Park, Melton.

Hi there,

Hope everyone had a safe and exciting Xmas & New Years

Just wondering when all clubs are back at training.

my company Training Sense, is looking at coming out to all RDFL clubs and present to the players & commitee what we are offering.

Some really exciting courses in Sport & Rec.

Not only do we look after the kids, we are in a position to help out the club as well with some great kick backs.

would really appreciate finding out when everyone is getting back on the track....

Cheers
TS

check us out at:
www.trainingsense.com.au

Hi there,

Hope everyone had a safe and exciting Xmas & New Years

Just wondering when all clubs are back at training.

my company Training Sense, is looking at coming out to all RDFL clubs and present to the players & commitee what we are offering.

Some really exciting courses in Sport & Rec.

Not only do we look after the kids, we are in a position to help out the club as well with some great kick backs.

would really appreciate finding out when everyone is getting back on the track....

Cheers
TS

check us out at:
www.trainingsense.com.au
Sunbury Kangaroos resume training on the 23rd January (mon,wed,fri)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sipthorp, Manser and Massina Jnr coming back to the Hawks?

Wish it were true Sprech but highly unlikely from what i hear. Maybe 1 of the 3 will play. Any news elsewhere? Cats might have lost a couple of important ones im led to believe and havent secured any BIG recruits yet. What about Wallan and Kilmore they are usually both January champions.

What's going on at RDFL House? OM Scott Ledwidge pulled the pin and may not be the only one doing so. IMS, what's going on?

I've heard the same thing mate . JB on his way out the door ?:thumbsdown:

Least they aint sneaking out the back door like the last bloke :mad:. No organisation likes staff turnover, let alone both from a small operation at the same time. Hope it aint true, but if so are they moving onto better opportunities still in footy???

What's news at your mob old mate??? Happy with things at this point

No complaints to this stage mate. Committe support is there, training numbers ok, attitudes and efforts where they should be first week or so back from Xmas. Still getting to know em and there little tricks - who likes to duck off for a PI$$ after one lap, who only does 7-8 of the requested 10 sprints etc etc you know how it is. Guess I'll find out more when things get ramped up shortly.

How are you guys looking up home? Ya having a trundle this summer?

No complaints to this stage mate. Committe support is there, training numbers ok, attitudes and efforts where they should be first week or so back from Xmas. Still getting to know em and there little tricks - who likes to duck off for a PI$$ after one lap, who only does 7-8 of the requested 10 sprints etc etc you know how it is. Guess I'll find out more when things get ramped up shortly.

How are you guys looking up home? Ya having a trundle this summer?

I think things are ticking along well up home. I don't hear much down in Bendigo. No cricket for me this summer. The missus just had our second baby boy yesty so have had this season off:thumbsu:

I think things are ticking along well up home. I don't hear much down in Bendigo. No cricket for me this summer. The missus just had our second baby boy yesty so have had this season off:thumbsu:

Awesome news mate, congrats :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back