Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo just look like happy campers.
Young men who are really happy with their mates, the club and what is being layed out for them.
I'm not even sad that Hogan is leading the goal kicking and Neale might win another Brownlow.
The list is well balanced and chockers full good characters.
Son Son nailed it in the post game interview when he talked about how Freo were playing for each other, trusted each other, all had their roles and they ignored the stats.

The 33-year-old was unwilling to take credit for his individual performance, rather crediting the team and roles the playing group focuses on as the reason for his success.

“We’re here to play our role and to stick to it and it’s showing," Walters said.

“Look at our win-loss record, look at the way we are playing, it’s not all about touches, it’s not all about goals, it’s about getting the win and all of us playing together as a unit.

“I’m just here to play footy and here to enjoy it.

I'm interested.
If they have an extra four behind the ball, aren't they four short in front of the ball? My maths isn't what it once was but isn't that a zero sum game? Where does the advantage lie?
Cheers.
I think it's a reference to the 4 in yellow

I think we have the most balanced young list. One small forward (maybe a winger pending NoD) short of having a quality player in every position.

All the other lists have holes, and most have some big ones.

Exactly - we are getting to the place where we will have too much for other teams. More class and A graders. Add to that we have genuine express pace across the ground complemented by ball winners.

The holes we have I am confident we can address.. a huge statement, yet that is where we are.

Exactly - we are getting to the place where we will have too much for other teams. More class and A graders. Add to that we have genuine express pace across the ground complemented by ball winners.

The holes we have I am confident we can address.. a huge statement, yet that is where we are.
There’s only one real hole and that’s small forward. JOM on the wing is makeshift but he’s playing the role, we have Banners, Johnson (not his preferred role) NOD and Stanley all able to play that role if required. The rest is succession planning.
Pearce / Murphy
Ryan / Draper
Cox / Davies
Fyfe / Johnson, Ras, Brodie
Aish / Worner
Switta/ Simpson
Darcy / Knobel
Walters / Delean is the only one that looks iffy at the moment.

I just re-watched the game, it's hard not to start to believe. I know Melbourne were off, or certainly not a strong opposition on their day - missing Gawn and Petracca....whatever. But we genuinely bossed them from start to finish. The confidence in our game and what we wanted to execute and do was first class. Even Nathan Jones was full of high praise for us and stated he thought we were capable of winning the comp. I really like him as a commentator and wish he was doing more of our plays. No waffle, but some interesting, salient points.

A few moments of costly turnover and Pearce's sad injury aside (which I think lead to a few junk time-style goals for the Dees..) we were utterly ruthless and clinical all game. The positioning; spread, speed; pressure and defensive compactness was outstanding and their ability to block the exit, prevent Dees from switching out of defense and forcing them to go long down the line where we could affect a contest was sublime. The Dockers have multiple avenues to goal now, Treacy is alarmingly good for the opposition defense to handle alone, but Amiss is starting to look dangerous again; Jackson is always a threat (just wish he'd take a few more clunks..), Freddy's speed was deadly all game, he just let himself down with poor finishing and goal-kicking in the end. Sturt, Walters and Banfield/Switta are adding neat cameos of goals or pressure or 1%ers to really evolve that mix in the forward half now. Hate to say it, as not a fan of criticising players or not wanting them to succeed, but we look a much better mix without Emmett in there. Sad, but true.

In the midfield, Fyfe used smart handballs to unlock space and create effective chains that hurt the Dees on rebound.....Brayshaw and Serong just controlled the midfield, 2 way running of support for the backs was outstanding....Clark, Wagner, Walker, Chappy; Ryan and co pushed up and forced the Dees into more contests and then just slingshot the footy out, we are a decent counter-attacking unit now.

Look, I could go on. Obviously a home game, and a team primed to push for a top 4 finish, and you expect a good performance if the guys put in the effort. Well, they certainly did but it was that clinical precision mentioned earlier, they just took better chances and marks inside forward 50. Darcy makes a huge difference in the clearance/stoppage set ups and we were so dominant, obviously it helped that Gawn wasn't there. But it was what we did from those clearances and stoppages that caused Melbourne so much trouble...we were pushing the ball forward and with speed and precision for so often of the match. Lots more lowering the eyes of late and Young is such a left-foot weapon in trying to deliver it inside 50 or get the ball moving. Some of Serong's kicks to open up play were immense! That kick inside 50 to Amiss I think it was in the first quarter was pant-wettingly good!

I thought Walker was a bit error-prone at times, but both he and Wagner pushing off half-back with speed and movement and flicking the ball around was as exciting now as it's going to be in the future when the guys have even more playing time together under their belt. Really dangerous looking!!

It's always hard to keep a lid on when you're excited by what you see, and of course we've been in these shoes before. But there is definitely a feeling, an atmosphere to the way this team is playing right now and that's important also as finals bears down upon us. It's also starting to show what the comp has in store for it in the next 3-4 years+, or as poshy says, the "decade of dominance". Alpha male roar!!! Rrrrrrrrrrr!!!

These next 5 rounds are quite massive now, as we want to win all of them if possible, maintaining this style and intent, if we can find that consistency....I believe we have every chance and I'm not saying that just because I want to believe it!! It's starting to become very apparent that we are capable of winning the 2024 Premiership. Gwarn son!!!!

Yet, we are still the underdogs and flying under the radar a bit. Let us see.......

I just re-watched the game, it's hard not to start to believe. I know Melbourne were off, or certainly not a strong opposition on their day - missing Gawn and Petracca....whatever. But we genuinely bossed them from start to finish. The confidence in our game and what we wanted to execute and do was first class. Even Nathan Jones was full of high praise for us and stated he thought we were capable of winning the comp. I really like him as a commentator and wish he was doing more of our plays. No waffle, but some interesting, salient points.

A few moments of costly turnover and Pearce's sad injury aside (which I think lead to a few junk time-style goals for the Dees..) we were utterly ruthless and clinical all game. The positioning; spread, speed; pressure and defensive compactness was outstanding and their ability to block the exit, prevent Dees from switching out of defense and forcing them to go long down the line where we could affect a contest was sublime. The Dockers have multiple avenues to goal now, Treacy is alarmingly good for the opposition defense to handle alone, but Amiss is starting to look dangerous again; Jackson is always a threat (just wish he'd take a few more clunks..), Freddy's speed was deadly all game, he just let himself down with poor finishing and goal-kicking in the end. Sturt, Walters and Banfield/Switta are adding neat cameos of goals or pressure or 1%ers to really evolve that mix in the forward half now. Hate to say it, as not a fan of criticising players or not wanting them to succeed, but we look a much better mix without Emmett in there. Sad, but true.

In the midfield, Fyfe used smart handballs to unlock space and create effective chains that hurt the Dees on rebound.....Brayshaw and Serong just controlled the midfield, 2 way running of support for the backs was outstanding....Clark, Wagner, Walker, Chappy; Ryan and co pushed up and forced the Dees into more contests and then just slingshot the footy out, we are a decent counter-attacking unit now.

Look, I could go on. Obviously a home game, and a team primed to push for a top 4 finish, and you expect a good performance if the guys put in the effort. Well, they certainly did but it was that clinical precision mentioned earlier, they just took better chances and marks inside forward 50. Darcy makes a huge difference in the clearance/stoppage set ups and we were so dominant, obviously it helped that Gawn wasn't there. But it was what we did from those clearances and stoppages that caused Melbourne so much trouble...we were pushing the ball forward and with speed and precision for so often of the match. Lots more lowering the eyes of late and Young is such a left-foot weapon in trying to deliver it inside 50 or get the ball moving. Some of Serong's kicks to open up play were immense! That kick inside 50 to Amiss I think it was in the first quarter was pant-wettingly good!

I thought Walker was a bit error-prone at times, but both he and Wagner pushing off half-back with speed and movement and flicking the ball around was as exciting now as it's going to be in the future when the guys have even more playing time together under their belt. Really dangerous looking!!

It's always hard to keep a lid on when you're excited by what you see, and of course we've been in these shoes before. But there is definitely a feeling, an atmosphere to the way this team is playing right now and that's important also as finals bears down upon us. It's also starting to show what the comp has in store for it in the next 3-4 years+, or as poshy says, the "decade of dominance". Alpha male roar!!! Rrrrrrrrrrr!!!

These next 5 rounds are quite massive now, as we want to win all of them if possible, maintaining this style and intent, if we can find that consistency....I believe we have every chance and I'm not saying that just because I want to believe it!! It's starting to become very apparent that we are capable of winning the 2024 Premiership. Gwarn son!!!!

Yet, we are still the underdogs and flying under the radar a bit. Let us see.......
I love watching their confidence, their support for each other, and their belief

Hook it into my veins!! It has begun! 2024 will be looked back on as the early days of the freo immortals. You will tell your kids and grandkids about this team.

LFG!!

Just gonna leave this here for the time being

View attachment 2057063
Nah - what is the point of the suffering if not to revel in the good times!

We have never been in this position as a club. 2013 we were at the end of our champions prime. 2024 we have emerging champions at the beginning of their prime. And a club that is well run to back them.

The lid is off!!

Demi Lovato Mind Blown GIF by The Roku Channel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah - what is the point of the suffering if not to revel in the good times!

We have never been in this position as a club. 2013 we were at the end of our champions prime. 2024 we have emerging champions at the beginning of their prime. And a club that is well run to back them.

The lid is off!!

Demi Lovato Mind Blown GIF by The Roku Channel
Believe me when it comes time my lid will go to the moon

I had a dream the other night , humour me 😁
It was me with Caleb Serong , Dogga , Luke Ryan , wee hours of the morning. arms around each other , drunk as skunks belting out the Cruel Seas “ Honeymoon is Over Baby “ in some bar in Melbourne following our first GF win .
Singing along in the background were all you people and all the Freo faithful

Lovely Dream 🤞

Believe me when it comes time my lid will go to the moon

I had a dream the other night , humour me 😁
It was me with Caleb Serong , Dogga , Luke Ryan , wee hours of the morning. arms around each other , drunk as skunks belting out the Cruel Seas “ Honeymoon is Over Baby “ in some bar in Melbourne following our first GF win .
Singing along in the background were all you people and all the Freo faithful

Lovely Dream 🤞
getting excited about your MCG trip? :)

Lids are for tupperware parties and bottom 4 teams. I threw all mine away months ago.
You watch.
You’ll find the containers now.

I will ensure I am in Thailand during grand final week which will make it easy to fly Bangkok-Melbourne and probably at half the price.
we get home on the Sunday before (from Iceland) and then have a booking to Melbourne for the Thursday. We thought about changing our flights, but will be dying to see my dogs by then!

we get home on the Sunday before (from Iceland) and then have a booking to Melbourne for the Thursday. We thought about changing our flights, but will be dying to see my dogs by then!
I divide my time between here and Thailand nowadays and oddly enough it will be easier to get to Melbourne in grand final week than from Perth.

Last edited:

I went and rechecked the stats this morning because I though Sturty had had a pretty quiet day out, I'd completely forgotten he'd kicked 3 goals. With 11 disposals to go with it, not bad for a quiet day out eh?

I might be the odd one out, but I'll never go to a Grand Final.

Not the biggest fan of Melbourne at the best of times, and I definitely wouldn't want to be there if (IF) we lose.

But mostly, especially for our first one, I wanna be IN Freo painting the streets purple. I wanna be at the Sail and Anchor, absolutely toasted and loving it, surrounded by other toasted and long suffering supporters belting out Purple Rain so loud they hear us in Two Rocks.

Then we can all head back to my place and watch the replay on continuous loop and clean out my liquor cabinet, I'm sure the missus and kid won't mind. ;) It is Saturday after all.

That's my GF dream anyway, had it for a few years now.

I might be the odd one out, but I'll never go to a Grand Final.

Not the biggest fan of Melbourne at the best of times, and I definitely wouldn't want to be there if (IF) we lose.

But mostly, especially for our first one, I wanna be IN Freo painting the streets purple. I wanna be at the Sail and Anchor, absolutely toasted and loving it, surrounded by other toasted and long suffering supporters belting out Purple Rain so loud they hear us in Two Rocks.

Then we can all head back to my place and watch the replay on continuous loop and clean out my liquor cabinet, I'm sure the missus and kid won't mind. ;) It is Saturday after all.

That's my GF dream anyway, had it for a few years now.
THere's a romance about both tbh. I definitely know a few diehards across a bunch of football codes who prefer the loungeroom experience over being at the match in general.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

Back