List Mgmt. Rebuild or refresh?

Rebuild or refresh?

• Rebuild

Votes: 71 35.1%
  • Refresh

Votes: 131 64.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

For a rebuild, my preference would be for the club & dimma to agree that it’s time for a new direction & part ways

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Lol , so PA swans cats extend long serving coaches with another term , dimma the most successful coach in the league 18mths from winning his 3rd flag and you reckon get rid of him,,,,,pure genius 😆😅🤪. You can’t make this stuff up

Lol , so PA swans cats extend long serving coaches with another term , dimma the most successful coach in the league 18mths from winning his 3rd flag and you reckon get rid of him,,,,,pure genius 😆😅🤪. You can’t make this stuff up
Reckon the club would be asking Dimma if he is interested in going through a rebuild once they realise that it's required

Reckon the club would be asking Dimma if he is interested in going through a rebuild once they realise that it's required
Why wouldn't he be interested? What else has he got to do? Dimma's a student of the game - surely this is just the challenge he'd revel in, given his amazing track record for bringing the club out of the absolute doldrums to golden generation once already.

If nothing else, he's on really decent coin at Tigerland too, reportedly the highest senior coach pay cheque in the league. It's not like any other club can significantly outbid us either, given the restrictive soft cap.

We moved Tom Hafey on in 1977 under very similar circumstances, and he went on to coach very successfully elsewhere for another decade. Hopefully the temptation is not there to repeat that shocking error in the club's history.

Why wouldn't he be interested? What else has he got to do? Dimma's a student of the game - surely this is just the challenge he'd revel in, given his amazing track record for bringing the club out of the absolute doldrums to golden generation once already.

If nothing else, he's on really decent coin at Tigerland too, reportedly the highest senior coach pay cheque in the league. It's not like any other can significantly outbid us either, given the restrictive soft cap.

We moved Tom Hafey on in 1977 under very similar circumstances, and he went on to coach very successfully elsewhere for another decade. Hopefully the temptation is not there to repeat that shocking error in the club's history.
I expect that he would be interested, no question

If nothing else, he's on really decent coin at Tigerland too, reportedly the highest senior coach pay cheque in the league. It's not like any other club can significantly outbid us either, given the restrictive soft cap.

Who knows, but the club would be negligent not to at the very least have the discussion with him. If given the chance to sit down and think about whether he wants to go through a few years down the bottom building a list up again to reach the kind of heights we reached in the previous 5 seasons may not be that tempting to him, especially when you think that it took us 8 seasons to become a premiership winner the first time around. That would mean Hardwick would have been coaching for near on 20 years and if we do achieve a second era of success, then you're probably going to see that era to the end which means he probably spend 25 years in total as our coach.

I agree the best approach if for t he club to sit down with Dimma and ask him if he has the appetite to start another rebuild of the list. If the answer is yes then I'd say he has earnt the right to.

One thing the club should not be doing is going down the Hawthorn road where they just couldn't swallow the fact they needed to rebuild after their successful era. Also with Tassie likely entering the competition sometime in the near future, you don't want to have a rubbish list just as they are entering.

I know we're were a poor side when GC and GWS entered, but by that time we had our core group that lead to our successful 2017~2020 Dynasty on the list (Reiwoldt, Cotchin, Martin, Rance, Grimes, Shane Edwards).

Last edited:
If it’s a rebuild we need to let dimma go aswel. He’s been great but you can’t rebuild with the same coach. 12 odd years is a good run for any coach.
The haters will come for me but that’s my opinion.
Sheedy did it three or four times at Essendon. You're looking at it from the wrong way around. Dimma's the man for the job - I reckon he'd be licking his lips at the opportunity. He'll be travelling through the major US sporting franchises in our off-season gathering intelligence and best practice strategies to rebuild a flagging empire, just for a start. I would also not be surprised if he'd like to do what Clarko couldn't do - rebuild a second generation of premiership stars.

In Dimma we trust.

If it’s a rebuild we need to let dimma go aswel. He’s been great but you can’t rebuild with the same coach. 12 odd years is a good run for any coach.
The haters will come for me but that’s my opinion.
I disagree that you can't rebuild with the same coach. It really depends on the coach. If there is one trait that Dimma has shown over the years it is that he can change and adapt.

I think that is an important trait to have in order to have another rebuild. It displays that as the game changes the coach can change with it.

I disagree that you can't rebuild with the same coach. It really depends on the coach. If there is one trait that Dimma has shown over the years it is that he can change and adapt.

I think that is an important trait to have in order to have another rebuild. It displays that as the game changes the coach can change with it.
I’m not so sure. As Jack let out of the bag early days he tried to make us play like the hawks when we couldn’t and we won the 3 flags with a manic pressure game style. Mind you our team was full of stars in the absolute prime.
Personally I think a fresh face would be the way to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A rebuild doesn't have to take years. Nor does it mean throwing out all your champion players who are aged over 28. Sydney is a very good example - rebuilding beautifully even as Buddy continues to play (and play well).

It does mean playing a few more first and second year players than we currently are, even if it means potentially finishing lower on the ladder than some of the pre-season expectations.

A rebuild doesn't have to take years. Nor does it mean throwing out all your champion players who are aged over 28. Sydney is a very good example - rebuilding beautifully even as Buddy continues to play (and play well).

It does mean playing a few more first and second year players than we currently are, even if it means potentially finishing lower on the ladder than some of the pre-season expectations.
Yeah exactly. A successful rebuild doesn’t really take 10 years. A team that takes 10 years has probably failed to rebuild properly a couple of times like Carlton, Gold Coast and Melbourne in the last decade.

Sydney’s an example of a successful and quick rebuild. If Hawthorn and Collingwood keep this up, then they will also be examples of quick and successful rebuilds (although Collingwood’s one was assisted by father-son picks).

Our rebuild doesn’t have to be painful, but it’s probably the only option we have left now. I think it’s too late to refresh. Trying to refresh now will probably leave us in a position that Hawthorn were at the beginning of 2019.

Yeah exactly. A successful rebuild doesn’t really take 10 years. A team that takes 10 years has probably failed to rebuild properly a couple of times like Carlton, Gold Coast and Melbourne in the last decade.

Sydney’s an example of a successful and quick rebuild. If Hawthorn and Collingwood keep this up, then they will also be examples of quick and successful rebuilds (although Collingwood’s one was assisted by father-son picks).

Our rebuild doesn’t have to be painful, but it’s probably the only option we have left now. I think it’s too late to refresh. Trying to refresh now will probably leave us in a position that Hawthorn were at the beginning of 2019.

There has been four forced changes this week (Aarts was not a forced change). Three of the players who have come in (including Ralphsmith, upgraded from medical sub to starter) are sub-23. A rebuild may be underway whether it was planned or not.

Bit harsh on Dow, since being Drafted he's played 7 games of VFL as there's hasn't been a comp to play in & a very limited # of AFL games. I agree they need to start pushing thier way into the snr's but to say "now or never" when they haven't had the chance to develope is a bit over the top IMO

**** right off with your common sense and reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCD fits the right age/size/draft position/experience profile for a rebuild.
Is he good enough though? I still don't know.
Honestly, I have no read on whether he is likely to make it or not. Should he be given an eight game block regardless, just to find out?

I’m not so sure. As Jack let out of the bag early days he tried to make us play like the hawks when we couldn’t and we won the 3 flags with a manic pressure game style. Mind you our team was full of stars in the absolute prime.
Personally I think a fresh face would be the way to go.
I can think of three clear examples where he adapted when things were not going well for us.

2014 - from memory I think we were 3W- 10L. We won the rest of the games in the H&A season to make finals. I can't remember a team coming back like that after the season appeared gone.

2016-2017 - In 2016 we finished 13th. He changed the game plan to be more tackling and pressure during the off season and won us our first dynasty premiership in 2017.

2020 - the team originally struggled to adapt to the shorter games and the hub conditions and we were really struggling in the first half of the shortened season. We ended adapting and ended up winning the premiership.

Last edited:

How many flags did Tommy win after us?

Last edited:
I can think of three clear examples where he adapted when things were not going well for us.

2014 - from memory I think we were 3W- 10L. We won the ready of the games in the H&A season to make finals. I can't remember a team coming back like that after the season appeared gone.

2016-2017 - In 2016 we finished 13th. He changed the game plan to be more tackling and pressure during the off season and won us our first dynasty premiership in 2017.

2020 - the team originally struggled to adapt to the shorter games and the hub conditions and we were really struggling in the first half of the shortened season. We ended adapting and ended up winning the premiership.
Need to correct you, Carracella changed the game plan and Dimma got on board.
Dimma is clearly a good coach as 3 flags testifies, but left to his own devices he isn’t that great.

Need to correct you, Carracella changed the game plan and Dimma got on board.
Dimma is clearly a good coach as 3 flags testifies, but left to his own devices he isn’t that great.

Go easy on me please.. first post but a supporter since 1969..does't mean i know anything but for what it is worth..
Rebuild... but by that i mean start now with what we have.. some of the young guys have been criminally under tried.
They haven't been given the chance to grow particularly lasy year except out of desperation.

My interpretation of the change Dimma made at the end of 2016 was that he let the reins go a bit and had more faith in the line coaches. 17,18,19,20 we still had most of the same staff and that was Tigers at their peak. We lose a few coaches and Dimma wants to control everything again, micro manage, and well, we are where we are.

So a combination of older list, loss of assistants and possibly Dimma reverting leaves us where we are.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Rebuild or refresh?

Back