RDFL Thread - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
well done now all of a sudden the kangarros have to thrown to the top of the flag favrites list

Pretty sure they were already sitting there TBH. Reigning premiers with no significant losses and the addition of Darragh McGovern and Jake Young.

No disrespect to Fish either, he only strengthens that line up again, but if any side had the coverage to lose their Ruckman it was the Kangaroos.

OMNI"S 2013 RDFL LADDER PREDICTIONS.

Diggers Rest...........64
Romsey...................52
Macedon.................52
Sunbury..................48
Riddell....................44
Rockbank...............40

Rupertswood..........28
Broadford..............24
Woodend...............20
Lancefield.............16
Walan....................12
Melton....................8
Kilmore..................8

Biggest Improver..........Rockbank.
Biggest Slidder...............Melton.

Grand Finalists..............Diggers Rest v Romsey.
Premiership.................. Diggers Rest.

Lee James Medal.........Matt Davo' (Rom')
Rising Star...................Grant Puxley (Ridd')
Bowen Medal..............Darren Goodwin (Mac')

Let The Games Begin !!! :thumbsu::footy:

OMNI"S 2013 RDFL LADDER PREDICTIONS.

Diggers Rest...........64
Romsey...................52
Macedon.................52
Sunbury..................48
Riddell....................44
Rockbank...............40

Rupertswood..........28
Broadford..............24
Woodend...............20
Lancefield.............16
Walan....................12
Melton....................8
Kilmore..................8

Biggest Improver..........Rockbank.
Biggest Slidder...............Melton.

Grand Finalists..............Diggers Rest v Romsey.
Premiership.................. Diggers Rest.

Lee James Medal.........Matt Davo' (Rom')
Rising Star...................Grant Puxley (Ridd')
Bowen Medal..............Darren Goodwin (Mac')

Let The Games Begin !!! :thumbsu::footy:

Luv ya omni but u r the leagues best stirrer!!!!! Great to see big fish back at sunbury and I'm really looking forward to rupo making a few sides look second rate come finals. Sunbury r the team to beat, Romsey have the best coach, diggers r ready to pounce, Riddell r overdue by their high standards and my old club macedon are flying under the tutalidge of Jeff Andrews and could be on the verge of something special in 2014 when the prodigal son returns

Sadly not, the lad is a Lancefiled player now. Got a text last night saying he didn't want to get a bad rep or let the people at Lancefield down, never mind the fact he looked me in the eye and shook me bloody hand. Seems he was more than prepared to disappoint me, his mates and his local club instead of people he met 10 minutes ago.

As I said another "lesson learnt" least he did communicate ..... I still haven't heard from Mickie Marrett to say he is off to Craigieburn - young blokes hey :mad:

In my Sports Admin days at the AFL we had a briefling from a prominent sports lawyer (this was some time back though) who spoke about 'Contracts' within the Amatuer sports environment. Loosely summarising the main elements, in these areas they're not really binding. In that, they document a fee for playing, but due to business structures of sports clubs (trading methods, you're legal entity status) you're not likely to be going to a court to dispute the contract. If anything your club would be opened up to your financial reporting. So the Leagues are responsible for these issues, and they base decisons on the club side of does the player ower the club or have club property?

In short, these contracts for football players are worthless.

Given this is older-ish mail, would love to hear if anyone has challenged such a contract in a court/civil appeals etc.

PS. Best of luck Doona, I'll be following KFNC progress (more than on the promo for the Footy Show 'Almost Footy Legends')

In my Sports Admin days at the AFL we had a briefling from a prominent sports lawyer (this was some time back though) who spoke about 'Contracts' within the Amatuer sports environment. Loosely summarising the main elements, in these areas they're not really binding. In that, they document a fee for playing, but due to business structures of sports clubs (trading methods, you're legal entity status) you're not likely to be going to a court to dispute the contract. If anything your club would be opened up to your financial reporting. So the Leagues are responsible for these issues, and they base decisons on the club side of does the player ower the club or have club property?

In short, these contracts for football players are worthless.

Given this is older-ish mail, would love to hear if anyone has challenged such a contract in a court/civil appeals etc.

PS. Best of luck Doona, I'll be following KFNC progress (more than on the promo for the Footy Show 'Almost Footy Legends')

It's unlikely to go to a court as such, but AFL Victoria is the governing body and any "appeal" against a contract goes much deeper than if a player owes money or has property, so whilst to the letter of the law, your assessment might be accurate, in the AFL Victoria structure, it is incorrect. At an appeal, AFL Vic has made it very clear that if a player has signed a contract, then that contract is binding and will be enforced if the club that has the player signed choose to exercise that right. The leagues as such have nothing to do with the policing of these contracts, it all falls with AFL Victoria.

I did go through the Draw mate, & thats how it all panned out.
I dunno about BEST stirrer, your not too bad yourself !

Diggers will be super hungry this season after dominating the competition last year then falling over in the Pre-lim'.

Peddo will have plenty to work with over at Romsey with the "Us against the World" routine & lets "Stick it up 'Em". That coupled with having the best full forward going around since Lee James will have the Redbacks up & about.

Someone at Macedon has FINALLY realised that a Football Clubs objective is to win the Seniors Premiership, & to do that you need to top up your list & fill in the sides deficiencies.....ABOUT TIME ! They have cracked open the Tony Clarke war chest & have recruited quite well & should be better this season.

Sunbury........Same old, same old ! They were very fortunate last season. But a Premiership is a Premiership & no one can take that away from them. What will have been taken away is the HUNGER to win another ! And back to backs are very very difficult things to achieve. I see them having the old Premiership hangover syndrome in 2013.

The jury is still out on Riddell. New coach, new season.......Same players. (with the odd exception) You NEED an insatiable hunger & desire to dominate a competition & take out the ultimate prize. I've seen it first hand with the Bombers in past seasons & I know what it looks & feels like. The Bomber admin' team are first rate & they have the list to be right up there come September, but whether the players are desperate enough to complete the picture, time will tell I guess ???

Rockbank have a very favorable draw, a new coaching team, have recruited well & should improve to land in 6th spot on the ladder.
Wheels are in motion down at the Rams to change their culture. An injection of confidence & belief coupled with early wins should see them as the BIG improvers in 2013.

We've seen it all before with new sides coming into our competition with massive hype about how they will rip the place apart & be an instant success only to witness those sides struggle to be competitive with the big boys ! I see nothing different with Rupertswood. It will take time for Rupo' to find their feet in the RDFL. How much time that will be is the sixty-four thousand dollar question ? ? ?

Big Bad Bazza, and a home ground advantage should give Broadford a few more wins than last season......But nothing else !

Not much has changed at Woodend. Fitsy will still be persisting with his young list but the status quo will still remain. Five wins !

My how the mighty have fallen, & so so quickly. Premiers in 2009 to shit kickers in 2012 ! Lancefield to tread water once again in '13.

Wallan are once again a side devoid of talent & direction. Dont tell Collingwood they wear the Magpie colors ! Three wins.......If they are lucky !

Melton are third....or forth on the pecking order when it comes to players deciding where they are going to play in the West.......And it shows ! Two wins.....Maybe ???

Sorry Doona :( I just cant see ANY positives this season for your boys from Kilmore. Players lost from an already ordinary list means you are in for a very....very long season.....Here's a thought mate - Pick the side, do your pre-match address, then walk across the road & back EVERY long shot in each race. I think you would have a much better & more enjoyable strike rate doin' that than getting a win for poor old Kilmore. 2 wins...cause I like you !

It's unlikely to go to a court as such, but AFL Victoria is the governing body and any "appeal" against a contract goes much deeper than if a player owes money or has property, so whilst to the letter of the law, your assessment might be accurate, in the AFL Victoria structure, it is incorrect. At an appeal, AFL Vic has made it very clear that if a player has signed a contract, then that contract is binding and will be enforced if the club that has the player signed choose to exercise that right. The leagues as such have nothing to do with the policing of these contracts, it all falls with AFL Victoria.

That's a good postion with AFLVic then. Like I said, it was some time ago so the worry for these 'community' organisations was that trying to enforce contracts would result in questions like 'so you're paying people...where's your tax status at?' or workers comp insurance...blah blah. You want to be like a real business, then start paying and reporting like one...by the way ASIC and ATO will look into you.

Personally I'm not a fan of paying blokes to play footy at these lower levels...the amount of money out there now for average players is ridiculous. Sadly the market dictates that you have too.

**Yes I'm bored at work today :)

That's a good postion with AFLVic then. Like I said, it was some time ago so the worry for these 'community' organisations was that trying to enforce contracts would result in questions like 'so you're paying people...where's your tax status at?' or workers comp insurance...blah blah. You want to be like a real business, then start paying and reporting like one...by the way ASIC and ATO will look into you.

Personally I'm not a fan of paying blokes to play footy at these lower levels...the amount of money out there now for average players is ridiculous. Sadly the market dictates that you have too.

Couldn't agree more.. The one thing I would REALLY like to see disappear from the Local footy landscape to remove much of this "contract" angst is the two year contract, it's a killer to those outside these massive paying leagues like the EDFL, WRFL etc.

I agree wholeheartedly Rgs011. I don't mind seeing blokes being paid a few bucks to cover fuel and pay for a few beers but the world has gone mad with some of the money some very ordinary players are being paid these days. I realise that some of the smaller towns need to pay some players to be competitive, but there is a couple of clubs that hardly have more than a few local boys playing seniors. It may come back to bite them when the money dries up and their locals have gone to opposition clubs or have given the game away.

The Riddell Umpires are now recruiting for the 2013 season.
  • No experience required
  • Girls, Boys, Women and Men of all ages welcome.
  • Expert coaching
  • All payment is tax free
  • Earn over $2000 in your first year !
For more information email enquiries@riddellumpires.com.au or visit our website at http://www.riddellumpires.com.au

And you blokes get the SHITS when a little criticism comes your way !!!
Unbelievable !!!

Thanks.... :thumbsu: I am gunna keep bumping this post every time one of you pedants "Squeals" about Umpire Bashing in the future !

And you blokes get the SHITS when a little criticism comes your way !!!
Unbelievable !!!

Thanks.... :thumbsu: I am gunna keep bumping this post every time one of you pedants "Squeals" about Umpire Bashing in the future ![/quote

After all the talk of contracts and "how much average players are paid to play" you think that because we can earn $2000 tax free that we deserve to accept criticism. The reason this stuff is being posted on bigfooty is to recruit new umpires because we are struggling for numbers at the moment. Not sure you would too happy if we ring your club and say sorry, we don't have sufficient umpires for your reserves this week. To earn $2000 dollars you either need to be a senior level umpire, umpire multiple games on a Saturday or umpire both Saturday and Sunday. By the time you add training and the fact that we have to buy uniforms (this is subsidised for 1st year umpires to help get them started) we don't earn that much. We do it for the love of the game.

If I umpire 18 senior games plus finals this year and let's say 2 senior finals (I would love to say 4) I will earn $2200. I need a totally new set of uniform so there is at least $100 gone. By the time we take into account umpires camp, membership and functions we have another $300 gone (1st year umpires wouldn't cost this much). The closest Rdfl venue to my house is 30km away and training is 40km so at least 150km per week for at least 25 weeks equals 3750km. At current petrol prices that is at least $500. Now, lets take into account the time we give up. At least 3 hours at training and at least 4 & 1/2 hours on a Saturday. 7 & 1/2 hours per week for 25 weeks equals 187 hours. $2200 minus (association costs, uniform, petrol) I will take home about $1300 so that works out to be about $6.95 an hour for me.

Well and truly worth some abuse. So maybe, give us a little bit of support, encourage someone to join umpiring and help make the RDFL an even better league.

Ps 1st week of preseason games and people already complaining about Semmo, SERIOUSLY!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After all the talk of contracts and "how much average players are paid to play" you think that because we can earn $2000 tax free that we deserve to accept criticism. The reason this stuff is being posted on bigfooty is to recruit new umpires because we are struggling for numbers at the moment. Not sure you would too happy if we ring your club and say sorry, we don't have sufficient umpires for your reserves this week. To earn $2000 dollars you either need to be a senior level umpire, umpire multiple games on a Saturday or umpire both Saturday and Sunday. By the time you add training and the fact that we have to buy uniforms (this is subsidised for 1st year umpires to help get them started) we don't earn that much. We do it for the love of the game.

If I umpire 18 senior games plus finals this year and let's say 2 senior finals (I would love to say 4) I will earn $2200. I need a totally new set of uniform so there is at least $100 gone. By the time we take into account umpires camp, membership and functions we have another $300 gone (1st year umpires wouldn't cost this much). The closest Rdfl venue to my house is 30km away and training is 40km so at least 150km per week for at least 25 weeks equals 3750km. At current petrol prices that is at least $500. Now, lets take into account the time we give up. At least 3 hours at training and at least 4 & 1/2 hours on a Saturday. 7 & 1/2 hours per week for 25 weeks equals 187 hours. $2200 minus (association costs, uniform, petrol) I will take home about $1300 so that works out to be about $6.95 an hour for me.

Well and truly worth some abuse. So maybe, give us a little bit of support, encourage someone to join umpiring and help make the RDFL an even better league.

Ps 1st week of preseason games and people already complaining about Semmo, SERIOUSLY!

RDFL Umpires said:
  • No experience required
  • Expert coaching
For more information email enquiries@riddellumpires.com.au or visit our website at http://www.riddellumpires.com.au

You're NOT seriously comparing that of what umpires earn to players are you ???
Please !!!
Firstly, the vast majority of players in the RDFL DONT get payed to play !
Second, football is a contact sport so players are at more risk of injury....& sometimes SERIOUS Injury !
Third, our attraction to the game is about going to watch the Football, ie- The players & the Contest....NOT the Umpires !
Fourth, when players play badly THEY GET DROPPED !!!
Fifth, players train 2 sometimes 3 times a week.
Sixth, players will be asked to play inter-league this season....GRATIS !!! Will the Umpires ???
There are just a few "minor" differences right there. I am sure given a little thought I could come up with many many more !

I have NO doubt that your detailed mathematical financial rationalisation of what Umpires earn is on the level. BUT those type of calculations serve absolutely NO POINT when it comes to the things we love doing, ie- like our sporting endeavoures.
If any current RDFL top line player or Coach used your method of arithmetic I have absolutely no doubt they would find they were actually earning NOTHING, NOUGHT, NADDA !!! Much less $6.95.....Consider yourself very fortunate !!!

I did also happen to notice in your little sums there, there was no mention of the "Perks" in the Gig of Umpiring !
How about FREE entry to ALL Football & Netball games......And Finals !!! 18 games x $10.00 = $180.00. 6 Finals x $12.00 = $72.00 1 Grand Final = $14.00...Total = $266.00 !!!......Not too bad eh for all that entertainment ???
Free booze or bevies after every game......NO mater how long you stay into the night !!! $???
There's just a couple off the top of my head......I'm sure there's others ???

Oh, I support Umpires.....The GOOD ONES ! (go back through my posts) That dont constantly whinge & make excuses (like you have !) for Umpiring ineptitude........And perish the thought that, come that day you do have NO Umpires to officiate in the Reserves give ME a ring I'd be more than happy to give the Two's a chop out so they could get a game......Even if I'm in a wheel chair I'd do a better job of keeping up & Umpiring than that FOOL you sent over for the seniors last week !!!
Seriously you had to be there...& you obviously were NOT !
12 fifty meter penalties & a send off in a practice match with NO spite !!! OMFG :eek:
I wont even utter that grandstanders name on here any more. He gets off on it. He is an embarrassing joke !

And I know PLENTY of blokes at several clubs that feel exactly the same way I do & would stand up & Umpire the Reserves anytime if it ment the difference between giving the guys a game of Footy & not.........GRATIS !!!

I don't want to get into a slanging match with you. Some players like Hall, Silvester, Tuckey, Farmer are probably paid very well and I'm sure heaps get nothing. Nothing to do with me. Good on the clubs that can pay. And good on all the people who support their club without financial help. I wish more would help.

That aside, all sports have paid umpires, referees etc. All I am saying is that we don't earn a lot to deserve in your words "a little criticism". A 14 yr old at maccas would take home more than me. All I'm asking for is a little support because we like you mainly do it for the love of the game and truly enjoy our league and only want to see it get stronger. And we need new umpires. We don't want to scare off 16 year old kids or guys that have just retired from playing because they think they will be criticised for what they do.

Also, we only get entry into the game we umpire and only get finals entry if we are umpiring. If a club wants to give us a drink its up to them. I think I got 2 cokes last season. Barely any extra incentive.

As I said, I don't want to get into a slanging match, just some support. Time to head out and umpire my first praccy for the year. Looking forward to it.

caught a bit pf the Wallan and yea game today, think Wallan may have won by a gola or two but it was an entertaining game of football. Took me a bit to realise where id seen one of the yea blokes before and asking around it was the boy werne from Broadford he played well. Wallan move the ball pretty quick at times but may be a little small compared to the temas like Sunbury,Romsey,diggers Rest. quite a few of Broadford blokes there watching, the guy who told me who Werne was said they have covered him and then pointed out another 3 Broadford boys playing at Yea. Pretty confident of playing finals and wehn I said how well the young Wallan boys were running he said weve got them more than covered. He wasn;t a player maybe a dad and seemed a nice bloke he also said a few Wallan kids have gone to play 3rds at broadford which as an outsider seems strange.

RDFL Umpires said:
  • No experience required
  • Expert coaching

You're NOT seriously comparing that of what umpires earn to players are you ???
Please !!!
Firstly, the vast majority of players in the RDFL DONT get payed to play !
Second, football is a contact sport so players are at more risk of injury....& sometimes SERIOUS Injury !
Third, our attraction to the game is about going to watch the Football, ie- The players & the Contest....NOT the Umpires !
Fourth, when players play badly THEY GET DROPPED !!!
Fifth, players train 2 sometimes 3 times a week.
Sixth, players will be asked to play inter-league this season....GRATIS !!! Will the Umpires ???
There are just a few "minor" differences right there. I am sure given a little thought I could come up with many many more !

I have NO doubt that your detailed mathematical financial rationalisation of what Umpires earn is on the level. BUT those type of calculations serve absolutely NO POINT when it comes to the things we love doing, ie- like our sporting endeavoures.
If any current RDFL top line player or Coach used your method of arithmetic I have absolutely no doubt they would find they were actually earning NOTHING, NOUGHT, NADDA !!! Much less $6.95.....Consider yourself very fortunate !!!

I did also happen to notice in your little sums there, there was no mention of the "Perks" in the Gig of Umpiring !
How about FREE entry to ALL Football & Netball games......And Finals !!! 18 games x $10.00 = $180.00. 6 Finals x $12.00 = $72.00 1 Grand Final = $14.00...Total = $266.00 !!!......Not too bad eh for all that entertainment ???
Free booze or bevies after every game......NO mater how long you stay into the night !!! $???
There's just a couple off the top of my head......I'm sure there's others ???

Oh, I support Umpires.....The GOOD ONES ! (go back through my posts) That dont constantly whinge & make excuses (like you have !) for Umpiring ineptitude........And perish the thought that, come that day you do have NO Umpires to officiate in the Reserves give ME a ring I'd be more than happy to give the Two's a chop out so they could get a game......Even if I'm in a wheel chair I'd do a better job of keeping up & Umpiring than that FOOL you sent over for the seniors last week !!!
Seriously you had to be there...& you obviously were NOT !
12 fifty meter penalties & a send off in a practice match with NO spite !!! OMFG :eek:
I wont even utter that grandstanders name on here any more. He gets off on it. He is an embarrassing joke !

And I know PLENTY of blokes at several clubs that feel exactly the same way I do & would stand up & Umpire the Reserves anytime if it ment the difference between giving the guys a game of Footy & not.........GRATIS !!!

Ridiculous post. Can't be bothered to explain why but in a few words we need umpires to play the game and for supporters to watch games, a shortage of them because of negativity is far from helping them take it up in their droves. Good/bad, just play and if your team is good enough, you'll win 90% of your matches... Always exceptions but get over it.

It was a solid hitout for the Rams.. Gordon were undermanned though and there is plenty of work to do for the boys, but really pleasing part of the day were the numbers available for both games and some of the football played in patches was really encouraging.

Practice match results from the weekend people?

Kilmore 12.7 def Avenel 10.5. Some positive moments of football and also some highlighted areas that need attention. Just hope we haven't wasted one of Omni's 2 Kilmore wins in March :)

Final hit out vs Kinglake Friday week for us, anyone got games over Easter for us non religious types?

Pretty sure Broadford had a win too.

Kilmore 12.7 def Avenel 10.5. Some positive moments of football and also some highlighted areas that need attention. Just hope we haven't wasted one of Omni's 2 Kilmore wins in March :)

Final hit out vs Kinglake Friday week for us, anyone got games over Easter for us non religious types?

Pretty sure Broadford had a win too.

All in the EDFL I think mate.. I know that Keilor plays Strathmore on Good Friday :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back