Really, really old retro forgotten games

Remove this Banner Ad

220px-Desert_strike_gameplay.png

30ish years old could be considered as old and retro :p. The Strike series (Desert, Jungle, Urban etc). My first experience with them (Desert Strike) was on the Amiga, but followed it up by playing the first two sequels on the Mega Drive. Game play was fun and storyline wise I always got a kick out of the villain 2IC in one game, would be the big bad villain in the sequel. Lost track of the series (but think it had an entry or 2 on the first playstation).

Probably not forgotten by those of us who played them back in the day, but EA don't want to touch the franchise :(
If you held a gun to my head and said I had to name my top 10 of all time then Desert Strike would be there. One of my favourite series and I wish it would make a comeback (only in the original style). I even had Soviet and Nuclear Strike on PS1.
This guy is brining it back.

I was super lucky being gable to play those (and other) games on the Amiga 500.... the graphics and audio was far better. As I discovered later in life (late 90s) playing the pc versions with the EGA graphics and beeps for audio.

Funniest one was a Wheel of Fortune game, the C64 and Amiga 500 versions had better colour than the DOS release (yellow, red and green palette).
CGA graphics. The Jeopardy game we had was the same. My sister and I used to play it a lot and were weirdly good at it being young kids. Though often we'd play with a fake third character so that the AI wouldn't nab all the answers.

I remember though that obviously it was made for newer computers because the 7 second answer timer took about 30 seconds to run out. When I first ran it on Dosbox years later at its correct speed it was like it was on meth.

screenshot_fa8-jeopardy-new-second-edition-get-ready-to-play-jeopardy.png

screenshot_a84-jeopardy-new-second-edition-enter-a-wager.png

That's reminded me of another few old ones from this era. We also had Skyrunner which was pretty cool at the time. Had no idea what to do other than fly around and shoot stuff, not sure if there was any more to it.

There was also this golf game that was my white whale for years. Took me years to find it again because I couldn't remember anything about the game or developer other than it was golf. Did a few posts on various sites asking if anyone could remember it but all suggestions were wrong. Finally found it a couple years ago. It was called Pro Golf. Top down, CGA style graphics, no animations, just "Select club", select direction, select power, then watch where the game puts your ball and continue. Terrible game all things considered, and considering what else was probably available at the time. But when it's all you've got you still play the heck out of it.

pcprogolf.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Really, really old retro forgotten games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back