RDFNL 2018 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting snippet on Facebook on The Local Footy Show page from the Yarra Valley Rangers footy league president on the merge of some of AFL South East to the Yarra Valley League. Was mentioned of working with leagues including Goldfields to establish sustainable footy in the Kinglake area would this mean Broadford ? For those of you on facebook follow this page as it really gives a great insight into the struggles AFL is going through ATM.

Seems AFL Vic are working in stealth again with tampering with stuff at TAC level, will be eagerly waiting to see how they go with this. With the introduction of Next Generation Academy's the talent pathway seems to be getting murkier weekly. This is without the private companies making good $$'s with their training camps.

On a slightly different note really disheartening to read in the locals of the struggles for the GDCA with powerful clubs asking to drop grades in the upcoming season due to lack of numbers, if this is an indication of commitment to sport in the area look out footy.

For all those that are so passionate and committed to footy in the RDFL early mail is there maybe spot/spots vacated on the board, hope those that are quick to point fingers will put there hands up.

This goes against everything this thread stands for ... far too much sense, logic and honesty there Halffull.

In saying that I agree 100% with (and share) all these sentiments, when football at the upper elechon's are having transparency issues, maybe I (yeh admit it) at times have been a bit hard on AFL Goldfields. Perhaps they too are in the dark a bit with what City Hall is actually up to, and aren't in the position (or have permission) to actually roll out what the end game actually is???

Either way things are getting more serious around the state than anyone ever realised.
Boundaries have to start shifting NOW, not in 18 months or so .... or is that the END GAME? Let natural attrition kick in, let some clubs tip over or merge, and then the dirty work doesn't have to be done and then just restrucute/realign whatevers left?

Come on AFL Vic give us something please, a lot of people who have devoted decades upon decades to grassroots community sport deserve it.

Vacant RDFL Board positions advertised where? Maybe guys like IMS, Rob Beatson could be a chance? Lads who actually network and get around, willing to talk to folk at ALL clubs and are genuinely passionate about football in the RDFL boundary line.
Could it be the perfect time for our old pal OMNI to dust himself and rattle some cages around the Boardroom Table?

Last edited:
Interesting snippet on Facebook on The Local Footy Show page from the Yarra Valley Rangers footy league president on the merge of some of AFL South East to the Yarra Valley League. Was mentioned of working with leagues including Goldfields to establish sustainable footy in the Kinglake area would this mean Broadford ? For those of you on facebook follow this page as it really gives a great insight into the struggles AFL is going through ATM.

Seems AFL Vic are working in stealth again with tampering with stuff at TAC level, will be eagerly waiting to see how they go with this. With the introduction of Next Generation Academy's the talent pathway seems to be getting murkier weekly. This is without the private companies making good $$'s with their training camps.

On a slightly different note really disheartening to read in the locals of the struggles for the GDCA with powerful clubs asking to drop grades in the upcoming season due to lack of numbers, if this is an indication of commitment to sport in the area look out footy.

For all those that are so passionate and committed to footy in the RDFL early mail is there maybe spot/spots vacated on the board, hope those that are quick to point fingers will put there hands up.

Where do the Board advertise the ability to nominate?
I also call on RDFNL Board and AFL Goldfields to start leading the way on the future BEFORE clubs fall over or leave, I really need the RDFL to stay in the structure of football after all we are the oldest league in existence and our history is too strong to just fade away.

Need some one with some balls to hit up the executive and show them this and tell them or ask what is the plan going forward if they can’t give you answers kick em out

This commission is very clear with what they have planned for their stakeholders, not only in 2018 but well beyond
What clubs they see joining in the future
Take note Goldfields, learn from this
Be transparent, honest, and tell the stakeholders your grand plans
Because we as clubs might not like what you think is best for us
It will then give the clubs a chance to see what/where they fit
I tend to agree with Doona here, maybe they just want natural attrition to take over and the big wigs don't look bad
Just remember fat cats
It's our game not yours

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good on them, good to experience new things and options hey.
I hope it hasn't been treated negatively by the RDFNL and pressured the club if fielding a full compliment of netball sides became untenable.
I know over this way in the past both Kilmore and Broadford weren't exactly applauded for what teams they could muster up, but more hassled as to why they couldn't.

I just hope whether you move or stay, that those who actually vote support it as past history at two clubs for me it hasn't exaclty played out swimmingly in it's origin.
Spot on Doons that is the key to this, let’s have a vote and then support the decision made.
Many people at the Kangas who work tirelessly to make the club better have decided to put this to a vote and once a decision is made back the club 100%

You wonder whether the lack of action is actually THE ACTION. You go to the footy each week and talk to lots of people that have been supporting local footy for some time, not sure about you guys but generally majority of people that I talk to have similar thoughts and ideas on whats required to ensure sustainability of footy in the region. Yet the people paid full time do not make any strategic decisions or engage with clubs strategically about the future. It is actually mindblowing. You would guarantee that there would have been more time spent this year organising trips to cairns, gold coast, central australia than what there has been organising a think tank of clubs to come together and talk about the comps future.

You wonder whether the lack of action is actually THE ACTION. You go to the footy each week and talk to lots of people that have been supporting local footy for some time, not sure about you guys but generally majority of people that I talk to have similar thoughts and ideas on whats required to ensure sustainability of footy in the region. Yet the people paid full time do not make any strategic decisions or engage with clubs strategically about the future. It is actually mindblowing. You would guarantee that there would have been more time spent this year organising trips to cairns, gold coast, central australia than what there has been organising a think tank of clubs to come together and talk about the comps future.
The people that are supporting local footy for some time, must be members of clubs. Then why are these local footy supporters not asking their clubs executive to raise these concerns with the RDFL. The way it looks is that club executives seem removed from their members views by endorsing the RDFL direction through their inactions.

The people that are supporting local footy for some time, must be members of clubs. Then why are these local footy supporters not asking their clubs executive to raise these concerns with the RDFL. The way it looks is that club executives seem removed from their members views by endorsing the RDFL direction through their inactions.

Inaction is a tough call, my experience is every club and their executives are all volunteers who work bloody hard for nothing, nudda, nilch above and beyond in most cases for their respective clubs. Not like the GF executives and other paid positions which sucks the very life out of clubs with the excessive fees demanded to finance ever increasing league positions and list of ‘other’ new projects outside the main mandate of the league instead of focusing on and supporting the clubs they are meant to be ‘working for’.

RDFNL clubs and their executives like most clubs have their own work life balance to contend with outside of their football commitments, and as individuals we are powerless to affect any real change and trying to unite all clubs to speak as one voice has been tried and proven difficult in the past, if we could achieve that then maybe we could force both leagues to sit up and listen and focus inwardly on the issues often been raised on this site by many with more skin in the game then me, plus many others issues not mentioned here.

They should be addressing the underlying reason why clubs are wanting to leave, high affiliation and other annual fees #1 that are crippling most clubs, finding ways to bolster and provide incentives to clubs struggling to field U19.5 teams, which in IMO is one of the most important issues we as a league should be addressing for the long term future of clubs and competitiveness of the RDFNL league, just to name a few, wake up and smell the roses GF & RDFNL there is a strong seed of discontent growing that needs to be addressed before it too late.

But hey (insert cynical tone here) we have an annual club/league survey which is designed to ask questions as set by the GF which are used to make decisions or changes that affect us all. They then tell us ‘the majority of clubs voted’ for this or that decision and we are supposed to just accept these decisions without any transparency, this for me and many other club executives I have spoken to is where the ‘lack of any transparency’ creates discontent, cynicism and a general apathy towards both leagues and it executives who also appear to be happy to let issues confronting clubs bubble along and let the chips fall as they may. Inaction from the leagues to the very real issues affecting clubs is the problem not inaction from the clubs and their executives IMHO.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yet the people paid full time do not make any strategic decisions or engage with clubs strategically about the future. It is actually mindblowing.
Inaction is a tough call, my experience is every club and their executives are all volunteers who work bloody hard for nothing, nudda, nilch above and beyond in most cases for their respective clubs. Not like the GF executives and other paid positions which sucks the very life out of clubs with the excessive fees demanded to finance ever increasing league positions and list of ‘other’ new projects outside the main mandate of the league instead of focusing on and supporting the clubs they are meant to be ‘working for’.

RDFNL clubs and their executives like most clubs have their own work life balance to contend with outside of their football commitments, and as individuals we are powerless to affect any real change and trying to unite all clubs to speak as one voice has been tried and proven difficult in the past, if we could achieve that then maybe we could force both leagues to sit up and listen and focus inwardly on the issues often been raised on this site by many with more skin in the game then me, plus many others issues not mentioned here.

They should be addressing the underlying reason why clubs are wanting to leave, high affiliation and other annual fees #1 that are crippling most clubs, finding ways to bolster and provide incentives to clubs struggling to field U19.5 teams, which in IMO is one of the most important issues we as a league should be addressing for the long term future of clubs and competitiveness of the RDFNL league, just to name a few, wake up and smell the roses GF & RDFNL there is a strong seed of discontent growing that needs to be addressed before it too late.

But hey (insert cynical tone here) we have an annual club/league survey which is designed to ask questions as set by the GF which are used to make decisions or changes that affect us all. They then tell us ‘the majority of clubs voted’ for this or that decision and we are supposed to just accept these decisions without any transparency, this for me and many other club executives I have spoken to is where the ‘lack of any transparency’ creates discontent, cynicism and a general apathy towards both leagues and it executives who also appear to be happy to let issues confronting clubs bubble along and let the chips fall as they may. Inaction from the leagues to the very real issues affecting clubs is the problem not inaction from the clubs and their executives IMHO.

First Halffull, then AFLL and now Peter O ... this thread is truly threatening to return to being a fair dinkum, thought provoking, brainstorming avenue for local footy enthusiasts interested in sustaining something they're passionate about.

And more still, 3 neutral voices in 24 hours speaking from the heart, which is more than anyone has probably sighted from leadership roles in a week leading into what could be a pretty entertaining RDFL Finals Series.
For me this is no longer about AFL Goldfields who oversee's an entire region, but more about the roles filled at RDFL Level and those who should be championing this comp, and leading from the front in promotion, and publicly answering concerns, and offering up solutions to a pretty constant stream of similar queries.

Anyway, let's hope for all you and your club sakes that people who should be reading it .... ARE
And that all thoughts, concerns, observations are taking with merit and from the angle Pete highlights.
That being thru the eyes/ears of devoted ground level volunteers as opposed to those who I'm tipping are paid to roll out a manufactured narrative even though many of them probably agree with most of you, themselves having began their footy journeys at basic grassroots level.

And to those of you about to embark on Finals Footy, good luck, hope you all get a good, clean (injury free) run in transit thru your campaings and may the best "in form" teams run out at Romsey on Grand Final Day.

Last edited:

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree with a lot that you have written. Time poor, work/life balance of volunteers is an issue that doesn't get the attention it desperately deserves. You mentioned that a united approach has been tried in the past and has not worked. Why not? I cannot understand if all clubs believe the RDFL executive is on the wrong path, why do the clubs continue to accept that pathway. I understand to implement change you need an alternative ( not easy ) but if the clubs passionately believe in an alternative direction then it must be bought to a head. ( no confidence vote). What speaks louder action or inaction?

I agree with a lot that you have written. Time poor, work/life balance of volunteers is an issue that doesn't get the attention it desperately deserves. You mentioned that a united approach has been tried in the past and has not worked. Why not? I cannot understand if all clubs believe the RDFL executive is on the wrong path, why do the clubs continue to accept that pathway. I understand to implement change you need an alternative ( not easy ) but if the clubs passionately believe in an alternative direction then it must be bought to a head. ( no confidence vote). What speaks louder action or inaction?
Surely you RDFL chaps can muster up 43 signature's :D:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do finals start this week?

You wouldn't think so looking at the RDFNL website. The first stop for most people and it's seriously hopeless.

Will Nolan make a surprise appearance Sunday after being named in the squad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back