Retirements and trades for mature players

Remove this Banner Ad

Methuselah

Debutant
Feb 17, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Other Teams
WCE
Interesting note on the WCE page about the retirement of 4 players Prior, Harding, Merenda and Taylor who were apparently picked up in 2000 trading to ensure some maturity in the team during a transitional phase.
How many games did these guys play during their period at the club out of the total number possible?
I think it is fairly clear we did not get much out of this strategy. Not one of Ken Judges better moves.

Did he have any? We never hear of them.

Re: Re: Retirements and trades for mature players

Originally posted by carlyp

Name one of his good moves?
From this idea to playing Jakovich up forward!
He was a stubbie short of a 6 pack!

Definitely one of his better moves

Jako was getting regularly beaten for pace down back, he added some much needed physical presence and energy to the forward line, and also seemed to relish the opportunity.

Re: Re: Re: Retirements and trades for mature players

Originally posted by Thrawn666

Definitely one of his better moves

Jako was getting regularly beaten for pace down back, he added some much needed physical presence and energy to the forward line, and also seemed to relish the opportunity.

I just reckon that Jako looked funny up forward. I know he was a forward in his junior days but I just liked him down back.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Retirements and trades for mature players

Originally posted by carlyp

I just reckon that Jako looked funny up forward. I know he was a forward in his junior days but I just liked him down back.

No, I reckon you were having a go at Judge and thought it was a stupid move :D

I expect to see a lot more of Jako up forward this year. We can have Jako, Wilson and Lynch rotating through there and intimidate many teams.

Originally posted by El Cid
I expect to see a lot more of Jako up forward this year. We can have Jako, Wilson and Lynch rotating through there and intimidate many teams.
I will be surprised if he moved away from CHB all season. Granted we need to blood a CHB, but we need to blood a CHF as well.

I think Jako could be valuable at CHF if there is no suitable match up at CHB (eg against Port where Tredrea would kill him with speed). He's also useful up forward as an impact player, as in the final against Essendon.

Originally posted by Methuselah
Interesting note on the WCE page about the retirement of 4 players Prior, Harding, Merenda and Taylor who were apparently picked up in 2000 trading to ensure some maturity in the team during a transitional phase.
How many games did these guys play during their period at the club out of the total number possible?
I think it is fairly clear we did not get much out of this strategy. Not one of Ken Judges better moves.
Prior and merenda in particular were very excxiting recruits for the club, it's just a pity that they weren't able to stay injury free for the club.

Merenda was a favourite of mine, always exciting to watch and exceptionally skillful. Prior was a top player who I hoped would kick on, but obviously with West Coast's young running talent, and the imminent return of Morrison and Read, there was going to be no opportunities for him.

Fair dinkum, I know you blokes don't like Judgey, but he inherited the team at a terrible time. There was NO CHANCE for him to come out smelling rosey. I hope you all recoginse that this year's improvement has included the development of players on our list that Judgey was a huge part of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merenda did VERY well in 2001. That goal we will always remember, and he did EVERYthing he could to stay fit, heck he did a program for ballerinas/gymnasts or something called Pilates, he WANTED to play, it worked 2001, pity not 2002

Thanks both of you for the time we had and i hope merenda and prior have something to do with the club next year.

The only good thing about the Judge era is that he was sacked.

Though we did get Collica and to an extent, Taylor and Merenda to play for the club, what ever time they did have with the club proved valuable.

As for GJ at Half Forward.....No.

Always a CHB.

In all fairness Jako had preseason ankle surgery that year and was very slow. Many teams took their CHF to the goal square and had them leading out well in front of Jako. We had few options at CHF that year and putting a slow Jako there was a reasonable option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retirements and trades for mature players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back