RDFL Thread - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You make some fine points, & I agree & support much of what you say.
Sorry about the tardiness of my reply. I have been away for a few weeks.
Whatsmore your reply is intelligent & respectful. Well done & good luck with the season ahead. :thumbsu:

Not a problem OMNI. Thanks it has already been a good start to the season. I too ventured up the hume to watch the Broadford vs Lancefield. Just I watched it from a slightly closer position than you and had a whistle in my hand (You can round me down to 1 of 3 people now). I appreciate the positive feedback from our game in your later post. I think the game really played itself and made it easy for us to umpire. Good work to Broadford on an excellent day (on and off field) and well done Lancefield, who look to be heading in a great direction. Great to see blokes like Collins and Sherwan back. Really looking forward to this weeks game. Should be an absolute cracker.

I will say one thing though, there were 2 occasions that goals were questioned, all seemed above board to me (I was midzone at both occasions), and I was able to observe the goal umpires in excellent position. Broadford like a couple of other grounds in the league don't have the tallest posts. The taller they are, the easier the interpretation. If it goes over a post it is hard to work out exactly where the ball was. Not an excuse if we got it wrong, but I will honestly say that it wasn't anything to do with Barry Hall. We all make mistakes, I will admit that I paid a free kick to Lancefield and after watching the footage on the RDFL website, I got it horribly wrong. Lucky for me it had no effect on the game.

Massive weekend of football this week.. can't wait to see the new kids on the block, Rupertswood take on the Sunbury Kangaroos.. looking forward to catching Leigh Brennan in action after kicking 60 goals last year for Rupertswood.. it's going to be one mighty clash.. Riddell and Diggers Rest will go head-to-head in a big clash .. best of luck to Scobes in his first year as senior coach of the Bombers.. hopefully the Foreman lads will get a jumper, extremely talented.. this match will be as good as any other of the round.. Macedon will sport their old Port Melbourne jumpers.. I received photos of some of the stars sporting the jumper and they look awesome.. hope the mighty Hawks give them a push.. Kilmore and Wallan will battle it out and its exciting that 98.3 OKR FM will be broadcasting that game.. they did a great job with us last week and have some super media talent on there that will match the talent of the guys on the track :) Hoping Rockbank really challenge Melton Centrals at MacPherson Park.. that will be a treat to watch for anyone that gets there.. I've heard the Centrals were really good on the weekend.. Wheels' deserves all the success he gets as a coach of the Centrals.. terrific guy and he has really turned that team around in the last 12 months.. its ultra exciting that football is back!!!
Looking forward to having a run in the Under 18s at Sunbury with old mate Butters.. it will be exciting to see some of last year's Under 16 grand finalist stars up close in the Under 18s for the Roos and even more exciting to see the Rupertswood juniors take to the park.. bring it on!!

Not a problem OMNI. Thanks it has already been a good start to the season. I too ventured up the hume to watch the Broadford vs Lancefield. Just I watched it from a slightly closer position than you and had a whistle in my hand (You can round me down to 1 of 3 people now). I appreciate the positive feedback from our game in your later post. I think the game really played itself and made it easy for us to umpire. Good work to Broadford on an excellent day (on and off field) and well done Lancefield, who look to be heading in a great direction. Great to see blokes like Collins and Sherwan back. Really looking forward to this weeks game. Should be an absolute cracker.

I will say one thing though, there were 2 occasions that goals were questioned, all seemed above board to me (I was midzone at both occasions), and I was able to observe the goal umpires in excellent position. Broadford like a couple of other grounds in the league don't have the tallest posts. The taller they are, the easier the interpretation. If it goes over a post it is hard to work out exactly where the ball was. Not an excuse if we got it wrong, but I will honestly say that it wasn't anything to do with Barry Hall. We all make mistakes, I will admit that I paid a free kick to Lancefield and after watching the footage on the RDFL website, I got it horribly wrong. Lucky for me it had no effect on the game.
I thought you guys did an awesome job.. the communication from all three of you was clear.. verbally and especially non-verbally (sitting on the fence it was all clear to see).. it's really great to see that the umpire fraternity is off to a great start with all the coaching sessions over the summer! Keep up the great work mate!

Massive weekend of football this week.. can't wait to see the new kids on the block, Rupertswood take on the Sunbury Kangaroos.. looking forward to catching Leigh Brennan in action after kicking 60 goals last year for Rupertswood.. it's going to be one mighty clash.. Riddell and Diggers Rest will go head-to-head in a big clash .. best of luck to Scobes in his first year as senior coach of the Bombers.. hopefully the Foreman lads will get a jumper, extremely talented.. this match will be as good as any other of the round.. Macedon will sport their old Port Melbourne jumpers.. I received photos of some of the stars sporting the jumper and they look awesome.. hope the mighty Hawks give them a push.. Kilmore and Wallan will battle it out and its exciting that 98.3 OKR FM will be broadcasting that game.. they did a great job with us last week and have some super media talent on there that will match the talent of the guys on the track :) Hoping Rockbank really challenge Melton Centrals at MacPherson Park.. that will be a treat to watch for anyone that gets there.. I've heard the Centrals were really good on the weekend.. Wheels' deserves all the success he gets as a coach of the Centrals.. terrific guy and he has really turned that team around in the last 12 months.. its ultra exciting that football is back!!!
Looking forward to having a run in the Under 18s at Sunbury with old mate Butters.. it will be exciting to see some of last year's Under 16 grand finalist stars up close in the Under 18s for the Roos and even more exciting to see the Rupertswood juniors take to the park.. bring it on!!

Could you post the photos, Chris?

How is everyone expecting Rupertswood to go against Sunbury? It'll be a big challenge for them up against the reigning premiers first up. My tip is Sunbury by 26.

Could you post the photos, Chris?
Absolutely :)
MFCApril12.jpg

You Umpired that match ??? I had NO idea !
Good job, once again. I think you do yourself & the other blokes a disservice in playing down your performance on Sunday though pal.
In a game riddled with skill errors & turn overs, & clumsy players changing direction much more often than they should. You could have quite easily paid a free kick for every movement of play ! You didn't, & the contest became a spectacle because of that. Well done !
I wouldn't worry about the odd mistake pal, & I'm sure no one would EVER criticise or crucify any Umpire for that. The single biggest & important issue for players with regard to Umpires & Umpiring & in fact spectators alike is........... CONSISTENCY !!!
Through ALL the Umpires & their decisions their interpretation of the rules SHOULD be the SAME ! And it should remain that way for the whole entirety of the 4 quarters of the game !

And yes, I love the new concept the League have bought in about recording games & putting the footage up on their website. Its a great innovation. The RDFL are to be commended for this & it should certainly spell the end of ANY untoward incidents going on in the field of play...................Or ONE recidivist problem Umpire petulantly grandstanding in the future. :cool:

What game have you got this week, may I ask ?
I really think you & your other 2 counterparts from Sunday should put in to officiate at the Match of the round this Saturday between the Bombers & the Burras at Riddell mate ??? I think it should be a cracker !!! :thumbsu:

Good job, once again. I think you do yourself & the other blokes a disservice in playing down your performance on Sunday though pal.
In a game riddled with skill errors & turn overs, & clumsy players changing direction much more often than they should. You could have quite easily paid a free kick for every movement of play ! You didn't, & the contest became a spectacle because of that. Well done !
I wouldn't worry about the odd mistake pal, & I'm sure no one would EVER criticise or crucify any Umpire for that. The single biggest & important issue for players with regard to Umpires & Umpiring & in fact spectators alike is........... CONSISTENCY !!!
Through ALL the Umpires & their decisions their interpretation of the rules SHOULD be the SAME ! And it should remain that way for the whole entirety of the 4 quarters of the game !

And yes, I love the new concept the League have bought in about recording games & putting the footage up on their website. Its a great innovation. The RDFL are to be commended for this & it should certainly spell the end of ANY untoward incidents going on in the field of play...................Or ONE recidivist problem Umpire petulantly grandstanding in the future. :cool:

I really think you & your other 2 counterparts from Sunday should put in to officiate at the Match of the round this Saturday between the Bombers & the Burras at Riddell mate ??? I think it should be a cracker !!! :thumbsu:

I will be making my way over to sunbury to watch the kangas unveil their premiership flag and to welcome rupo to the league. I think the game will be great. The riddell vs diggers game should also be a cracker. I'm pretty sure that game has 3 umpires and it does include at least one of Sundays umpires. Not sure of the others. But I expect you will get a similar performance to Sunday no matter who it is.

I like the look of Macedon's new guernsey. It's great that there will be less of a clash with teams like Melton centrals. Will they wear this top against diggers rest. I know the pattern is significantly different but the colours are fairly similar. I must say that some games can be very difficult to umpire when there are similar colours.

I will be making my way over to sunbury to watch the kangas unveil their premiership flag and to welcome rupo to the league. I think the game will be great. The riddell vs diggers game should also be a cracker. I'm pretty sure that game has 3 umpires and it does include at least one of Sundays umpires. Not sure of the others. But I expect you will get a similar performance to Sunday no matter who it is.

I like the look of Macedon's new guernsey. It's great that there will be less of a clash with teams like Melton centrals. Will they wear this top against diggers rest. I know the pattern is significantly different but the colours are fairly similar. I must say that some games can be very difficult to umpire when there are similar colours.

I dont think it is their "NEW" guernsey per se pal. I think it is just for this round. I could be wrong, but I think they are holding a Fundraiser/reunion up there for their 125years or something this week-end & that is their jumper to celebrate the occasion.
Anyway good luck with your game this week. :thumbsu:
Oh & how are the Umpire numbers or lack of, going anyway at this juncture ?

Just on the Macedon FC issue. I think it could bring up some old wounds regarding the club. For those that don't know the history of the club, Macedon FC is called just that because it owed money and was broke. So it "disbanded" and started under a new, but similar name. New jumper etc. Wearing the old jumper suggests to me that the club really is the same entity. It could upset a few people.

Jack's tips for the remainder of round 1.
Best of luck to all teams...

Sunbury Kangaroos v Rupertswood
Wallan v Kilmore
Melton Centrals v Rockbank
Riddell v Diggers Rest
Macedon v Woodend

I dont think it is their "NEW" guernsey per se pal. I think it is just for this round. I could be wrong, but I think they are holding a Fundraiser/reunion up there for their 125years or something this week-end & that is their jumper to celebrate the occasion.
Anyway good luck with your game this week. :thumbsu:
Oh & how are the Umpire numbers or lack of, going anyway at this juncture ?

Numbers aren't great. We have plently of Goal umpires but we are fairly short in the field and could definitely do with some more boundary umpires. We need 40 umpires in each discipline each week to cover all games. Our field umpire losses this season are in double digits and we haven't had much new blood at all. Currently, we don't have 40 saturday field umpires so there will be some people doubling up in U/18 and reserves. This will become even more difficult as the season progresses as there are always injuries and unavailabilities. Also the coaching panels do not want senior umpires doing doubles as the priority is for fit, fresh umpires doing their best in the top match of the day.

So if anyone out there is interested in having a crack at umpiring, i say give it a go. Doesn't matter your background, young, old, fit, female, male, larger than life, someone who kicked a footy till last year, someone still kicking a footy this year (juniors), someone who has never kicked a footy. Umpiring is a rewarding challenge, mentally, physically and best of all financially (You could earn up to $2000 tax free) . We are a friendly and supportive group and you will be surprised by the team like atmosphere. If you are 15 or so, ask yourself the question, would you rather stack shelves at a supermarket or watch a game of footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G'day folks,

Long time reader, first time poster. Been following the RDFL from a distance and am very excited to now be part of this league. Its great to feel the buzz around the local league.

Very much looking fwd to developing some great rivalries starting with tomorrows game against the reigning premiers. No doubt sunba97 will have his boys raring to go, especially with the unveiling of the flag. Also looking fwd to coming up against a few ex-rupo boys who are still good mates off the field. Will be great to catch up over a beer after the game. I reckon this could be one of the great rivalries going ahead.

Will be a tough test for us newcomers but looking fwd to the challenge.

Good luck to all sides this weekend.

I hope they wear this for our game this year. We have been proactive the last three years or so to avoid the clash, be good if they can return the favour. ;)

On another note, the Melton v Rockbank game is sure to be a cracker! Big thanks to the captains who took time out of their Easter break to promote the game locally and in the RDFL. We have had a bit of press in the local papers and I know both clubs have been doing their bit on social media. Big thanks to IMS for his support too to promote the game.

I hope they wear this for our game this year. We have been proactive the last three years or so to avoid the clash, be good if they can return the favour. ;)

On another note, the Melton v Rockbank game is sure to be a cracker! Big thanks to the captains who took time out of their Easter break to promote the game locally and in the RDFL. We have had a bit of press in the local papers and I know both clubs have been doing their bit on social media. Big thanks to IMS for his support too to promote the game.

The Melton vs Rockbank game should be a cracker. Looks like Rockbank have recruited reasonably well so they will be up and about. Went and watched Melton last week and thought number 3 was very good in the middle and obviously the big fella up forward will be a handful. I reckon Melton will be too potent.

Rupo and Sunbury looms as a huge rivalry. Lots of ex Rupo players are at Sunbury. It will be interesting to see how the different styles of footy counter each other. I think Sunbury will get up but only just as I hear they have quite a few guys not in the country at the moment.

Another rivalry game with Riddell and Diggers. Both teams look to have topped up a bit. I am also hearing Diggers have some big outs for the first part of the year and Riddell are having similar problems. Will still be a great game. These 2 sides always turn it on. I reckon Riddell might get up with revenge for last year a factor.

Round 1 is here (despite the games last week) and we are off and racing with some of the biggest rivalries in the RDFNL to kick things off.. What a way to start the season!!!!!!! With Broadford already having a win in the bag for Round 1 (Centrals have a win in the bag for Rd 8).

Sunbury Kangaroos Vs Rupertswood
The Sunbury Kangaroos get to kick off thier premiership defense by unfurling the 2012 premiership flag against local and hopefully long term rival Rupertswood. The Roos have several former "Rupo" players amongst the premiership list which will ensure that this rivalry kicks off on the right foot.
Key Additions:
Sunbury: Darragh McGovern - The former Rupo midfielder was one of the Roos standouts in 2011 before work took him away from the 2012 season, where he spent the year at Sunbury Lions performing the runners duties. He returns from his season away looking to fill a spot in the Roos midfield.
Rupertswood: Brett Sinnett - A player made for the RDFNL, likes the contested ball and can win plenty of it, whether he has returned to the club to play senior football remains to be seen, but last I saw he was definitely up for it.
Perceptions:
There is no doubting the perception that Rupo will be an exciting unit that is coming into the competition with a specific game style based on space and spread, the perception that they might be exposed if the game becomes contested will well and truly be put to the test against the reigning premiers. The Kangaroos are the best stoppage team in the competition and will no doubt try to test the newcomers in this area.
Key Player:
Sunbury: Chris Meacham - Despite the retirement talk, it is likely that Meacham will line up this week for the Roos due to some key players missing this week on an overseas trip. Make no mistake, Meacham is a dangerous opponent for Rupo, he still booted 50 goals last year on the back of missing several games and is always a strong performer "first up".
Rupertswood: Luke Brennan - Without knowing too much about Rupo going into Round 1, Brennan showed some excellent signs last week in the practice match against Sunbury Lions without too many opportunities up forward. The forward booted 50+ of his own last year and will definitely be one to watch in 2013.
Prediction: Sunbury Kangaroos to get the jump early and despite getting into the flow of the game during the day, Rupo will find it tough to claw their way back into the game. Sunbury by 20 points.

Wallan Vs Kilmore
The traditional rivals Wallan and Kilmore kick off the season again in a battle that always offers entertainment for those at Northern end of town. Both teams have had a tough off season with both suffering significant list losses.
Key Additions:
Kilmore: Tom Butterworth - An excellent get for the Blues, he last played in the RDFNL at Broadford when the now Kilmore coach Doona2 coached there. He is a big strong target, something that the Blues have missed the past few years.
Wallan: Shannon Mccleish - Certainly stood out last week, with the losses at Wallan this year, his strong body and ability to win the contested football is a welcome addition to the Magpies.
Perceptions:
Both of these sides face the perception that they lack top end talent, the Magpies have a raft of youngsters that show glimpses of the future and will no doubt have an impact in games this year. The Blues are much the same, they have several young talented players that will get plenty of experience being blooded this year.
Key Player:
Wallan: Justin Collis - Despite not being named in the best last week, Collis was the Magpies clear best, at all stages he looks as though he can impact the result of the game with his ability to not only win the ball but impact the scoreboard.
Kilmore: Adam Goudge - The long time skipper of the Blues gives his all every week, he will no doubt be at the bottom of every pack again busting his rump for the best result for his team. Despite not being the flashiest of players, every coach would love a "Goudgie" at their club.
Prediction: Wallan has controlled these Round 1 contests in recent years, it's almost like the Carlton Vs Richmond Rd 1 battles, when many pick Kilmore to finally break through, it's the Magpies that get the job done. Like every other year, I will roll the dice again in 2013. Kilmore by 14 points.

Melton Centrals Vs Rockbank
Another clash of traditional rivals, these clashes always have some added bite in them and this one promises to be no different. Centrals got their season off to a flyer with their Rd 8 victory over Wallan and front up this week promising plenty in thier mission to improve on last years finals finish. The Rams have worked hard off field to add stability to the club, and after retaining most of the list from last year, they will be ready to compete with every club this year.
Key Additions:
Melton Centrals: Nathan Richardson - The strong midfielder made a statement to the competition last week against Wallan with a dominant performance through the middle of the ground, uses the ball well and kicked 3 goals to top it off.
Rockbank: Steve Hanning - The Rams were lucky enough to snare this talented half forward over the off season, he will provide plenty of run and carry through the forward 50.
Perceptions:
The perception that Centrals have made huge improvements off field and on field is quickly become a reality, the work put in by the committee and of course the coaching staff has made Centrals a finals contender for years to come. The Rams are perceived as a side that many are happy to walk away from with 4 points and no injuries, but the "Caravan Park" perception is one that the club is eager to move away from.
Prediction: Rockbank

Macedon Vs Woodend/Hesket
The matchup for the Tunn Cup is always an excellent contest and this year promises to be no different. Both sides will be eager to start the season off on a flyer, especially the Cats who are predicted to rise up the RDFNL ladder in 2013.
Key Additions:
Macedon: Tim Lyon - Returning to the RDFNL, this former Centrals midfielder was a well known name only a few short years ago prior to moving to Geelong to play football. It will be interesting to see the form that he has returned in.
Woodend/Hesket: Samuel Wood - It's great to see one of the youngsters that left the club last year return for 2013, building young players is the specialty of Glen Hopkins and Wood is a long term senior player in the making.
Perceptions:
The long term perception that Macedon struggle with the contested game has been addressed in the recruiting of the club as well as a full preseason for Goodwin. Closing the gap here has long been the perceived issue for the Cats to face. Development is the perception at Woodend, and whilst this is the case, it would be a great idea to remember back to the work that Glen Hopkins did at Diggers Rest with young players and how quickly thier improvement was achieved.
Key Player:
Macedon: Darren Goodwin - Long time star of the Cats has by all reports had a big preseason, he is one of the more popular players in the competition due to the way he goes about the game.
Woodend/Hesket: James Hepburn - The talented small forward isn't the most popular on field figure in the competition, but he is a livewire who is vital to his teams results. If Hepburn has a big game up forward, then the Hawks are likely to be in the game.
Prediction: The Hawks will continue to build over the course of the season, but the Cats would no doubt see their time as now. They should kick the season off in style. Macedon by 35 points.

Match of the Round
Riddell Vs Diggers Rest
Make no mistake, this rivalry is as big as it gets in the RDFNL, especially in recent times, these two sides have met in 3 recent Grand Finals as well as the Semi Final last year. The Burra had a big year in 2012, but after being knocked out in the Preliminary Final, there is only one result they will be hunting this year, another Grand Final berth. Standing in their way might just be the same side that has been in their way in the past. The Bombers have recruited strongly over the off season and will be right in the mix again.
Key Additions:
Riddell: Ant Sammut - With so many good recruits in 2013, Sammut might be the point of difference for the Bombers, another ball winning type that will impact the contest.
Diggers Rest: Adam Richardson - The recruit from the Ballarat FL is a fantastic get for the Burra's, adding depth to an already strong list.
Perceptions:
The recent perception that the Bombers were winding down due to the key players at the club getting a bit older and worn down, they will be looking to smash that perception this year with some strong recruiting and some of the more recent recruits into their 2nd and 3rd years at the club. The Burra were perceived as the best side in the competition last year for much of the year, they will be keen to prove a point after not making the Grand Final.
Key Player:
Riddell: Jarrod Silvester - The big man will be a handful now that he is settled into the club, his on field performances improved every week last year and the expectations on him in 2013 will be high.
Diggers Rest: Brent Tuckey - The man is just a down right star, his ability to win the football and use it well is the key to the Burra.
Prediction: This is a cracking way to kick off the season, two of the best sides going at it head to head.. Diggers Rest by 2 points.

Just on the Macedon FC issue. I think it could bring up some old wounds regarding the club. For those that don't know the history of the club, Macedon FC is called just that because it owed money and was broke. So it "disbanded" and started under a new, but similar name. New jumper etc. Wearing the old jumper suggests to me that the club really is the same entity. It could upset a few people.
It is being used just for tomorrow's game.. they have great new facilities at the ground.. playing for the Bill Tunn Cup against an old foe.. massive season launch over the weekend.. great chance to rip into the colours for one game.. great day ahead :)

How many 18's sides are in this year? Kilmore and Melton Centrals are out from what I know.

Mongrels tips!!!!

Sunbury vs rupo: kangas by 48 points.

The defensive players of ploog, Walsh, Gregory and Sutherland will be too much for Brennan and the rupo side.

Wallan vs Kilmore: wallan by 27 points!
Kilmore will take it to them all day but the experience and heavy bodies from wallan will be too much

Centrals vs rockbank: centrals by 40 points

Riddell vs diggers: Riddell by 16 points in a cracker

Macedon vs woodend: cats by 47 points.

OMNI'S Round ??? (Tomorrow) Tips !!!

Sunbury finally grew some balls & ante-ed up in the bidding war & gave the big "Fish" his "Chips" !..... he deserves. He will once again prove his worth & the Kangas should get the points over a fledgeling Rupo' outfit to the tune of 36pts.

Wallan at home should get the points over the kids from Kilmore by 23pts.

Melton to prevail at home in the toss of a coin result by 5pts over a much improved Rockbank line up.

Diggers Rest have no fear playing the Bombers at home & I think they may just get a hard fought victory up here once again by 7pts.

Macedon at home, to prevail by 27pts in a NO brainer over the Woodend Hawks.

Good Luck Everyone !!! :thumbsu:

OMNI'S Round ??? (Tomorrow) Tips !!!

ver a fledgeling Rupo' outfit to the tune of 36pts.

Wallan at home should get the points over the kids from Kilmore by 23pts.

Melton to prevail at home in the toss of a coin result by 5pts over a much improved Rockbank line up.

Diggers Rest have no fear playing the Bombers at home & I think they may just get a hard fought victory up here once again by 7pts.

Macedon at home, to prevail by 27pts in a NO brainer over the Woodend Hawks.

Good Luck Everyone !!! :thumbsu:

Sunbury
finally grew some balls & ante-ed up in the bidding war & gave the big "Fish" his "Chips" !

I wouldn't read into fish signing at Kansas just yet, apparently some edfl clubs have been in touch and the big fella is deciding, stay tuned!

Riddell just hung on, to get up over Diggers by 5pts in a ripper of a see-sawing contest by two quallity football sides.
Final Scores - Riddell 12. 13. 85. Def' Diggers Rest 12. 8. 80.

Umpiring was "serviceable". A low "C" pass ! Too many free kicks. 2 Unnecessary send offs. Slow boundary Umpires. And another couple of "Dubious" goal Umpiring decisions !

Riddell just hung on, to get up over Diggers by 5pts in a ripper of a see-sawing contest by two quallity football sides.
Final Scores - Riddell 12. 13. 85. Def' Diggers Rest 12. 8. 80.

Umpiring was "serviceable". A low "C" pass ! Too many free kicks. 2 Unnecessary send offs. Slow boundary Umpires. And another couple of "Dubious" goal Umpiring decisions !
Any other results? Like Rupo and Sunbury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back