Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I don't think this has been brought up here yet and I read it here:

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/03/15/1079199160086.html

The microphone worn by the umpires picked up Powell saying to the wounded Ling: "You got what you deserved, you red-headed ****."

Wouldn't this be a breach of the AFL's racial vilification laws? If indeed the microphone did pick this up, I would have thought Powell without a doubt has a case to answer.

Originally posted by bucksisbest
Racial vilification? No ,how is it racially villifying?
It might go under the lack of pigmentation chromosone villification laws, but not racial villification.
Actually it could be racial vilification, as the latest theory is that red headed people are supposedly direct descendants of the Neanderthals. :D

Originally posted by PAfolwr
Actually it could be racial vilification, as the latest theory is that red headed people are supposedly direct descendants of the Neanderthals. :D

Can you villify a species that no longer exists? Wouldnt it be special villifacation?

It might go under the lack of pigmentation chromosone villification laws, but not racial villification.

Uhhh....racial features includes hair. Red hair is a racial feature, as is pale skin, long toes and a big nose.

Originally posted by PAfolwr

I have heard this as well, neanderthals were in europe and cut off by the ice age, when the ice melted they were invaded by new races of people from Africa and interbred with them and ultimately pushed them out as they were more "advanced".

The survivors migrated to the Geelong district :D hence Bruns, Ling et all

"You got what you deserved, you red-headed ****."

"You got what you deserved, you black-skinned ****."

Different.? Hardly.

On a similar note, I was once called a "white ****" by an indigenous Australian while playing under 14's football. This was pre-racial vilification laws, but I wonder how far you could take something like that in this day and age.

Ling would have to make a complaint wouldn't he ? Isn't that how it usually works.

I doubt Ling would give a stuff anyway, I'm sure he's copped every red hair related name under the sun over the years.

It's different than racial abuse (skin colour, nationality etc), and hell why I am even bothering to say that, everyone knows it is, you can put up arguments to say otherwise, but when it comes down to it, they are just not the same thing.

Really?
So the next time I call someone a long toed **** , I could be deemed a racist?

If you want to be a pedant. But my point was that the article talked about how the AFL want to crack down on sledging. If the microphones did pick up Powell calling Ling a 'red-headed ****', then why don't the AFL send him to the tribunal? I assume the racial discrimination laws of the AFL don't racially discriminate, so the laws to charge Powell already exist.

Originally posted by The Phat Side
"You got what you deserved, you red-headed ****."

"You got what you deserved, you black-skinned ****."

Different.? Hardly.

That's a pretty ****ed up post mate.

Have you ever heard of a chain gang of bloodnuts? Ever seen a photo of a carrot-top being lynched? I thought not. You should try and stay awake during history class, then you might be able to decipher the difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Milkman

Have you ever heard of a chain gang of bloodnuts? Ever seen a photo of a carrot-top being lynched? I thought not. You should try and stay awake during history class, then you might be able to decipher the difference.
Very well put.

Pity this won't have the opposite effect and get the microphones off the umpires. During the Dons/Freo match here all you heard during the match was them wheezing, and of course you hear them groan every time they bounce the ball. Above all else, when you're yelling at the umpire about the decision he's just made, you can't hear his explanation because of the sound of your own voice!

Just another whizbang gimmick for the networks to fiddle about with. It's in the same area as 'going to the video' I think.

Well the AFL has decided to put a stop to this whole swearing business by announcing a player may be awarded a free kick if another player abuses him! :p

It sounds hilarious, but I actually saw it happen in a practice match a couple of weeks ago and it's going to drive the fans nuts. Croad and Simmonds had a harmless push and shove, ump let it go. The two had walked away from each other when Croad said something to Simmonds, umpire then paid a free directly in front.

As usual the AFL has overreacted and is pandering to the TV networks rather than considering 95% of profanities on the football field are said in the heat of the moment and are directed at no one or with any malice.

I love seeing the players get fired up and have a go at each other. Ling had been in the press whingeing and they got him and gave him a serve to go on with.

Instead of recognising it is a mans game played by angry young men and banning the mikes, the AFL try and do the impossible and shut the players up.

I am sick and tired of listening to an umpire lecture a players, 'listen to me Nick, listen to me'. No you git pay the free and hut up and let the game and player move on. If he argues ping him for 50. They sound like jockeys.

Originally posted by fabulousphil
I have heard this as well, neanderthals were in europe and cut off by the ice age, when the ice melted they were invaded by new races of people from Africa and interbred with them and ultimately pushed them out as they were more "advanced".

The survivors migrated to the Geelong district :D hence Bruns, Ling et all
In that case, it's lucky he didn't call him the missing Ling. :D

some good ideas there...

what do you call a red head in a black car? a Jaffa
what do call a red head at a university degree awarding ceremony? lost
What do call a red head in the army? target practice

I think its a *****er...

the blacks beat up on the whites, orientals and asians.
the asians beat up on the blacks, whites and orientals
the orientals beat up on the asians, blacks and whites
the whites beat up on the blacks, asians and orientals.

and they all get together to beat the **** out of the blood nuts...

talk about a rough deal.

I can just see it now:
the blonde ceiling = why red heads don't get promoted
the LFR (liberation front for Redheads - fighting for an independant moe)
a new book:, men are from mars, women are from venus and redheads from sibling breeding programs..in moe

I also liked what one person said on the weekend, red heads are a regressive (instead of recessive) gene, I laughed so hard on that one.

Have you ever heard of a chain gang of bloodnuts? Ever seen a photo of a carrot-top being lynched?

Irish convicts could well have met the first description.

In any case, its still racist, same as if you call me a wog bastard, even though I haven't been lynched or put in a chain gang.

This is the problem. Where do you draw the line?

"What is said on the footy field stays on the footy field."
Does every-one remember that line?

Why do we need to be politically correct on a sporting arena? It's a sport and if you are mentally weak then you'll be put off your game. How many people have played competitive spot at any level and received "jibes"? What was the best way to answer or make them stop? By ensuring they couldn't get into your head, either by kicking a goal or making a statement of some sort with your abilities.

This is what it's all about. Only the weak get trapped into the war of words and unfortunately, there are plenty of them nowadays.

I’m not condoning racial taunts but it’s part of sport and we should have left it alone.

Originally posted by Black JuJu
Ling would have to make a complaint wouldn't he ? Isn't that how it usually works.

I doubt Ling would give a stuff anyway, I'm sure he's copped every red hair related name under the sun over the years.

It's different than racial abuse (skin colour, nationality etc), and hell why I am even bothering to say that, everyone knows it is, you can put up arguments to say otherwise, but when it comes down to it, they are just not the same thing.

For some reason I've always favoured the sledge 'fire-truck head' in instances like this.......

Originally posted by Rob
If you want to be a pedant. But my point was that the article talked about how the AFL want to crack down on sledging. If the microphones did pick up Powell calling Ling a 'red-headed ****', then why don't the AFL send him to the tribunal? I assume the racial discrimination laws of the AFL don't racially discriminate, so the laws to charge Powell already exist.

Grow up you moron - just because it was picked up by microphones what relevance does this have in contrast to any one of a thousand similar incidents on Saturday night? What about Mooney sledging Hammill after getting him high? And how exactly are you going to prove that the voice is Powell, it is all speculation..... Voice analysis tests? I can't believe that for once I agree with Tony Shaw on this - stop ****ing tinkering with our game and trying to make it a nancy game for mama's boys like netball or squash or something. If you don't like a bit of hard competition don't play or don't watch. And I repeat you're an idiot for even suggesting Powell should face the tribunal even if you're just trying to make a point about the rule's interpretation......

Remove this Banner Ad

Red-headed ****

Remove this Banner Ad

Back