Red-headed ****

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by morgoth
Ling had been in the press whingeing and they got him and gave him a serve to go on with.

Jubs asked and didn't get an answer, so my turn, when was Ling in the press whinging?

Saw him on the news talking about Hammills tactics, can't remember which station as lets face it between Thompson, Sanderson and Ling it all became quite tedious.

Obviously Powell saw the same newscast.

Originally posted by Porthos
In any case, its still racist, same as if you call me a wog bastard, even though I haven't been lynched or put in a chain gang.

A racist is somebody who believes their own race is superior to others. A racist is NOT somebody who believes their hair colour is superior to others.

This really shouldn't have to be explained.

Powell YOU CHAMPION!!!! Totally the TV/media FAULT!!! Lets take out the bloody mics and let their be "FOOTBALL"

Its a game of tough physical battle and players need to let tension out and its far better coming out verbally than a punch in the face!!!!

Besides happens all the time Ling couldnt give two hoots about it!! hes a man although the team he plays for suggests otherwise (pussies)

Originally posted by Milkman
A racist is somebody who believes their own race is superior to others. A racist is NOT somebody who believes their hair colour is superior to others.

This really shouldn't have to be explained.
Ever seen that documentary "brown eyes-blue eyes" or whatever it was called?

In any case, its still racist, same as if you call me a wog bastard, even though I haven't been lynched or put in a chain gang.

Having a go at someone because of their hair colour is racist???
HA HA! That's the funniest thing I've heard.
It is not racist. Please look up the meaning of the word.

How much crack are you smoking by the way?

Originally posted by SurreyBlue
This is the problem. Where do you draw the line?

"What is said on the footy field stays on the footy field."
Does every-one remember that line?

and what's done in the bedroom stays in the bedroom.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by SurreyBlue
Why do we need to be politically correct on a sporting arena? It's a sport and if you are mentally weak then you'll be put off your game. How many people have played competitive spot at any level and received "jibes"? What was the best way to answer or make them stop? By ensuring they couldn't get into your head, either by kicking a goal or making a statement of some sort with your abilities.

This is what it's all about. Only the weak get trapped into the war of words and unfortunately, there are plenty of them nowadays.

I’m not condoning racial taunts but it’s part of sport and we should have left it alone.

You are condoning racial taunts by saying that a person should just put up with it because it's done on the footy field. Make up your mind.

Racial taunts are unacceptable. Period.

Originally posted by Black JuJu
Ling would have to make a complaint wouldn't he ? Isn't that how it usually works.

I doubt Ling would give a stuff anyway, I'm sure he's copped every red hair related name under the sun over the years.

It's different than racial abuse (skin colour, nationality etc), and hell why I am even bothering to say that, everyone knows it is, you can put up arguments to say otherwise, but when it comes down to it, they are just not the same thing.

Exactly. Also they cop it alot because if you notice a large majority of redheads are big heads. Not saying Ling is because I do not know him but I'm sure every school had an annoying red-head. lol

Irish convicts could well have met the first description.

Ye make a good point ya woggy bastard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Harvey to Hayes
Grow up you moron - just because it was picked up by microphones what relevance does this have in contrast to any one of a thousand similar incidents on Saturday night? What about Mooney sledging Hammill after getting him high? And how exactly are you going to prove that the voice is Powell, it is all speculation..... Voice analysis tests? I can't believe that for once I agree with Tony Shaw on this - stop ****ing tinkering with our game and trying to make it a nancy game for mama's boys like netball or squash or something. If you don't like a bit of hard competition don't play or don't watch. And I repeat you're an idiot for even suggesting Powell should face the tribunal even if you're just trying to make a point about the rule's interpretation......

What a f*ckwit you are.

If the AFL want to crack down on it, then there is apparently footage and sound of Powell abusing Ling straight after he just got smashed in the head. How much worse would the sledging need to be if the AFL really wanted to crack down on it?

And I would imagine that it wouldn't be too hard to prove it was Powell saying it if they tried hard enough. There wouldn't be too many players in Lings general area with their face to him and moving their lips at the same time as the audio.

Just like to say i couldnt stop laughing after i heard that comment. Not only cause it is because i hate lingy but still its good to be that close to the action. I was watching the cricket a few days back and you heard warney gilly and ponting talkin around the stumps and they were so funny like swearing and stuff it was a good listen. I say keep it there.

Originally posted by Rob
I don't think this has been brought up here yet and I read it here:

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/03/15/1079199160086.html

The microphone worn by the umpires picked up Powell saying to the wounded Ling: "You got what you deserved, you red-headed ****."

Wouldn't this be a breach of the AFL's racial vilification laws? If indeed the microphone did pick this up, I would have thought Powell without a doubt has a case to answer.

Being red headed is a race ???

PS, he can come and play for Collingwood anytime !!

Originally posted by The Phat Side
"You got what you deserved, you red-headed ****."

"You got what you deserved, you black-skinned ****."

Different.? Hardly.

Hardly ???

My history book misses the bit about the 500 years of red heads being sold in slavery..

The might be the male answer to the blond :D but hardly a racial issue !!

Jezzzzzzzz FHChrist......what next:rolleyes: .......Next there will be trial by Audio:rolleyes: ........Truly getting beyond the joke......The Media and the Television are killing footy:(

Originally posted by crudbucket
Hardly ???

My history book misses the bit about the 500 years of red heads being sold in slavery..

The might be the male answer to the blond :D but hardly a racial issue !!

Try telling people that the Nazi blond hair/blue eye purity traits had nothing to with racism ;)

Originally posted by Rodion
I don't think Ling gives a stuff what Powell said. He's a better player and a better man than Powell anyway, which might be why Powell targets him every time they play.

Perhaps. The thing that everyone has missed is that Ling was one of Geelong's best players on the night after being cleaned up as well. Personally I think the mikes should be removed though, the tribunal is harsh enough, and surely the players (and umpires) are entitled to a little privacy in the middle.

Originally posted by PAfolwr
Actually it could be racial vilification, as the latest theory is that red headed people are supposedly direct descendants of the Neanderthals. :D
And what are u a descendant of?.Bothriolepis groenlandis perchance?.

Rasism is a touchy subject, so it is hard to determine exactly what rasism is.

"You Red-harided bastard' Is not rasist as they are pointing out a character in his apperaince, not race. It is offensive, but not rasist.

"You black bastard"... Im not sure about this one. Most people would instaintly call it rasist, but if you take what was said above, it seems a bit blurry. The colour of someones skin is a racial trate, just like the colour of someones hair. But there is no referaince to the persons race, so in this respect it isnt really rasist.

"You aboriginal bastard" would be rasist because it is refering to race.

Obviously the meaning behind the comment is more importaint than what is being said, but you can go on trial for meaning behind phrases.

I dont think history doesnt have anything to do with this topic though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Red-headed ****

Remove this Banner Ad

Back