Universal Love Remembering the 04 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes it is annoying that it is 20 years since our last flag, but let's leave that aside and have one positive thread.

Who was there?
What are your favourite memories?
What was your favourite play?
What have you enjoyed most about watching the players relive it?

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was in the nose bleeds at the top of the MCG stands. My Dad and brother in similar spots but almost exactly equally spread around the ground.

My highlights were getting a photo with Scott Hodges in the 7-11 before the game and Gav's 4th goal which was when I finally felt like we would win it (and started crying).

Last edited:

What have you enjoyed most about watching the players relive it?

It's quite funny watching how they're actually nervous watching the replay 20 years later as though the game is happening right now. Can't say I have that reaction to the GF but I certainly do with the PF.

Every time I watch it back I am amazed how close the game was until late in the third. Because we won by 40 points there's a tendency to think we cruised to a win but the game was well and truly in the balance until early in the last quarter.

I was behind the goals (not sure which end...the construction site was to our right) with my parents and uncle. We'd all had quite a few nerve settling drinks before the game. Vaguely remember seeing Kath and Kim going back through the tunnel. Uncle belted a bloke in the dunny for tugging his mullet. Everything is a bit of a blur other than seeing choppy running/bouncing towards the other end, wangas on his back after a goal and seeing choco come down the stairs on the big screen. I was one of the people helping Von down the stairs to the fence, yelling out to choco (pic in the Herald Sun the next day). Went to Punt Road to celebrate, then went to a pub where some dickhead crows supporter was giving the old "surprised you didn't choke / you only have one flag we have two" before being strongly encouraged to leave by staff and other patrons who were congratulating us. Went up Lygon street and got a pizza, my dad fell off the bluestone gutter and busted his ankle as he was eating a slice and holding the box. Then I woke up sick as a dog before dodging trams on the way out of Melbourne. Good times. I was 23.

Watched the game from Alberton and stayed for the post match celebrations.

Probably didn't relax until Kingers goal haha - the old Leigh Matthews theory of more goals than minutes.

Dimma baiting Aker, resulting in Pickett's 3 bounce goal down the Southern stand wing, had me absolutely out of my seat.

Was at the punt road end, was a great day, never felt relaxed until the final siren.. heck we celebrated afterwards, missed the party at Alberton that night stuck in melb but got there the next day.

our indigenous stars came to play and destroyed them either one could have taken home norm.

We went after them that day right from the first bounce, smashed them at every opportunity it was real Port Adelaide football

Even watching replays and the stuff the club has brought out this week brings a tear to my eye.

Would have never believed it would be the only one 20 years later.

I watched it at a bbq with a bunch of coworkers and friends. I was relatively new in the country. I got pissed and carried-on like an idiot when we won, abused a few crows supporters in attendance, etc. Like a true Port feral, I was told. So pretty proud actually. Very fond memories.

There, just a bit around to the right, from the southern goals, only a few rows back. Wanganeen’s last goal was the point where I was sure we were going to win and could just enjoy from then on without nerves. Choco’s choking gesture and dig at Allan Scott were a release valve for all Port fans, not just him, after the previous three years of finals flops.

Unfortunately a Mission Accomplished mindset and the exodus of strong Port people off-field takes some of the edge off it, but given by the time I was old enough to really start enjoying our SANFL flags it was clearly a step below the VFL, it remains the most enjoyable of Port flags seen live in either league for me.

Last edited:
It's quite funny watching how they're actually nervous watching the replay 20 years later as though the game is happening right now. Can't say I have that reaction to the GF but I certainly do with the PF.

Every time I watch it back I am amazed how close the game was until late in the third. Because we won by 40 points there's a tendency to think we cruised to a win but the game was well and truly in the balance until early in the last quarter.
I was at the game. I was getting married the following weekend and about halfway through the third quarter my my best man sitting next to me told me I needed a back up plan for a best man if the game finished in a draw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the game. I was getting married the following weekend and about halfway through the third quarter my my best man sitting next to me told me I needed a back up plan for a best man if the game finished in a draw
Which week were you more nervous/emotional?

I was at the game and was horrified when I found out my seat was in the nosebleeds as I was a foundation platinum member (club explained later the ticketing was stuffed up). Not a good start, immediately felt like I was going to fall out of the sky so went and stood in the bays behind the goals (maybe the Olympic Stand). The view wasn't great but the atmosphere was amazing.

Think I saw some old Magpies premiership players roaming around, Rohan Smith, Roger Delaney, possibly Mark Tylor.

Favourite moments were a couple of Byron's bouncing runs, Dewy's late goal but the classic moment for me was Port kicking to my end and Gav ducked behind the Brisbane players (maybe Keating and Chris Scott)- Mahoney kicked the ball running through the centre, and from where I was I could see Gav had read the flight perfectly and the ball was going to clear the pack.

Saw Chris Scott realise too late what was happening as Gav took the ball and ran into goal to put us 3 goals up. The game was broken open at that point as far as I was concerned and I enjoyed it from then on, after some early worrying moments.

Gets a good run here

I had great seats at the 2007 grand final.

Animated GIF

I miss Choco :( Bring him back home
If we had strong, knowledgeable football people in Richardson and Davies roles, and a coach with both a brain and spine, who'd slap him down if he tried to overstep you could have Choco back in a development role with younger players. He's still one of the best around in that capacity. We have none of that at present.

I had great seats at the 2007 grand final.

Animated GIF
Yep likewise. Slightly closer to the goals than in 2004. Close enough to have hope until Brett Ebert missed the easy enough goal early. You could see Geelong's nerves settle at that point (it's hard to remember they were nervous at the start, with their - then - long history of Grand final chokes) and the rest was Dank enabled history.

I was there with blackdiamond. We were in the third row of the Olympic stand, two rows directly behind Dipper.

Favourite memories: There are many, but probably the moment I knew we had won the game, the whole Choco moment, and Jack handing off the cup. Post-game memories were drinking way too much, then being denied entry into the Crown until we took our Port stuff off and then putting it straight back once we were in. The atmosphere in Melbourne pre and post-game.

My favourite play was definitely Dew's late goal; port fans around us went berserk.

I really hope I get to experience a premiership with my daughters in the near future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Remembering the 04 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back