Analysis Review v Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I know there will be many frustrated by Gilbo, but his job on Stringer was outstanding. Completely shut down FIGJAM Jake.

Schneider out of it. He'll have felt it too.

Dunstan needs a huge preseason. Yes he's very, very clean and calm and he uses it really well but his running isn't up to scratch.

Steven tried his heart out and was great for the most but his kicking can kill us, especially when he tires, but he more than makes up for it.

Billings plays, we win. He would have made Wood accountable in the air and on the ground. As it is our smalls were terrible, though that's an anomaly.

I'm still concerned that our game plan won't work against the best sides, those who are too slick for us, those that will patiently work their way through our press and find the inevitable loose. That being said this might just be the case of fatigue, but we're seemingly always caught out by mids floating forward of the contest.

I actually think Minch suffers from his stature at AFL level, because when in AFL, the game shifts tempo's and it ebbs and flows as teams jostle, he seems to be in a void, going at the same tempo unable to take that next step or increase his game to match. He'll then go back to the VFL and play well because it is a step down in the the terms of how you actually have to output and the rate at which you actually have to work, it's the same issue I have with Saunders in that he seems to only have one trick and whilst it's done well enough, there are others who do it better and are better suited for AFL.

Newnes needs to clean up his tackling, only slight on him is that he always looks guilty when he's tackling from behind the player in the same sense that Gwilt always looked guilty before he cannoned into the back. Newnes needs to drop the arms a bit lower and take the elbows, right now, he appears to be going for the bicep and slipping up. Otherwise I don't get why people criticise him, I just don't see it as he is a smart footballer, a good disposer of the footy and a competent run with player, and HBF. Will be a solid player for us and we could have done much worse than draft him.

For an attacking player, Savage seems somewhat neutered, Webster the same, they seem to be focusing more on their defensive side than what they can do offensively for us, or have lost confidence to do it on the stage int he heat of the moment. We are a better side when our better longer kicks are int he back half are able to both be the defensive player we need them to be on the creative types, and then create and release once we attain possession. At the moment, they seem to be taking less risks and leaving it to Dempster/Gilbert/Robbo/Newnes to create instead.

Impressed with Longer, seems to be growing nicely into the ruck role and can see why some rate him highly, arguably we missed Billings disposal in the front half more than we missed Billings, and only pet hate with Bruce is that he seems to like playing from behind his opponent in the 50 so he can run and jump, needs to play in front more than he does and not be afraid enough to try and unsettle anyone cramping his space. Make them earn that intercept.

Membrey needs to quicken his disposal by about 2 seconds, there are options and I think sometimes the options might delay him as he assess them and then they close up because finite windows. KISS the footy Members, 1st option is generally best option and trust your gut and yourself to pick right.

Just got home from the game. Happy with the effort. Tackling was great but disposal and direct turnovers were the killers. We should have been 2 or 3 goals up at quarter time and kicked on from there. As Rough_Edges said earlier, luckily it seems to be our older players who were the main culprits. Let's keep drafting skilful players and in a year or two hopefully we'll be approaching Hawthorn-like kicking skills.

Playing a team who has cut the opposition up with half back run a season. Almost non-existent tonight.

Dominate inside fifties

Senior players commit multiple clangers that result in direct goals. In a game we lost by a goal.

Shut down Bonts, Stringer, Dahlhaus.

Dominate field position

Dogs flood back, make it difficult to hit targets, experienced players don't lower their eyes.

Sorry mate, only thing that's very poor in all this is your post.

Richo set us up to win the game comfortably. The fact the players didn't take chances, is why we lost.

Way off the mark.

Spot on!

Does anyone believe Gilbert should remain in the team moving forward? I'd prefer Acres or Mckenzie over him.

He is/was a great match-up for Stringer so he is worth being in the team for his defensive stuff. Gilbo's kicking has always been streaky as he is a risk-taker: I'm of the opinion that his kicking is better when the team is better. His kicking just hurts us more when we are a team struggling near the bottom of the ladder. Reckon his good outweighs his bad but can understand why he frustrates.

Great effort, but skills were just horrid. I think there are some concerns for both sides actually, that was a really poor standard game. The Pies are now emerging as a far superior list at this stage as well as the obvious GWS factor. Confident we can bridge the gap, but need another big off-season.

Personally not worried about what the Doggies will look like in 3 years, I just don't see how Boyd is ever going to be elite and the Bont has to be the most overhyped player I can honestly ever remember. People getting caught up with his height, maybe because Fyfe is currently the best player in the comp and suddenly this is the new prototype. The difference is Fyfe attacks the ball like an animal, the Bont will never be this kind of contested beast. Couple this with his lack of pace and he will always be susceptible to a tag. He actually plays just like his cousin just a slightly taller build.

In short, we can take these guys in a couple of years. The Pies and obviously GWS are going to be a much bigger problem.

Does anyone believe Gilbert should remain in the team moving forward? I'd prefer Acres or Mckenzie over him.

gilbo adds a lot but it's the few incredibly bad things he does that ruins his whole game. bar those hideous turnovers he played well and really broke it up. also he helped show the Package Stringer where he's really at.

His defensive work and one on one contests were very good.

He just needs to learn that he has lost a yard of pace and about 5m off his best kick and play accordingly with ball in hand.

He isnt the prime mover he once was but it seems like nobody has had the courage to say it to his face.

I thought Richo completely out coached Bevo. He had them structure to give us the best chance. Doggies are not a side that defends well, they've played mainly an attack at all costs brand

Richo stopped that and gave us the best chance to win it

The players execution is what cost us. Not coaching or structure

I actually think Minch suffers from his stature at AFL level, because when in AFL, the coaches stick him in the forward pocket all night rather than playing him in the middle where he has dominated the VFL

EFA.

Should be our Lachie Neale but they want him to be McQualter 2.0

His defensive work and one on one contests were very good.

He just needs to learn that he has lost a yard of pace and about 5m off his best kick and play accordingly with ball in hand.

He isnt the prime mover he once was but it seems like nobody has had the courage to say it to his face.

I reckon he might get told to his face during a very specific one on one video review during the week. He's also coming off a long injury, takes a while to get back up to the speed of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was at the game.

Positives

Newnes was outstanding, his work rate, his physicality and his tackling were excellent.

Membrey was really good IMO, his WR was terrific and even more visible watching him live, Bruce, Roo and he can form a really good trio down forward.

Riewoldt: Everyone knows how hard he works but his last quarter work rate was absolutely unbelievable.

Tackling and Intencity

Negatives

Disposal, as mentioned turnovers killed the Saints and in really bad areas of the ground. Gilbert, Schneider were pretty poor IMO.

Umpiring.

Too many old guys making rookie mistakes. I would much rather have Acres, McKenzie and Sinclair in the team over Gilbert, Ray and Schneider. Those older guys will rack up ok stats and do some good things but they keep making the same mistakes over and over again while depriving kids of a senior spot. Roo, Dempster, Fisher, Geary and Joey are all veterans who are playing well enough to keep their spot and I think that is plenty of veterans in a rebuilding side.

We really missed the composure of Billings and Sinclair. Our three tall forwards were very good, although we really needed to cut the influence of Wood and Murphy. Delaney was excellent as well; good to see him step up. We need to get more value out of Savage. He just isn't having much of an impact at the moment. And Dunstan just about has to be subbed off at three quarter time every week; 13 disposals in the first half, 3 in the third quarter and 1 in the last suggests he just doesn't have the tank required yet. Ross outstanding in his one quarter and Newnes played his best game for the year.

I thought Richo completely out coached Bevo. He had them structure to give us the best chance. Doggies are not a side that defends well, they've played mainly an attack at all costs brand

Richo stopped that and gave us the best chance to win it

The players execution is what cost us. Not coaching or structure
Very true we played some dumb football tonight even for our standards. its the same old story. this loss was worse than the essendon game we dominated the first half For no return.

Frustrated to lose a game to mediocre opposition who we dominated.

Butchered the ball constantly and turnovers cost us the game.

Frustrated because our game style and structure is in place but the polish is just not there.

Footscray supporters booing Ray in his 200th and Riewoldt - all class.

Boyd is a $1 million a year spud. Will be a poor mans Tippett.

Don't understand the Delany hate. Thought he Killed Boyd and Shiner was good aswell. Felt the whole night we were happy to go along the flanks and the back 50 hence the over use. Rarely if ever did we go through the guts like we've done in the past.

Delaney pantsed the $1 million spud

Thought whoever played on that Melon head Stringer had a great game, not sure if it was Dempster or Gilbert
Membrey was also very good tonight, hopefully he can string a couple of performances together

Richardson's match day coaching again shown to be very poor!

His (AR) game plan tonight and match ups made us an ordinary side. Slow forward movement allowed the Dogs to flood back in numbers and gave our delivery and fowards no chance. We allowed the Dogs to double and triple team Reiwoldt or Bruce and they just waited for the spoils.

Playing Schnieder on Wood all game was as sound a coaching move as Roos with Oxley against the Pies. Disgraceful!

Should have won by 5 goals, that game took us back, there was nothing to be gained from that loss. AR has again shown he is an incompetent coach when Plan A doesnt work!

AR and selection decisons:
I say it every year but for gods sake trade of Gilbert or at least dont play him in defence!
Delaney form is that bad its laughable - play Goddard!
Schnieder has the heart the size of a pea, play the kids let him coach from the side lines.
Back our defence in to run and carry more!
Team looked completely stymied and 'over coached' tonight, too many players second guessing themselves.

For me tonight was our most disappointing loss for the year because with skme sound coaching moves we should have won! I think Richo is a promising coach lets just hope he learns from games like this!
I'm sorry but I disagree with all of this.
The game plan and match-ups were absolutely spot on tonight.
We shut down all of their scoring threats, beat them in clearances and contested ball and had more tackles against the best tackling side in the league.
The only reason we lost was excercusion.
Even Luke Bevridge said he was out coached tonight.
Have no idea what game you watched.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Review v Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back