List Mgmt. Re-Signing Jake Lever

For the last time, do you think Jake Lever will re-sign with Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was just looking at that List and because of it, I am more relaxed if we lose Lever, so far to date, apart from Dangerfield every one of the Players we lost for what ever reason, has been comfortably replaced with arguably a better player position wise on the field.
And in some way, we have even come up trumps with Dangerfield moves. guess that a Half full or half empty discussion.
Yes these are not direct swaps but highlight the simple fact we have a nasty habit of replacing talent with talent when the need arises
We lost Bock and replaced him with Davis who we then replaced with Talia. Talia better than both of them.
We Lost Gunston replaced by Lynch, Lynch is better than Gunstan
We lost Tippett replaced by JJ, 50 plus goal kicker and relieving ruck I take JJ before Tippett. every day. and Jacob a better Ruck
We Lost Dangerfield and so far have gained more from Sloane, B Crouch, Greenwood again Half Full Half empty, I would still like a danger on the list
We lose Lever oand going on our past record would almost say there a replacement in wings waiting. Maybe it Keath could be Doedee if he gains an extra 3-4cm (already gain 2cm from rumours I have heard.)
We Lose CC and Gallucci slips in with ease, fast can tackle hard and can kick goals.

So when I look at that if we lose Lever and CC I am more concerned with what we get for them. Also, Predicting McGovern staying and CC is going
So, in summary, the Crows may lose players but they are very good at finding replacements that turn out better rather quickly.
We haven't done anything. We haven't been a good club for a long time. We have either missed finals altogether or been a September laughing stock. These player losses have absolutely gutted us.

Yes we've done lots of other things right and here we are this season.

I'm not saying its unlucky but can you say the club hasn't made the right call on most of those?

If Lever does indeed leave for $800k then so long I say. I have no doubt we will be offering around that $600k mark. Which is I think is fair enough. Probably overs, but a premium in there to keep him.

What do you propose we do?

And don't just use a blanket statement like 'pay them more'.

If we pay the Lever's of the world more than someone else misses out, which means we risk losing them. There are more contributors to a premiership side than just half a dozen big name players.
This is especially relevant when you consider that the clubs rumoured to be offering him big cash are Collingwood and Melbourne. If they had players of the quality of Sloane, Walker, Jacobs, Betts, Jenkins, Lynch, Talia, Smith, Laird in their side do you think they could afford to throw as much money at Lever? Add to that the Crows have to factor in the likes of the Crouch brothers, Cameron, Greenwood, Kelly, possibly Gallucci, Hampton, Milera will be asking significantly more the next time they're out of contract and you realise that the Crows simply can't just "pay him more".

Why? Other clubs keep their good players.

Lions, GC, Swans, GWS are leaking players.

Only clubs that arent really are Freo and West Coast. WC of course lost Judd. Freo haven't had the quality really. Fyfe is from WA.

Vic clubs don't lose players because a.) most of the talent pool is made up of Victorians b.) Melbourne is a more attractive place to live for a young man than most places. Again it was rated no. 1 place to live only today. It's also filled with more opportunity for life after football given how big the city is business wise.

I can't believe this hasn't happened yet. The AFLPA is getting away with murder with the current FA system. Clubs are essentially unable to create a bidding war for leaving players and can't get a return on their investment. I have no issues with trading someone to their home state for sympathetic reasons but they should not be allowed to nominate a destination club unless they are qualified free agents. Why shouldn't Adelaide be able to shop around Lever to the highest bidder?

It hasn't happened because the AFL has and rightly so, set up the trade and draft process to look after the players. What has happened since is FA and clubs are now giving players away for mediocre compensation which, under the rules the AFL should really be vetoing but they keep letting them through. Clubs are now at a loss. I agree though to a point that clubs need to work on their cultural set up with a goal to retain players and perhaps the AFL thinks that clubs will abuse this. I think it should be brought in but I think some rules have to be in place to avoid 100 odd players trading clubs every year.

Why? Other clubs keep their good players.
Notable players who moved clubs last year alone:
McCarthy, Hill, Tom Mitchell, Hanley, Hamling, Hibberd, Prestia, Hoskin-Elliot, Deledio, O'Meara, Wells
2015:
Suckling, Selwood, Henderson, Bennell, Jetta, Smith, Howe, Dixon, Carlisle, Treloar, Aish, Yarran

We have lost our fair share of players, but we're clearly not alone, it's just the current climate makes moving clubs easy.

Paying some players more the solution, not all, that's the point.

So if somehow we could pay Lever more, he wouldn't stay?
I think the reports of lowballing players is rumours put out there by managers. The arguement that "we should have signed the player earlier" doesn't really wash because we can't force people to sign earlier than required. Some players hold out hoping their stocks rise. Sometimes it works and sometimes it backfires on the players.

I'm pretty comfortable that we are not paying unders. If other clubs want to pay way more than a player is worth that's up to them. Remember when we signed Betts, many thought we were paying overs. The AFC said they already offered $950 to Tippett and weren't going any higher (before the shit hit the fan). I think our track record is pretty good. Except, perhaps Mackay's 400k, although he seems to be pulling his weight this year......

We can't do much to compete in the case were teams have a higher cap.... Gold Coast, GWS and Sydney via Cola.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the reports of lowballing players is rumours put out there by managers. The arguement that "we should have signed the player earlier" doesn't really wash because we can't force people to sign earlier than required. Some players hold out hoping their stocks rise. Sometimes it works and sometimes it backfires on the players.

I'm pretty comfortable that we are not paying unders. If other clubs want to pay way more than a player is worth that's up to them. Remember when we signed Betts, many thought we were paying overs. The AFC said they already offered $950 to Tippett and weren't going any higher (before the shit hit the fan). I think our track record is pretty good. Except, perhaps Mackay's 400k, although he seems to be pulling his weight this year......

We can't do much to compete in the case were teams have a higher cap.... Gold Coast, GWS and Sydney via Cola.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app
You know Bicks said it? He's the one who would know.

I'm not saying its unlucky but can you say the club hasn't made the right call on most of those?

If Lever does indeed leave for $800k then so long I say. I have no doubt we will be offering around that $600k mark. Which is I think is fair enough. Probably overs, but a premium in there to keep him.

What do you propose we do?

And don't just use a blanket statement like 'pay them more'.

If we pay the Lever's of the world more than someone else misses out, which means we risk losing them. There are more contributors to a premiership side than just half a dozen big name players.
I would keep a Lever and lose a Douglas, Mackay or Hartigan for example. We have depth and also frees up a spot for draftees instead of spending 2 years in the SANFL.

We haven't done anything. We haven't been a good club for a long time. We have either missed finals altogether or been a September laughing stock. These player losses have absolutely gutted us.

Yes we've done lots of other things right and here we are this season.

The Club was not gutted by losing players the supporter base was, but the Club did not falter and improve the list every time
As mentioned we always seem to find a replacement player that arguably better than the Player we lose that is not an accident because it happening too often.
Yes we stuff up the Tippett and Trigg issues, and lost 2 years of 1st and 2nd draft picks, yet we manage to work thru that and arguable come out a better run and better-organised club. Losing the Picks still hurt.
But we also forget
We Lost Two coaches to sad circumstances. which did affect the Club, yet the Club again work thru the issue and came out a better club.
As a Club we don't pay overs, we support the coaching departments better than most clubs, our training venue is one of the best. Recruitment is one of the best, And for all the Bull I read about disgruntled Players the Players actually like the Club

So no I simply cannot accept that we have done nothing you don't win 16 games and follow up by potentially being the top team by Doing Nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pay him more and we will be having the same discussion regarding Sloane, M Crouch etc next year
Yeah probably one of the main sticking points and why the club would want to maintain the salary structure. Start deviating and the list could unravel.

I would keep a Lever and lose a Douglas, Mackay or Hartigan for example. We have depth and also frees up a spot for draftees instead of spending 2 years in the SANFL.

You just named 3 first 22 players right there. They are in the 22 for a reason. We have depth? I would question that. Our injury list the last 2 years has been very kind to us. We are in a flag window now. We can't be playing too many inexperienced players at once. How many rookies/1-2 year players did Hawks/Swans/Cats play during their reigns?

You start paying the Levers of the world too much you end up with a list like Ports. Top heavy but then it falls away quickly. They have a full list to chose from and were still playing people like Johnson & Howard on the weekend. This is a team contending for a top 4 spot.

Plus you then have to replace these players regardless. We need a min 38 players on the senior list. Hartigan would be on stuff all.

AFC Pyke said ideally the Crows would re-sign Lever and McGovern before the start of the finals to avoid any distractions from achieving the ultimate goal of breaking the Club's 19-year premiership drought.
Interesting. He either think we are a good chance to sign them before the finals or he is putting the pressure on.

Who's out of contract at the end of next season? Can't wait to do this all again next year
Key ones:

Brodie Smith
Charlie Cameron
David Mackay
Matt Crouch
Richard Douglas
Rory Atkins
Rory Laird
Rory Sloane
Tom Lynch

Draftees/Edge players:

Harry Dear
Jordan Gallucci
Myles Poholke
Elliot Himmelberg
Matthew Signorello
Ben Davis

You would think that they would all hang around, except for maybe Charlie with all these Brisbane rumors.

Last edited:
You just named 3 first 22 players right there. They are in the 22 for a reason. We have depth? I would question that. Our injury list the last 2 years has been very kind to us. We are in a flag window now. We can't be playing too many inexperienced players at once. How many rookies/1-2 year players did Hawks/Swans/Cats play during their reigns?

You start paying the Levers of the world too much you end up with a list like Ports. Top heavy but then it falls away quickly. They have a full list to chose from and were still playing people like Johnson & Howard on the weekend. This is a team contending for a top 4 spot.
They are starting 22 because we pick them.

Keath on minimal money has just filled in for Hartigan adequately.

Mackay goes, can be replaced by Seedsman or Milera easily.

Douglas, given his current form would be harder but guys like Galluci or Pohokle will have to start getting games otherwise we aren't developing our list and we will end up with another Wigg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back