Banter RDT 160 - Fold the RDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

TV talk

Girlfriend bought a 65inch Samsung Frame which has been perfect so far.

Put it this way, she bought it after we had been dating for ~2.5 years and I moved in with her the next month, so TV must be really good.
We went with the same. Couldn't beat the look of the slim frame and single cable.

I've got a Hisense 58inch Series 5.

It's not bad, picture quality could be better though. The smart functions are kind of clunky too but I just use the Xbox for streaming anyway.
You've just reminded me, I need to buy a media remote for my playstation. Navigating with the controller is a PITA.

You've just reminded me, I need to buy a media remote for my playstation. Navigating with the controller is a PITA.

I got one to preserve the life of my PS5 controllers. It's totally unreliable at times - sometimes just plain won't work or just turns the PS5 on randomly. Think I would've learnt my lesson after a similar result with the PS4 remote but hoped they would've put more work into the new one.

I got one to preserve the life of my PS5 controllers. It's totally unreliable at times - sometimes just plain won't work or just turns the PS5 on randomly. Think I would've learnt my lesson after a similar result with the PS4 remote but hoped they would've put more work into the new one.
Oh. Maybe I deal with the mild annoyance of knocking R2/L2 every so often then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm trying to cut down on needless subscriptions. Would I be better off paying for Netflix or Amazon Prime long term? I split the cost of Binge & Kayo with my brother.

Netflix has more content but is 3x the price. Prime is really good value for money, with the few exclusive shows and movies it does have being very good. Have you had Netflix before?

Netflix has more content but is 3x the price. Prime is really good value for money, with the few exclusive shows and movies it does have being very good. Have you had Netflix before?
I normally reactivate it for a month in the year, watch the couple series I want to and then can it. Was going to wait until Rick and Morty S5 is finished to reactivate it.

I could probably get by with Binge tbh, I watch a lot more YT than anything else and pay for premium & YT Music. I'm just getting bored of that and wanted proper series and movies to watch.

I also have access to my parents netflix while I'm living at home again so I could in theory watch what I want on there and then pick up Prime for myself. I used the trial of that for the AFL doco but haven't heard about anything else worth watching on Prime.

Biggest plot twist of 2021

what a vile piece of shit she is. Literally coaxed the audience into laughing at him and then dropped "he got murdered". Literally basically spent the that segment mocking him.

Current couch setup has viewing position ~3m from the TV and the room is big enough that we can make it more or less than current quite easily.

Minimal glare and no direct sunlight.

Paying someone to install. Probably easier to consider options if we just say $2k budget for just the TV and can go a bit higher.

Cool. I personally find 3m pretty good for a 65inch but would want to be a bit closer if you go the 55.

With no/minimal glare you can explore OLED TVs but they'll stretch your budget unless you can find a 2020 model.

The good guys ebay store is having a 15% off sale which might snag you an OK deal but they jack the prices up before applying the discount. I usually use it as a baseline and see if I can negotiate a better deal in store.

This Samsung looks like a good deal for a higher spec TV.

The Sony is pretty solid but you should easily be able to get the discounted price in store

With installation, i'd be really careful who you use. I've heard some pretty bad stories of people getting ripped off particular when they charge you crazy prices extra for HDMI cables. I'd personally look for a sole trade who does TV/sound/cabling jobs give him (or her) a hand with the mounting of the TV and you should save a few hundred $ over something like TGG where i think their installers charge $300 + bracket + cables extra.

If there's a TV out there that copes really well with glare I would also like to know because my TV gets all the late afternoon sun and that's peak gaming time for me.

I think that Samsung I've listed above deals well with glare but it depends on your budget. Generally the higher spec Samsungs do well. You're generally looking for two things, the overall brightness of the screen (which can be seen in the specs/found in reviews) and how reflective the glass is. You'd probably want to dig around for reviews on the TVs for that. Assuming if you're gaming you'd want a decent TV anyway depending on the games.

Alternatively something like this https://www.ezyblind.com.au/ or a spray bottle and some alfoil works a treat if you're ok with the window looking like it belongs in a crackden

What the actual fu**

I checked cricinfo when we needed only 3 runs an over or something and we’re only 4 down. How was that possible
I stopped watching after the Marsh dismissal came back to twitter meltdown

With installation, i'd be really careful who you use. I've heard some pretty bad stories of people getting ripped off particular when they charge you crazy prices extra for HDMI cables. I'd personally look for a sole trade who does TV/sound/cabling jobs give him (or her) a hand with the mounting of the TV and you should save a few hundred $ over something like TGG where i think their installers charge $300 + bracket + cables extra.

Interesting that you mentioned that. We booked installation with TGG but are going to cancel after checking what's not included. We want some cables hidden and changes to antenna points and I'm certain we could get a much better deal getting a standalone installer to quote for the lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back