Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

The FREEEEEOOOOOOOO chant resounding around the G and in your lounge rooms!

If the cats make it, I would love to beat a vic team for our maiden premiership. Beating Sydney after their season would be ridiculous.

The decade of dominance has begun!

I'd like to beat Carlton 2nd v 3rd then beat them again on.gf day.

Would be delicious

I'd like to beat Carlton 2nd v 3rd then beat them again on.gf day.

Would be delicious
Beating a side twice in the finals series is very hard to do.

Not sure what the strike rate is but i reckon the results generally get reversed on GF day after the QF result.

Hawthorn in 2015
Sydney & West Coast - 2005 & 2006 - Winner of the Flag lost Week 1.

West Coast in 2018 i think are the only side to do it from memory but yeah i sort of would get worried trying to beat the same team twice in the finals. You want to beat them once and not see them again.

I'm loving where we are at presently - healthy list, fit players, competition for spots, ladder position etc..

But parts of the public and media are getting way ahead of themselves talking about us playing prelims/GF's this year.

We are over-achieving with our under-23 players, I hope they keep up the momentum but we have nothing locked in yet and a few slip-ups will see us back out of the 8.

The players literally said they let the Demons win in Alice Springs get to their head and they subsequently shat their dacks against the Bulldogs. We can't let that happen against any team we are starting favourites against.

I'm loving where we are at presently - healthy list, fit players, competition for spots, ladder position etc..

But parts of the public and media are getting way ahead of themselves talking about us playing prelims/GF's this year.

We are over-achieving with our under-23 players, I hope they keep up the momentum but we have nothing locked in yet and a few slip-ups will see us back out of the 8.

The players literally said they let the Demons win in Alice Springs get to their head and they subsequently shat their dacks against the Bulldogs. We can't let that happen against any team we are starting favourites against.
Nah - all the data suggests we're legit. You just don't want to get your hopes up shall they be crushed again.

Every data-driven analysis tool has us somewhere between third and fifth strongest team currently, but also steadily improving.

We've gone from strong defense plus weak attack, to strong attack plus weakened defense (somewhat personnel related), now the next step is to bring it all together and be strong in both defense and attack.

The most amazing thing about this year is this team has learned how to score. We're not sitting through games where we score just 65 points anymore, we've been up over 80 points for 5 straight games now, which has been un-Fremantle like in recent years.

The data is also showing that guys are lifting - Brayshaw's last three weeks have been his best for the year, Young is playing like a top 10 player, Treacy is getting better every week, Amiss and Sturt finding form, Switta has been in top form.

Another indicator that we're doing well is teams are sending extra numbers to stoppages to try to quell our stoppage dominance. We're giving the opposition massive headache's and they're changing their gameplan to stop us. That means we're in front before the ball is even bounced as the opposition is not going with their Plan A. JL keeps backing in our system, which means our Plan A is the real deal.

It's ok to be cautiously optimistic that it's real.

Last edited:

I agree with this to an extent. I also think that no one is winning out from here. The swans maybe if they come out fired up after losing two on the trot.

We want a win this week and Geelong to take care of Collingwood Friday... it is an exciting time to be a freo fan!

Nah - all the data suggests we're legit. You just don't want to get your hopes up shall they be crushed again.

Every data-driven analysis tool has us somewhere between third and fifth strongest team currently, but also steadily improving.

We've gone from strong defense plus weak attack, to strong attack plus weakened defense (somewhat personnel related), now the next step is to bring it all together and be strong in both defense and attack.

The most amazing thing about this year is this team has learned how to score. We're not sitting through games where we score just 65 points anymore, we've been up over 80 points for 5 straight games now, which has been un-Fremantle like in recent years.

The data is also showing that guys are lifting - Brayshaw's last three weeks have been his best for the year, Treacy is getting better every week, Amiss and Sturt finding form, Switta has been in top form.

Another indicator that we're doing well is teams are sending extra numbers to stoppages to try to quell our stoppage dominance. We're giving the opposition massive headache's and they're changing their gameplan to stop us. That means we're in front before the ball is even bounced as the opposition is not going with their Plan A. JL keeps backing in our system, which means our Plan A is the real deal.

Agreed, we are a different team than we were.

There is improvement in us on every line and as you mention we are causing headaches as it is. Young playing the mid/hff mix has been a revelation. His marks 50-60m out from goal mean the next pass is almost impossible to defend. Treacy and Amiss just licking their lips!

Cox getting a run of games with Pearce in the team will mean the back half looks completely different again. We haven't been full strength down back since round one. It is a bit overlooked.

The data is also showing that guys are lifting - Brayshaw's last three weeks have been his best for the year, Young is playing like a top 10 player, Treacy is getting better every week, Amiss and Sturt finding form, Switta has been in top form.

Great overview. I'll also add about Young, I was shocked to find he's kicked 10 goals already.....I mean, of all the guys taking the next step, he's positively firing out the cannon....going ballistic! His step up in the midfield is a big reason why we're more dangerous and now he's adding goals. Others like Serong and Andy feel like they're just 'quietly' chipping away here too. If we add Warner to that mix next year or the year after.....jaybus!

But already in 2024 we're showing strong signs we can compete for this year's Golden Voyage of Sinbad's flag!! Time to set sail, some rough waters ahead but we've got the fleet to flourish

The data is also showing that guys are lifting - Brayshaw's last three weeks have been his best for the year, Young is playing like a top 10 player,
I think this is owed to a change in mid structure (i.e. planning and coaching), rather than players lifting. Never understood why Brayshaw was being pushed to half-forward to accommodate Young (or rather Fyfe, but to then keep in Young). Blunted Brayshaw's strengths while failing to capitalise on Yong's.

I'm not so sure... for instance, here are a couple of tools that are still casting a fair bit of doubt.

View attachment 2045116
View attachment 2045118
King has resorted to hardly talking about us now, when Montagana told Robbo twice last night the stats said we could win it Kingy had nothing to say.

Then as far as his SEN mate in the picture he said only two can win it as they are good offensively and defensively, then there are another 6-8 like us who are only good at one. With us he said we were good offensively but not defensively, we are the second best defense in the comp!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Champion data like us except for one thing, which is defensive 1 on 1 contests. But that has a big asterix next to it, which is the absence of key defenders.
Yeah you'd think (knock on wood) that's about to become a major strength for us

King has resorted to hardly talking about us now, when Montagana told Robbo twice last night the stats said we could win it Kingy had nothing to say.

King has been a sad watch re; us. There was always a new issue with us win or lose, and when we had wins, he'd always focus on some other winner in the same boat or worse than us and completely felate them.

I realised in one of those SEN videos that I don't think he really watched us play properly. I started noticing a pattern in his dribbling.

One week I think he analyzed both us and some other team, might have been Essendon or Bulldogs. In our analysis, he spoke about structure, game-plan and system - meanwhile right after, those other teams he was able to talk about individuals and their roles specifically on top of the team stuff. There was a clear discrepancy in his understanding of the lists.

Then I went back and noticed that has always been his analysis of us more often than not. He can't really name our players and what they do, or credit them outside of the generic "Wow Darcy Brayshaw Serong!" outsider view. He's always talked about random nuances in just our game-plan or over-analyzed cherry-picked passages of play when its his turn to dig the heels in.

He's going to have some serious emotional damage if we find some success soon.

There's only so much mental gymnastics you can do.

King has been a sad watch re; us. There was always a new issue with us win or lose, and when we had wins, he'd always focus on some other winner in the same boat or worse than us and completely felate them.

I realised in one of those SEN videos that I don't think he really watched us play properly. I started noticing a pattern in his dribbling.

One week I think he analyzed both us and some other team, might have been Essendon or Bulldogs. In our analysis, he spoke about structure, game-plan and system - meanwhile right after, those other teams he was able to talk about individuals and their roles specifically on top of the team stuff. There was a clear discrepancy in his understanding of the lists.

Then I went back and noticed that has always been his analysis of us more often than not. He can't really name our players and what they do, or credit them outside of the generic "Wow Darcy Brayshaw Serong!" outsider view. He's always talked about random nuances in just our game-plan or over-analyzed cherry-picked passages of play when its his turn to dig the heels in.

He's going to have some serious emotional damage if we find some success soon.

There's only so much mental gymnastics you can do.
I loved the way Montagna dissed Carlton the other night (about their chances) and King just looked mortified

Andrew Brayshaw will play his 150th game for Fremantle on grand final day.

Pretty much.

Feels like we’re getting close-ish though.

I still think we’re a year or two early, but we have the right stuff about us now and yiu just never know….

Pretty much.

Feels like we’re getting close-ish though.

I still think we’re a year or two early, but we have the right stuff about us now and yiu just never know….

Sydney win was incredible, and to a lesser extent the Demons. Gold Coast and Richmond were competent but lacking. Dogs was an unmitigated disaster.

So many of these last 7 games are winnable and so many of them are possible, we clearly have a good system it's just too early to call it when we've literally won the past 3 in a row - we haven't had any sustained winning streak just yet.

Sydney win was incredible, and to a lesser extent the Demons. Gold Coast and Richmond were competent but lacking. Dogs was an unmitigated disaster.

So many of these last 7 games are winnable and so many of them are possible, we clearly have a good system it's just too early to call it when we've literally won the past 3 in a row - we haven't had any sustained winning streak just yet.
Huge game this weekend. Just got to find a way to win. The good teams of recent years - Brisbane and Geelong and the likes, they just get the W in game like this. In and out, no fuss

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

Back