Red cards in AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

It will create more controversy than ever before. Theres no clear line that can be drawn in the heat of moment, and those that are saying "önly when its clearcut" havent watched a lot of football over the years.

Games will be won or lost on the lottery of whether or not a player was or wasnt sent off or whether or not the offender caused minor or serious injury.

Dont need red cards and they will just make the game worse, not better. Just throw the book at the offender at the tribunal, in the clear light of day when everybody has had half a week to consider it.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath and consider the problem we're trying to solve here. I reject the suggestion that players are delibrately trying to knock out opponents with the intention of gaining the uncertain competitive advantage of having an extra player on the bench, something that teams already deal with pretty regularly through natural injuries. The only circumstance I could imagine a player making such a blatant calculation is on Grand Final day but I wouldn't want to see a separate system introduced specifically for that extremely rare possibility.

If wiping out the rest of your season isn't a sufficient deterrent then a red card system on the day certainly won't be.

What if it's your last game, a grand final and you can't be suspended?

Does it happen?

Do you have any evidence of this ever happening?

The only time I recall this was 2004 where Alistair Lynch swung some wild haymakers at Darrryl Wakelin at the start of the game and missed by a country mile. But he only did that because he knew he was injured and shouldnt have been out on the ground in the first place. He knew he'd let his team down before the game had even started.

This exactly. I’ve seen commentators saying there have only been two incidents worthy of a red card this year (Gaff & Cameron) but the reality is that once you open this can of worms, within 10-15 years it’s gonna be applied a whole lot differently than what we’re talking about now.

Please AFL, don’t open this can of worms.
Rubbish...every other sport has red cards...or send iff rules
..even motor car racing.....

They seem to manage it ok .....what the hell are we sacred off....yes you might get the odd one wromg....so what thats life.....

A red card would have calmed the players down.....and would be qn instant penalty

I also think k what we currently have IS NOT WORKING

WE ARE STILL SEEING THIS AND CAMERON AND OTHERS

OUR CURRENT SYSTEM FOR DISCOURAGING LAYERS IS NOT WORKING

yes the individual gets wphis whack post the game .....but nothing happens to penalise the team in the day

Last time I looked it’s a team game ....the dockers were a man down and gaff runs around still ....

If someone can rationally explain how that is fair and just I’d love to hear it

Gaff should have been sent off .....and west coast plays one short

Make the penalty strong so it discourages thuggery ....the current system is not working

Not rubbish. From watching over many years how rule introductions change over time, I have little doubt an ejection rule in AFL would follow the same path.

And I don’t care what other sports do.

Make the penalty strong so it discourages thuggery ....the current system is not working

4ED9110400000578-6033019-Andrew_Gaff_will_argue_he_tried_to_punch_Andrew_Brayshaw_s_chest-a-8_1533591900897.jpg

Gaff’s punch was not an act of thuggery; and similar punches are thrown every weekend. Gaff threw a punch at the level of the solar plexus and had the misfortune of Brayshaw putting his jaw right into the arc of the swing while bending his knees to run off. That’s not to say Gaff isn’t wholly liable for his reckless act, but the prospect of a red card in this instance would likely have had no influence on the outcome as it seems highly unlikely Gaff had any intention of hitting Brayshaw in the face.

What’s not working is allowing players to throw punches into each others bodies. Cripps got punched in the jaw this very same way from Howe, fortunately with less impact. If people want to stop incidents like this one, then looking at a red card system is just looking in the wrong place. Better for the MRP to hand out mandatory one game suspensions for any player found to have hit another over the weekends games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a workmate comment on the Gaff hit yesterday as it made the news in Queensland and he was shocked they didn’t send him off. I had to explain there is no send-off rule in AFL and he was genuinely even more shocked.

I like the idea of a yellow and red card system
- less severe violation is a yellow card, offender is sent off but can be replaced on-field - but offending player is out of the game, like the old ‘sub’ system. Reduces the offending player’s team to less bench rotations (effectively reducing bench by one player), and also subject to MRP for future suspension
- more severe violations, like the Gaff and Cameron hits, means red card, player is off, can’t be replaced on-field and subject to suspension and the ‘offending team’ is down to 17 on field for the rest of the match

They seem to manage it ok .....what the hell are we sacred off....yes you might get the odd one wromg....so what thats life.....

A red card would have calmed the players down.....and would be qn instant penalty

yes the individual gets wphis whack post the game .....but nothing happens to penalise the team in the day

Last time I looked it’s a team game ....the dockers were a man down and gaff runs around still ....

Questions: does a player have to be permanently out of the game for a red card to apply? How do you determine that level of severity at the time of the incident? Might there be cases where players begin feigning concussion in order to draw a red card for an illegal act behind the play? Regardless, what if the injured player is permitted to come back on the field after the 20 minute mandatory break? Should the other team remain at a numerical disadvantage?

As far as I'm concerned this opens a Pandora's box of issues. It's laughable to suggest that soccer offers a successful example of the application of red cards, where players are constantly flopping for free kicks like they've been shot and officials make inconsistent calls that unfairly cost sides games.

Me
Panic panic panic.
Snowflakers ffs

The same shithouse arguments are trotted out whenever this debate starts again, I just don't get it. How is the possibility of getting a decision wrong worse than the consequences of allowing someone to play out the game after taking an opponent out? There's no special reason why this sport should differ from virtually all others in its lack of a send-off rule or similar.

Not rubbish. From watching over many years how rule introductions change over time, I have little doubt an ejection rule in AFL would follow the same path.

4ED9110400000578-6033019-Andrew_Gaff_will_argue_he_tried_to_punch_Andrew_Brayshaw_s_chest-a-8_1533591900897.jpg

Gaff’s punch was not an act of thuggery; and similar punches are thrown every weekend. Gaff threw a punch at the level of the solar plexus and had the misfortune of Brayshaw putting his jaw right into the arc of the swing while bending his knees to run off. That’s not to say Gaff isn’t wholly liable for his reckless act, but the prospect of a red card in this instance would likely have had no influence on the outcome as it seems highly unlikely Gaff had any intention of hitting Brayshaw in the face.

What’s not working is allowing players to throw punches into each others bodies. Cripps got punched in the jaw this very same way from Howe, fortunately with less impact. If people want to stop incidents like this one, then looking at a red card system is just looking in the wrong place. Better for the MRP to hand out mandatory one game suspensions for any player found to have hit another over the weekends games.
this is probably the most sensible and balanced post from a non-eagles supporter on bigfooty right now. Well done.

I agree with your solution for preventing similar accidents happening again. Ban all closed-fist strikes by handing out suspensions. Whether its to the arm, chest, butt whatever. Automatic 1 game suspension. However i think a retrospective red card system could work. If the video ref sees whats happened like in the Gaff punch above then he should be sent off. Its more fair to the opposing team who are down 1 rotation. And in the event someone like Barry Hall went bonkers it would remove that person from the field before they can strike someone else.

Watch the live vision, especially the front on angle rather than a single shot. He's looking right at him and swings a massive haymaker to a moving target. If anything, Brayshaw changed his direction backwards trying to avoid the blow at the last sec but was wrong footed.

He was going for his head, otherwise he would have acted differently once he dropped him. It's a thug act and would be a red card if we had one.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result

If we don’t do something then guess what we will see similar acts again

People are so scared a red card might affect a result ...yeah it might

Guess what the punch left Freo short a player now we know they weren’t going to win anyway

Why on earth is everyone so scared of a send off rule .....we have replays we can use ......we have doctors that can determine the injury.....the doctor talks to the umpires watching the replays ....

A decision is made .....even if it’s a few minutes after ....it doesn’t matter

Do people think we are goi going to see our game go soft or something because we have a send off rule

The current system is Not working ....hello hello anyone out there

Questions: does a player have to be permanently out of the game for a red card to apply? How do you determine that level of severity at the time of the incident? Might there be cases where players begin feigning concussion in order to draw a red card for an illegal act behind the play? Regardless, what if the injured player is permitted to come back on the field after the 20 minute mandatory break? Should the other team remain at a numerical disadvantage?

As far as I'm concerned this opens a Pandora's box of issues. It's laughable to suggest that soccer offers a successful example of the application of red cards, where players are constantly flopping for free kicks like they've been shot and officials make inconsistent calls that unfairly cost sides games.

Do you think someone will flop a broken jaw to get someone else off the ground

Really oh please .....yes players flop for frees ....but I don’t th8 k we will see floppi g to get another guy sent from the field

Who decided what is "clear cut"? I mean, West coast fans are trying to tell us the Gaff punch was accidental. :)

Umpires watching vision

And a doctor can assess the players injuries ...the doctor assesses the player ...he communicates to the bunker .

.Something like it appears he will be out of the game and his teeth are broken would have been the chat between ...

Umpire says ok yup ......gaff is removed from field ...

Even if this takes five minutes ....you could see within a minute Bradshaw was seriously injured

You could see clearly gaff created that injury

What the hell is there to debate .........do you think players would fake a bloody mouth and fake a broken jaw to get someone sent off ......your kidding me aren’t you

On the accident thing ....he might have been trying to hit him in the chest and missed .....who knows but all the same it does t matter to me ....he should get 6-7 and I’m staunch eagles fan and admirer of Gaff

So there you go

Remove this Banner Ad

Red cards in AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back